EVGA

Supernova 850 GS PSU problems, 2nd unit.

Author
Mr2Much
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/06/02 12:57:39 (permalink)
Wanted to bounce this recurring problem off the community.

I have a self build with the following:
Operating System
            Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
        CPU
            Intel Core i7 3820 @ 3.60GHz    35 °C
            Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology
        RAM
            16.0GB DDR3 @ 800MHz (11-11-11-28)
        Motherboard
            ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 DELUXE (LGA2011)    35 °C
        Graphics
            ASUS VG23A (1920x1080@60Hz)
            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (EVGA)    37 °C
        Storage
            476GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB (SSD)    35 °C
            3726GB Western Digital WDC WD4003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (SATA)    40 °C
            3726GB Western Digital WDC WD4003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (SATA)    40 °C
        Optical Drives
            msi DVD-RW DH24AS

The PSU is the 850 GS.

What is happening is that my computer is shutting down randomly.  It will not restart until I unplug the PSU and let sit for several hours.  It then restarts fine.  PSU does not feel particularly 'hot', but...?
Windows Event Manager is recording an Event ID 41 Kernal-Power error.

I have tried the following right after the failure:
1.  Replaced CMOS battery.
2.  Tried another PSU, starts right up.  Put the old PSU back, nothing (until it 'cools' down).
3.  Tried stripping MB down to bare essentials...nothing.

This happened a little over a year ago (2/15), when the original PSU was about 1-year old.  EVGA changed out under warranty.

Before I submitted an RMA again, just wanted to see if there were any ideas about why this is happening?  I think it is a thermal overload, but I am not that much of an expert.

Thanks in advance.

15 Replies Related Threads

JonathanG
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re: Supernova 850 GS PSU problems, 2nd unit. 2016/06/02 15:01:20 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear that you are having this issue, and thank you for troubleshooting thus far. Based on what you've mentioned, it definitely sounds like your unit is faulty. At this point we can go ahead and offer you a replacement. I have sent you an email with the details.

Mr2Much
    Re: Supernova 850 GS PSU problems, 2nd unit. 2016/06/02 16:54:42 (permalink)
    Thank you Jonathan.  I replied to your email.
    Your customer service has been great...just was trying to figure out if I could find a way to stop needing it
    Mr2Much
    Re: Supernova 850 GS PSU problems, 2nd unit. 2016/07/02 11:25:26 (permalink)
    Jonathan,

Have had the new unit installed for a few weeks now.  You should have received the return.
    I am starting to have problems again.
    Most mornings, after it has been turned off overnight, I cannot get the computer to power on.  If I unplug from power source and wait several hours it starts and runs fine.

I cannot believe there is a problem with a third unit.  To a non expert like me, sounds like some kind of thermal overload issue.  My question is what could be causing it?  I have tried the unit plugged into the wall directly and through a surge protector.  Same results.  If I leave running overnight, it is shutdown by AM and same problem.  I have rarely had an issue where it shuts down while I am actually using.  I am going to try unplugging overnight and see if that makes a difference, but to be honest, not how I feel I should have to do it.

Any ideas on something I might be doing on this end to cause it, or something else to check, would be greatly appreciated.  You guys have been great, but I just do not want to keep doing the same thing hoping for a different result.

Thanks.
    MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Supernova 850 GS PSU problems, 2nd unit. 2016/07/02 12:35:31 (permalink)
    Mr2Much
    Jonathan,

Have had the new unit installed for a few weeks now.  You should have received the return.
    I am starting to have problems again.
    Most mornings, after it has been turned off overnight, I cannot get the computer to power on.  If I unplug from power source and wait several hours it starts and runs fine.

I cannot believe there is a problem with a third unit.  To a non expert like me, sounds like some kind of thermal overload issue.  My question is what could be causing it?  I have tried the unit plugged into the wall directly and through a surge protector.  Same results.  If I leave running overnight, it is shutdown by AM and same problem.  I have rarely had an issue where it shuts down while I am actually using.  I am going to try unplugging overnight and see if that makes a difference, but to be honest, not how I feel I should have to do it.

Any ideas on something I might be doing on this end to cause it, or something else to check, would be greatly appreciated.  You guys have been great, but I just do not want to keep doing the same thing hoping for a different result.

Thanks.

Hello,

we are terribly sorry for all the issues you've had dealing with your power supply.
    I am going to email you directly to offer you some options for resolving this issue.

Thank you
    geriaktricks
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Supernova 850 GS PSU problems, 2nd unit. 2016/08/07 12:40:08 (permalink)
    I have been having this exact same issue with my 850 gs, made a post about it awhile ago here on the forums and didn't get a response from them. I have been through 5 units now over the course of about 6 months, all of them work fine for a few days and then start having issues with powering on. Have contacted support numerous times and they just give me the same response "sorry you have been having issues with this unit, we would like to offer you an advanced RMA", pretty much all of the negative reviews on newegg are complaining about the same exact issue. EVGA won't give me a refund and told me all the units I sent back passed internal testing. I have done the paperclip test on each unit before sending back to verify it was the unit itself and nothing to do with my pc. Each time the unit will power up once, but won't power on again once it is switched off.

If anyone from EVGA is reading this, I don't give a damn about your warranty terms, I have tried your RMA process several times, you sold me a defective product and I want a full refund. I have bought several evga products over the years and recommended them to friends, but this issue has pretty much turned me off from buying any more of your products. To OP, I really hope you have better luck than I have, this has been the most frustrating issue I have come across in about 6 years of building pc's. The first unit I had actually worked for about 6 months before I had to return it for a different issue, so my best guess is they just have a defective batch of units going around right now. If anyone from evga wants more information about the issue to try and reproduce it, I would be happy to give more details if it helps this issue get fixed and gets me a unit that actually works properly.
    EddieH
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 2016
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Supernova 850 GS PSU problems, 2nd unit. 2016/08/07 14:46:59 (permalink)
    geriaktricks
    I have been having this exact same issue with my 850 gs, made a post about it awhile ago here on the forums and didn't get a response from them. I have been through 5 units now over the course of about 6 months, all of them work fine for a few days and then start having issues with powering on. Have contacted support numerous times and they just give me the same response "sorry you have been having issues with this unit, we would like to offer you an advanced RMA", pretty much all of the negative reviews on newegg are complaining about the same exact issue. EVGA won't give me a refund and told me all the units I sent back passed internal testing. I have done the paperclip test on each unit before sending back to verify it was the unit itself and nothing to do with my pc. Each time the unit will power up once, but won't power on again once it is switched off.

If anyone from EVGA is reading this, I don't give a damn about your warranty terms, I have tried your RMA process several times, you sold me a defective product and I want a full refund. I have bought several evga products over the years and recommended them to friends, but this issue has pretty much turned me off from buying any more of your products. To OP, I really hope you have better luck than I have, this has been the most frustrating issue I have come across in about 6 years of building pc's. The first unit I had actually worked for about 6 months before I had to return it for a different issue, so my best guess is they just have a defective batch of units going around right now. If anyone from evga wants more information about the issue to try and reproduce it, I would be happy to give more details if it helps this issue get fixed and gets me a unit that actually works properly.

Hello geriaktricks, 

I am sorry to hear about the troubles you have been having with your EVGA power supply.  I can assure you that our Techs are active on the forums, but unfortunately we do not always get a chance to review every single post.  I do see that you have been in contact with our Technical Support team regarding the troubles you experienced with your power supply units. 

I also see that you contacted us today, just a couple of hours ago, regarding your most recent replacement, talked one of our support Techs by the name of Ray, who assisted you with some options with your RMA replacement.  If there has been any change in the support you received today or questions, then please do contact us again, so that we can further assist you. 

geriaktricks
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Supernova 850 GS PSU problems, 2nd unit. 2016/08/07 17:04:18 (permalink)
    Yeah, I was pretty irritated this morning when I woke up and couldn't power on my pc. I actually called support shortly after posting here, and they offered to replace it with an 850w g2 unit. I have been looking online and can't find any complaints about this particular issue with the g2 series, which I guess is supposed to be a bit higher quality and is made by a different company, so hopefully this resolves the issue.
    Mr2Much
    Re: Supernova 850 GS PSU problems, 2nd unit. 2016/08/09 13:33:29 (permalink)
    geriaktricks
    Yeah, I was pretty irritated this morning when I woke up and couldn't power on my pc. I actually called support shortly after posting here, and they offered to replace it with an 850w g2 unit. I have been looking online and can't find any complaints about this particular issue with the g2 series, which I guess is supposed to be a bit higher quality and is made by a different company, so hopefully this resolves the issue.

This last time they replaced my GS with the G2.  I have been running the G2 for about a month now and not a problem out of it (cross fingers).  I hope that it resolves your problem.  So-far so-good with me.  I know what a pain it is.
    marglas
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Supernova 850 GS PSU problems, 2nd unit. 2016/08/24 13:35:18 (permalink)
    I have issue with the supernova 850 GS as well but mine would not power the cpu only the main board. I RMA that one and just got the replacement and same exact problem. I thought maybe it is just not liking the ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA so I put it into another working computer and same problem. I purchased another set of cables from newegg to see if that was the problem and no dice. This is by far the worst PSU I have run across in 20yrs. I been building and repair computers from 1995 and have been very pleased and or lucky with EVGA products. There customer service is  by far one of the best. There video cards are imo some of the best, I know as I have three running in my home and a fourth in a family members home and they all are happy. That said let me say this about the supernova 850 GS, it is from the reviews I have now read and my personal experience a total piece of junk. You have been warned do not buy this thing. To date my total lost is as follows ...power supply 118.00, RMA 18.00 shipping cost, new cables 89.00 total=225.00 and still not working.   Here is my build:
      ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA
    AMD FX-850
    16 gig ram
    2T WD hard drive
    240gig ssd
    geforce 1070
    hyper 212
    If anyone has had this problem or may know a solution or trouble shooting action that might help me fix this please let me know. One other thing is that EVO button on mine is confusing as the off and on marking are different then those on the unit right next to the switch. Seems the switch was installed upside down and makes me wonder if some of the pinouts were installed the same way.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Supernova 850 GS PSU problems, 2nd unit. 2016/08/24 14:08:54 (permalink)
    marglas
    I have issue with the supernova 850 GS as well but mine would not power the cpu only the main board. I RMA that one and just got the replacement and same exact problem. I thought maybe it is just not liking the ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA so I put it into another working computer and same problem. I purchased another set of cables from newegg to see if that was the problem and no dice. This is by far the worst PSU I have run across in 20yrs. I been building and repair computers from 1995 and have been very pleased and or lucky with EVGA products. There customer service is  by far one of the best. There video cards are imo some of the best, I know as I have three running in my home and a fourth in a family members home and they all are happy. That said let me say this about the supernova 850 GS, it is from the reviews I have now read and my personal experience a total piece of junk. You have been warned do not buy this thing. To date my total lost is as follows ...power supply 118.00, RMA 18.00 shipping cost, new cables 89.00 total=225.00 and still not working.   Here is my build:
      ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA
    AMD FX-850
    16 gig ram
    2T WD hard drive
    240gig ssd
    geforce 1070
    hyper 212
    If anyone has had this problem or may know a solution or trouble shooting action that might help me fix this please let me know. One other thing is that EVO button on mine is confusing as the off and on marking are different then those on the unit right next to the switch. Seems the switch was installed upside down and makes me wonder if some of the pinouts were installed the same way.

Welcome to the forums marglas

I would Call or Email customer support directly about your poor experience with the 850 GS, for the most timely response. 

Maybe they will offer to cover shipping this time - ?

PSU is not user serviceable - might even void your warranty

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

marglas
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Supernova 850 GS PSU problems, 2nd unit. 2016/08/25 00:54:42 (permalink)
    Thanks Cool GTX,
    Your right I'm not going to attempt a fix and void any warranty:) , however I did check the voltage on the 8 pin and the two 4 pin connectors. They should be +12V but they are not they are -12v. So please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that the pin outs where install upside down just as the ECO power button. I checked the 24pin connector and it is correct. I stopped there as was no need to go further. I have two much time and money in this thing already.
    Mr2Much
    Re: Supernova 850 GS PSU problems, 2nd unit. 2017/03/04 09:24:21 (permalink)
    Just a quick update:
    I have now been running the G2 since July.  Not a single problem with it.
    Thanks to EVGA support for helping resolve this.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Supernova 850 GS PSU problems, 2nd unit. 2017/03/04 14:49:33 (permalink)
    Mr2Much
    Just a quick update:

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Supernova 850 GS PSU problems, 2nd unit. 2017/03/04 21:59:56 (permalink)
    Mr2Much
    Just a quick update:

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    panzlock
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1736
    Re: Supernova 850 GS PSU problems, 2nd unit. 2017/03/06 05:44:15 (permalink)
    After reading performance reviews I really wanted that 850 GS. Glad I didn't take it after reading its quality reviews. That unit seems to be plagued. Picked up a P2 for $6 more, instead.
    post edited by panzlock - 2017/03/06 05:53:11
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile