Precision x linux support?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Precision x linux support? 2019/04/07 15:47:00 (permalink)
squall-leonhart
bcavnaugh
Wonder why no one is asking the same of MSI Afterburner.

I'm sure you could guess why.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

ultimatepro
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Precision x linux support? 2019/04/07 18:36:07 (permalink)
Good luck. EVGA isn't even supporting Windows properly. 
AZ Ronin
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Precision x linux support? 2019/10/22 22:53:03 (permalink)
Yeah, preventing the cards from having fan control from the regular Nvidia drivers and then not supporting an operating system like Linux is lame.
AZ Ronin
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Precision x linux support? 2019/10/25 21:57:49 (permalink)
This post is so incredibly SPOT ON that it's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to ignore.

68 MILLION USERS of Linux...
That seems VERY much worth it to me.
I spent a BOATLOAD of money on my EVGA cards. I loved the hybrids. If I'm forced to use Windows because EVGA can't see the forest through the trees... so be it. I'll move my business elsewhere. Bricking these cards because something as simple as fan control only being accessible through XOC and XOC only being accessible through Windows is at best short-sighted and at worst, negligent to shareholders. You're intentionally ignoring a huge potential client base (68 Million users world wide) because of a prejudice? 
tiddielle
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Precision x linux support? 2019/11/07 15:14:30 (permalink)
Could you please make some tool just for the terminal? no need for GUI, just a lil piece of software to control rgb and maybe control fan from linux... no politics nor bias involved here, it's just that there are linux users out there with your hardware, and i wish i could control the rgb of my build which is expensive and quite good looking... my 1080 ftw should be beautiful but since i have no control over it, it's uggly. It's a pity, and as an evga user i wish i could be proud of it...
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Precision x linux support? 2019/11/07 20:17:17 (permalink)
1) EVGA's software development team hasn't gotten the software to work correctly in Windows. Think that they can split their work in two different directions and get them both working correctly? Not likely.

2) Fan control isn't required. Your card won't "brick". The card is designed to work out of the box, for the entire warranty period, without any customization on your part.

3) This thread is from 3 years ago and two iterations of Precision in the past. Precision has been re-written twice since this thread has started, yet still no Linux support. Let it rest. Precision is not coming to Linux.

4) NVIDIA hasn't provided proper support in Linux for EVGA to utilize. EVGA uses NVAPI in Windows to monitor and control the video card's behavior. Until NVIDIA adds NVAPI (or something similar) to Linux, I don't know what you expect EVGA utilize.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/11/07 20:31:13

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

tiddielle
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Precision x linux support? 2019/11/08 00:56:50 (permalink)
ty_ger07
1) EVGA's software development team hasn't gotten the software to work correctly in Windows. Think that they can split their work in two different directions and get them both working correctly? Not likely.

2) Fan control isn't required. Your card won't "brick". The card is designed to work out of the box, for the entire warranty period, without any customization on your part.

3) This thread is from 3 years ago and two iterations of Precision in the past. Precision has been re-written twice since this thread has started, yet still no Linux support. Let it rest. Precision is not coming to Linux.

4) NVIDIA hasn't provided proper support in Linux for EVGA to utilize. EVGA uses NVAPI in Windows to monitor and control the video card's behavior. Until NVIDIA adds NVAPI (or something similar) to Linux, I don't know what you expect EVGA utilize.

1) fancy GUIs are in the way of software to work correctly... Plus windows is way more unreliable when it comes down to compatibility nowadays.
2)EVGA provides warranty for any OC and anything you want to do to your card. It is the most expensive brand for this reason too.
3)i won't let it rest only because you think it should, i am an evga user and i made a legit polite request and you can mind your business.
4) there are already many tools out there for gpu oc under linux, like this one ( GreenWithEnvy Project ID: 10152670 at GitHub ). Have this people stopped since there's no official NVAPI support? no, they just came out with the software in their spare time. I don't need control over those features, i already have... What i miss is control over RGB. that's it, i am not asking a lift to the moon...
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30975
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Precision x linux support? 2019/11/08 03:44:14 (permalink)
OK,

Best place to make your Ideas heard is:  Complaints and Suggestions

EVGA does review these suggestions

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

ProDigit
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 465
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Precision x linux support? 2019/11/08 04:59:34 (permalink)
In Linux, you got your own set of tools.
In the terminal, you can use the command:

sudo nvidia-smi -q 0 -pl 150

Where -q 1 is only necessary for multiple GPUs (the first GPU being addressed as 0 or zero)
And -pl 150 gets you 150Watts of power. It can be either lower or higher than stock power levels.
You can also use nvidia-smi to look at your GPU stats (like temp, fan speed, GPU load, etc...), by typing:

watch -n 1 nvidia-smi

The second adjustment can only be made in the GUI, nvidia xserver settings, where you can get both overclocking settings, as well as fan speed options, after enabling them in the terminal.

You can enable overclocking and fanspeed by entering in terminal:

sudo nvidia-xconfig --enable-all-gpus
sudo nvidia-xconfig --cool-bits=28

Sometimes you'll need to do the enable-all-gpus, reboot, and then do cool-bits.
Sure, it's not as fancy as Precision X, but it does the job, and very precisely too (one can overclock to the Mhz, and to a decimal of a watt!).
post edited by ProDigit - 2019/11/08 05:06:15
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Precision x linux support? 2019/11/08 05:05:56 (permalink)
tiddielle
ty_ger07

1) fancy GUIs are in the way of software to work correctly... Plus windows is way more unreliable when it comes down to compatibility nowadays.
2)EVGA provides warranty for any OC and anything you want to do to your card. It is the most expensive brand for this reason too.
3)i won't let it rest only because you think it should, i am an evga user and i made a legit polite request and you can mind your business.
4) there are already many tools out there for gpu oc under linux, like this one ( GreenWithEnvy Project ID: 10152670 at GitHub ). Have this people stopped since there's no official NVAPI support? no, they just came out with the software in their spare time. I don't need control over those features, i already have... What i miss is control over RGB. that's it, i am not asking a lift to the moon...

1) Irrelevant response. My statement still stands.
2) Again, irrelevant response. The claim was that EVGA was causing cards to "brick" by refusing to support Linux. Nonsense.
3) Good luck.
4) Irrelevant response. EVGA uses NVAPI. Like said in #1, EVGA isn't going to fragment its software implementation process multiple directions.

As stated above, there are other existing ways to get partial customization support in Linux. NVIDIA-smi and Coolbits. All you are really missing in Linux is low-level support for EVGA's proprietary ICX fan/sensor and RGB customization. Unfortunately, I don't see that changing any time soon / ever. Expect to wait at least 3 more years. ;) As stated, the card will function properly for its entire warranty period without adjusting the fan speed or RGB lighting, for those cards where EVGA's proprietary implementation doesn't allow for customization in Linux.

IF NVIDIA adds NVAPI support to Linux, I think that is when EVGA would more seriously consider Linux Precision development; since implementation would be more similar to what its development team is already familiar with. Even then, somewhat unlikely. But definitely extremely unlikely until then.

If you really, really want some feature to be available in Linux, I suggest that you find a group of like-minded individuals, band together, and fund the development of such software. There have been breakthroughs in understanding how to communicate with EVGA's ICX MCU. Wizzard over at Techpowerup is likely a good developer to have this discussion with. He at least can tell you what he already knows about the ICX MCU communication process.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/11/08 05:19:51

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Precision x linux support? 2019/11/08 05:20:23 (permalink)
Why was my response deleted?

EDIT:
I'll say it again but differently.

There are options in Linux.  As stated, nvidia-smi commands are available and cool-bits is available.  The level of customization is still lacking compared to Windows, but there is some customization available with those implementations.  Unfortunately, for EVGA's proprietary ICX asynchronous fans and RGB, nvidia-smi and cool-bits are ineffective and you will have to simply use the card the way it was designed.  The claim was that the card would be "bricked" if not customized, but that is simply false.

The root factor is that NVAPI is not available in Linux and there is almost zero chance that EVGA will develop for Linux unless NVIDIA makes NVAPI commands available.  It's just not worth EVGA's time creating another, completely different, software implementation which will be still extremely limited (like nvidia-smi and cool-bits are limited) due to the lack of existing communication options between the software and hardware on the driver level.

If you absolutely must have communication with the ICX MCU in Linux, I suggest that you contact developers who have already pioneered unofficial support for communication with EVGA's ICX MCU, and consider funding their efforts to bring the customization you want to Linux.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/11/08 08:48:55

EVGATech_AdamB
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1930
Re: Precision x linux support? 2019/11/08 09:13:36 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Why was my response deleted?

The spam filter got it as a false positive. It is still training but getting better. Sorry about that.

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
ProDigit
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 465
Re: Precision x linux support? 2019/11/08 11:18:16 (permalink)
ty_ger07
...  The level of customization is still lacking compared to Windows, but there is some customization available with those implementations.  Unfortunately, for EVGA's proprietary ICX asynchronous fans and RGB, nvidia-smi and cool-bits are ineffective and you will have to simply use the card the way it was designed.  ...

Not entirely true. Nvidia xserver allows for multinfan settings, if the card does. Some GPUs I have have 2 fan speed sliders.

Also, the power limit setting eliminates the need for undervolting, the only option Linux doesn't have, in that power capping or limiting will automatically set the voltage to it's lowest (or highest) setting, and is adjusted dynamically rather than statically in Windows. I think this to be a superior way to adjust voltage, compared to Windows!

Last thing missing is the LED adjustment.
LEDs in Linux either stay on, or cycle on/off when in use.
I've had 1x GTX1050 card that would change led color, based on GPU load, or fan speed. But mostly a static,non adjustable setting.
For LED off, you'd have to unplug the led connector on the gpu itself (what I do, as I don't really need my system drawing unnecessary attention).
Darkpriest667
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Precision x linux support? 2021/10/07 07:57:25 (permalink)
hate to beat a dead horse here, but its still happening AND the Nvidia X server settings only turn on one fan.

Also the commands to enable do not work anymore on 21.04

sudo nvidia-xconfig --cool-bits=28

WARNING: Unable to locate/open X configuration file.

Package xorg-server was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xorg-server.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'xorg-server' found
New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

The nvidia x server has 2 fan speed control bars but if you manipulate them only one fan turns on.

This CANNOT be good for the cards longevity and if EVGA would allow it I'd like to return my 2080ti for a single fan founders edition card. I'll even pay the difference.
post edited by Darkpriest667 - 2021/10/07 07:58:40
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Precision x linux support? 2021/10/07 14:27:14 (permalink)
Darkpriest667
This CANNOT be good for the cards longevity

It's fine. It is designed to operate that way. That's why it works that way out of the box. If it was an issue with its longevity, EVGA would have designed it differently.
and if EVGA would allow it I'd like to return my 2080ti for a single fan founders edition card. I'll even pay the difference.

I doubt it, but you would have to ask EVGA. This is a user-to-user forum. Contact EVGA.

https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile