Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Brokenhope
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/10/20 03:31:51 (permalink)
My computer is solid. Runs weeks to months no power down, not a single crash of any kind in a year since it was working. Oh and to mention I game on my computer daily up to 12 hrs a day, 6 minimum, and have long sessions. No issues and never shut it down.
Ryzen 2600x
750w PSU
Asrock Taichi x470 mobo
16 GB Dominator RAM
Very good case airflow

I upgraded to a RTX 2070 from newegg almost 40 days ago. It ran perfectly the up til 2 days ago. (Minus subpar 120fps high settings in Apex the entire time, I thought it could do better.) Suddenly 2 days ago it shut off while gaming apex. Computer and music running but monitors off. It has happened over 6 times since then in just a few days and like I said suddenly happened out of nowhere 2 days ago. Nothing at all has changed and the only game I played is Apex. Not to mention around the same time I started getting solid 120fps versus subpar 120fps.

My temperatures never go above 72 when monitoring, but basically what happens, and ive been watching them carefully lately, is within seconds to maybe minutes the card gets too hot and shuts off, after 2-3 hrs of solid gameplay, same game, all of a sudden fans ramp up and I immediately lose video output. I have never observed the temperatures above 82, or even close to 90...

Its frequented since 2 days ago, it was perfectly fine up til then. Oh and I updated drivers today as well, didnt help at all, it happened again.

So RMA it?

I dont have a spare computer to test, so I cant tell if it will do the same thing. As far as I can tell this happens only when gaming (tho did happen going back to desktop between matches when it usually cools 10c in a few sec)... it ran beautifully minus sub par fps up to 2 days ago with nothing changing out of the blue this happened.

Oh and im very careful with pc parts, this was very expensive and i dont have a lot of money. I wore esd bracelet, worked on it on tile floor, never touched contacts and was extremely careful inserting it.
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2019/10/20 06:18:25

34 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/20 03:55:47 (permalink)
    It could be a number of things.  The two things I would focus on is thermals and or updates that might have made it unstable.  Could be an auto update from Windows or a GPU driver prior if you ever have done one.  You could try using a previous back up date before all of this was happening and also check to see your windows update history to see if anything was forced updated to your system.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/20 04:09:11 (permalink)
    I would grab HWiNFO and run it in the background while you're gaming/benchmarking/stress testing for a little while (before it shuts off), then check that the min/max PSU voltages remain within specs.

Also check it in the BIOS and while idle on the Desktop for proper voltage and fluctuation.

See: How can I check my power supply's 12v rail voltage in my motherboard's BIOS? in the EVGA FAQs for more information and voltage specs.

Other than that, yep, sounds like RMA time.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Brokenhope
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/20 04:38:15 (permalink)
    I will try the suggestions.

Also I looked in settings at recent windows update, which were installed 6 days ago or so but mostly microsoft.net stuff or whatever, there was a single amd update thats the closest to anything important, other than that nothing. My computer was perfectly fine for the next 4 days heavy constant gaming usage.

I also have msi afterburner constantly running while gaming. I constantly watch the temp especially since this happened, and in a short moment it goes from stable temp to monitor shutting off at the same time fans go 100%.  I have never witnessed the temp say above 70c or so with the current fan curve, while watching temp constantly and while game, it happens so fast every time and out of nowhere. Fan goes to 100% and I lose video.
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/20 04:57:36 (permalink)
    I would make sure your Nvidia drivers are up to date and unplug your monitor cable and plug back in or even try a different cable

tattude69
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 465
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/20 05:29:37 (permalink)
    what your describing sounds like your gpu driver crashing. when it happens try to restart your graphics driver just press Win+Ctrl+Shift+B: the screen flickers, there's a beep, and everything is back to normal immediately. if that works use DDU in safe mode and do clean install of driver

Brokenhope
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/20 21:18:33 (permalink)
    My computer was all day fine gaming, 4+ hrs, came home, played far cry 4, it was doing fine, 2hrs in same thing happened. Never saw high temps. Pressed the key combo you suggested and couldnt even get a beep, yet music and game audio played fine.

I also tried the same key combo earlier when you first suggested to make sure it worked and it did, I got a beep, blank monitors for a sec and it was back. Also reconfirmed after reboot. I wrote it down. For some reason after the problem occurs it doesnt work.

Fans go to 100% spontaneously, I lose video out, and this key combo 100% is also non functioning, not even a beep, tried more than several times, yet music still plays fine.

Also as I noted, since ive had this card, apex legends the game I play constantly, out of nowhere I started getting solid 120fps for some reason, when I used to get 100 avg. So im 20fps over what I used to get before this problem happened... so for some reason the card keeps going bonkers out of nowhere and is also performing better than it did for the first month (which I would think a 2070 super should be able to get a solid 120fps in the first place in apex all highest settings).

If windows update played any factor in this, which an amd update was the closest to anything included, it was fine 6-12hrs a day gaming in apex for 4 days before this happened.

So RMA the card? I contacted newegg which confirmed I have a 3 year manufacturer warranty.
    post edited by Brokenhope - 2019/10/20 21:43:34
    Brokenhope
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/20 23:00:01 (permalink)
    And it happened again, I can now pretty much confirm, the fan sound goes from normal to loud (100% speed) at the same time monitors go off, no reason whatsoever. I will be contacting evga for an rma, this is stupid, pay $550 for a graphics card and have to restart your computer (and lose game progress/ lose matches) several times a day.

Edit: happened a few more times. Im done, should have got a gtx 1080, might just sell the card after  I get a replacement, will not recommend a rtx to anyone, ever.
    Normal useage it never happens, I sent in a RMA request, its ridiculous trying to game. For some reason spontaneously in 2 games, no pattern could be first 15 sec or 4 hrs in, out of nowhere this started happening a few days ago after over 30 days rock solid, also now better framerates. Temps fine too.
    post edited by Brokenhope - 2019/10/21 05:24:06
    timbalistea
    • Total Posts : 62
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/21 09:08:36 (permalink)
    When I had the 2070 (recently stepped up to the 2070 super) occasionally after I woke up the computer from sleep it would do the same thing. Fans would crank to 100% and the display would black out and I'd have to restart. Would only happen after waking up from sleeping and happened maybe once every two weeks so it didn't really bother me. Never tried trouble shooting anything.

Hasn't happened so far with the super, but we'll see if it pops up again.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/21 09:28:06 (permalink)
    What was your Previous GPU card ?

How did you remove those drivers ?

What settings have you changed in Afterburner ?

What Monitor & cable type are you using ?

What setting have You changed in Nvidia Control Panel ?

Is your system OC ?   Remove all OC & test GPU ... especially if Front side bus was OCed (some MB do this)

Remove XMP RAM setting & set RAM manually to Mfg specs - Volts & timing\

Run DDU & reinstall Nvidia Drivers

Run GPU-Z and log the Sensors Tab ---> pay attention to PerfCap Reason, temps, watts

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

castrator86
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 816
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/21 10:33:58 (permalink)
    To me this almost sounds like it might be a power issue. What brand & rating is your PSU?

You're using 2 separate cables to power the card, not a 1 to 2 adapter, right?
    Are you using cables that came with the PSU or are you mixing/matching from another?

Brokenhope
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/21 18:58:19 (permalink)
    Previous gpu was gtx 1060 6gb. Drivers automatically uninstalled when I put in the new card as far as im aware.

The only setting changed in afterburner was the fan curve that I changed after this started happening.

Monitors are a generic dell hdmi, and a hp omen 24.5in set as 120hz with display port.

No OC at all, I dont think XMP is on either.

My PSU is Evga 750w and yeah im using two separate powers.

The card was fine for a month then this started happening multiple times a day, my useage hasnt changed, not even the game ive played changed. Out of no where fans rev to 100% and I lose video out. Still havent seen temps above very low 70s.
    Brokenhope
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/22 02:29:39 (permalink)
    I used ddu with wifi off to remove all drivers, I have little hope though. Reinstalled the current released drivers again as well.

This issue occured again right after exiting apex, usually when the card quickly cools by 10c in sec. Within just a few sec, fans revved to 100% and lost output.
    castrator86
    SSC Member
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/22 06:10:17 (permalink)
    It sounds like it may be a faulty temperature sensor that kicks your card's cooling to max and cuts power for a blip, then comes back to normal and tries to carry on.

I found some weird things go on with my 1070 if I used the HDMI port along with any of the others; test with the one monitor via DP to see if it still happens?
    post edited by castrator86 - 2019/10/22 06:14:31

_JoseR
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 826
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/22 06:40:50 (permalink)
    Hi Brokenhope (sick band btw) 

Did you get a chance to check your PSU voltages in BIOS as suggested earlier by bob16314?

Although not a fix but a test, you can downclock the card using Precision X1 to see if it will eliminate the issue or at least give you longer play time before the screen blacks out. 

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/22 06:57:43 (permalink)
    Have you checked the Apex forums to see if there's an issue with the game or from an update?

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    tattude69
    iCX Member
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/22 08:00:38 (permalink)
    what version of gpu driver?
    Are you booting to safe mode when running DDU and reinstalling gpu driver?
    Is windows fastboot disabled?
    Do you have your power mode set to performance ?
    what exactly is your power supply brand and model?
    your gpu will always drop temperatures drastically when going from load to idle that is normal for all gpu's
    have you looked in windows event viewer to see what it recorded as cause of crash?
    what do you have running in background other then music?
    post edited by tattude69 - 2019/10/22 08:15:02

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/22 12:06:40 (permalink)
    This is most likely a power related issue. Best things to do would be to try using a different set of pci-e power cables to power the card, try moving the card to a different pci-e slot, and if those two things fail to correct the problem try using a different psu all together. If all three things fail to correct the problem then the card is faulty and will need to be rma'd.
    castrator86
    SSC Member
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/22 13:18:11 (permalink)
    Sajin
    This is most likely a power related issue. Best things to do would be to try using a different set of pci-e power cables to power the card, try moving the card to a different pci-e slot, and if those two things fail to correct the problem try using a different psu all together. If all three things fail to correct the problem then the card is faulty and will need to be rma'd.

Always cutting to the chase 

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/22 13:20:30 (permalink)

Brokenhope
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/22 19:42:53 (permalink)
    I dont think its power related this happened even when I was out of a game, very low useage.

I used ddu and removed all video drivers yesterday, reinstalled them, and today it happens again (and while playing my best highest dmg game of all and before a win) this is ridiculous.

I tried the restart video key combo again, nothing. Then I noticed my keyboard mute button is non-functioning when this happened, but lighting effects still work. I plugged in a regular usb keyboard and tried it, nothing, but I did hear a sound that the device connected to the computer.

Also it doesnt matter if im 4hrs in, it happened 5 sec in on a loading screen.

Havent checked voltages will do that later.

My computer was rock solid for an entire year, upgraded the card, it was all smooth for the first month, then out of no where, and its usually 1 to 2 times a day, maybe 3, so frequency of it is pretty consistent, hasnt gotten worse or better. Been almost a week now.
    Brokenhope
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/22 19:48:31 (permalink)
    I also really hate working on my computer so its not easy for me to test the psu, I dont think I can remove the current psu, I have to do it all on the floor and I have to carry my computer up and down stairs and its huge with not a lot of room, just to have to replace the psu back to my current one when it doesnt work. I dont have a test bench or any way I could do this outside my case because carpeted floors and no where to put it. I also really dont want to mess up my computer, its finally started working a year ago, not one problem since (bad cpu which lead to a nightmare of problems)

I can though put my gtx 1060 6gb back in and see what happens, I have a good feeling itd be fine.
    Brokenhope
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/22 23:41:10 (permalink)
    Ok I logged it, and the moment it shuts off it reports GPU temp 67C, the next second is 0C. It is going from stable temps then shutting off the log also says for every concurrent second logged that the fans are at the same speed they were before this happened (75%) which is not accurate since they are at 100% but would expect not to get a ready for that.

Checked bios
    12V: Solid 12.196V
    5V: Solid 4.968V
    3.3V: Solid 3.344V

From the gpu monitor
    VDDC Max: 1.05V
    Max Power Consumption 96.7% but usually well below, and 207.8W max, usually around 150-170W tho
    GPU Max Useage is 99% usually a bit lower

This happened twice today, about the avg, twice a day, been happening every day for almost a week out of nowhere. The first month I had the card I dont think I rebooted my pc once, it was just fine then this started and I reboot twice a day. My computer is solid not a single freeze, hiccup, or bsod in over a year.

Also input doesnt work when this happened, but I can control windows volume via my usb headphones, and the computer does recognize usb  devices.
    Brokenhope
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/23 01:44:13 (permalink)
    Alright, looked in event viewer, after it happened again, there are critical errors everytime it happens, one says something about power but noted it could be caused by not shutting down cleanly (because im rebooting).

It sounded like there was a popup this time, my keyboard worked and got the tone when you try to type but theres a popup, I hit enter, tried to reset drivers, didnt work.

Then noticed this: A problem has occurred with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated.  This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access the devices.

So looks like a windows problem possibly? given my keyboard and input devices dont seem to work, even plugging one in.

So guess first step is try fresh windows 10 install, very annoying going to have to have to reinstall a bunch of stuff and back it up, then reinstall drivers, and hopefully not break the computer.

As I said this started happening like 6 days after a windows update, it was fine those 6 days, then this happened, guess they were related if this fixes it. Oh, and its been taking 2+ minutes to boot compared to before it was almost instantly.
    tattude69
    iCX Member
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/23 15:44:11 (permalink)
    if you have a spare hard drive,install fresh copy of windows 10 on that for testing.
    or try rolling back to pre update. I still have my hard drive  with windows 7 for testing and the days windows 10 just piss me off. the problem with windows update is they really seem very inconsistent with their quality. i would use windows 7 all the time if more games were able to run DirectX12.

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/23 19:06:01 (permalink)
    You can Create A Partition on your drive if there's enough space on it, then install Win10 to that partition which will leave your original Win10 partition untouched..You will be dual-booting to either your original Win10 or the fresh install on the partition you created..You will be prompted as to which partition you want to boot from after your PC passes POST.

You may also be able to Uninstall Updates you think may be causing a problem, or use System Restore to go back to before suspect updates were installed.

But really, it sounds like your graphics card is failing.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

Brokenhope
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/23 21:38:32 (permalink)
    Yeah, thats what im now thinking.

I bumped the desk pretty decent yesterday, and it immediately happened, first time its happened that I wasnt gaming. Maybe somethings loose, Im gonna reseat the card and cables to its power tomorrow. Also gonna make a brace for the card so I know that its not loose there either. I tried to recreate the issue by kinda jolting my case lightly, couldnt do it, so maybe a coincidence.

I gamed on it for 3hrs or so earlier, it was just fine. Came home, computer still running fine, go into apex, within the first 5 minutes it happened. Rebooted, same thing, within about 5 minutes lost video output and fans revved up.

Web browsing so fars been fine, and when the computers idle its never happens (i keep my computer on 24/7), but now twice in a row first 5 minutes in apex it happens.

I may try the partion method, I should be able to make room, my only other option is a spare 5400rpm 4tb hdd.

Oh and this happened after I uninstalled the recent windows updates.
    post edited by Brokenhope - 2019/10/23 21:47:31
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/23 22:45:23 (permalink)
    Hopefully it's not the card, but, good luck.

And you can just simply delete the new partition in Disk Management when you're finished with it.

Brokenhope
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/24 00:45:33 (permalink)
    Updated windows and also unplugged second monitor that uses hdmi. Played for about 3hrs, took a break, and in less than 15 minutes it happened again.

Gonna reseat the power connections tomorrow and the card, also might install windows 10 on a partion on my ssd, but i dont think its gonna help.

I think there is for sure something wrong with the card, and its definitely worse than it has been, twice in a row as soon as I got on, then later on happened again.
    Brokenhope
    Re: Evga RTX 2070 Super Trouble, barely month old 2019/10/24 17:20:53 (permalink)
    Wow opened up the computer just now and noticed a huge problem that could have just solved this. One of the power cords wasnt plugged in all the way. I pushed it in, heard the click and hopefully its fixed.

I was under a stressful situation when I put the card in so I guess thats how I made the mistake -_-.

Thanks for the help
    post edited by Brokenhope - 2019/10/25 03:42:55
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile