why no 6gb version of 780ti?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
enigma442
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1539
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/26 16:19:10 (permalink)
I do not think you are going to see a 6 gig. 780 TI anytime soon.
The reason being they have The titan Black,Nvidia will not kill off Titan black sales by making a 780 TI 6 gig. card.

My specs.
Case-Corsair 800D full tower~LG Bluray  Burner.
Processor-Intel I7-3770K @4.2GHZ~Lighton Bluray Burner.
Motherboard-ASUS P8z77-v Deluxe
Memory-G.SKILL Ripjaws x 32GB. DDR3 1600 Dual Channel.
GPU-EVGA GTX-TITAN SC x2 in SLI  Water cooled EK full XXL blocks.
Power Supply-Corsair AX1200 Gold.
1 OCZ VERTEX 4 512GB SSD Boot Drive.1 Crucial M4 128GB SSD cache for Hitachi 2TB storage drive.                             1 WD Caviar Black 1-TB. 7200RPM Hard Drive.
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid cooling Solution for cpu.
Sound Blaster Zx soundcard.
Win.7 64BIT Professional.(Now playing with Win 8.1 to see how i like it.)

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/26 16:33:15 (permalink)
enigma442
The reason being they have The titan Black,Nvidia will not kill off Titan black sales by making a 780 TI 6 gig. card.

How many Titan Blacks do you see in stock that are not the $1300 ones? That 780 you mention would be a good choice for those on a budget.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
Cidus
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/26 16:33:49 (permalink)
enigma442

Titan black is for professional because of double precision so it's another market.
A 780 gtx ti at 6gb is for gamers.
I doubt peoples buy a titan black for game only, most of them work with it, so they aim to a different market, i think 780 ti 6gb would be a nice addition for those scaring to not have enough ram in the future and buying ati card because of that or want better performance at 4k
post edited by Cidus - 2014/05/26 16:37:05
enigma442
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1539
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/26 16:44:10 (permalink)
Yes it would be nice if Nvidia would make a 780 TI 6 gig. card,but at this time they simply will not,they do not have the incentive to do so,at least not yet.
If the market changes they might make such a card in the future,and if they do i think the price would be inflated,because of demand.
Just my two cents worth.

My specs.
Case-Corsair 800D full tower~LG Bluray  Burner.
Processor-Intel I7-3770K @4.2GHZ~Lighton Bluray Burner.
Motherboard-ASUS P8z77-v Deluxe
Memory-G.SKILL Ripjaws x 32GB. DDR3 1600 Dual Channel.
GPU-EVGA GTX-TITAN SC x2 in SLI  Water cooled EK full XXL blocks.
Power Supply-Corsair AX1200 Gold.
1 OCZ VERTEX 4 512GB SSD Boot Drive.1 Crucial M4 128GB SSD cache for Hitachi 2TB storage drive.                             1 WD Caviar Black 1-TB. 7200RPM Hard Drive.
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid cooling Solution for cpu.
Sound Blaster Zx soundcard.
Win.7 64BIT Professional.(Now playing with Win 8.1 to see how i like it.)

THX5334
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 123
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 03:19:59 (permalink)
Ntrain96
gungnir2014
Watch Dogs is making my 780ti choke with low Vram, I am sending it back for full refund, I still have two weeks to return it.

So does anyone know if 6gb models are coming out and when?

thx.

No it isn't. Funny I have the same game, run a 144hz 1080p monitor and run the base reference 780 ti's in SLI with 0 issues.

USER ERROR, poor install, corrupted OS etc would be my guess. 99.99% out of 100 times it always is.

Even Guru3D is claiming and demonstrating that this game easily exceeds 3gb of VRam:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/watch_dogs_vga_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,1.html

I decided to keep those 780 6gb SC's I got and EVGA precision showed the vram usage at 5.9gb on 2560x1600 with everything on Ultra and AA on either FXAA, 2xSSAA or 4xMSAA. I got a smooth and steady 60fps for the most part, but there was a singular instance of a second (or less) of stutter during some high action scenes. 

I don't think your arguments on scaling or poor optimization are wrong at all. But have you considered that things change? This game is eating Vram like it's going out of style. Have you considered that it may be a sign of things to come? I trust you have or will as much as I have that this may be a singular case of poor optimization on Ubisoft Montreal's part, and 3gb of Vram will still be fine. Time will tell. But in this game's case, according to Guru3D and my EVGA precision results, 3gb of Vram is not enough for Ultra settings at 1440p or higher. Whether the game deserves investing in upgraded hardware to run it properly is another conversation altogether. I know I didn't. I upgraded to run BF4 on multi monitor better. But if these results are accurate, it does make me feel a lot better about sticking with these 6gb 780's rather than going for the 3gb Ti's. Especially if they don't come out with the 780ti 6gb. Whereas if they do, I'll step up, or flip these and upgrade if they debut after my step up window expires.  

And to address the OP: The EVGA rep I spoke with on the phone inquiring about step-up options for the cards (before I got them, tried them, and became really happy with them) didn't think a 780ti 6gb was going to be happening. Trust me, I'd love to see it happen too, but lots of gamers are buying Titan's to game. I don't think Nvidia wants to undercut that market. Or, I imagine if they do release a 780ti 6b, it's going to run around $850 so Titan owners don't feel slighted. $150 difference for the Direct Compute sounds about right. They definitely will be at least $700+, but if I'm right about an $850 price point, that's still quite a leap from the $570 780 6gb SC. That being said, I will definitely step up to them if they come out during my step up window. The guy I spoke with was doubtful, but Jacob posted on OCN back in April that the 780ti 6gb would be coming out in June or July. But that was April and I spoke with the EVGA tech 5/15 so maybe things had changed by then? Going by Jacob's post, if nothing does come out by August, then I wouldn't hold my breath for them.... Unless Maxwell somehow gets significantly delayed, then maybe. Believe me, I want them too. Especially with a reference cooler option.  
post edited by THX5334 - 2014/05/27 03:22:23

Current Main Rig:
I7 6900K cooled with Swiftech H240x  
EVGA X99 FTW-K 
Nvidia Titan X Pascal  
Samsung 250gb SSD / 500gb SSD 
16gb G-Skill DDR4 3200 
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Coolermaster Storm Trooper 
Logitech G910 Mechanical and G13 gameboards and Logitech G900 mouse
LG 4K 55" OLED556CP  
Windows 10 64Pro
NVidia Shield portable console

Current Mobile Rig:
Alienware 17" R3
I7 6700HQ, GTX 980m
4K Truelife screen
16gb DDR4 3200
Killer Wireless AC
EVGA 1080 Founders edition powered by Alienware Graphics Amplifier
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 03:32:15 (permalink)
THX5334
Ntrain96
gungnir2014
Watch Dogs is making my 780ti choke with low Vram, I am sending it back for full refund, I still have two weeks to return it.

thx.

No it isn't. Funny I have the same game, run a 144hz 1080p monitor and run the base reference 780 ti's in SLI with 0 issues.

USER ERROR, poor install, corrupted OS etc would be my guess. 99.99% out of 100 times it always is.

Even Guru3D is claiming and demonstrating that this game easily exceeds 3gb of VRam:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/watch_dogs_vga_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,1.html 

Interesting.
BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3797
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 03:47:14 (permalink)
Cidus
enigma442I do not think you are going to see a 6 gig. 780 TI anytime soon.The reason being they have The titan Black,Nvidia will not kill off Titan black sales by making a 780 TI 6 gig. card. 

Titan black is for professional because of double precision so it's another market.
A 780 gtx ti at 6gb is for gamers.I doubt peoples buy a titan black for game only, most of them work with it, so they aim to a different market, i think 780 ti 6gb would be a nice addition for those scaring to not have enough ram in the future and buying ati card because of that or want better performance at 4k
No it's a card made for gaming and it is targeted at gamers not professionals...

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 03:55:09 (permalink)
Ntrain96
BioHazardSpermFWIW a local GB manger was fired for just such actions against company policy .Say what you want ,but i wouldn't risk a friends job just so i could enjoy a game early .My sense of whats right and wrong just wont let me.Kmart has been fined 200,000 for breaking release date salesTesco was fined also in the UK for such actionsA current rumor is  that Ubisoft wants to formally ban the sale of Watch Dogs before the big day, and threatens the stores that don't respect the official release date with a €500,000 fine. 

I highly doubt it was just for that reason alone..........its actually pretty HARD to get fired from that company if your competent. Unfortunately there are a lot of moron kids who are store "managers", lol.............    I don't go out of my way to get anyone fired, when new games are being released Im actually given the HEADS UP. Not the other way around.
Ummmm... No... I happen to be pretty close to the GM and DM here in NC and I'm friends with the manager of our GS... All I get is free marketing and what not from games and pre order bonuses when I did not pre-order... A guy got let go because he was letting people borrow other Poweruprewards cards... Its very easy to get fired and let go... Also very difficult to get a job there as well...

Ntrain96
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1013
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 04:32:14 (permalink)
BF3PRO
Ntrain96
BioHazardSpermFWIW a local GB manger was fired for just such actions against company policy .Say what you want ,but i wouldn't risk a friends job just so i could enjoy a game early .My sense of whats right and wrong just wont let me.Kmart has been fined 200,000 for breaking release date salesTesco was fined also in the UK for such actionsA current rumor is  that Ubisoft wants to formally ban the sale of Watch Dogs before the big day, and threatens the stores that don't respect the official release date with a €500,000 fine. 

I highly doubt it was just for that reason alone..........its actually pretty HARD to get fired from that company if your competent. Unfortunately there are a lot of moron kids who are store "managers", lol.............    I don't go out of my way to get anyone fired, when new games are being released Im actually given the HEADS UP. Not the other way around.
Ummmm... No... I happen to be pretty close to the GM and DM here in NC and I'm friends with the manager of our GS... All I get is free marketing and what not from games and pre order bonuses when I did not pre-order... A guy got let go because he was letting people borrow other Poweruprewards cards... Its very easy to get fired and let go... Also very difficult to get a job there as well...

LOL, everyone all of a sudden is now "friends" with a GS employee or corperate GM here, lol..........to get hired at GS all you need to do is own an Xbox and not be a mass murderer literally.

If all you get is free marketing and pre order bonuses then trust me your not as "close" as you think you are. ;)
Ntrain96
FTW Member
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 04:34:54 (permalink)
THX5334
Ntrain96
gungnir2014

thx.

I decided to keep those 780 6gb SC's I got and EVGA precision showed the vram usage at 5.9gb on 2560x1600 with everything on Ultra and AA on either FXAA, 2xSSAA or 4xMSAA. I got a smooth and steady 60fps for the most part, but there was a singular instance of a second (or less) of stutter during some high action scenes. 

I don't think your arguments on scaling or poor optimization are wrong at all. But have you considered that things change? This game is eating Vram like it's going out of style. Have you considered that it may be a sign of things to come? I trust you have or will as much as I have that this may be a singular case of poor optimization on Ubisoft Montreal's part, and 3gb of Vram will still be fine. Time will tell. But in this game's case, according to Guru3D and my EVGA precision results, 3gb of Vram is not enough for Ultra settings at 1440p or higher. Whether the game deserves investing in upgraded hardware to run it properly is another conversation altogether. I know I didn't. I upgraded to run BF4 on multi monitor better. But if these results are accurate, it does make me feel a lot better about sticking with these 6gb 780's rather than going for the 3gb Ti's. Especially if they don't come out with the 780ti 6gb. Whereas if they do, I'll step up, or flip these and upgrade if they debut after my step up window expires.  

And to address the OP: The EVGA rep I spoke with on the phone inquiring about step-up options for the cards (before I got them, tried them, and became really happy with them) didn't think a 780ti 6gb was going to be happening. Trust me, I'd love to see it happen too, but lots of gamers are buying Titan's to game. I don't think Nvidia wants to undercut that market. Or, I imagine if they do release a 780ti 6b, it's going to run around $850 so Titan owners don't feel slighted. $150 difference for the Direct Compute sounds about right. They definitely will be at least $700+, but if I'm right about an $850 price point, that's still quite a leap from the $570 780 6gb SC. That being said, I will definitely step up to them if they come out during my step up window. The guy I spoke with was doubtful, but Jacob posted on OCN back in April that the 780ti 6gb would be coming out in June or July. But that was April and I spoke with the EVGA tech 5/15 so maybe things had changed by then? Going by Jacob's post, if nothing does come out by August, then I wouldn't hold my breath for them.... Unless Maxwell somehow gets significantly delayed, then maybe. Believe me, I want them too. Especially with a reference cooler option.  

And lets be straight up here. Was this "review" using the correct Nvidia drivers that have the correct profile for this game that came out yesterday? No. Was this review using any launch day game patch? No. Ive seen plenty of pre launch beta reviews were lots of bugs were encountered and games were less than optimized.
THX5334
Superclocked Member
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 04:39:23 (permalink)
Ntrain96
THX5334
Ntrain96
gungnir2014

thx.

And lets be straight up here. Was this "review" using the correct Nvidia drivers that have the correct profile for this game that came out yesterday? No. Was this review using any launch day game patch? No. Ive seen plenty of pre launch beta reviews were lots of bugs were encountered and games were less than optimized.

It's the same driver and profile as release. I don't think many on here would argue that Guru3D is about as legit as it gets. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, my friend.  
post edited by THX5334 - 2014/05/27 04:43:34

Current Main Rig:
EVGA X99 FTW-K 
Nvidia Titan X Pascal  
16gb G-Skill DDR4 3200 
Corsair AX1200 PSU
LG 4K 55" OLED556CP  
Windows 10 64Pro

Current Mobile Rig:
Alienware 17" R3
I7 6700HQ, GTX 980m
4K Truelife screen
16gb DDR4 3200
Killer Wireless AC
BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 04:59:55 (permalink)
Ntrain96
BF3PRO
Ntrain96

LOL, everyone all of a sudden is now "friends" with a GS employee or corperate GM here, lol..........to get hired at GS all you need to do is own an Xbox and not be a mass murderer literally.    If all you get is free marketing and pre order bonuses then trust me your not as "close" as you think you are. ;)
That's funny you say that. It is very difficult to get a job there... You have 0 clue what you are babbling about and I'm very close very close. In fact the GM is my sister in law who gave me her Xbox One because you know all GMs received PS4s and Xbox One's... I don't need anything else as I have other family strategically placed throughout other professions that can pull strings for free stuff. I assure you if the manager is doing what you claim he is doing and his boss knew he would be gone and if his boss let it happen and the GM finds out bye bye.. As a former SGA I can tell you it is very difficult to get hired there. Another issue with your statement is the fact that Gamestop just recently cut hours hard and put a hold on hiring unless absolutely necessary.
post edited by BF3PRO - 2014/05/27 05:02:10

Ntrain96
FTW Member
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 05:26:00 (permalink)
THX5334
Ntrain96
THX5334
Ntrain96
gungnir2014

thx.

It's the same driver and profile as release. I don't think many on here would argue that Guru3D is about as legit as it gets. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, my friend.  

Actually you are correct on the drivers.

Regardless, on my 780 Ti's I get flawless performance and average fps over 80fps.........I play at 1080p ULTRA/maxed settings using 4xTSAA. And that's what GFE recommends as optimal settings for my system.
Ntrain96
FTW Member
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 05:30:55 (permalink)
BF3PRO
Ntrain96
BF3PRO
Ntrain96

LOL, everyone all of a sudden is now "friends" with a GS employee or corperate GM here, lol..........to get hired at GS all you need to do is own an Xbox and not be a mass murderer literally.    If all you get is free marketing and pre order bonuses then trust me your not as "close" as you think you are. ;)
That's funny you say that. It is very difficult to get a job there... You have 0 clue what you are babbling about and I'm very close very close. In fact the GM is my sister in law who gave me her Xbox One because you know all GMs received PS4s and Xbox One's... I don't need anything else as I have other family strategically placed throughout other professions that can pull strings for free stuff. I assure you if the manager is doing what you claim he is doing and his boss knew he would be gone and if his boss let it happen and the GM finds out bye bye.. As a former SGA I can tell you it is very difficult to get hired there. Another issue with your statement is the fact that Gamestop just recently cut hours hard and put a hold on hiring unless absolutely necessary.

GS always cuts hours, puts on hiring holds etc during spring/summer months, its been that way for YEARS..............GS is also dealing with heavy duty competition from the likes of DLing clients like Steam and Origin,WIndows live, PS store, Ebay etc, and in my area Craigslist is the best place for selling and trading used disc based games, since everyone and their brother knows how terrible GS is for trade in value on old games and consoles vs. reselling is at GS. The company won't be around in a few more years because of it.
THX5334
Superclocked Member
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 06:37:57 (permalink)
Ntrain96
THX5334
Ntrain96
THX5334
Ntrain96
gungnir2014

thx.

Regardless, on my 780 Ti's I get flawless performance and average fps over 80fps.........I play at 1080p ULTRA/maxed settings using 4xTSAA. And that's what GFE recommends as optimal settings for my system.

Yeah, that's great for you! Sincerely. But you've been arguing intently that everytime someone mentions going 780 6gb SC over a current 780ti; that they're making a poor decision or are flat out wrong by doing so. Even moreso you've argued this at resolutions much higher than the one you're running - and by doing so, you're being a tad disingenious as this game exemplifies. I'm sure you've already seen the one 780ti SLI thread on it. All I'm saying is, have an open mind and all when giving others advice on how to spend their hard earned money.   

Current Main Rig:
EVGA X99 FTW-K 
Nvidia Titan X Pascal  
16gb G-Skill DDR4 3200 
Corsair AX1200 PSU
LG 4K 55" OLED556CP  
Windows 10 64Pro

Current Mobile Rig:
Alienware 17" R3
I7 6700HQ, GTX 980m
4K Truelife screen
16gb DDR4 3200
Killer Wireless AC
donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15886
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 06:40:10 (permalink)
BF3PRO
No it's a card made for gaming and it is targeted at gamers not professionals...

Its targeted at both.

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
BioHazardSperm
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 9988
  • Ribbons : 26
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 06:42:04 (permalink)
you're all fired go outside

I am  >>NOT< <   a  EVGA Forums Moderator or a EVGA.com  Employee.
I am only a  "Game Server Admin"
My posts and are my own and not EVGA's.

donta1979
Primarch
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 06:48:39 (permalink)
Ntrain96

A Titan Black will not run any game any better at ANY resolution(including 4k/2160p)than a 780ti...............the extra 3gb of vram in games does not offer any more performance. Already proven at all resolutions by multiple benchmark tests. The GK110 will and is the bottleneck well before a full 6 gigs of RAM can be utilized in reality.

Wrong depends on the eye candy you want, what the games engine is offering, if there is a texture patch/already included with hd+ textures, if there is a user generated/created high resolution texture patch/mod, and what the devs offer the gamer in its settings. If that was the case 3gb for the top end card right now would NOT be the standard as vram increases are a mandatory change almost each generation or two of video cards. Sorry but I don't go by reviewers who normally tend to get paid off to review a product, or present fanboyism in their benching, or angry a gpu cost way more than the average person can afford/willing to spend and the results show it just though their settings for a benchmark.

Heatware   

My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
donta1979
Primarch
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 06:49:43 (permalink)
BioHazardSperm
you're all fired go outside

Heatware   

My Build
Ntrain96
FTW Member
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 07:00:43 (permalink)
THX5334
Ntrain96
THX5334
Ntrain96
THX5334
Ntrain96
gungnir2014

thx.

Yeah, that's great for you! Sincerely. But you've been arguing intently that everytime someone mentions going 780 6gb SC over a current 780ti; that they're making a poor decision or are flat out wrong by doing so. Even moreso you've argued this at resolutions much higher than the one you're running - and by doing so, you're being a tad disingenious as this game exemplifies. I'm sure you've already seen the one 780ti SLI thread on it. All I'm saying is, have an open mind and all when giving others advice on how to spend their hard earned money.   

I actually very much have an open mind. And when the time comes for GPU's needing more vram, or extra vram LEGITIMATELY becoming beneficial I will be the FIRST to hop on the bandwagon 100%.

As it stands though, a 6gb 780 makes 0 sense. On a 780 ti with faster memory in still makes 0 sense. It all centers around the power of the GPU itself. Countless benchmarks and comparisons have shown that time and time again.

If someone is trying to decide between a 6gb 780 and a 3gb 780 ti and he can afford either one, the 780 ti is the stronger option and will show actual performance improvements, against both the 780 3gb and 6gb versions.

On the other hand if someone is trying to decide between a regular 3gb 780 and 6gb 780, I would recommend saving the $50 and grabbing the 3gb version as the extra $50 spent will not show any graphical performance improvement........at any resolution. Its been proven already.

WHen the time comes where more than 3gb is really needed, its also a guarantee that the GK110 chip will also being showing its age by being a bottleneck in tandem with the vram provided.

That's it in a nutshell. 
Ntrain96
FTW Member
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 07:05:28 (permalink)
donta1979
Ntrain96

A Titan Black will not run any game any better at ANY resolution(including 4k/2160p)than a 780ti...............the extra 3gb of vram in games does not offer any more performance. Already proven at all resolutions by multiple benchmark tests. The GK110 will and is the bottleneck well before a full 6 gigs of RAM can be utilized in reality.

Wrong depends on the eye candy you want, what the games engine is offering, if there is a texture patch/already included with hd+ textures, if there is a user generated/created high resolution texture patch/mod, and what the devs offer the gamer in its settings. If that was the case 3gb for the top end card right now would NOT be the standard as vram increases are a mandatory change almost each generation or two of video cards. Sorry but I don't go by reviewers who normally tend to get paid off to review a product, or present fanboyism in their benching, or angry a gpu cost way more than the average person can afford/willing to spend and the results show it just though their settings for a benchmark.

Wrong really? Can you post up benchmarks on identical systems showing where the extra vram gave legitimate performance increases? I also don't go by paid off reviewers or fanboys, and highly favor exact apples to apples comparisons...........the very few of those I have seen though have not shown any 6gb Titan Blacks or Blacks in SLI with any legitimate USABLE PERFORMANCE increases over a 780ti or pair of them. I would LOVE links not loaded with opinions and hearsay, but hard posted detailed benchmarks.
donta1979
Primarch
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 07:39:00 (permalink)
Ntrain96
donta1979
Ntrain96

Wrong really? Can you post up benchmarks on identical systems showing where the extra vram gave legitimate performance increases? I also don't go by paid off reviewers or fanboys, and highly favor exact apples to apples comparisons...........the very few of those I have seen though have not shown any 6gb Titan Blacks or Blacks in SLI with any legitimate USABLE PERFORMANCE increases over a 780ti or pair of them. I would LOVE links not loaded with opinions and hearsay, but hard posted detailed benchmarks.

Find me a reviewer who is not on one side of the fence or the other, or thinks its about price of one vs the other. That will show you, but if you really are interested go to mod sites like skyrim nexus, where they have modded the games to the point of actually taking benefits of large amounts of vram test yourself and you will have your answer=) Just be sure to have displays that run from 1080p all the way up to 4k, and the hardware to support your finds, along with every setup imaginable instead of a bias setup that benefits one gpu brand over the other. Also be sure to show all of your settings and not have things turned on to once again benefit one gpu over the other just pure eye popping eye candy that will put any gpu to the max. Because I have yet to see any reviewer do this. Saying there is no benefit is wrong, because in some game engines, and some game engines with user mods picking up where devs have left off for a better visual gaming experience will show you this. I used to work in the gaming industry as an environment artist. Yes many games will not push a 3gb 780 TI. Its why I have one since I only game at 1080p, and I cannot justify a Titan Black that is 1-4 car payments a month for its direct compute, vram capabilities for things like hair simulation, gpu rendering, the works. So settled with the GTX 780 TI. SLI will not matter how many 6gb video cards you have, you could have say 3 titans blacks in tri sli with a total of 18gb of vram and for the gamer all you have is 6gb... or the titanZ coming being shown with 12gb of vram and technically you can only use 6gb of it for the gamer. The time you need large amounts of vram is this, your a professional in the engineering field, visual affects/computer animation/modeling field, you are running crazy high resolutions with the latest triple AA/even some none AA games but that's rare that take advantage of the eye candy such as AA, types of lighting, shaders, how complex those shaders are with the textures and how large those textures really are.

For example you get into a game it is on the rare occasion using all the latest tech available, you want to crank it all up, AA, shaders, particles, physics, lighting, a 4k texture package option for dx 11 be it a developer release or a user made mod release in a multi layered shader option delivery system, you will run into vram issues on multi display/large resolution display setups.  Some people have ran into this with say skyrim, and it does not even offer all the latest and greatest tech. The amount of people gaming over 1080p, multi displays, 4k resolution, needing SLI is a minority. If you really want an answer to your question ask here on the forums there are a few that have their games modded for the best visual experience and that extra vram makes a difference. That is how you are going to get your information. Not off a review site.

Heatware   

My Build
BioHazardSperm
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 9988
  • Ribbons : 26
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 07:53:14 (permalink)
I won't say what his line of work is but things like this I've always found dontas views spot on .

I am  >>NOT< <   a  EVGA Forums Moderator or a EVGA.com  Employee.
I am only a  "Game Server Admin"
My posts and are my own and not EVGA's.

Ntrain96
FTW Member
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 08:04:58 (permalink)
donta1979
Ntrain96
donta1979
Ntrain96

Find me a reviewer who is not on one side of the fence or the other, or thinks its about price of one vs the other. That will show you, but if you really are interested go to mod sites like skyrim nexus, where they have modded the games to the point of actually taking benefits of large amounts of vram test yourself and you will have your answer=) Just be sure to have displays that run from 1080p all the way up to 4k, and the hardware to support your finds, along with every setup imaginable instead of a bias setup that benefits one gpu brand over the other. Also be sure to show all of your settings and not have things turned on to once again benefit one gpu over the other just pure eye popping eye candy that will put any gpu to the max. Because I have yet to see any reviewer do this. Saying there is no benefit is wrong, because in some game engines, and some game engines with user mods picking up where devs have left off for a better visual gaming experience will show you this. I used to work in the gaming industry as an environment artist. Yes many games will not push a 3gb 780 TI. Its why I have one since I only game at 1080p, and I cannot justify a Titan Black that is 1-4 car payments a month for its direct compute, vram capabilities for things like hair simulation, gpu rendering, the works. So settled with the GTX 780 TI. SLI will not matter how many 6gb video cards you have, you could have say 3 titans blacks in tri sli with a total of 18gb of vram and for the gamer all you have is 6gb... or the titanZ coming being shown with 12gb of vram and technically you can only use 6gb of it for the gamer. The time you need large amounts of vram is this, your a professional in the engineering field, visual affects/computer animation/modeling field, you are running crazy high resolutions with the latest triple AA/even some none AA games but that's rare that take advantage of the eye candy such as AA, types of lighting, shaders, how complex those shaders are with the textures and how large those textures really are.

For example you get into a game it is on the rare occasion using all the latest tech available, you want to crank it all up, AA, shaders, particles, physics, lighting, a 4k texture package option for dx 11 be it a developer release or a user made mod release in a multi layered shader option delivery system, you will run into vram issues on multi display/large resolution display setups.  Some people have ran into this with say skyrim, and it does not even offer all the latest and greatest tech. The amount of people gaming over 1080p, multi displays, 4k resolution, needing SLI is a minority. If you really want an answer to your question ask here on the forums there are a few that have their games modded for the best visual experience and that extra vram makes a difference. That is how you are going to get your information. Not off a review site.

I am very familiar with Nexus, and I can understand the point of view. But its been shown and proven that when you modify a game like Skyrim to the extremes that some do, it unbalances the games performance in reality. Yes extra VRAM can be utilized, but at that point, extra GPU power is needed too and with many of those mods the GPU becomes a bottleneck extra vram or not. Its also the very rare case too where extra vram can be beneficial, but it still doesn't cover up the cpu/gpu bottlenecks that are now encountered in many cases.
gungnir2014
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 12:38:26 (permalink)
UPDATE:

I returned my 780ti for a reg 780 6gb model.

What a shame, it really is.
nunzmon
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 201
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 14:24:07 (permalink)
Game play & bench marks are 2 different things, just because 2 cards bench the same doesn't mean the paly the same
3g card & a 6g card   Just saying ......

Asus Rampage IV blk 4930k @ 4.6 1.29v
4x4g corsair Dominator gt ram 2400 9.11.11.31 1t
NVidia Titan XP hybrid Asus pg348q monitor
Ntrain96
FTW Member
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 14:32:27 (permalink)
nunzmon
Game play & bench marks are 2 different things, just because 2 cards bench the same doesn't mean the paly the same

Yeah, actually if 2 cards do bench the same, then they normally do play the same. ;)
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 17:06:09 (permalink)
gungnir2014
UPDATE:

I returned my 780ti for a reg 780 6gb model.
What a shame, it really is.

Why did you do that? 
People should step-up from GTX770 on 780 and from 780 on 780Ti.
Except if you tried and want more performance than GTX780Ti and than plan to buy for 500$ one GTX780 6GB more.
That's real deal than. I can understand that.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

lehpron
Regular Guy
  • Total Posts : 16254
  • Ribbons : 191
Re: why no 6gb version of 780ti? 2014/05/27 21:20:05 (permalink)
Titan Black is a 6GB GTX780 Ti with DP disabled, nVidia will not cannibalize their cash cow (knowing most people that want 6GB are gamers) unless something came along better than Black to succeed it.  In the case where there is no competition, since R9-290X is matched up with GTX780 Ti, fulfilling desires via "customer is always right" doesn't apply anymore.  

That doesn't mean a vendor, like EVGA or ASUS, won't come up with a 6GB version of GTX780 Ti and simply charge a boat load of cash for those that want it badly enough.  That can happen at any time, and until a Maxwell high-end or R9-390X shows up to threaten, there is no hurry on their end.

Risking blasphemy on an enthusiast website, what is your hurry?  Are you unable to play your games at anything but the highest details such that you can't wait for better tech or try alternatives?  If you just need more Vram, go get either a pair of R9-290/290X's for their 4GB buffer or three 6GB AMD Radeon R9-280X's, both options for the same cost as Titan Black and easily outperforming it.  

If you want to restrict your options to nVidia, doing so won't give them incentive to fight for your dollar as they will believe they will get it eventually, so they will take their sweet time.  Customer isn't always right.  Therefore, I strongly advise you to so speak with your wallet and stop sacrificing the whole point of getting better hardware just to stick to a brand that is milking you.

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile