LockedZIPMagic Buyer Beware

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14685
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/25 12:29:08 (permalink)
NiclasSamson
I'm very, very sorry guys, but reading this thread, all I see is a bunch of self-congratulating, self-entitled folks expecting everything they find online to be free.

I have been a user of ZIPmagic for three years now, and I have upgraded through a couple of maintenance cycles. Nowhere does the software claim to issue a lifetime license with a single purchase. Anyone remember WinZip, and how they promised this, then reneged on their promise when Corel bought them out? ZIPmagic has never made this promise.

The utility is indispensable for my purposes - it roughly doubles my disk capacity, which is nothing short of a miracle on my Surface Pro 4, which is non-upgrade-able. And no, you cannot do this using built-in Windows tools. They're getting a patent for their technology.

Most important of all, your existing serial key never expires!

Why do you blame the vendor for declining to provide free major version upgrades when they have never, ever promised, or advertised to do so?

Most importantly, why do you pretend that your rights to use your existing version were revoked? This has never, ever happened to me.

I am a happy ZIPmagic user and they have made a difference to me.

If they need to charge for their major version upgrades to stay in business, that's more than fair and it is money they have earned. I'd give them my ten bucks any time.

Who searches the internet on software they have no issues with to defend a software developer you don't even know...  

NiclasSamson,  you failed to read what Brad said in the first post of this topic. He downloaded the software to make sure he had the latest version, only to find out his license doesn't work with the latest version. He asked emailed the software maker only to be LIED to, saying "You didn't buy maintenance" which never existed in the first place. The developer got upset and threaten to block him from using his original license code on the older version.

I'd like to thank you for reviving this topic to make sure more people don't buy ZIPmagic.

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/25 12:42:43 (permalink)
Athena
Now days it is quite rare to find a software maker that will give you free upgrades, updates yes but not upgrades.
Are you o longer able to use the software you have a license for?  Seems like a lot of work for 10 dollars to supp a program you enjoy and need.

Sometimes you got to stand on principle, specially after a business lies to you. It doesn't matter if it was only $10. The software developer straight up lied to a customer, he didn't like it that a customer didn't believe his bovine excrement.

The developer could of handled the issue much better.  Just tell the customer the latest version requires a new license, offered a discount for upgrading or they could download the older version.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/25 13:05:43 (permalink)
Their are a lot of Software Companies that do the same. No need to post about Microsoft.
Aida64 Extreme Just Under $30
MaxIm DL this is over $200 to upgrade from an older version (Maintenance Fees Apply for updates and one upgrade)
WinZip Pro
I can add at least 5 more that I know of.

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/04/25 13:14:23

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/25 13:20:41 (permalink)
NiclasSamson
MSim
Athena
Now days it is quite rare to find a software maker that will give you free upgrades, updates yes but not upgrades.
Are you o longer able to use the software you have a license for?  Seems like a lot of work for 10 dollars to supp a program you enjoy and need.

Sometimes you got to stand on principle, specially after a business lies to you. It doesn't matter if it was only $10. The software developer straight up lied to a customer, he didn't like it that a customer didn't believe his bovine excrement.

Your fallacy here is assuming that the OP has been 100% accurate in his account of his dealings with ZIPmagic. According to my experience, this is not the case. The OP clearly has an ax to grind with ZIPmagic, and has no ethics to restrain him in the process.

MSim
 The developer could of handled the issue much better.  Just tell the customer the latest version requires a new license, offered a discount for upgrading or they could download the older version.

Again, same fallacy. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. I've upgraded twice, where both upgrades were valid for one year (if not longer), using discount coupons which the OP claims do not exist.

Brad been part of this forum for many years, i have no reason to doubt what he said. Brad has never came across as a person that would lie about something like this. 

I have a feeling you know the software developer or might be that person.  You dug up a topic that's been dead for over a year to defend how the software developer treated a paying customer. Wouldn't even let  him use the older version with his under 1 year old license. No where on the website at the time did it say software license expire or they you needed to purchase download insurance.

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8755
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/25 13:27:56 (permalink)
Thanks Nic for reminding me about this. Strange to dig up this long dead thread.

I trust Brad. Stand up guy who has been apart of this community for a long time. While I have not always agreed on everything with Brad, I've never once seen him post something that wasn't true.

Thanks again Brad for giving us the heads up on this.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

gipothegip
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 184
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/25 14:05:40 (permalink)
NiclasSamson

A fanatical user of the software, of course. You're not surprised that some people hate the software, why does it then surprise you that other people love the software?

I'm sorry, but the OP lied, and apparently you haven't bothered to read my post, while accusing me of what you yourself have done in reality.

I've upgraded twice - both of which gave me the upgrade for $10 - the annual maintenance fee. Those coupons may or may not work right now - if you're not a jerk, the software manufacturer is kind enough to offer them to you.

There is something to what you say. Any sane person reading this thread is bound to come to the same conclusion as myself and Athena.

NiclasSamson

Your fallacy here is assuming that the OP has been 100% accurate in his account of his dealings with ZIPmagic. According to my experience, this is not the case. The OP clearly has an ax to grind with ZIPmagic, and has no ethics to restrain him in the process.

Again, same fallacy. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. I've upgraded twice, where both upgrades were valid for one year (if not longer), using discount coupons which the OP claims do not exist.

You created an account just to defend this stupid product in this thread. Your argument for why we should listen to you and not Brad is because you're a fanatic, and we shouldn't believe what we read on the internet (BTW, you're just someone on the internet too)?

You have no evidence Brad is lying, and no proof that you're a sincere member of this community as this is the only thread you seem to have posts in.

If you haven't had any issues with the developer, fair enough. I'll even second Athena's take on this, since it isn't out of the ordinary to have to buy upgrades. Adobe has done it for a long time, although they make that very clear, and from what Brad posted Zip Magic doesn't.

This is just like when Government officials lie and do shady stuff, and their only defense is that it's media slander, and since the media lies, they themselves are telling the truth (like it's not possible for both to be lying to some extent, smh). There's an obvious logical fallacy in your defense.

But really, you come on here expecting us to listen to your hearsay, simply because the OP could be construed as hearsay as well? Well shoot, the genii are coming out of the woodworks these days. Better alert MENSA.
post edited by Sajin - 2017/04/27 00:27:31

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/25 15:47:20 (permalink)
NiclasSamson
MSim
I have a feeling you know the software developer or might be that person.  You dug up a topic that's been dead for over a year to defend how the software developer treated a paying customer. Wouldn't even let  him use the older version with his under 1 year old license. No where on the website at the time did it say software license expire or they you needed to purchase download insurance.

That said, as I've already mentioned, my ZIPmagic license never did expire when I did not upgrade. Its not a subscription product. I upgraded not because I had to, but because I wanted the new features and I felt happy to be supporting ZIPmagic. Ask your good friend why he upgraded, or why he didn't downgrade after his upgrade, if he didn't care to pay one hour's worth minimum wage in the USA?

Where is your proof what Brad said was a lie. You just want to bash Brad for daring to speak out about how that worthless company treated a paying customer. Brad posted what the developer said to him in an email, developer even tried to get the company that handles payment transactions to BAN brad, which i find laughable.   

US minimum wage is not $10 an hour, it's $7.25 just so you know. It's not about the money, its about standing on principle. What the website showed and what the company rep said to brad were two different things.

What did you think you would accomplish by digging up a topic that's been dead for over a year just to bash the person who started it.
post edited by pcmaster00 - 2017/04/26 11:43:19

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/25 15:54:38 (permalink)
NiclasSamson Are you the Software Developer for this software?

Sydney Australia
Simon King
ZIPmagic Software
Email Contact
http://www.zipmagic.co/
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/04/25 16:02:08

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8755
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/25 16:43:26 (permalink)
To be fair, Australia was settled by convicts. That is a fact, nothing disparaging there.

As for the software, it's nothing special. Pure bait and switch.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/25 16:46:16 (permalink)
kaninja
To be fair, Australia was settled by convicts. That is a fact, nothing disparaging there.

As for the software, it's nothing special. Pure bait and switch.

ZIPmagic Software has Teamed up with, well ZIPmagic Layers Microsoft Windows Disk Compression
I wonder of this is why one of my WinTenTen Rigs is having Issues
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/04/25 16:48:22

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 23174
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/25 17:32:21 (permalink)
*facepalm* Talk about random thread necro. I have nothing new to inject into the thread other than I find humor in some random guy apparently questioning my credibility. Good luck with that. If you joined here just to stir the pot, you'll not have a good time around here. The mods don't put up with that sort of nonsense for very long.
post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2017/04/25 17:34:48
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/25 17:33:07 (permalink)
MSim
Where is your proof what Brad said was a lie. You just want to bash Brad for daring to speak out about how that worthless company treated a paying customer. Brad posted what the developer said to him in an email, developer even tried to get the company that handles payment transactions to BAN brad, which i find laughable.   

NiclasSamson
In all honesty, I could not furnish that proof - and to be fair, you yourself could not prove the truth of Brad has been writing either!

I can tell more about Brad than i can about some shady software company who likes to screw customers over. 

If Brad license key is for a previous version, all Simon King had to do is to tell him his license is for the previous version, give Brad a download link for that version. Instead he became a jerk and even tried to get a different company to ban Brad. 

Simon King shouldn't be handling customer service, hes too incompetent to handle it.

MSim
US minimum wage is not $10 an hour, it's $7.25 just so you know. It's not about the money, its about standing on principle. What the website showed and what the company rep said to brad were two different things.

NiclasSamson
Good. If its not about the money, but the principle, then please show me where it says on the website that any upgrade whatsoever is free?

Do you think it's fine for Simon King to i invalidated a customers license key to despise them. 

MSim
What did you think you would accomplish by digging up a topic that's been dead for over a year just to bash the person who started it.

NiclasSamson
The same thing you people thought you'd accomplish by bashing a product that I use and love. Did you think it would fall of the face of the Earth and all its actual users would start hating it for no reason?

We all forgot about ZipMagic until you revived this over year old dead topic. 

gipothegip
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 184
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/25 17:42:18 (permalink)
NiclasSamson

No, my argument is that you should check your facts before taking anyone's word at face value - including your friends, as well as strangers on the Internet.

What evidence I do have is from my personal interactions with ZIPmagic - which is a lot more than you can say.

You've got it the wrong way round. Who's to say your good friend here isn't a shill for any competitor of ZIPmagic, say WinZip or WinRAR, both of which lack disk compression? You're all very quick to accuse me of being a shill - how do I know you aren't one?

No. I am bringing it to your attention that what your friend has written here has not been my experience with the company, based on the solid evidence of my interactions with the company.

Is that too hard to follow? As much as you hate ZIPmagic, I love it. I'm glad to publicly stand up for it.

The thing is, that stuff applies to you too. Your "evidence" (which I assume is your personal experience) is completely anecdotal. There isn't any issue if you like their product, but you're not bringing anything to the argument. Honestly, you're just casting doubt on your dissenters, which isn't productive.

The issue with ZIPMagic is that they allegedly didn't make it clear enough about the upgrade / maintenance fee, and when Brad talked to the developer, that said developer was disrespectful. Understandably, that may not even be a typical experience, but I don't have anymore reason to doubt Brad than I do you.

My issue with you is your loose logic based around casting doubt on your opposition, and your inflammatory posts. You really could've just mentioned that your experience with them was fine and you haven't had any issues. But you're making accusations which aren't beyond a reasonable doubt, or even logically sound.

As for who's a shill, the odds are stacked heavily against you. You are at best a white knight coming onto a forum you have no business being on to argue in an off topic section, but I'm pretty sure you're a troll at this point. You're not a part of the EVGA community from what I can gather, unless you're a lurker, but it's very off putting that this is the only thread you care about.

To be fair, Brad doesn't have the best evidence, and his experience is somewhat hearsay and anecdotal (this is just a forum post after all). However you raise way more red flags (mostly not being a part of the community at all, and being disrespectful). Is Brad right? I don't know. Are you right? Maybe, but you've given me reason not to trust you.

I think you both could be right, given it's entirely possibly you had a good experience with them, while Brad did not. You know how many people on here have gotten faulty hardware from EVGA? A lot.  There are also a lot of us (myself included), who haven't had any issues with EVGA; so they're not mutually exclusive scenarios. I don't understand your argument that Brad is lying because you didn't have the same experience.

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/25 18:54:10 (permalink)

Brad, I trust you as far as I can throw 100%.        

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/25 20:02:32 (permalink)
Thanks for the vote of confidence. 
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/26 05:17:39 (permalink)
Please keep replies to one post. If you want to add more, you can edit it in. The last 8 replies are from one user. Keeping replies to one post keeps everything neat and clean.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/26 06:07:30 (permalink)
NiclasSamson
Maybe you can ask the ZIPmagic haters to also consolidate their replies into one post

Their replies are typically singular and in response to another user, not 4 to 8 individual replies. Only one person is posting in this format.

Unless I overlooked something while rechecking, the maximum multi replies was from brad, and it was 2 short replies to answer questions. Its definitely possible that I missed some, of course.
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2017/04/26 06:16:34
candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/26 08:43:27 (permalink)
You know whats diffrent about Adia64 and this? Aida64 tells you the license is only valid for 1 year, you buy it knowing that, ZipMagic made no such claim. But I digress I'm still using WinRar with the license I bought in 2007 without any issues with the latest version. Also someone should tell Microsoft they are using the phrase DoubleSpace.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722457.aspx

Looks like they are ripping off Microsoft's trademark
post edited by candle_86 - 2017/04/26 08:45:17
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/26 10:06:04 (permalink)
@NiclasSamson
Maybe you should Create your OWN Thread to tell everyone here how great ZIPMagic Software is over causing so much Conflict on the Forums in another Members Thread Long Dead for over a Year Now. Your Point has been Made Please Move On. Also allow others to also have a Point.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/04/26 10:07:19

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30975
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/26 10:48:35 (permalink)
Temp Locking for review

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

pcmaster00
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2752
  • Ribbons : 51
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/26 12:04:21 (permalink)
I have cleaned up the thread and will be issuing warnings where appropriate.  Disagreement is fine, personal attacks are not.  Keep it clean.

EVGA!!! TAKE CARE OF MY MATES!!!!   Heatware
Antec Twelve Hundred, Corsair HX1000, GigaByte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Intel i7 3770k, 2x EVGA GTX770 2770-KR,
16GB Corsair Vengance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9, SSD: 1x OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP,
All HDDs in trayless bays, 6x LG 24x DVD-RW drives, 3x Acer 22" V223W monitors

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/26 16:57:24 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Please keep replies to one post. If you want to add more, you can edit it in. The last 8 replies are from one user. Keeping replies to one post keeps everything neat and clean.

Where is that in the forums TOS?

If you keep all the replies in one post, it makes it even harder for each person to reply back.

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18916
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/26 22:18:13 (permalink)
WinRAR FTW :D

Oh, Hai Niclas. You're my hero.

No, really.

..not.

;)
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2017/04/27 04:13:35

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49165
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/27 00:07:51 (permalink)
@NiclasSamson

You've made your point. It's time to move on now.
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102253
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/27 00:22:48 (permalink)
When a software seller doesn't do right by me I simply stop doing business with them and tell my friends and colleagues not to do business with them either.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/27 00:35:55 (permalink)
rjohnson11
When a software seller doesn't do right by me I simply stop doing business with them and tell my friends and colleagues not to do business with them either.

One would think we would be able to, but apparently someone random in this thread does not like that. 
That guy keeps prodding me about PayPro Global. I've purchased software from several other companies that use PayPro Global as the payment processor. Most recently Sparkocam so I can use my Canon t2i DSLR also as a webcam. Sparkocam has wonderful customer service unlike ZIPMagic. Sorry to disappoint the raving lunatics at ZIPMagic, but I'm not banned from PayPro Global for payment processing.
post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2017/04/27 01:26:36
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/27 04:27:12 (permalink)
Niclas

Thank you for summarizing. That is much easier to follow.

I already took care of the post and ticket in question.

I also removed the images. If you want to share them, remove all personal information before posting them. Revealing anyones personal information, to include email addresses, is not allowed.
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2017/04/27 04:29:17
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: ZIPMagic Buyer Beware 2017/04/27 04:48:01 (permalink)
Locking this thread as it has gone on long enough and is just getting worse. Feel free to PM each other to discuss this topic further.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile