Ethernet capped at 100Mbps - Z390 FTW

Author
D3lete
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/11/30 23:35:51 (permalink)
Hey everyone,

Everything has been working just fine and internet speeds have been working just fine (I have 1 Gbps fiber internet). I had installed a Netgear USB wireless adapter to test something. Once I got my machine hardwired back to ethernet, it now automatically sets it to cap at 100 mbps. I have done all sorts of testing (re-installed drivers from EVGA website, installed drivers directly from Intel, played with Flow Control and Speed & Duplex, and nothing works. When I tried to set it to 1 Gbps with full duplex in Speed & Duplex, it wouldn't find a connection no matter what I did until I set it back to Auto-Detect. I flashed the BIOS to the latest, made sure Windows was updated, and nothing worked. Completely wiped and installed Windows from scratch as a last ditch effort and it is still capped at 100Mbps.

Before anyone says that it is cabling, I unplugged the ethernet connection from my PC and plugged it into my laptop with the WiFi adapter disabled and speeds shot into the 800Mbps area with no problems at all. Plugged it back up into my PC and everything capped back to 100Mbps. Does anyone have any other ideas?? I'd really rather not RMA this but is that my only option at this point?

7 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Ethernet capped at 100Mbps - Z390 FTW 2019/12/01 07:35:01 (permalink)
    What have you tried with your Router ? (some do bandwidth control to devices)

What kind of router ?

What has been changed from default ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

D3lete
    Re: Ethernet capped at 100Mbps - Z390 FTW 2019/12/01 09:37:30 (permalink)
    I don't have any kind of QoS or traffic control going on with my router.
    I am using the Netgear Orbi RBK50 router+satellite in my home. I have checked my devices status on the web GUI and it is just showing as connected. I have tried plugging it in directly to the router and to the satellite. Both have the same exact result of only 100Mbps.
    The only thing that I have changed from default on the Orbi is of course the SSID and password. I have also updated the firmware in the past but no firmware update coincides with this incident. Again, I can plug another device into the same line and get my desired speeds so there is no port/cabling problem.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Ethernet capped at 100Mbps - Z390 FTW 2019/12/01 10:12:41 (permalink)
    Is Windows 10 Fast Startup OFF, [when upgrading drivers, firmware or hardware]

Windows Central - How to disable Windows 10 fast startup (and why you'd want to)

How-to Geek The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode

Latest Intel Chipset & Nic driver (This the one you tried ?)

Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10   
    This download is valid for the product(s) listed below.
         ---> Intel® Ethernet Connection I219-V

What Color are the NIC LEDs when MB is connected to you network ?

With Z390 connected, reboot router - worth a shot

Do you see any bent pins inside the NIC socket ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Ethernet capped at 100Mbps - Z390 FTW 2019/12/01 10:21:23 (permalink)

D3lete
    Re: Ethernet capped at 100Mbps - Z390 FTW 2019/12/01 11:05:37 (permalink)
    Windows 10 Fast Startup is OFF. Disabled fast bootup in BIOS as well.

Latest Intel chipset and NIC drivers are also installed and I downloaded exactly what you linked. 

LEDs are solid green with a blinking green activity light.

I have rebooted my router with my computer connected and disconnect with the same result. I have already checked the port and all pins look fine with no debris.

I have also gone through each of those forums and have ruled each one of those out. None of those are a fix for me.  
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Ethernet capped at 100Mbps - Z390 FTW 2019/12/01 11:37:55 (permalink)
    You looked at that Registry hack - last post - HELP!!! Lan gigabit alwasy detect 100mbps Solved - Windows 10

[I've Not Tested that specific - Reg Edit - so make a backup first, if you decide to try it]

green/green = 100 Mbps max

Speed indicator:
    • Amber on – Operating as a Gigabit connection (1000 Mbps).1
    • Green on – Operating as a 100-Mbps connection.
    • Off – Operating as a 10-Mbps connection.

Maybe another member has a solution

MhzManiac
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 772
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Ethernet capped at 100Mbps - Z390 FTW 2019/12/07 04:31:08 (permalink)
    Mine is setup properly and I can double check settings for you if something looks odd in your device manager. Here are a couple screenshots showing how it's currently running. I'm wondering if another hardware device is interfering?

Attached Image(s)

That is me in the picture, anyone else ever pet a live Lion?
    EVGA Z390 FTW (Bios 1.08)  i9-9900KF 8 core, 32G Corsair Vengeance LPX Dual Chl 3000 XMP-1 ,  
    Intel SSD6 M.2 2TB, Samsung 840 PRO 1TB / 512G SSD,   Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super , Win 11 Pro 64, EVGA Supernova 1300 watts, NZXT Phantom 820, Strix Raid DLX 7.1 surround, Corsair H100 Liquid , Dell S2417DG /S2409W / Acer XB241H Predator / Samsung C24F390 Curve/ Oculus Rift S VR
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile