EVGA

Evga Z270ftw k PWM pump control

Author
fbmowner
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/11/04 14:04:22 (permalink)
So I have an ekwb d5 pump/res combo unit I use in my custom loop. Since day 1 of using this motherboard I have noticed that I do not have proper control of the pump speed via the bios when setting the header I am using for the pump to PWM in the bios. These pumps are designed to operate at 100% when no pwm signal is present (pump gets power from psu and pwn signal from motherboard, 2 separate plugs). When the pump is at 100% its very noticeable, you can feel it vibrating the desk. It seems if I set the sys2_fan header to PWM (which is the header I have the pump plugged into) i get crazy RPM readings in the bios and the pump does not change speeds no matter what I set the percentage to.. for example if I set the speed to 100% and I then unplug that pwm cable, you can hear the pump truly ramp up to 100%. The pump seems to be running at 50% at best, I cant even hear it running but if I touch it I feel the vibrations of the pump so I at least know that its on.It seems that I do not have any serious temp issues due to flow rate of my coolant but seeing as how I have 2 360 radiators and both the gpu and cpu liquid cooled, there is a quite a bit of restriction in my loop so I would love to be able to up the pump speed to around 70% but it seems I cant do that.. I had this same pump on another motherboard previously with a designated "pump" pwm header and I had complete control so I know its not an issue with the pump. Any idea ? =(

Also if I set the header to DC, the pump just runs at 100% no matter the setting I choose. 
post edited by fbmowner - 2017/11/04 15:13:06

6 Replies Related Threads

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Evga Z270ftw k PWM pump control 2017/11/04 15:21:01 (permalink)
    the only true pwm headers on your board are cpu_1 and cpu_2, these two will have their own step control ( it is not a curve but it steps from on speed to the next) the rest of the headers are DC/PWM which will follow either a static speed or the curve from the two PWM controlled headers (cpu_1 and CPU_2) the manual makes it seem that you can set a custom curve for the DC/PWM headers but you cant, i spent hours trying to no avail and finally TS told me what im telling you. i imagine you are using the cpu headers for your rad fans (which you can set a real curve using speedfan like i did) so for your pump you are stuck with a static speed or it will follow your cpu header. kinda stinks and has been a gripe of mine for quite sometime that evga needs better user control for this. you could do what i did and use corsair link with a mini commander or commander pro which gives you 6 full pwm controllable headers and then you can set either a curve or static speed and get monitoring with alarms if the pump stops.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    fbmowner
    Re: Evga Z270ftw k PWM pump control 2017/11/04 15:24:19 (permalink)
    quadlatte
    the only true pwm headers on your board are cpu_1 and cpu_2, these two will have their own step control ( it is not a curve but it steps from on speed to the next) the rest of the headers are DC/PWM which will follow either a static speed or the curve from the two PWM controlled headers (cpu_1 and CPU_2) the manual makes it seem that you can set a custom curve for the DC/PWM headers but you cant, i spent hours trying to no avail and finally TS told me what im telling you. i imagine you are using the cpu headers for your rad fans (which you can set a real curve using speedfan like i did) so for your pump you are stuck with a static speed or it will follow your cpu header. kinda stinks and has been a gripe of mine for quite sometime that evga needs better user control for this. you could do what i did and use corsair link with a mini commander or commander pro which gives you 6 full pwm controllable headers and then you can set either a curve or static speed and get monitoring with alarms if the pump stops.

This is what I needed to know. Thank you tons for this info.
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Evga Z270ftw k PWM pump control 2017/11/04 15:40:01 (permalink)
    fbmowner
    quadlatte

no problem. one thing you could try is putting the pump on CPU_2 and what you have on cpu_2 on one of the other headers that follow CPU_1, then all those fans will run at the same steps you set for CPU_1, you may have to test each header to see which one works best. 

fbmowner
    Re: Evga Z270ftw k PWM pump control 2017/11/07 17:10:54 (permalink)
    quadlatte
    fbmowner
    quadlatte

no problem. one thing you could try is putting the pump on CPU_2 and what you have on cpu_2 on one of the other headers that follow CPU_1, then all those fans will run at the same steps you set for CPU_1, you may have to test each header to see which one works best. 

So I did this and it seems the PWM signal from my corsair commander pro isn't working properly with the pump either. If I plug the pumps pwm into the commander and set that pwm to 100% via corsair link I hear the pump ramp up, but IF i unplug the PWM cable from the pump you hear the pump ramp up even farther to true 100% speed =(, I dont know what else to do hear.. (same thing if I plug the pumps PWM into the CPU fan header.)
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Evga Z270ftw k PWM pump control 2017/11/11 17:52:46 (permalink)
    fbmowner
    quadlatte
    fbmowner
    quadlatte

So I did this and it seems the PWM signal from my corsair commander pro isn't working properly with the pump either. If I plug the pumps pwm into the commander and set that pwm to 100% via corsair link I hear the pump ramp up, but IF i unplug the PWM cable from the pump you hear the pump ramp up even farther to true 100% speed =(, I dont know what else to do hear.. (same thing if I plug the pumps PWM into the CPU fan header.)

strange, i use the swiftech d5 and it runs just fine, they should both be the same pump as they buy them from the same place and slap a sticker on it. what is the max rpm you get from the commander or MB header?

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Evga Z270ftw k PWM pump control 2017/11/25 13:10:15 (permalink)
    wanted to add also, check your PWM cable, mine had some loose pins in it, they just did not make good contact and would randomly act up, i took them out and bent them out some so now they hold tight and work fine.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile