Enabled GPU Boost on GTX 680M which didn't normally support GPU Boost

Author
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 270
2016/04/21 21:32:08 (permalink)
I didn't know it was possible to modify GPU Boost support into a card which didn't release with GPU Boost support.  To my surprise, it certainly was possible after experimenting with Kepler BIOS Tweaker.  It seems to behave like GPU Boost 1.0.

Note that I chose a very low 3D base clock because it is a laptop and I wanted to have additional power savings.  That being the case, the fill rates look really low.  Just trust me that it boosts up to more desirable performance when needed.

Stock, my GTX 680M ran at a constant 719MHz core and 900 MHz memory clock in any application which used the GPU (movies, browser, games, ...).  Now, my GTX 680M runs at 324 MHz core and 1000 MHz memory when watching movies and browsing the net, but boosts up as high as 797MHz core when GPU load exceeds 50%.

It now runs cooler all-around (especially at lower loads though) and performs about 10% better under load.

This is just using a BIOS modification and the NVIDIA drivers.  I didn't use NVIDIA Inspector or any other software.

I undervolted the core a bit as well.

Main tab:

browser open:

oc scanner at low resolution:

oc scanner at higher resolution (ignore the drop - that was when I was changing resolutions):

oc scanner at higher resolution (ignore the drop - that was when I was changing resolutions):

oc scanner at higher resolution (ignore the drop - that was when I was changing resolutions):

You could say that I was pleased enough to create a post about it.  Maybe someone will find it interesting.

post edited by ty_ger07 - 2016/04/21 21:38:53

Attached Image(s)

2 Replies Related Threads

zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5183
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re: Enabled GPU Boost on GTX 680M which didn't normally support GPU Boost 2016/04/22 18:29:22 (permalink)
    I don't have any need for something like this. But I will say that is pretty interesting. I would have never thought that what you did was possible.

Ludecan
    • Total Posts : 1
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Enabled GPU Boost on GTX 680M which didn't normally support GPU Boost 2018/05/25 11:16:21 (permalink)
    Hey man, that's very cool. Could you post screenshots of the settings you used in Kepler BIOS Tweaker?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile