EVGA

Epic would ‘hastily retreat’ from store exclusives if Steam matched its revenue split

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2019/04/25 10:00:44 (permalink)
https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/epic-would-hastily-retreat-from-store-exclusives-if-steam-matched-its-revenue-split/

Replying to questions on Twitter, Epic CEO, Tim Sweeney, said that he sees the 30% revenue cut on other stores as the “#1 problem for PC developers, publishers, and everyone who relies on those businesses for their livelihood”. When another user approached asking what Epic Games would do if Valve slashed its revenue cut, he replied: “If Steam committed to a permanent 88% revenue share for all developers and publishers without major strings attached, Epic would hastily organize a retreat from exclusives (while honoring our partner commitments) and consider putting our own games on Steam.”

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

11 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Epic would ‘hastily retreat’ from store exclusives if Steam matched its revenue split 2019/04/25 11:25:22 (permalink)
    It would be a pretty major change and I really don't see Steam going for it since they already are better then what a publisher would get from the likes of Target, Walmart, Gamestop or any other retail location.

I think that for Steam the best they could do is look to buy up studios that make the games people are interested or the rights to series that people like. Then they need to publish games again and I mean quality games like Half Life 3 and Portal 3. Look at how Netflix has kept members even with the likes of Hulu, HBO Go and Amazon. They really need quality exclusive games coming to the platform and exclusive rights to classic lines like Final Fantasy or Tomb Raider for example.

I also think that Steam needs to consider working with publishers to come up with a subscription service. I could see it being like 2-3 game downloads a month that are yours to keep for one year after download with a discount if you decide to buy the game or any DLC. That way it has almost like a paid demo aspect and depending on how DLC is spaced out you can try to use it to convert and sell the game and the DLC.
    post edited by Hoggle - 2019/04/25 11:36:09

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Epic would ‘hastily retreat’ from store exclusives if Steam matched its revenue split 2019/04/25 15:49:43 (permalink)
    It's all political games. Epic says do this or we'll do that. Epic doesn't get who sets the rules in the online sales marketplace.
    blackforce
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 883
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Epic would ‘hastily retreat’ from store exclusives if Steam matched its revenue split 2019/04/26 16:06:28 (permalink)
    Steam is full of steaming crap they promoted saying instead of buying cds you can download games really cheap thorough us, turned out a big steaming pile of you know what steam is really the worse of the worse. Fool suckers by selling the same ass weak games year round for cheap they could just really go away
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Epic would ‘hastily retreat’ from store exclusives if Steam matched its revenue split 2019/04/28 12:43:37 (permalink)
    Steam has gone downhill big time of late

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    NazcaC2
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 7420
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Epic would ‘hastily retreat’ from store exclusives if Steam matched its revenue split 2019/05/01 16:17:30 (permalink)
    And, Epic just bought Psyonix, the studio that made Rocket League.

https://www.polygon.com/2...-rocket-league-psyonix

Intel i9-12900K
    ASUS Prime Z690-A
    Corsair 850W RM850x
    Windows 11 Professional
    Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
    Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5 5200MHz
    EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
    4x Samsung 2TB 980 Pro SSD + 1x ADATA 512GB SU800
    Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB SIGNATURE SERIES Mid-Tower - Neon Night
    blackforce
    SSC Member
    Re: Epic would ‘hastily retreat’ from store exclusives if Steam matched its revenue split 2019/05/01 21:14:31 (permalink)
    Epic is Epic love them already
    NazcaC2
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 7420
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Epic would ‘hastily retreat’ from store exclusives if Steam matched its revenue split 2019/05/02 06:09:04 (permalink)
    They are doing great things. Exclusives are getting good numbers and the developers are getting fair payment. Cloud saves will be ready soon and then some.

Intel i9-12900K
    ASUS Prime Z690-A
    Corsair 850W RM850x
    Windows 11 Professional
    Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
    Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5 5200MHz
    EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
    4x Samsung 2TB 980 Pro SSD + 1x ADATA 512GB SU800
    Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB SIGNATURE SERIES Mid-Tower - Neon Night
    xTemon
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 376
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Epic would ‘hastily retreat’ from store exclusives if Steam matched its revenue split 2019/05/05 14:04:42 (permalink)
    Steam gets a lot of flack; particularly of late. I've seen comments about them ripping Developers off on the forums there recently, but in all honesty I find it pretty hard to agree, and I don't think a lot of these people really comprehend the service Steam offers.

A large community of gamers to market to.
    Digital distribution, including backend, servers, marketing, sales, etc...

All the Developer really has to do, is publish the game to Steam; after that, it's a e-retail environment where Steam handles sales and distribution and sends them money. It doesn't get much better than that.

The issue with Steam lately could largely be resolved simply by not including DLC and add-ons on their searches. I find that the most annoying thing with looking for games on Steam is the reptitions of all the little content packs cluttering the lists, and as a result I largely avoid it entirely. Instead I just type the game I am looking for in the Search bar and go directly to it; or alternatively, I use the front page to sift through current offers, which is actually really not providing developers with exposure under the current climate, unless they are on it.

Early Access should be separated from Published, Triple A products, and DLC should have its own sub-category that is not included in default searches. It can easily be found for the game simply by going to that games store page, and I'm not sure how other people feel, but for me, seeing 30 DLC items for one game cluttering 2-3 pages of the Search actually puts that game on the Do not Buy list for me. They're very poor advertising. Additionally, Steam could provide Store pages big Publishers; something they only partly provide is being able to link back to Publisher content on Steam. Being able to go directly to Activision, or Deep Silver, or another Publisher, and browse their products from the front page would probably help a great deal.

Otherwise, I love Steam, and have zero interest in going anywhere else. I do not want Origin on my PC, or Bethesda.net, or an Epic Games Launcher, or Greenman launcher, or 2-3 3rd party launchers and accounts required just to play a game. Steam provides by far the best interface and service as far as I'm concerned. I can download games on a second drive, and if I reinstall the OS, I just install Steam, select a game I have installed, hit install and point to the location of my Steam games library and it finds everything. No need to download it again unless I uninstall it. 

Some of the flack is deserved, but largely it's grossly exaggerated in my opinion. Steam has just become unfortunately cluttered, and doesn't do as good a job advertising products anymore; and that's compounded by the Early Access games providing competition for big publishers that I'm sure they really don't want. 

And as far as Publishers are concerned, the'd be better off not giving companies exclusives, or moving everything in house and requiring gamers to either go to one point of distribution, or go directly to them, rather than just make use of the available marketplaces to distribute their games. I've ignored at least two games in the past 3 months because of this, where if they'd just published to Steam, I'd be playing them now. And from chatter on the Steam forums, I'm not the only one. They're effectively cutting off their potential distribution and sales by doing this.

Just my opinion. 
    post edited by xTemon - 2019/05/05 14:19:57
    xTemon
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 376
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Epic would ‘hastily retreat’ from store exclusives if Steam matched its revenue split 2019/05/05 17:21:20 (permalink)
    I do have to admit, EPICs store is a lot cleaner than Steam. It looks good. But regardless, it's not consumer friendly, forcing people to change where they buy their products. 
    blackforce
    SSC Member
    Re: Epic would ‘hastily retreat’ from store exclusives if Steam matched its revenue split 2019/05/05 22:17:32 (permalink)
    xTemon
    Steam gets a lot of flack; particularly of late. I've seen comments about them ripping Developers off on the forums there recently, but in all honesty I find it pretty hard to agree, and I don't think a lot of these people really comprehend the service Steam offers.

A large community of gamers to market to.
    Digital distribution, including backend, servers, marketing, sales, etc...

All the Developer really has to do, is publish the game to Steam; after that, it's a e-retail environment where Steam handles sales and distribution and sends them money. It doesn't get much better than that.

The issue with Steam lately could largely be resolved simply by not including DLC and add-ons on their searches. I find that the most annoying thing with looking for games on Steam is the reptitions of all the little content packs cluttering the lists, and as a result I largely avoid it entirely. Instead I just type the game I am looking for in the Search bar and go directly to it; or alternatively, I use the front page to sift through current offers, which is actually really not providing developers with exposure under the current climate, unless they are on it.

Early Access should be separated from Published, Triple A products, and DLC should have its own sub-category that is not included in default searches. It can easily be found for the game simply by going to that games store page, and I'm not sure how other people feel, but for me, seeing 30 DLC items for one game cluttering 2-3 pages of the Search actually puts that game on the Do not Buy list for me. They're very poor advertising. Additionally, Steam could provide Store pages big Publishers; something they only partly provide is being able to link back to Publisher content on Steam. Being able to go directly to Activision, or Deep Silver, or another Publisher, and browse their products from the front page would probably help a great deal.

Otherwise, I love Steam, and have zero interest in going anywhere else. I do not want Origin on my PC, or Bethesda.net, or an Epic Games Launcher, or Greenman launcher, or 2-3 3rd party launchers and accounts required just to play a game. Steam provides by far the best interface and service as far as I'm concerned. I can download games on a second drive, and if I reinstall the OS, I just install Steam, select a game I have installed, hit install and point to the location of my Steam games library and it finds everything. No need to download it again unless I uninstall it. 

Some of the flack is deserved, but largely it's grossly exaggerated in my opinion. Steam has just become unfortunately cluttered, and doesn't do as good a job advertising products anymore; and that's compounded by the Early Access games providing competition for big publishers that I'm sure they really don't want. 

And as far as Publishers are concerned, the'd be better off not giving companies exclusives, or moving everything in house and requiring gamers to either go to one point of distribution, or go directly to them, rather than just make use of the available marketplaces to distribute their games. I've ignored at least two games in the past 3 months because of this, where if they'd just published to Steam, I'd be playing them now. And from chatter on the Steam forums, I'm not the only one. They're effectively cutting off their potential distribution and sales by doing this.

Just my opinion. 

That's your opinion steam is hot Garbage and that's my opinion 
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Epic would ‘hastily retreat’ from store exclusives if Steam matched its revenue split 2019/05/08 21:52:34 (permalink)
    Im no fanboy to anyone, but this crap with Epic, I wont be buying any from Epic Store, and no longer will be using Unreal Engine.....
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile