EVGA

EVGA Precision XOC ICX edition Doesn't boot when a second card is installed

Author
Fullmetal1212
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/03/07 20:12:35 (permalink)
I run a EVGA 1080 SC ICX card, The Precision XOC software was working perfectly fine, however I had to add a second card so I could run my VR headset, and still keep my 4 monitors up. I installed a Passive cooled MSI Gt 710 Media card to just run the auxiliary monitor.

EDIT 2: As Nvidia Cards Only support 4 display heads, Regardless of the config. As the 1080SC ICX has 3 display ports, 1 hdmi and 1 dvi, it has the ports needed to run all 5 display's but the architecture doesn't allow for all 5 ports to be used.

So I run,
On the 1080SC ICX card - 4 displays max.
Nvidia surround - 3 display heads
Oculus Vr Headset - 1 display head

On the 710 Media Card also 4 displays max
A 4th auxillary monitor. - this is used when surround gaming/general computing...

I do this because Nvidia still hasn't figured out how to support more than 4 display heads(monitors), so the only way to use an oculus on the 1080 while maintaining my display config, is to install a second card, or disable a monitor all the time. This process screws with the position of windows and icons in Windows.

Since installing that card Precision XOC refuses to launch touting ICX cards only. I don't wish to use this software on the media card at all as there is no reason to use software like this, but it would be nice to still use it on my 1080.

EDIT: Is there a option to ignore the second card? Or is there a way that could be added?

Not sure why icx software would be detecting other cards
post edited by Fullmetal1212 - 2017/03/07 21:40:58

7 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC ICX edition Doesn't boot when a second card is installed 2017/03/07 20:18:38 (permalink)
    The icx program is specific to the icx cards, so it may be a conflict to have a non-icx card installed.
    Fullmetal1212
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC ICX edition Doesn't boot when a second card is installed 2017/03/07 20:28:48 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    The icx program is specific to the icx cards, so it may be a conflict to have a non-icx card installed.

Well I know that, I was wondering if there was a way to work around this.. short of Just not using the ICX system in the card.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC ICX edition Doesn't boot when a second card is installed 2017/03/07 21:01:10 (permalink)
    For now, i suggest pulling the gtx 710.

What are you using the 710 for?
    Fullmetal1212
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC ICX edition Doesn't boot when a second card is installed 2017/03/07 21:14:55 (permalink)
    To run the auxillary monitor......

I run,
    On the 1080SC ICX card - 4 displays max.
    Nvidia surround - 3 display heads
    Oculus Vr Headset - 1 display head

On the 710 Media Card also 4 displays max
    A 4th auxillary monitor. - this is used when surround gaming/general computing...

I do this because Nvidia still hasn't figured out how to support more than 4 display heads(monitors), so the only way to use an oculus on the 1080 while maintaining my display config, is to install a second card, or disable a monitor all the time. This process screws with the position of windows and icons in Windows.

This is why i want it to just ignore the second graphics card, as there is nothing for the software to change. As the software is ICX specific, i dont know why it even detects the second card
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC ICX edition Doesn't boot when a second card is installed 2017/03/07 21:21:27 (permalink)
    If you disable precision x, the 1080 fans should work through their firmware.

You could possibly use a display port hub to run multiple monitors off one port. I have never used one, and do not know if it would support that, but it is a thought for now.
    Fullmetal1212
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC ICX edition Doesn't boot when a second card is installed 2017/03/07 21:40:07 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    If you disable precision x, the 1080 fans should work through their firmware.

You could possibly use a display port hub to run multiple monitors off one port. I have never used one, and do not know if it would support that, but it is a thought for now.

Nvidia Cards Only support 4 display heads, Regardless of the config. As the 1080SC ICX has 3 display ports, 1 hdmi and 1 dvi, it has the ports needed to run all 5 display's but the architecture doesn't allow for all 5 ports to be used. As stated above.

I have tested this with Display-port MST chaining, which is all that a Display-port hub Does. The literal only way to have 5 displays, is to have two cards. I bought the 1080 to run my surround without doing SLI as surround has enough bugs without running SLI, Buying a second $900CAD card to just run a monitor is not a viable option.

If Precision XOC ICX is unusable simply because of a second card that shouldn't be detected (as it is not supported), then i suppose I can use MSI Afterburner to overclock my card, but this will not monitor the temp targets where they are needed as they will only detect core values. Same as the normal Precision XOC software (Which works, but doesn't detect any sensors but the GPU) I am forced to ask, what is the point of the ICX system if I am forced to not use it because of a lack luster detection system. I understand the reason the ICX version doesn't work on other cards, as it would be missing sensors and cause all kinds of bugs. As it is unsupported, why is it detected? Could it not just disable monitoring for any hardware ID that doesn't match a ICX card ID. (Whitelist) and is there a way to make the software ignore the second card?

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: EVGA Precision XOC ICX edition Doesn't boot when a second card is installed 2017/03/07 21:43:04 (permalink)
    They are going to integrate the icx program to be useable with all other cards, hopefully. Just like when pascal initally released, precision couldnt be used with previous generations of cards either. It was the 3rd release, if i am not mistaken, when they had full integration. They are probably working on the program behind the scenes trying to get it to work properly.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile