EVGA

Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti.

Author
mcgman80
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/11/07 07:24:05 (permalink)
Hello all, wondering if anyone can help me out.  Picked up a kingpin 2080ti and installed it in my case to collect and confirm some initial results.  I removed the evga fans and hooked them up to a couple EK vardar 2200rpm fans on the cards fan splitter.  While in PX1 I am requesting 100% fan speed manually from both fan control's.  the cards vrm fan speeds up, hits 100% and remains consistent.  If I request 100% from my radiator fan header the fans ramp up to 2200rpm, then slow down to around 1700, then ramp back up to 2200 over and over.  Its just ramping up and down in a constant cycle.  Its almost as some sort of internal fan speed control on the card is fighting my manual request.  Before I pull everything from my case and start trying different fans I just decided to ask here first.  I did call evga and they were no help at all.  They basically just responded by saying ok, we will make a note of it.  I'm set on the OC bios, PX1 v1.0.2. along with firmware 2b.fa.42. Nvidia driver version is 441.42.

If  you have any insight , please help me out.  tia.

17 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti. 2019/11/07 08:56:37 (permalink)
    Does this occur with the EVGA fans that came with the card as well?
    bp7178
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 373
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti. 2019/11/07 12:46:56 (permalink)
    When you write that the fans are plugged into the cards fan splitter, do you mean the cables the AIO fans normally plug into? 

You can try plugging them into the 4-pin header by the PCIe connectors. Will require a splitter (Y-Cable) to connect two. 
    mcgman80
    Re: Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti. 2019/11/08 06:44:22 (permalink)
    Hey thanks for the replies.   Sorry to confuse anyone.  The fans are plugged into the standard aio location.  The entire card is setup just as out of the package.  The only difference is I replaced the fans for some EK Vardar fans.  I have everything mounted up in my case, so before I remove my case from location and take off the back panel I was curious if anyone is running this exact card with my version of px1 and firmware.  and were you running into this same issue ?  with fans not staying at a relatively stable rpm.  but ramping up and down constantly a few hundred rpm's.
    AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti. 2019/11/09 06:40:29 (permalink)
    Well I know it will suck but the obvious would be to test it with the original fans first. If it does it with them you now know it's either a problem with the fan controller on the card or px1. If it's fine at 100% then the new fans might not be getting enough wattage from the controller.

Could just plug in the fans to a fan port on the mb and set it to 100% if it's not too loud or 75%.

Though that's not a total fix cause If their is a problem with the card evga should be replacing the card.

I'd be no help as my card is on a hydro block... and long ago I used 4 Corsair SP120 HP fans on the stock rad right off the bat connected to the mb at 100% the whole time.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    Re: Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti. 2019/11/09 06:50:06 (permalink)
    mcgman80
    Hey thanks for the replies.   Sorry to confuse anyone.  The fans are plugged into the standard aio location.  The entire card is setup just as out of the package.  The only difference is I replaced the fans for some EK Vardar fans.  I have everything mounted up in my case, so before I remove my case from location and take off the back panel I was curious if anyone is running this exact card with my version of px1 and firmware.  and were you running into this same issue ?  with fans not staying at a relatively stable rpm.  but ramping up and down constantly a few hundred rpm's.

Im using the hydro copper block as well right now but before switching out i was using the noctua fans. If i remember though it seemed like with the higher rpm fans it would not register properly in px1 because it was set to monitor max rpm's of the stock fans capability. However if the fan was plugged into the external fan connection on the end of the card it would properly monitor the fans rpm's but i never did have an issue with them speeding up and slowing down.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti. 2019/11/09 06:50:28 (permalink)
    Maybe just need to change fan hysteresis to say 3 - 5

default is 0 & can allow the fans to hunt

Or does this happen at a Fix RPM - say 60%

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti. 2019/11/09 07:30:06 (permalink)
    Could also flash the ln2 bios into the OC bios switch position as it will allow temp protection and 100% fans.

Follow TiNs guide here under the bios section https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#biost

Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    mcgman80
    Re: Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti. 2019/11/09 10:40:34 (permalink)
    Hello everyone, thank you so much for the information. I had the time this morning to dig into everything and recable manage everything.  So I hooked up the evga fans and they are stable and functioning perfectly at 100% requested fan speed.  everything is working as intended so long as I use the EVGA fans.  I decided against using them because you can see through the front of my case and my EK fans have gray blades so I wanted everything to match looking in.  So I compromised and ran my EK fans in the front viewing of the case and hooked them up to my MB channel as regular chassis fans in push config, then I hooked up the EVGA fans to the other side of the rad in pull config and hooked them up to the card.  The nice thing is as a result the card is running a bit cooler at stable 2160 mhz clock/8000mhz on the memory (these are just some conservative numbers I am using for regular task usage) with the highest temp just touching 41C.  although it mostly hung out at 39C to 41C.  I'm actually very happy with that number as its actually about 5C lower temp than my other PC which is running an open loop with 2 360mm rads.

Like someone mentioned about , because the original fans I was attempting to use ran at 2200-2300 rpm, it appeared to cause the evga fan controller to keep trying to bring the speed down to 1700/1800 rpm, then it would bounce back up to 2300.  I did not have a chance to test anything on the external fan header of the card, but I will try that next when I get some time. 

Thankfully everything is working as intended at the moment,  I did not want to rma the card as I just figured its something on the software end.  My next solution was going to be to connect the radiator fans to the MB and just control them through there at a single speed.  I cannot find any software sensors that can pick up the water temp on from the VGA as i'm assuming PX1 is monitoring it ?  correct ?
    post edited by mcgman80 - 2019/11/09 10:48:16
    mcgman80
    Re: Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti. 2019/11/09 10:44:59 (permalink)
    Does anyone know what GPU2 temp is referring to in the PX1 hardware monitor ?

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti. 2019/11/09 11:25:03 (permalink)
    mcgman80
    Does anyone know what GPU2 temp is referring to in the PX1 hardware monitor ?

GPU2 temp is kinda of just the temp on the outer part of the die as what i can tell, the GPU1 is the die itself and GPU2 is the outer area of the die.

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti. 2019/11/09 11:28:15 (permalink)
    mcgman80
    Hello everyone, thank you so much for the information. I had the time this morning to dig into everything and recable manage everything.  So I hooked up the evga fans and they are stable and functioning perfectly at 100% requested fan speed.  everything is working as intended so long as I use the EVGA fans.  I decided against using them because you can see through the front of my case and my EK fans have gray blades so I wanted everything to match looking in.  So I compromised and ran my EK fans in the front viewing of the case and hooked them up to my MB channel as regular chassis fans in push config, then I hooked up the EVGA fans to the other side of the rad in pull config and hooked them up to the card.  The nice thing is as a result the card is running a bit cooler at stable 2160 mhz clock/8000mhz on the memory (these are just some conservative numbers I am using for regular task usage) with the highest temp just touching 41C.  although it mostly hung out at 39C to 41C.  I'm actually very happy with that number as its actually about 5C lower temp than my other PC which is running an open loop with 2 360mm rads.

Like someone mentioned about , because the original fans I was attempting to use ran at 2200-2300 rpm, it appeared to cause the evga fan controller to keep trying to bring the speed down to 1700/1800 rpm, then it would bounce back up to 2300.  I did not have a chance to test anything on the external fan header of the card, but I will try that next when I get some time. 

Thankfully everything is working as intended at the moment,  I did not want to rma the card as I just figured its something on the software end.  My next solution was going to be to connect the radiator fans to the MB and just control them through there at a single speed.  I cannot find any software sensors that can pick up the water temp on from the VGA as i'm assuming PX1 is monitoring it ?  correct ?

If you hook your higher rpm fans up to the external header they will work properly, my noctua 3000 rpm fans with a y splittter on them will go to max speeds on that header, but if hooked to the connection that the original fans are on they will not go to max speeds.  Fan 1 in PX1 is VRM fan, Fan 2 in PX1 is radiator fans, Fan 3 in PX1 is the external connection.

mcgman80
    Re: Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti. 2019/11/09 15:18:21 (permalink)
    dwexpress
    mcgman80

If you hook your higher rpm fans up to the external header they will work properly, my noctua 3000 rpm fans with a y splittter on them will go to max speeds on that header, but if hooked to the connection that the original fans are on they will not go to max speeds.  Fan 1 in PX1 is VRM fan, Fan 2 in PX1 is radiator fans, Fan 3 in PX1 is the external connection.

oh thats a great idea.  I'm going to do that.  thanks again.  its good to know it wasnt just an isolated issue I was seeing. So running faster fans kind of confuses the cards intended fan/rad header, but the Fan 3 header has no issue accepting fans that run at a different rpm.  I would imagine this is something that EVGA can sort out through the cards firmware ?  Have other people notified them of this ?  Ive never had an aio care what speed fan I installed on it compared to the originally intended one it shipped with.
    mcgman80
    Re: Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti. 2019/11/11 14:55:37 (permalink)
    I know this is off topic but is PX1 V1.0.2 sometimes crashing on windows startup ?  I'm kind of tied to using PX1 now that I have this card.  This version is relatively stable but its still not 100% I see.  I did a full uninstall, deleting everything including cleaning the registry manually (then clean installed without LED Sync) but I still see these crashes probably 10% of the time upon loading windows.
    AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti. 2019/11/12 06:08:12 (permalink)
    No idea.. I've never had a px or px1 crash ever. I always need to go into safe mode to delete all the evga's folders in win10. Maybe you removed too much from the register and need to now ddu the nvidia drivers in safe mode and install the drivers again. If so.. do px1 install after.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti. 2019/11/12 06:29:30 (permalink)
    You did ALL of these steps ? 

Visual C++ Runtime Redistributable is Up to date ?

How Do I Troubleshoot Precision X1 Issues?

Did You install with:
    Offline to prevent any kind of AUTO Update feature from Win 10 or other software ?
    All background software turned Off - Including Security Software [Go offline first] ?
    As Admin with Elevated privileges ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

mcgman80
    Re: Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti. 2019/11/17 09:48:42 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    You did ALL of these steps ? 

Visual C++ Runtime Redistributable is Up to date ?

How Do I Troubleshoot Precision X1 Issues?

Did You install with:
    Offline to prevent any kind of AUTO Update feature from Win 10 or other software ?
    All background software turned Off - Including Security Software [Go offline first] ?
    As Admin with Elevated privileges ?

No I did my method of uninstalling the app, removing from registry, then deleting all folders with EVGA.   This time is appears to have fixed the crashing problem (i'm almost afraid to jinx myself and say this).  But I will go ahead and make note of your method and use it in the future.  Thank you.  Luckily with the help in this thread I was able to workaround all my issues and run the card how I want.  I have never had an issue with changing fans on an aio setup to different ones.  but again, I was able to workaround it by using the extra fan header and using fans of the same RPM that EVGA provides on the cooler.  Luckily EK vardar offers 1800 as well as 2200rpm fans.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Fan speed problem on Kingpin 2080ti. 2019/11/17 10:04:15 (permalink)
      happy to see you have it Working

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile