• Ribbons : 0
2021/12/25 18:19:34 (permalink)
Specs
Mobo- evga x299k ftwk
Cpu- i7 7820x
Gpu - evga GTX 960 SSC
Ram - corsair vengeance 2x8 ddr4 8 a stick
PSU - seasonic gm750

I have had this computer for well a year now and this Error code C popped up after i manually turned off the pc with the built in power button. I am not sure if the Cpu is fried or if the motherboard is fried. I am not sure if I should replace either the CPU or Motherboard. I can also not get into bios since my computer does not even boot up

i have no idea why the video is a short, i only have access to my phone as of now

video with cpu in

video with cpu out

tldr; mobo has error code “c”, and with the cpu out the motherboard runs but still has the error code C. i don’t know which one to replace

5 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA x299 FTWK - Post Code Error code C 2021/12/25 20:18:48 (permalink)
    try the second BIOS position yet ?

Confirm all connections from PSU & especially the two that power the CPU
    https://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/142-SX-E297.pdf

Page 138 manual (excerpt)

"If you power on the board and it goes directly to “C,” and nothing else, that is an indication of a CPU-related issue. It is not likely a
    faulty CPU, although it is possible; instead, it is most likely a CPU power issue."

maybe you can find / borrow a cheaper CPU to test the MB

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Mister E...
    • Total Posts : 89
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: EVGA x299 FTWK - Post Code Error code C 2021/12/27 11:14:50 (permalink)
    Check the PSU 8-pin EPS connectors - could be a bad PSU.
    johnny tee
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EVGA x299 FTWK - Post Code Error code C 2021/12/27 11:44:10 (permalink)
    I’ve tried every solution, but the board still comes up as C. The lights turn off and the 5VSB_LED and DBI flicker on and off when I turn off the board
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA x299 FTWK - Post Code Error code C 2021/12/27 15:36:16 (permalink)
    Pull Everything except ... CPU & the CPU cooler

No RAM, No USB, No drive ..... nada ..... even wires to the Case devices

Does it change your outcome ? 

If No ?
    1 - pull MB from the case & inspect for any damage, then place MB on non-conductive surface & check again ... still No,
    2 - test with known good PSU first, then replace CPU ... inspecting the socket very carefully for "damaged contacts"

If Yes,

Just add 1 stick RAM ... test in the proper slot ... see manual .... test All RAM ... one at a time ... then in pairs

If all RAM tests good .... then add 1 additional item at a time - like KB -- then mouse --- till you find the source of the failure

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Mister E...
    • Total Posts : 89
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: EVGA x299 FTWK - Post Code Error code C 2021/12/28 11:52:34 (permalink)
    johnny tee
    I’ve tried every solution, but the board still comes up as C. The lights turn off and the 5VSB_LED and DBI flicker on and off when I turn off the board

If the 5VSB (5V Standby) LED is flickering, could suggest either a short in the board or a failing/bad PSU.  If you haven't tried another (known good) PSU, I'd start there.

Also, if you've confirmed the PSU is not the issue, then make sure to disconnect all USB devices (including any internal devices) and your other devices (SSD, HDD, etc.) in case one of them is the culprit and causing a short.
    post edited by Mister E... - 2021/12/29 14:11:55
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile