EVGA

1080ti Step Up, limited to Founders Edition, if Founders the best choice?

Author
EtherealEye
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/03/11 14:47:41 (permalink)
According to the Step Up program you can only step up to reference clock speed cards. This presents a fair shot at the silicon lotto for the founders edition cards but when it comes to custom cards with EVGA made PCB's where there are OC and non OC versions, is there any safeguard to say the non OC edition of that card is not one that failed to meet the OC condition?

This is the case with the FTW over the FTW DT edition cards.

http://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1080+Ti

Right now on the 1080 ti page there is only the founders and 3 unreleased OC versions so perhaps the founders is all I can go for. I'd like to wait for one with a better cooler for step up so I feel like I am being forced into getting a liquid cooling system just for this card or waiting on a hybrid kit to release. If I submit for step up am I able to cancel the request if a new 1080ti pops up before mine is sent out?

2 Replies Related Threads

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: 1080ti Step Up, limited to Founders Edition, if Founders the best choice? 2017/03/11 14:54:13 (permalink)
    EtherealEye
    According to the Step Up program you can only step up to reference clock speed cards. This presents a fair shot at the silicon lotto for the founders edition cards but when it comes to custom cards with EVGA made PCB's where there are OC and non OC versions, is there any safeguard to say the non OC edition of that card is not one that failed to meet the OC condition?

This is the case with the FTW over the FTW DT edition cards.

http://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1080+Ti

Right now on the 1080 ti page there is only the founders and 3 unreleased OC versions so perhaps the founders is all I can go for. I'd like to wait for one with a better cooler for step up so I feel like I am being forced into getting a liquid cooling system just for this card or waiting on a hybrid kit to release. If I submit for step up am I able to cancel the request if a new 1080ti pops up before mine is sent out?

EVGA like other AIB's bins a certain number of GPU's via testing for their different models. Once they reached the quota they need, they stop. In other words, vanilla GPU's may or may not have been binned or tested for stability at a higher speed. The sole advantage of a higher clocked card is you are guaranteed the higher clock but not 1mhz more.  So, as with vanilla cards you are still subject to the lottery... you just start a bin or two higher. You should communicate directly with EVGA on your step up options. I don't know if you can withdraw and apply again.
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2017/03/11 14:56:16

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

JosephL
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 662
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 1080ti Step Up, limited to Founders Edition, if Founders the best choice? 2017/03/11 15:00:50 (permalink)
    EVGA does not bin their cards unless to guarantee a minimum base/boost clock speed. Everyone has an equal and fair shot at the silicon lottery.

The FTW DT cards are specifically designed for people who would like some of the benefits of the FTW cards (RGB LEDs, power phases, BIOS selector, etc.) but prefer to run at Nvidia recommended reference speeds for longevity.

As long as you are still within the 90 days from the purchase date you can cancel and resubmit your Step Up request. Once you are outside of the 90 days you will not be able to reenter the program.

If you have a moment, please rate my service. We appreciate the feedback!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile