FSP at CES 2020: A Next-Gen Pure 12V PSU, and a UPS That Wants to See the World

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102311
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/01/16 07:22:22 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/263012/fsp-at-ces-2020-a-next-gen-pure-12v-psu-and-a-ups-that-wants-to-see-the-world

Fortron's consumer brand, FSP, brought a handful new power products to CES 2020, besides its already launched CMT710 premium gaming chassis, the Hydro G Pro premium modular PSU from mid-2019, and Dagger Pro SFX PSUs. The inconspicuous-looking FSP500-30AKB looks like a cheap OEM-included PSU with rear 80 mm exhaust, which comes included with your case, and which you immediately discard. Only that it's possibly the most innovative thing FSP brought to CES. This PSU is being designed for Intel's upcoming PC spec that does away with the 5 V, 5 Vsb, and 3.3 V power domains altogether.

The pure-12 V PSU has only two domains: +12V and +12 Vsb. What this means is a goodbye to the bulky 24-pin ATX power connector. The PSU only feeds 12 V to your motherboard, which uses onboard VRM and DC-to-DC switching to put out the lower voltage domains, including power for your SATA storage devices. The 24-pin connector is effectively reduced to a new 10-pin connector that only has 12 V and 12 Vsb cabling. Other cables include 8-pin EPS connectors for your CPU VRM, and 6+2 pin PCIe connectors for your graphics cards. EPS and PCIe power are purely 12 V-based standards already. The 5-pin connector is less than half as thick as your 24-pin connector, and 2 pins wider than an EPS connector. Some of the more premium PSUs may user thicker gauge wires for this connector.

Next up is the Emergy 1000, a UPS dressed like a travel bag (with wheels, handle, and a plastic body to boot, which is ready to hit the road. It also has a lid with a bag-like zipper, which opens up a compartment where you tuck in its 3-pin AC cable. Inside is a sealed lead acid battery (and not lithium-ion), just like a UPS, and a 1.5 kVA pure sine-wave AC inverter. The charging component pulls 600 W off the wall to rapidly recharge the battery. Besides taking in 3-pin AC (100-240 VAC wide input range), the Emergy 1000 also takes in 12 V from third-party solar panels. Unfortunately, FSP didn't put out any official Ah figures for the battery.

This new power spec from Intel is of interest. The less PSU cables the better in my opinion.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

5 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: FSP at CES 2020: A Next-Gen Pure 12V PSU, and a UPS That Wants to See the World 2020/01/16 09:29:18 (permalink)
    interesting UPS - for the traveling gamer

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: FSP at CES 2020: A Next-Gen Pure 12V PSU, and a UPS That Wants to See the World 2020/01/16 23:14:52 (permalink)
    I kinda cringe a little when I hear a PSU's cooling fans are under 120mm.  Kinda reminds me of the loud audibles of my old antec case's cooling fans at 80mm or 90mm.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: FSP at CES 2020: A Next-Gen Pure 12V PSU, and a UPS That Wants to See the World 2020/01/19 14:43:21 (permalink)
    Good find Ty RJ😼

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: FSP at CES 2020: A Next-Gen Pure 12V PSU, and a UPS That Wants to See the World 2020/01/19 15:14:34 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    I kinda cringe a little when I hear a PSU's cooling fans are under 120mm.  Kinda reminds me of the loud audibles of my old antec case's cooling fans at 80mm or 90mm.

A lot of modern PSU's can rarely use the cooling fans so I wouldn't worry that much about the size since it will only spin when near load. If you are far below load then the fan will only spin a little at start up and then turn off.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: FSP at CES 2020: A Next-Gen Pure 12V PSU, and a UPS That Wants to See the World 2020/01/19 22:46:38 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    GTXJackBauer

A lot of modern PSU's can rarely use the cooling fans so I wouldn't worry that much about the size since it will only spin when near load. If you are far below load then the fan will only spin a little at start up and then turn off.

True but the PSU is still running warm in most bigger sized cases.  With smaller cases, you should hit that thermal threshold quicker for needed cooling. 

I'm not a fan of high performance components in small cases.  You can't have the best of both worlds as much as some think they could.  It's a myth really unless you're running some type of loop but than again, trying to fit small rads in a small case will still have ramped up fans to conpensate for the saturation of heat.  The other thing also, the heat buildup throughout the loop of being too warm or hot will also lessen the AIO's pump.  It also has electronics/PCB housed in the pump housing.

I gave my brother a 8+ year old (I think) Corsair H50 CPU AIO and it's still running because I've never cooked that thing up.  I'm still amazed that it still runs. lol

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile