EVGA

AnsweredHot!Fan came halfway back to life but RMA was already approved and sent. Question for EVGA

Author
GameOverMan
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 151
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2022/12/03 17:38:47 (permalink)
Hey all, EVGA went ahead and was amazing enough to process my advanced RMA.  The middle fan was stopping and making horrible noise.  Today, about 2 hours ago, the fan came back up, but only at half speed, but I cant hear the rattling sound.

I have video and screenshots of the fan dying and starting.  I let the fans at 100% and watched them for an hour, the middle fan is going from 1000 to 1800 where as fan 1 and 3 maintain their max speed.

EVGA will be able to see I had an honest issue right?  I dont want to get charged on a bad rma claim.  I posted videos and pictures in another thread, when the issue existed and evga has resolved the issue, but the middle fan is back alive, but at 50% of what it used to me.

edit, I took my headphones off, I can still hear something rattling, just not as loud as before, so hopefully evga can figure it out, I just overthink issues I guess
post edited by GameOverMan - 2022/12/03 17:39:57
the_Scarlet_one
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 24355
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Fan came halfway back to life but RMA was already approved and sent. Question for EVG 2022/12/03 18:28:06 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby GameOverMan 2022/12/03 18:29:02
EVGA will take care of you. Just keep using the card as is, and if you need to update them, do so through the email chain you already have established. EVGA is almost always very understanding, and will work with you.
GameOverMan
Superclocked Member
Re: Fan came halfway back to life but RMA was already approved and sent. Question for EVG 2022/12/03 18:30:46 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
EVGA will take care of you. Just keep using the card as is, and if you need to update them, do so through the email chain you already have established. EVGA is almost always very understanding, and will work with you.

Awesome thanks, yeah the new one is on they way, I try and solve anything I can before contacting them, when it came back on I was like oh hell, bu I see the fan isnt full powered as before the issue and the sound is now almost gone.  The replacement will be here Tuesday and Ill return this one as planned.  I just overthink and easily stress myself out for no reason, I dont get myself sometimes lol
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 9307
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Fan came halfway back to life but RMA was already approved and sent. Question for EVG 2022/12/04 02:15:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GameOverMan 2022/12/04 06:07:23
If it’s not at full speed and making noise I wouldn’t worry that it came back on since it’s still showing signs of a problem. I would contact EVGA with the ticket/RMA number and let them know along with the reduced speed and noise you are hearing. That way they know in testing that it’s now working at some level but still an issue.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

EVGATech_NickB
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 92
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Fan came halfway back to life but RMA was already approved and sent. Question for EVG 2022/12/05 15:16:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GameOverMan 2022/12/05 20:12:59
GameOverMan
the_Scarlet_one

Awesome thanks, yeah the new one is on they way, I try and solve anything I can before contacting them, when it came back on I was like oh hell, bu I see the fan isnt full powered as before the issue and the sound is now almost gone.  The replacement will be here Tuesday and Ill return this one as planned.  I just overthink and easily stress myself out for no reason, I dont get myself sometimes lol

I went ahead and updated the RMA ticket so we know what to look out for once we received it. Should have no negative impact on the RMA!
GameOverMan
Superclocked Member
Re: Fan came halfway back to life but RMA was already approved and sent. Question for EVG 2022/12/05 20:15:58 (permalink)
EVGATech_NickB
GameOverMan
the_Scarlet_one

I went ahead and updated the RMA ticket so we know what to look out for once we received it. Should have no negative impact on the RMA!

TY.  I just turned my pc on to check my emails and the gpu just broke itself!!! No Lie!

It made that paper hitting fan sound and then a sudden crash, which was the blade hitting the case.  I will include anything I find laying on the bottom of the case, but I sure hope EVGA can tell this isnt something I did.  I wasnt playing with it and tried not using the pc much
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 9307
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Fan came halfway back to life but RMA was already approved and sent. Question for EVG 2022/12/05 23:01:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GameOverMan 2022/12/05 23:08:07
Definitely including all the parts you can from the fan but at least EVGA knows it’s a fan issue all along so I wouldn’t be worried. Seems like this thread shows it working with issues and then breaking.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

GameOverMan
Superclocked Member
Re: Fan came halfway back to life but RMA was already approved and sent. Question for EVG 2022/12/05 23:09:50 (permalink)
Hoggle
Definitely including all the parts you can from the fan but at least EVGA knows it’s a fan issue all along so I wouldn’t be worried. Seems like this thread shows it working with issues and then breaking.

Ok Thanks, yeah.  I know I worry alot, but I try to report every update.  I done that the last time too, the last one would come on then die then come on, but it never came off.  TY again and sorry im such a worry wart about this.  I try hard to take care of my hardware and I freak when something goes wrong :/

I didnt touch the gpu yet, I left the fan part where it is, in the morning Ill take pictures of it all before i remove it, the new gpu will be here tomorrow and ill remove it then.
EVGATech_NickB
EVGA Tech Support
Re: Fan came halfway back to life but RMA was already approved and sent. Question for EVG 2022/12/06 09:13:11 (permalink)
GameOverMan
Hoggle

Ok Thanks, yeah.  I know I worry alot, but I try to report every update.  I done that the last time too, the last one would come on then die then come on, but it never came off.  TY again and sorry im such a worry wart about this.  I try hard to take care of my hardware and I freak when something goes wrong :/

I didnt touch the gpu yet, I left the fan part where it is, in the morning Ill take pictures of it all before i remove it, the new gpu will be here tomorrow and ill remove it then.

As Hoggle mentioned, you would just need to include the fan in the package, and I would suggest packing it in such a way that the fan does not move freely in transit. I have marked your RMA with the update, shouldn't be an issue!
the_Scarlet_one
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 24355
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Fan came halfway back to life but RMA was already approved and sent. Question for EVG 2022/12/06 09:15:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GameOverMan 2022/12/06 13:48:28
GameOverMan 
TY.  I just turned my pc on to check my emails and the gpu just broke itself!!! No Lie!

It made that paper hitting fan sound and then a sudden crash, which was the blade hitting the case.  I will include anything I find laying on the bottom of the case, but I sure hope EVGA can tell this isnt something I did.  I wasnt playing with it and tried not using the pc much

Well, at least you know where the problem was :-/

Evga will take care of you with this.
GameOverMan
Superclocked Member
Re: Fan came halfway back to life but RMA was already approved and sent. Question for EVG 2022/12/06 13:48:19 (permalink)
Ok good news and I think goods news and a question.

Good news My RTX 3080 FTW arrived.  OMG that thing is like double the size of the xc3 HOLY SHEET man, was not expecting that.

The news on the old gpu.  I put it in the anti-static paper and in the box, but the fan that fell off, I placed it back on the top, the fan itself doesnt seem to be broke, it looks literally like it spun itself off,  I didnt know if I should tape it, so I just sat it on the area it came off, and secured it with anti static wrap and the box the ftw came in.

[image]blob:https://imgur.com/3f0a712...4d80-b2c6-fdd242c43f17[/image]

I have boxed up the old GPU.  I will have it at the UPS office either Thursday or Friday, that is as fast as I can get a ride.

Now my question.  This GPU uses 3x PCI 6+2 connectors.  Is it ok to use 2 pcie express cables?  1 6+2  and 1 6+2 and the split 6+2 or should I be using 3 pcie express cables?  I used 2 dedicated ones for the old gpu.  Thanks
post edited by GameOverMan - 2022/12/06 13:49:46
EVGATech_NickB
EVGA Tech Support
Re: Fan came halfway back to life but RMA was already approved and sent. Question for EVG 2022/12/06 13:56:12 (permalink)
GameOverMan

Good news My RTX 3080 FTW arrived.  OMG that thing is like double the size of the xc3 HOLY SHEET man, was not expecting that.

The news on the old gpu.  I put it in the anti static paper and in the box, but the fan that fell off, I placed it back on the stop, the fan itself doesnt seem to be broke, it looks literally like it spun itself off,  I didnt know if I should take it, so I just sat it on the area it came off, and secured it with anti static wrap and the box the ftw came in.

I have boxed up the old GPU.  I will have it at the UPS office either Thursday or Friday, that is as fast as I can get a ride.

Now my question.  This GPU uses 3x PCI 6+2 connectors.  Is it ok to use 2 pcie express cables?  1 6+2  and 1 6+2 and the split 6+2 or should I be using 3 pcie express cables?  I used 2 dedicated ones for the old gpu.  Thanks

If you have not shipped the card yet I would suggest putting a a piece of tape to hold the fan in place if possible. There is a chance it can move and cause further damage in shipping.  Regarding the cable question, it is recommended to use a separate cable for each 8 pin power connection on the card. 
GameOverMan
Superclocked Member
Re: Fan came halfway back to life but RMA was already approved and sent. Question for EVG 2022/12/06 14:05:15 (permalink)
EVGATech_NickB
GameOverMan

The news on the old gpu.  I put it in the anti static paper and in the box, but the fan that fell off, I placed it back on the stop, the fan itself doesnt seem to be broke, it looks literally like it spun itself off,  I didnt know if I should take it, so I just sat it on the area it came off, and secured it with anti static wrap and the box the ftw came in.

If you have not shipped the card yet I would suggest putting a a piece of tape to hold the fan in place if possible. There is a chance it can move and cause further damage in shipping.  Regarding the cable question, it is recommended to use a separate cable for each 8 pin power connection on the card. 

Ok ty.  Ill take some normal tape and tape the middle fan.  My 850watt PSU only came with 2 pcie express cables,  But my corsair 750watt psu also came with 2 cables.  And its been retired in a box.   I can grab one of those and make it 3 dedicated 6+2 pins
EVGATech_NickB
EVGA Tech Support
Re: Fan came halfway back to life but RMA was already approved and sent. Question for EVG 2022/12/06 15:47:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GameOverMan 2022/12/06 19:28:40
GameOverMan, Definitely would not recommend using another manufacturer's PCIE cable as they may not be pinned the same and can cause some damage. Grab the serial number of the PSU and send an email to support@evga.com and we can see what we can do for you regarding an extra cable.
GameOverMan
Superclocked Member
Re: Fan came halfway back to life but RMA was already approved and sent. Question for EVG 2022/12/06 19:32:03 (permalink)
EVGATech_NickB
GameOverMan, Definitely would not recommend using another manufacturer's PCIE cable as they may not be pinned the same and can cause some damage. Grab the serial number of the PSU and send an email to support@evga.com and we can see what we can do for you regarding an extra cable.

TY, I checked after I woke up, my PSU actually came with 4 PCie 6+2 cables, so I wont need to try any witchery or contact support.  I am going to install the gpu properly in the next hour or so.
EVGATech_NickB
EVGA Tech Support
Re: Fan came halfway back to life but RMA was already approved and sent. Question for EVG 2022/12/07 16:32:05 (permalink)
GameOverMan
EVGATech_NickB

TY, I checked after I woke up, my PSU actually came with 4 PCie 6+2 cables, so I wont need to try any witchery or contact support.  I am going to install the gpu properly in the next hour or so.

Glad to hear it! You notice any other issues please don't hesitate to reach out.
GameOverMan
Superclocked Member
Re: Fan came halfway back to life but RMA was already approved and sent. Question for EVG 2022/12/07 16:49:13 (permalink)
EVGATech_NickB
GameOverMan
EVGATech_NickB

Glad to hear it! You notice any other issues please don't hesitate to reach out.

Sadly its been nothing but trouble.  The pc boots up on the new GPU, but any game I run crashes the gpu I get a black screen  I have several gpuz logs but no clue how to read them.   I did some searching, seems the black screen fans at full speed is a long standing issue.  Still googling to see how to fix.

Even though my pc I know works, I am installing windows 11 on my old pc that was in the closet, to see if the issue can be reproduced on 2 separate systems
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile