EVGA

Extreme pixelation of images with Chrome based browsers.

Author
comrade
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1316
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2020/03/17 11:57:42 (permalink)
For at least the last year and a half or so, I have been having trouble with extreme pixelation of images on web sites and also with video's, particularly on YouTube.

I have no idea what caused it or exactly when it happened, but all of a sudden one day I'm getting extreme pixelation of images on web sites.  Not all images and it seems to be only images.  On YouTube, I see some pixelation of videos, particularly in the dark areas and low resolution videos seem to be the worst. 

I had been using Chrome as my browser and I found that it did not happen on MS Edge, or on IE.  So..., I switched to using Edge.

Then, Edge updated to being based on Chrome.  Now the same thing happens there.  I have attached a couple of screen shots showing what happens.  It's not on the text or other graphics, only on images.

I have switched back to an older version of Chrome.  Any version after 75 seems to have the problem.  I also switched back to what they now call Legacy Edge.  I had to download a version of Chrome that has the auto update blocked.

I have since tried everything I can think of.  New cables on my twin monitors.  Tried a different monitor.  switched my two video cards around.  Ran with one video card, then the other.  I borrowed a different video card from work, a brand new GT 720..., same problem.  I have done complete, fresh re-installs of Windows 10 Pro, several times.  I went out and bought a new Samsung 1 Terabyte M2 NVME hard drive for the computer, then a complete reinstall of Windows.  Tried several different video drivers.  I have run the DISM programs and the SFC programs, and they show no errors or problems.  I have removed and reseated the memory.  I have tried the memory one stick at a time.

All of these have produced no difference.  I can run older versions of Chrome without a problem.  I can run Legacy Edge without a problem.  IE works, but I've gotten so used to the newer browsers, I just don't like the way it works.

I can run both monitors at their full 3840 x 2160 resolution, with a full screen UHD video playing on each without a problem.  However, as soon as I install the new versions of Chrome or Edge, the pixelation returns.  I have run all the memory tests and cpu tests I can find and none show any problems.  Nothing on the computer is overclocked.  The power supply seems to be fine, but I did try an older 1,000 Watt unit that I have, with no change.  

I have emailed both Google and Microsoft many times, and filed error reports to Google literally hundreds of times.  Of course, neither company has responded at all, except for canned responses saying how important I am to them and how committed they are to customer service..., (what a laugh that is)!

At this point, I'm lost as to what to do.  About all I can do is buy a new MB and CPU, I guess, but that's not cheap, and at the moment I'm getting tons of medical bills due to being diagnosed with a rare form of cancer and still undergoing chemotherapy at regular intervals, (the cancer is not curable, but supposed to be controllable).

I've spent many hours trying all the suggestions on the forums for both Google and Microsoft.  Nothing seems to work.  Chrome keeps nagging me with messages telling me that I'm in dire need of an immediate update or I'll be vulnerable to all sorts of things.  Microsoft doesn't even answer!

I search the forums and find that this problem is not new and I found instances of it going back to 2015.  No one ever seems to have been able to solve it.

Is it possible that something on my MB or CPU has gone bad?  If that is so, why does this problem only happen with Chrome and Chrome based browsers.  (It also happens with Firefox!)

Any help would be appreciated.  (The three year warranty on my EVGA GTX 1080ti's has just expired.)

Picture 1 shows a website with old Chrome.  Pictures 2 and 3 show the same web site with new Chrome and Chrome based Edge.

post edited by comrade - 2020/03/17 12:01:54

Attached Image(s)

Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Pro WiFi Amd sTRX4 ATX MB, AMD Ryzen 9 Threadripper 3960x, EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING, 24G-P5-3988-KR, twin - 28" 3840 x 2160 Monitors, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, M2 NVME SSD for OS, 3x2 TB  Samsung 980 Pro SSD's for storage, Samsung SH-203 SATA DVD Drive, Coolermaster 1000 Watt PSU, Win 11 Pro, Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced case. EVGA Z20 Gaming Keyboard, Razer Orochi 2013 Mouse.

3 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Extreme pixelation of images with Chrome based browsers. 2020/03/17 13:15:01 (permalink)
    Sounds like you need to try web browsers which aren't chromium based. Safari is a good place to start.
    comrade
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1316
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Extreme pixelation of images with Chrome based browsers. 2020/03/17 14:43:41 (permalink)
    I can do that.  I'll probably try Safari tonight, but that doesn't solve the problem.  What is causing it?  Is it a hardware problem, or a software problem?  Why can I see some images on a web page, but others are pixelated, and then refresh the page and the pixelated images clear up, but then others are pixelated?  With two, EVGA GTX 1080ti's, which may not be the absolute latest thing, but they really ought to work just great.

I can watch 3840 x 2160 video's without a hitch...., but a static image on a website doesn't work?  That doesn't make sense.

If it's hardware related, I'd love to be able to just build a new computer, but right now, especially with what I'm hearing on the news and the fact that we are having trouble buying toilet paper..., I'm not really going to spring for a couple of thousand dollars for new computer parts.  Then there's the fact that each chemotherapy session goes for over $40,000 for one day, and although I have insurance now, I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow.

I really don't have much faith in the current crop of idiots in Washington solving this virus thing any time soon, and at my age and with my medical issues of cancer and diabetes and arthritis, my wife doesn't even want me to leave the house.  My computer is the main source of info and keeping in touch with people.

Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Pro WiFi Amd sTRX4 ATX MB, AMD Ryzen 9 Threadripper 3960x, EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING, 24G-P5-3988-KR, twin - 28" 3840 x 2160 Monitors, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, M2 NVME SSD for OS, 3x2 TB  Samsung 980 Pro SSD's for storage, Samsung SH-203 SATA DVD Drive, Coolermaster 1000 Watt PSU, Win 11 Pro, Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced case. EVGA Z20 Gaming Keyboard, Razer Orochi 2013 Mouse.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Extreme pixelation of images with Chrome based browsers. 2020/03/17 14:48:04 (permalink)
    Clearly it's a software issue since older chromium based browsers work just fine.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile