EVGA

what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste?

Author
jfolds
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 214
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/06/23 07:58:49 (permalink)
I've always used arctic silver on my intel cpu's...  older model geforce cards I had a few that had crummy thermal tape instead of good quality paste so I would remove the heatsink and reset it with arctic silver.

Just wondering what evga uses on these 1080's  ?

29 Replies Related Threads

scoakley
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 08:49:52 (permalink)
    I'm not sure, but given that my 1080 FTW has gone from idling at 40 C to idling at 60 C (and hitting 92 C under load) over the course of two days, I would be prepared to replace the paste.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 09:03:09 (permalink)
    scoakley
    I'm not sure, but given that my 1080 FTW has gone from idling at 40 C to idling at 60 C (and hitting 92 C under load) over the course of two days, I would be prepared to replace the paste.

WOW - are your GPU fans spinning? I ask because that is way too hot.

As to the OP, I'm not certain which paste is used - I also replace their paste with ICDiamond just because they tend to have too much paste applied. 

The nice thing is that with EVGA replacing the paste doesn't void the warranty - as long as you don't short out anything by using electrically conductive TIM.
    LFaWolf
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1794
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 09:10:12 (permalink)
    I think people are bit obsessed over the thermal paste. Watch this -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAid5G30-WM

EVGA_JacobF
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 16946
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 09:19:28 (permalink)
    Shin-Etsu

makikatze
    • Total Posts : 62
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 09:42:36 (permalink)
    We are allowed to use liquid thermal metal compounds like the Conductonaut (http://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/26-conductonaut-en) if we don't destroy anything on the card, right? It would only void the warranty if I short out anything with it?
    bee144
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 345
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 10:54:56 (permalink)
    Shin-Etsu has decent ratings on Newegg. I'll probably just leave the default Shin-Etsu on my 1080.
    http://www.newegg.com/Pro..._-35-150-080-_-Product
    Z.PricyWolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2673
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 11:18:28 (permalink)
    shinetsusilicone-global.com - Thermal Interface Materials
    http://www.shinetsusilicone-global.com/products/function/heat/index.shtml

122-CK-NF68-AR   /   122-CK-NF68-A1   /   132-CK-NF78-A1   /   132-YW-E178-A1   /   132-YW-E179-A1  /   151-IB-E699-KR
    128-A8-N303-TX   /   512-P3-N973-TR*2   /   012-P3-1570-AR*2   /   012-P3-1572-AR   /   03G-P4-3788-KR
    ⊰━━━━━━━≪☆≪  ☆・.*--゚– ☆⊲・*-.-゚–  ☆⊲⊰.-・-*-゚-   ☆-⊰・*-.-゚– -
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 11:50:33 (permalink)
    makikatze
    We are allowed to use liquid thermal metal compounds like the Conductonaut (http://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/26-conductonaut-en) if we don't destroy anything on the card, right? It would only void the warranty if I short out anything with it?

If you get it on anything, you can guarantee you won't have a warranty.  If it eats the cooler, you can also guarantee it won't have a warranty.  You don't need liquid metal, as it won't improve air flow or lower temp all that much more over thermal grizzly kryonaut, Gelid Extreme, or Artic MX-4, which are all non metallic, non capacitive, and will not void your warranty. 
    makikatze
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 11:52:59 (permalink)
    @Scarlet-Tech

Thanks for your answer. So if used properly, there is no problem with that. But you would also recommend using Kryonaut instead (I have Conductonaut and Kryonaut here; only used Conductonaut for my CPU between DIE and heatsink). So I will replace EVGA's themal paste with my Kryonaut, then.

Can't wait to get my hands on the FTW I pre-ordered at a German official EVGA retailer 
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 11:58:45 (permalink)
    I have Kryonaut on all 3 of my GPU's right now, and I will say that it is a pain the rear to spread, but it works fantastic once it is installed.  I used one card for 10 days and removed it, and it was very well spread and didn't have any awkward pump out or anything.  I have a tube of it that I will currently use rather than MX-4, which was my go to for more than 2 years.
    makikatze
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 14:14:14 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    I have Kryonaut on all 3 of my GPU's right now, and I will say that it is a pain the rear to spread, but it works fantastic once it is installed.  I used one card for 10 days and removed it, and it was very well spread and didn't have any awkward pump out or anything.  I have a tube of it that I will currently use rather than MX-4, which was my go to for more than 2 years.

Our whole little gaming clan is using Kryonaut because of my recommendation (and Thermal Grizzly was so nice to send us some free samples, in retail size, though, that was VERY nice indeed), so I already know it's a pain to use it, but it works really well on all CPUs we use. Haven't gotten the possibility yet to use it on a GPU, though, as the 1080 FTW will be my first EVGA card ever and I was always worried about warranty before.

To be honest, it's my first graphics card that I buy myself anyway :)
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 14:39:59 (permalink)
    makikatze
    Scarlet-Tech

Our whole little gaming clan is using Kryonaut because of my recommendation (and Thermal Grizzly was so nice to send us some free samples, in retail size, though, that was VERY nice indeed), so I already know it's a pain to use it, but it works really well on all CPUs we use. Haven't gotten the possibility yet to use it on a GPU, though, as the 1080 FTW will be my first EVGA card ever and I was always worried about warranty before.

To be honest, it's my first graphics card that I buy myself anyway :)

CONGRATS! that is awesome!
    The_Ether_Bunny
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 15:34:51 (permalink)
    arestavo
    scoakley

As to the OP, I'm not certain which paste is used - I also replace their paste with ICDiamond just because they tend to have too much paste applied

The nice thing is that with EVGA replacing the paste doesn't void the warranty - as long as you don't short out anything by using electrically conductive TIM.

LFaWolf

You posted the vid I was trying to find. There is one from LTT also. Too much TIM is a myth that should be stopped.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 15:41:11 (permalink)
    The_Ether_Bunny
    arestavo
    scoakley

As to the OP, I'm not certain which paste is used - I also replace their paste with ICDiamond just because they tend to have too much paste applied

LFaWolf

You posted the vid I was trying to find. There is one from LTT also. Too much TIM is a myth that should be stopped.

Hey man, there IS such a thing. Just looking at Jayz2cents video shows it! The stuff was oozing out of the GPU die area out onto the PCB! https://youtu.be/rAid5G30-WM?t=443 

He also was referring to the GPU, and did point out that too much on the CPU would be a "very bad thing."

It might take a lot, but there is such a thing as too much. 

Besides, I really do prefer ICDiamond over the stock TIM.
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/06/24 15:45:01
    The_Ether_Bunny
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 15:57:15 (permalink)
    arestavoHey man, there IS such a thing. Just looking at Jayz2cents video shows it! The stuff was oozing out of the GPU die area out onto the PCB! https://youtu.be/rAid5G30-WM?t=443 

He also was referring to the GPU, and did point out that too much on the CPU would be a "very bad thing."

LOL..... Did you watch the vid? Or is English your second language? There is no problem using too much. Except wasting TIM. In the video, the GPU and surrounding area were absolutely covered in TIM and the temps went down and there was no shorting. And he did not say anything about too much on the CPU either. ROFL all you want but you, sir, are misinformed.

jfolds
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 214
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 17:00:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for the anser Jacob !!  ill leave it as is, when i get one.   Just didnt want thermal tape...  

and the guy in that video,  his 680 hitting 74c..    my dual 670's oc'd to 1500mhz  way faster than what his monitor showed his 680..  both my cards in sli run 48c under max load

thanks to a thermaltake lvl10 case,  and a window a/c unit set for 34c

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 17:29:55 (permalink)
    The_Ether_Bunny
    arestavoHey man, there IS such a thing. Just looking at Jayz2cents video shows it! The stuff was oozing out of the GPU die area out onto the PCB! https://youtu.be/rAid5G30-WM?t=443 

LOL..... Did you watch the vid? Or is English your second language? There is no problem using too much. Except wasting TIM. In the video, the GPU and surrounding area were absolutely covered in TIM and the temps went down and there was no shorting. And he did not say anything about too much on the CPU either. ROFL all you want but you, sir, are misinformed.

Ich kann auch Deutsch sprechen.

No, English is my first language. Put 2 pounds of TIM on. Is it too much? YEAAAAAS. That's what I'm driving at - the fact that it ACTUALLY IS POSSIBLE TO PUT TOO MUCH ON. Granted, you'd have to be not so bright to put that much on.

Just like it is actually possible to drink too much water. It's a thing. It can kill you. It isn't easy, but possible. Just like using too much TIM is possible.
    The_Ether_Bunny
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 17:38:26 (permalink)
    arestavo

Ich kann auch Deutsch sprechen.

No, English is my first language. Put 2 pounds of TIM on. Is it too much? YEAAAAAS. That's what I'm driving at - the fact that it ACTUALLY IS POSSIBLE TO PUT TOO MUCH ON. Granted, you'd have to be not so bright to put that much on.

Just like it is actually possible to drink too much water. It's a thing. It can kill you. It isn't easy, but possible. Just like using too much TIM is possible.

Ich auch.

Obviously it is possible to put too much on but the amount you are referring to is absurd and no one would ever do it. You are trying way too hard to over prove your error.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 17:52:48 (permalink)
    *Technically* speaking any amount of TIM over what is required reduces it's effectiveness. The most effective thermal transfer is achieved with the thinnest bond layer.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/06/24 18:03:04 (permalink)
    The_Ether_Bunny
    Ich auch.

Obviously it is possible to put too much on but the amount you are referring to is absurd and no one would ever do it. You are trying way too hard to over prove your error.

Um, Jay dumped an entire tube on the die. That is ignorant on his part, but he did it to prove a point for the people that can't use Google to figure out the simple things in life.

It doesn't take an absurd amount. If you get TIM on the motherboard because you dumped a tube onto the GPU, some companies may use it as a free chance to deny an RMA on the motherboard. Consider using Artic silver, it's not conductive, but it can be capacitive, and stop a board from working. Drip that on your board "because jayztwocents said it was ok" and the rma will more than likely be shot down.

If someone thinks it's ok to out this much on their gpu, then they need to reevaluate what they think is correct. Jayztwocents doesn't care about his Gpu's, because they are free. You never see him do stuff like this with the the stuff he buys for himself. If you had free Gpu's just lying around, you probably wouldn't mind doing this too.

A nominal amount, slightly more than needed, won't hurt anything. What Jay did to prove a point is just foolish.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2016/06/24 18:05:23
    Amnesia1187
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/07/10 12:21:37 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    *Technically* speaking any amount of TIM over what is required reduces it's effectiveness. The most effective thermal transfer is achieved with the thinnest bond layer.

What type of TIM are you using? Anything beyond the minimum the volume DOES NOT MATTER. Using less paste doesn't magically change the way a liquid moves when compressed between two solids. So unless you are using something that is unusually viscous, or is conductive, you have nothing to worry about. Using too little with a GPU is an actual problem as you literally have uncovered parts of the die.
    Amnesia1187
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/07/10 12:38:09 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    It doesn't take an absurd amount. If you get TIM on the motherboard because you dumped a tube onto the GPU, some companies may use it as a free chance to deny an RMA on the motherboard. Consider using Artic silver, it's not conductive, but it can be capacitive, and stop a board from working. Drip that on your board "because jayztwocents said it was ok" and the rma will more than likely be shot down.

If someone thinks it's ok to out this much on their gpu, then they need to reevaluate what they think is correct. Jayztwocents doesn't care about his Gpu's, because they are free. You never see him do stuff like this with the the stuff he buys for himself. If you had free Gpu's just lying around, you probably wouldn't mind doing this too.

A nominal amount, slightly more than needed, won't hurt anything. What Jay did to prove a point is just foolish.

Yes, his plan was flawed BECAUSE he used AS5. But he also said it was a stupid thing to do. AND, if you look at the GPU after, he clearly didn't use too much as nothing made it outside the die area.

If someone is going to spend the time to swap their TIM on their GPU they should be able to pony up the extra $$$ for some Kryonaut or Gelid. And with those you could literally dunk the GPU in it if you wanted to, though that would be a bad plan i think.
    ipkha
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2308
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/07/10 12:55:14 (permalink)
    Long term it would seem like a bad idea. TIM leaking beside the socket would pull heat to the side and away from the heatsink. For short runs it might help keep the chip coolers as his testing shows. I do agree that you don't want to have a lot of excess. But I can see his point about making sure to use enough and to not worry about extra, given nonconductive paste.

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/07/10 13:04:19 (permalink)
    Amnesia1187
    HeavyHemi

What type of TIM are you using? Anything beyond the minimum the volume DOES NOT MATTER. Using less paste doesn't magically change the way a liquid moves when compressed between two solids. So unless you are using something that is unusually viscous, or is conductive, you have nothing to worry about. Using too little with a GPU is an actual problem as you literally have uncovered parts of the die.

Doesn't matter. What I said is 100% accurate.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

valkyriesII
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 863
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/07/10 13:39:23 (permalink)
    imo, i go for the TIM that is easy to work with for easy application/removal and non conductive. as long you have TIM applied, the difference is very small in performance between brands. Shin-Etsu is what i use for everything and glad evga uses it for their cards for the reasons mentioned.
    Amnesia1187
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2016/07/10 15:18:16 (permalink)
    ipkha
    Long term it would seem like a bad idea. TIM leaking beside the socket would pull heat to the side and away from the heatsink. For short runs it might help keep the chip coolers as his testing shows. I do agree that you don't want to have a lot of excess. But I can see his point about making sure to use enough and to not worry about extra, given nonconductive paste.

That is not how thermodynamics work. TIM is used for 1 reason. Polishing surfaces smooth enough to not have any air gaps is either too expensive or actually impossible.

The TIM is WAY WAY less conductive than what its interfacing between, which means that the heatsink/waterblock is ALWAYS starving for more heat compared to the TIM. There are only 4 factors that actually matter:

• How much surface area is the TIM in contact with on the heatsink?
    • How much surface area is the TIM in contact with on the processor?
    • How thick is the layer between the two? (These days its more or less preset so you don't crush your CPU, Kryonaut is like half as viscous as peanut butter, take a glob of some between your thumb and finger and then try and squeeze em together. All the peanut butter go bye bye.
    • How conductive is your TIM?
    As long as you maximize the contact surface area of the cpu and heatsink, and you are using a reasonably good quality TIM, you should be golden. Realistically, because of the shape of the chips on GPUs, using "excess" will only help. There is the edge around the CPU that is the same material as the top. The TIM is a better conductor than the PCB, so it will take all the heat it can.

For a GPU like the one in his video, the perfect application would probably fill entirely inside the metal square with just enough extra just compress flat with a GPU. It's just more surface area for direct heat transfer. Anything is better than air :D
    epsilon_sword
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2018/03/02 23:10:14 (permalink)
    When i first got my gpu my temps were amazing (2150MHz Core @ 35 C running GTA 5) and a year later they have doubled (70-75 C) while spinning the fans to 70%.
    I have been thinking of replacing the TIM to thermal grizzly kyronaut. Would this void my warrenty or damage my card?
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2018/03/02 23:31:31 (permalink)
    epsilon_sword
    When i first got my gpu my temps were amazing (2150MHz Core @ 35 C running GTA 5) and a year later they have doubled (70-75 C) while spinning the fans to 70%.
    I have been thinking of replacing the TIM to thermal grizzly kyronaut. Would this void my warrenty or damage my card?

No, and no. As long as you don't do any physical damage, you can change the TIM, put a different cooler on it a waterblock...etc etc. As long as you can return it to stock condition if you need to RMA you're good to go.

Tuxedo.
    • Total Posts : 83
    Re: what does evga use for 1080 thermal paste? 2018/03/03 02:38:19 (permalink)
    epsilon_sword

It is actually not possible that your card was running at 35°C while playing GTA5.
    It was probably a read-out error some months ago.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile