Fans always @ 100% Speed? Why!?

Author
Vanitas_59
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 123
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/07/04 13:18:32 (permalink)
I don't have any external or 3rd party controllers to regulate fan speed.  This also includes software controllers as well.  My dilemma is this:

I am currently running a X99 Classified MOBO.  In the BIOS, I have set my fan curves to my desired speed.  They work great. . .when the PC starts up and actually kicks them in.  It usually takes me like 7-10 shutdown/restart attempts to get the fan curves to actually work.  I'm sick of this.  I've tried everything, including turning them off in the BIOS, quick restart/shutdown, and they are still running!! WHY!?  I don't get it.  I've set everything to 0% fan speed and theyt're still running: 100%.   I've updated the BIOS, updated every single driver associated to the motherboard from the software/driver page.  For the life of me, I can't get the PC to boot up with MY fan curves.  It automatically just puts everything at 100%, including my GTX 1080 Ti(s) in SLI.  My PC sounds like it's on a mission to Mars.  Is there anyone out there who can assist?  I'm about ready to chuck this PC into orbit so it can make its mission.

EVGA Affiliate Code:  X26PBW0MJK

9 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Fans always @ 100% Speed? Why!? 2017/07/04 13:35:50 (permalink)
    Are you talking about during boot up and before you get into Windows? If so, that's actually a normal function. The only cure for that is to get quieter fans or put them all on a fan an external fan controller (not one controlled by the motherboard).

If they continued to be at 100% after Windows loads, then that is another story. 

Be sure you are running the latest BIOS, and if that doesn't work then try one of the other two BIOS', and have you tried clearing the CMOS? (not just loading optimal defaults)
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Fans always @ 100% Speed? Why!? 2017/07/04 14:20:50 (permalink)
    Post your BIOS screen shots

What are your fans ? 3-pin or 4 -pin

Which MB connectors are you using ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Vanitas_59
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Fans always @ 100% Speed? Why!? 2017/07/04 23:58:34 (permalink)
    I've tried clearing the CMOS.  No avail.  All of my fans in my case are Corsair MAGLEV fans.  4-pin PWM.  The continue to be at 100% after Windows loads.  Not sure why this is happening. I've never had it happen before.

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102311
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Fans always @ 100% Speed? Why!? 2017/07/05 00:11:53 (permalink)
    Close all background programs and recheck the fan speed. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Vanitas_59
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Fans always @ 100% Speed? Why!? 2017/07/06 16:52:29 (permalink)
    Thanks Rj.  It seems that when I close all background programs and processess, and restart, then shutdown, followed by powering on the PC.  The fan speeds I have set in the BIOS kick in, but I hate having to do that each and every time I want to jump on the PC to do anything.

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Fans always @ 100% Speed? Why!? 2017/07/06 19:56:34 (permalink)
    That sounds like there is a program that is causing this.

There is a couple of things that you can try - install Windows on a different partition or a different drive to see if the problem goes away. If it does, you need to figure out what program is causing the issue. It's one that loads with Windows, so you can always uninstall one at a time to see which one it is. it could just be an updated version that causes this behavior and needs to be reported to the developer.
    Mazraku
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Fans always @ 100% Speed? Why!? 2017/07/07 16:32:40 (permalink)
    The fan on my 980ti Superclocked has stopped responding to precision and runs at 100% even with nothing running. I can't slow it down in any way shape or form, I have turned off auto and tried manual speed but it just keeps going at 100% I have rebooted a few times, I turned the computer off and back on. It was working fine an hour ago and when I started Arkham Knight it went mad and wont stop..Any ideas on how to fix this? Sounds like a friggin washing machine. P.S according to precision my fan in at 0rpm 
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Fans always @ 100% Speed? Why!? 2017/07/07 19:45:50 (permalink)
    Mazraku
    The fan on my 980ti Superclocked has stopped responding to precision and runs at 100% even with nothing running. I can't slow it down in any way shape or form, I have turned off auto and tried manual speed but it just keeps going at 100% I have rebooted a few times, I turned the computer off and back on. It was working fine an hour ago and when I started Arkham Knight it went mad and wont stop..Any ideas on how to fix this? Sounds like a friggin washing machine. P.S according to precision my fan in at 0rpm 

You really should start you own thread in the 900 series forums: https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-900TITAN-X-Series-f99.aspx 

That said, it sounds like the fan controller is going out. You can try to reseat the video card, reseat the power cables going to the video card, and try reseating the GPU fan plugs in their headers. 

A clean driver install using the methods in step 2 here might help.

Make sure you only have one monitoring program open. If you have multiple programs that monitor and / or control fan speed open, it may be causing this problem. Close them all and test.

If all those steps fail to help then you likely have a fan controller going bad and will need to start an RMA. Register your card here if you already haven't, then open up an RMA by calling or emailing EVGA here (or start the RMA from the My Products page). If you aren't the first owner of this GPU you are still covered under a warranty that began when the card was manufactured, and can register for the RMA here.
    post edited by arestavo - 2017/07/07 19:47:54
    whitrzac
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: Fans always @ 100% Speed? Why!? 2017/07/28 18:13:07 (permalink)
    The only PWM fan header on the classified is the primary CPU fan header(cpu1) all of the others are voltage controlled, even the ones that are 4 pin.

One of the primary reasons why I ditched the classifed for a FTW K...
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile