EVGA

Evga's step-up program is a step down program now... what gives

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
timetakill
  • Total Posts : 88
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:Evga's step-up program is a step down program now... what gives 2009/12/30 11:10:41 (permalink)
I got shafted on my step up too.. Wanted to get a 295 but they had no stock.

-Corsair HX1000 
-Asus Sabertooth Z77  
-Intel 3770K @ 4.2
-12 gigs DDR3 
-EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0  
 -Win 8.1 64  
-2x WD 640 Black RAID 0 / Samsung 256 GB SSD

timetakill
  • Total Posts : 88
Re:Evga's step-up program is a step down program now... what gives 2009/12/30 11:35:51 (permalink)
firstace
However EVGA can take supply/demand into consideration vis a' vis its "Step-Up" program and allow customers who want to "step-up" an extension of time until your stock meets the demand.  That would be customer service IMHO. 

Amen.
They simply told me I'm SOL. Thanks for buying our 460 dollar video card :) *kick to the ass*

-Corsair HX1000 
-Asus Sabertooth Z77  
-Intel 3770K @ 4.2
-12 gigs DDR3 
-EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0  
 -Win 8.1 64  
-2x WD 640 Black RAID 0 / Samsung 256 GB SSD

Hog54
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3695
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:Evga's step-up program is a step down program now... what gives 2009/12/30 12:00:26 (permalink)
DeRico

BFG's warranty sucks though, you cant OC your card without killin the warranty.

How would they know?

AMD PhenomII 1090T@ 3.6
Corsair H50 cooler
Asus M3N72-D board 
Evga GTX460 SC 1GB   
4 gb G-skill PC8500 @1066
G-skill Sniper 120 GIG SSD
Corsair HX650
Windows7 Ultimate 64bit\    

Moltenlava
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6302
  • Ribbons : 28
Re:Evga's step-up program is a step down program now... what gives 2009/12/30 13:27:26 (permalink)
trs32505

Reason no doubt is becaus you can not step up into the same chip/gpu. The COOP 275 is still a 275 and the 295 COOP is 2x275 chips on one card. So really only other way to go is to either go down to 260 or up to 285 if offered. Course they may have another reason but that's the only one I can come up with.

Thats not entirely accurate

The only part of the terms and conditions that vaguely resembles what you stated is to do with motherboards and the rule is you can only Step Up to motherboards of the same socket type.

As rjohnson11 stated, the reason you can not step up to the GTX 275 CO-OP is because of it was never added to the Step Up TO list.  Its not what EVGA consider a EGS card, EVGA Genuine Spec also referred to as a Reference Design.

Again as RJ stated, the reason he cant Step up to the GTX 295 CO-OP is probably because its been removed due to them being of very very limited stock/quantities at the moment. How long that will last only EVGA knows but i doubt it will get any better to be honest, possibly once Fermi based GeForce cards are released and the demand drops for the GTX 295 CO-OP it may be added but it will still likely be in limited quantities.

Basically the OP is stepping up at a bad time, stock of cards are low and the newer models based of fermi are nowhere in sight. I guess you could blame Nvidia :D.

Step Up is not a right, its a perk, people seem to forget that.  Basically its a safeguard against you buying something that you think is the best for your money or the top of the range but then a month later something new comes out.  Some people seem to treat Step Up as some sort of "part payment scheme" their entitled to, they cant afford the card they want so they buy a lower specced card to keep them going, they eventually get the extra money and now want to swop that card plus money for the card they really want.

I wouldnt be surprised if EVGA just shut down Step Up for it being too much hassle due to people not under standing its purpose and its terms/conditions, then we all will really lose out.
post edited by Moltenlava - 2009/12/30 13:41:13
Moltenlava
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6302
  • Ribbons : 28
Re:Evga's step-up program is a step down program now... what gives 2009/12/30 13:51:39 (permalink)
firstace

Dear rjohnson11,

I'll respond to your post on a paragraph by paragraph basis. 

1.  I'm glad you've had a steady job with EVGA and don't blame you for defending your company.  I have no reason to doubt your claim that EVGA invented the "Step-Up" program.  That would be commendable if EVGA backed it up with deeds.  I can read the fine print as well as any lawyer and do not doubt that EVGA is within its legal right to retract all products from their "Step-Up" program based on "availability".  Mine was not a legal objection to the implementation of the EVGA "Step-Up" program.  My objection is to the manner in which the carrot was offered to customers and then withdrawn.  I not only read the box, but called EVGA customer support prior to purchase and was assured that I could upgrade to a specific graphics card within 90 days of purchase.  This would suggest that EVGA customer support might need some additional training to emphasize the fine print in the implementation of your industry leading "Step-Up" program.

2.  Yep, I'm a nooby to EVGA.  I never claimed otherwise.  My opinion of EVGA is based on my first interaction with your company.  Forgive me, I didn't know it was a prerequisite to have a certain number of posts on this forum before I expressed my observation of the "Step-up" program.  I don't claim to know about the "work ethic" of your company other than what I've read here in the forum and my personal experience so far with EVGA.  However, it would seem that several forum members are not as enthusiastic about the EVGA "Step-Up" program as you are.  Contrary to your opinion, I have had experience with many companies that seem to take their customer's concerns more sincerely than my experience with EVGA to date.  This "read the fine print" defense is not at all comforting.

3.  I'm afraid I'm just not that into OC or pumping water up my graphics cards.  I'd rather see EVGA try to satisfy its mainstream customers by living up to advertised offers than brag about warranting products abused by cutting edge graphics card sadists.

4.  I will take your word that "EVGA is working hard to try and make sure stepup stock is available" and that "EVGA can not control all aspects of the supply chain".  However EVGA can take supply/demand into consideration vis a' vis its "Step-Up" program and allow customers who want to "step-up" an extension of time until your stock meets the demand.  That would be customer service IMHO. 

Thats not going to work, if the extended it definitely to 120 days (and they cant really do it on a case to case basis, if they do it for one they really would need to do it for all, not just those who make a noise in the forums) then eventually people would just get used to Step Up having a 120 day window, then eventually you would again have people complaining they missed out (we all know thats exactly what would happen, the 30 additional bonus would soon be seen as a "right" just like people seem to think now that Step Up is a right and the card they want should be there within their Step Up period) so what do EVGA do then, extend it again? how long is long enough? should they just allow an indefinite Step Up window?

EVGA usually have a large quantity of cards when the series is first released and usually all those who want to Step Up can, this is when the Step Up program is most important, the old series just went EOL and the new generation cards have been released.  Offering Step Up when the cards you can step up to were available when you bought the lower end card is not as important (this is usually when they cards have been available for a while and are nearing end of life) as the Step Up Program is not supposed to be a "Part Payment Scheme".  Its supposed to be a safeguard from a person buying a card and a month or so later the new generation is released that makes their recent purchase "obsolete", thats what the Step Up Program is about and thats when it should be most important EVGA has stock, which they usually do.

If EVGA stop having stock for Step Up when the new generation cards are released like they always have in the past then i would start to agree that the Step Up Program would have lost legitimacy and could be considered a bit of a con even though its still running within its terms and conditions.  Lets just hope TSMC can gets its act together and get 40nm yeilds where they need to be (last i heard they are still around 50% which is really not good enough, especially when you consider how long they have been manufacturing these wafers now).  We also need Nvidia to have its act together also and make sure the Fermi launch goes smoothly.  Then EVGA may have a chance to fulfil its end of the bargain without hurting its retail sales, which is basically needs to keep going which i am sure we can all understand, they are not a charity, even though i have seem them do many charitable acts, things that you would never see any other manufacturer/vendor doing (bending over backwards for its customers, obviously EVGA needs to drawn the line somewhere though and you can please some of the people some of the time you cant please all the people all the time, as the saying goes),
post edited by Moltenlava - 2009/12/30 13:58:40
General Iroh
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2866
  • Ribbons : 9
Re:Evga's step-up program is a step down program now... what gives 2009/12/30 14:13:21 (permalink)
I just hope that threads like this doesn't cause Evga to retract step-up completely.

But in response to firstace stating that evga should offer an extension, then where does the exception stop? You offer customer "A" an extra 10 days, then customer "b" will complain that they didnt get 10 extra days and then they will a poop storm on their hands. What if you want to step up a 275 to a 295 and the 295 never comes into stock again, what then? Evga has set it at 90 days firm for a reason. If you don't like it, tough luck. Step up is a gamble, if you lose don't cry into the milk. 

Affiliate Code:SGLRO0IH9E

Hog54
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3695
Re:Evga's step-up program is a step down program now... what gives 2009/12/30 14:26:38 (permalink)
Bottom line is, I can almost guarantee you wont get a 300s card 3 months from now if you buy a card today,if you cant even get a 295.

AMD PhenomII 1090T@ 3.6
Corsair H50 cooler
Asus M3N72-D board 
Evga GTX460 SC 1GB   
4 gb G-skill PC8500 @1066
G-skill Sniper 120 GIG SSD
Corsair HX650
Windows7 Ultimate 64bit\    

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re:Evga's step-up program is a step down program now... what gives 2009/12/30 14:42:32 (permalink)
firstace

"Step-Up" is more of a marketing tool (or scheme, if you like) than a right or a perk.  Basically EVGA wants you to buy one of their GCs even if it is not top of the line, while dangling a carrot before you that you will be able to upgrade to a better product when it becomes available or if you change your mind.  When I purchased mine, I contacted EVGA CS and doublechecked how the program worked and that the GTX 295 was available for "Step-Up".  I purchased my GC, checked the website within a week, and everthing above a 260 was gone. 

Nothing in their fine print on the EVGA website explaining the program limits it to the the definition as a "safeguard" as you have defined it Moltenlava.  You're entlitled to your opinion about the purpose of the program as am I.

Maybe EVGA should terminate the program if it can't meet the reasonable expectations of its customers.  Machts nichts zu mir Herr Uberelitemeister.

If you're going to complain, at least be honest in your complaints.

EVGA Step-up Program and limitations.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

lehpron
Regular Guy
  • Total Posts : 16254
  • Ribbons : 191
Re:Evga's step-up program is a step down program now... what gives 2009/12/30 14:45:14 (permalink)
Step-up isn't a gaurantee or promise, it is an option, a choice when available.  Treat it that way.  If you made a purchase towards a future Step-up or expected there to be an option without considering the nature of how the options are available, that was your gamble.  Don't get upset, I'm just saying it like it is.

lifesajrny
I'm still crossing my toes that the 300 series will come out before my 275 step up goes down the tube.
If you want the next card that badly, then a Step-up doesn't matter anymore, there are many who will do that anyway.  It is not like your 275 isn't worth it if you can't Step-up to something else, otherwise why did you get it in the first place?

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102227
  • Ribbons : 84
Re:Evga's step-up program is a step down program now... what gives 2009/12/31 00:26:21 (permalink)
Firstace:

Dear rjohnson11,

I'll respond to your post on a paragraph by paragraph basis. 

1.  I'm glad you've had a steady job with EVGA and don't blame you for defending your company.  I have no reason to doubt your claim that EVGA invented the "Step-Up" program.  That would be commendable if EVGA backed it up with deeds.  I can read the fine print as well as any lawyer and do not doubt that EVGA is within its legal right to retract all products from their "Step-Up" program based on "availability".  Mine was not a legal objection to the implementation of the EVGA "Step-Up" program.  My objection is to the manner in which the carrot was offered to customers and then withdrawn.  I not only read the box, but called EVGA customer support prior to purchase and was assured that I could upgrade to a specific graphics card within 90 days of purchase.  This would suggest that EVGA customer support might need some additional training to emphasize the fine print in the implementation of your industry leading "Step-Up" program.

2.  Yep, I'm a nooby to EVGA.  I never claimed otherwise.  My opinion of EVGA is based on my first interaction with your company.  Forgive me, I didn't know it was a prerequisite to have a certain number of posts on this forum before I expressed my observation of the "Step-up" program.  I don't claim to know about the "work ethic" of your company other than what I've read here in the forum and my personal experience so far with EVGA.  However, it would seem that several forum members are not as enthusiastic about the EVGA "Step-Up" program as you are.  Contrary to your opinion, I have had experience with many companies that seem to take their customer's concerns more sincerely than my experience with EVGA to date.  This "read the fine print" defense is not at all comforting.

3.  I'm afraid I'm just not that into OC or pumping water up my graphics cards.  I'd rather see EVGA try to satisfy its mainstream customers by living up to advertised offers than brag about warranting products abused by cutting edge graphics card sadists.

4.  I will take your word that "EVGA is working hard to try and make sure stepup stock is available" and that "EVGA can not control all aspects of the supply chain".  However EVGA can take supply/demand into consideration vis a' vis its "Step-Up" program and allow customers who want to "step-up" an extension of time until your stock meets the demand.  That would be customer service IMHO. 

1. I am not employed by EVGA. Many EVGA moderators are volunteers who are unpaid and moderate the forum during their free time. You have read only a small fraction of those who are not happy with the stepup program compared to hundreds who are very happy and satisfied. Those who are happy with the program generally do not post as opposed to those who are unhappy.

2. I'm sorry but you have no facts to back this up. EVGA gives the best customer service for their products in the USA. EVGA has on some occasions altered the stepup program based on customer feedback.

3. Many of EVGA's customers are strong overclockers and we support them just as much as we support the mid-range customer

4. EVGA has conditions in the stepup program which state that stepups may not be available for several reasons. However, if someone makes a stepup to a video card which is out of stock they remain on the stepup waiting list for as long as necessary until stock arrives to meet the stepup

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

SocioPC
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 421
Re:Evga's step-up program is a step down program now... what gives 2009/12/31 03:05:11 (permalink)
I stepped up 2 x 8800 GTS g92's for 2 x 9800 GX2's.
I stepped up a 780i motherboard to a 790i.
I stepped up 3 x GTX 285's to 3 x GTX 295's.
I stepped up a X58 motherboard to a Classified.
I RMA'd a 7900GT and received back an 8800GTS 640mb card.

EVGA how dare you give me such wonderful service!

There isn't a guarantee, there can't be. EVGA isn't NVidia they don't control production of reference boards and they simply can't make a product appear out of no where. It's no different than not having specialty products on the step-up list. There isn't enough of them to offer, they aren't on the step-up list or have to be removed when supply doesn't meet demand straight from the NVidia factories.
richramirez
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:Evga's step-up program is a step down program now... what gives 2021/06/02 21:48:28 (permalink)
12 yrs later andI still enjoy this thread :) Raise "form" the dead!> yesterday I actually got a Brand new in box EVGA 285 GTX wonder if I could step that up to a 3090?
post edited by richramirez - 2021/06/02 21:53:39
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile