EVGA

Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Rengifooo
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/08/21 07:20:15 (permalink)
No matter what i do, i can't seem to change the fact that my framerates won't hit 60 fps on Arkham City. Highest or lowest settings, it doesn't matter. On Ultra i get 35-45 fps with drops that can get me even lower. On lowest and everything disable, i get 55-59. I've tried reinstalling the game but that doesn't seem to work.
I have even watched youtube videos about BM:AC with gtx 1070 and the fps are off the charts compared to mine.
The weird thing is that on Arkham Asylum it's 60fps easy and when i benchmarked Arkham Knight it was constant 59-60fps on Ultra Settings everything enabled.
Could you guys please help me? I've been trying for two day to fix it without any results.

My specs:
GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SUPERCLOCKED 8GB
CPU: i7 7700k 4.20GHz
MB: GIGABYTE Z270XP-SLI
SSD: CRUCIAL MX300 525GB M.2
HDD: TOSHIBA P300 7200RPM 64MB CACHE
RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz

31 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/21 15:06:36 (permalink)
    You didn't optimize the game with geforce experience did you?
    Rengifooo
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/21 22:32:12 (permalink)
    Sajin
    You didn't optimize the game with geforce experience did you?

I did give it a go after many hours of trying to make the game work. It didn't work. After reading some topics in the internet, i had decided to uninstall all Nvidia content in my computer, DDU just in case and then clean install manually everything back except Geforce Experience. Again, no improvements. Same framerates. I've noticed in Afterburner when i use the in-game benchmark that Arkham City has, the CPU performs by almost 30% greater than my GPU. GPU 30-40% CPU 60-70%. I don't know if that helps in any way since i have no idea what's going on.
    post edited by Rengifooo - 2017/08/22 03:03:41
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/22 03:18:24 (permalink)
    Since you optimized the game with geforce experience you'll need to perform #5 listed here to get the game back to defaults. 60-70% on the cpu... are you playing at 1080p? If yes, use nvidia dsr to increase your resolution to like 1440p to see if it helps bring your gpu usage up.
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/22 04:23:02 (permalink)
    After you do what Sajin says, make sure in the NVidia control center, under manage 3d settings,  that you setup the global settings then make a setup for that game specifically. In the actual game settings, when you load the game, turn off just the settings in the actual game that you can control with the NVidia control center like vsync, antistrophic, antialiasing, etc... Make sure your NCc settings have max power set in power management, adaptive vsync, triple buffering on and the rest are up to you. What is your windows O/S power options set at? With the correct settings your rig should be running rings around Arkham City. Do you disable your antivirus/malware monitoring during gaming? Is windows update disabled?

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Rengifooo
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/22 06:22:37 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Since you optimized the game with geforce experience you'll need to perform #5 here to get the game back to defaults. 60-70% on the cpu... are you playing at 1080p? If yes, use nvidia dsr to increase your resolution to like 1440p to see if it helps bring your gpu usage up.

I just did what you have said to me but unfortunately it's not really working. I didn't know which one to choose in DSR so i chose the 4x Factor and 100% smoothness. Still CPU1 is higher than GPU.
    Rengifooo
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/22 06:51:23 (permalink)
    wmmills
    After you do what Sajin says, make sure in the NVidia control center, under manage 3d settings,  that you setup the global settings then make a setup for that game specifically. In the actual game settings, when you load the game, turn off just the settings in the actual game that you can control with the NVidia control center like vsync, antistrophic, antialiasing, etc... Make sure your NCc settings have max power set in power management, adaptive vsync, triple buffering on and the rest are up to you. What is your windows O/S power options set at? With the correct settings your rig should be running rings around Arkham City. Do you disable your antivirus/malware monitoring during gaming? Is windows update disabled?

I just tried it and it's still the same. Is Windows O/S, power plan? I had it on balance and then i tried it on High Performance. Still the same. Yes i have an antivirus monitoring during gaming. And i have Windows to update automatically when a new update comes out.
    I did a Heaven Benchmark. (I did try to leave a link but it's not appearing) I hope it will be atleast a slight help for you. Here is the score: 

post edited by Rengifooo - 2017/08/22 07:26:17
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/22 07:55:46 (permalink)
    What was your gpu usage while running the higher resolution? Your heaven score is right where its suppose to be.
    Rengifooo
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/22 11:31:57 (permalink)
    Sajin
    What was your gpu usage while running the higher resolution? Your heaven score is right where its suppose to be.

Well i have done an in-game benchmark again with the settings you and wmmills told me to set and i get 30-40% GPU usage.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/22 11:36:39 (permalink)
    Rengifooo
    Sajin

Well i have done an in-game benchmark again with the settings you and wmmills told me to set and i get 30-40% GPU usage.

Looks like you forgot to change the resolution. After enabling 4x dsr you need to select/apply the higher resolution inside the game.
    Rengifooo
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/22 23:21:36 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Rengifooo
    Sajin

Looks like you forgot to change the resolution. After enabling 4x dsr you need to select/apply the higher resolution inside the game.

For some reason which i don't know, i cannot go past 1920 x 1080. If i remember correctly i think after 1920 x 1080 i could set it to 4k but i can't. Unfortunately i can't test it the way you have asked me Sajin..
    ILikeBeans
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3429
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/23 16:25:02 (permalink)
    Rengifooo
    Sajin
    Rengifooo
    Sajin

For some reason which i don't know, i cannot go past 1920 x 1080. If i remember correctly i think after 1920 x 1080 i could set it to 4k but i can't. Unfortunately i can't test it the way you have asked me Sajin..

That's probably the reason for your low GPU usage then. That resolution is pretty much ho hum for your GPU.

W7 Pro 64, MSI X99A Godlike , I7-6850K, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz 32GB, Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 and 850 EVO 1TB SATA, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Corsair AX1200W, Acer Predator X34 and Oculus.
    Rengifooo
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/23 22:54:14 (permalink)
    ILikeBeans
    Rengifooo
    Sajin
    Rengifooo
    Sajin

That's probably the reason for your low GPU usage then. That resolution is pretty much ho hum for your GPU.

That's so weird. Why is it acting like that? Is there any way to resolve this situation? I'm having such a hard time figuring out what is going on. On Heaven's Benchmark i saw my GPU usage go 98-99% 80c. Why is it acting up like that when i'm trying to play a game?
    ILikeBeans
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/24 12:22:04 (permalink)
    I'm not that familiar with the Batman series but I did play one a couple of years ago. I don't even remember which one it was, but I do remember that it wasn't optimized very well and would lag at times. This might be part of the game issue.

As far as your GPU issue, that can be normal depending on how the application or game was designed to off lode the tasks, GPU vs. CPU. Your GPU only works as hard as it has to or is told to by the game. Heaven is designed to stress your GPU and that's why the the usage goes up. A higher resolution will automatically cause GPU usage to go up as it's much more demanding, and sometimes with higher end GPU's you won't see much advantage in games until you do use them with a higher resolution, that's when they will really shine.

IDK much about the game, like if it's a bad console port or what, but that may be the issue for you.

W7 Pro 64, MSI X99A Godlike , I7-6850K, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz 32GB, Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 and 850 EVO 1TB SATA, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Corsair AX1200W, Acer Predator X34 and Oculus.
    biscuit1
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1470
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/24 20:17:45 (permalink)
    Are you running the game in DX9 or DX11 ? 11 will put more load on the card . I have a retail copy & steam version . On this rig here I set it to single gpu & use the other 980ti to handle the PhysX . Arkham asylum , City & Origins were designed to use a separate card for PhysX . Digital Foundry did a test on the games also & saw performance drops with PhysX . They said they were going to retest them again with a second card , but I neversaw it go up on YouTube .  You would think your card should handle everything with ease , but the game says otherwise .

WHAT THE WIFE DON'T KNOW WON'T HURT YOU!
    Main rig - i7 7820X  , Corsair H110 cpu cooler , 32 gb Team G memory , Evga X299 Micro ATX 2  mobo , Corsair 850 psu , 2 evga 1080ti in SLI , Win 10 Pro 64 bit ,  43" TCL HDR 4K TV as monitor, Coolermaster HAF 32 case.
    Rengifooo
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/25 00:29:59 (permalink)
    ILikeBeans
    I'm not that familiar with the Batman series but I did play one a couple of years ago. I don't even remember which one it was, but I do remember that it wasn't optimized very well and would lag at times. This might be part of the game issue.

As far as your GPU issue, that can be normal depending on how the application or game was designed to off lode the tasks, GPU vs. CPU. Your GPU only works as hard as it has to or is told to by the game. Heaven is designed to stress your GPU and that's why the the usage goes up. A higher resolution will automatically cause GPU usage to go up as it's much more demanding, and sometimes with higher end GPU's you won't see much advantage in games until you do use them with a higher resolution, that's when they will really shine.

IDK much about the game, like if it's a bad console port or what, but that may be the issue for you.

Yeah i've heard that is not a good optimized game. But it keeps dropping as low as 30fps when i benchmark the game. I don't know if it's just the game or it's my GPU that has the problem.
    biscuit1
    Are you running the game in DX9 or DX11 ? 11 will put more load on the card . I have a retail copy & steam version . On this rig here I set it to single gpu & use the other 980ti to handle the PhysX . Arkham asylum , City & Origins were designed to use a separate card for PhysX . Digital Foundry did a test on the games also & saw performance drops with PhysX . They said they were going to retest them again with a second card , but I neversaw it go up on YouTube .  You would think your card should handle everything with ease , but the game says otherwise .

I ran both DX9 and DX11 with and without Physx. Obviously better without Physx but still the results are almost identical on DX9 and DX11. Drops that can go to 35-40 FPS. I don't know if my GPU has the problem or the game. When i play Overwatch on preset Epic without VSYNC i get consistent 69-70FPS. I don't know if that will help you guys in any way.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/25 05:49:06 (permalink)
    Rengifooo
    Sajin
    Rengifooo
    Sajin

Try setting the resolution manually inside the games config file. 
    Rengifooo
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/25 08:05:31 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Rengifooo
    Sajin
    Rengifooo
    Sajin

Try setting the resolution manually inside the games config file. 

I did set it but it doesn't lock it. At first it played on 1080p. The resolution was kinda different but not the same like it was when i accidentally set it few days ago.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/25 08:18:55 (permalink)
    Sounds like the game is just bugged. Might want to try some different graphics drivers to see if it makes a difference or not.
    Rengifooo
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/25 08:44:21 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Sounds like the game is just bugged. Might want to try some different graphics drivers to see if it makes a difference or not.

I'm going to update to the latest gpu driver that came out yesterday and let you know.
    Rengifooo
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/25 10:13:45 (permalink)
    Sajin

Pretty much still the same. Tiny improvements with the latest update. Used to get without VSYNC 65-70fps with lots of drops. With the latest 70-90 with lots of drops in the world. Tested it on Overwatch to see if it make any difference on that game and Overwatch it's consistent on 69-70fps like it used to be.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10336
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/25 11:13:45 (permalink)

ILikeBeans
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/25 14:36:34 (permalink)
    I was wondering if something was capping the fps. Nice find.

Rengifooo
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/26 00:02:35 (permalink)
    bdary
    Maybe you'll find some useful info here > https://steamcommunity.com/app/200260/discussions/0/828939978462744475/

I just tried it. Unfortunately it didn't work.. Still with the latest driver i still get 70-90fps and in the Arkham City world i go to constant 40-45fps.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/26 09:19:17 (permalink)
    It's been a few years since I've played AC so I'm downloading it now and will see how things work on my system...

Rengifooo
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/26 11:08:28 (permalink)
    bdary
    It's been a few years since I've played AC so I'm downloading it now and will see how things work on my system...

Ah alright, i'll be waiting for your update bdary. It may help us understand more on what's going on.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/26 15:22:28 (permalink)
    Rengifooo
    bdary

Ah alright, i'll be waiting for your update bdary. It may help us understand more on what's going on.

I guess I won't be much more help.  I haven't been able to get it to run on Win10.  It crashes right after the first couple splash screens where you click to enter the game.  I installed the game twice.  Tried to run in compatibility mode of Win7 & 8 and as administrator.  With/without PXOC running.  The error message I get shows several missing files for whatever reason even though I installed it two times & also verified game files a couple times.

Sorry about that, but I'm giving up on it, at least for now...

boylerya
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1910
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/26 21:13:47 (permalink)
    Fps cap should fix it, i believe if u have tesselation maxed, any object that uses that feature that enters the camera view will cause your fps to drop from the processing of the tesselation.

United We Stand...Six Feet Apart.
    Beware Vitamin A Palmitate found in products such as 2%, 1% or Skim Milk: government research
    Garlic is the Antichrist.
    Rengifooo
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/27 04:12:16 (permalink)
    bdary
    Rengifooo
    bdary

I guess I won't be much more help.  I haven't been able to get it to run on Win10.  It crashes right after the first couple splash screens where you click to enter the game.  I installed the game twice.  Tried to run in compatibility mode of Win7 & 8 and as administrator.  With/without PXOC running.  The error message I get shows several missing files for whatever reason even though I installed it two times & also verified game files a couple times.

Sorry about that, but I'm giving up on it, at least for now...

Ah that is unfortunate. Don't worry about it.
    boylerya
    Fps cap should fix it, i believe if u have tesselation maxed, any object that uses that feature that enters the camera view will cause your fps to drop from the processing of the tesselation.

Vsync on and off isn't showing me any difference. It's just it will drop either way at 35-45fps.
    ILikeBeans
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Experiencing framerate drops in Arkham City on a high end machine. 2017/08/27 13:21:17 (permalink)
    It's been a while, but if I remember correctly turning and looking in a certain direction from random places on the map would cause large frame drops.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile