EVGA

AnsweredEVGA x299 FTW - CODE C, Power is good, CPU detected.

Author
a11out
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/11/02 08:33:31 (permalink)
****See the solution in this post.

Hello,

After rebuilding my PC and reapplying thermal paste, I get instant CODE C. Motherboards recognized a skylake PC in the socket (according to LEDs). Important note - the CPU was decided a long time ago to replace the thermal paste between the IHS and the die. It worked fine, although it gave me CODE C back then too. I don't remember what I did to resolve the CODE C back then. 

Any suggestions? What I tried so far:

1. I checked the power, and both 8-pin connectors are plugged in, snugly. 
2. Cleared CMOS with a button. 
3. Removed and plugged BIOS battery. 
4. Reseated CPU, RAM.

Anything else I can do to reset the motherboard?

P.S. Also a weird simptom: when I plug the CPU cooler into CPU headers, both fans make high-pitches noises. It doesn't happen when I plug fans into a hub. 

****SOLUTION!!!

The CPU was delidded (and NOT glued back together, so IHS was loose). So, every time I socket the CPU, I have to put the die in, then IHS, then lock it all with the mounting bracket. However, since the IHS is not glued, any tiny IHS misalignment would cause an uneven pressure from the mounting bracket to the socket, which in turn causes a Schrödinger's state of the CPU, when it's both recognized in the socket, but is unable to run (both dead and alive). To complicate the manner, even if you play with the IHS and the mounting bracket and figure out the correct alignment and pressure - when you put the cooler on, it might cause misalignment due to uneven pressure AGAIN, this time from the cooler. 

The whole thing turns into diffusing a bomb. Once you make a perfect alignment of CPU Die, IHS, Mounting Bracket, and Cooler - it should be fine.

Next time I do delid (if ever) I'll invest in direct die mounting. 
post edited by a11out - 2022/11/02 11:52:01
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 29679
  • Ribbons : 120
Re: EVGA x299 FTW - CODE C, Power is good, CPU detected. 2022/11/02 09:42:16 (permalink)

Does it go strait to C code ?   - Or, does the code display, & change & then Stop on C code?

Support Manual for EVGA X299 FTW K (142-SX-E297)

(excerpt manual p138)

If you power on the board and it goes directly to “C,” and nothing else, that is an indication of a CPU-related issue. It is not likely a faulty CPU, although it is possible; instead, it is most likely a CPU power issue. Above the CPU socket, there will be one or two 8-pin power connectors

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee
RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK 2xEVGA2080Ti EVGA1200P2  Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra 1600P2
Everyone Saves $$$ @EVGA.com use ANYONE's Associate code @ checkout -->  SAVE (on most items) 3% - 10%
a11out
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA x299 FTW - CODE C, Power is good, CPU detected. 2022/11/02 09:44:14 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Does it go strait to C code ?  Or does the code display. change & Stop on C code?

Support Manual for EVGA X299 FTW K (142-SX-E297)

excerpt manual p138

If you power on the board and it goes directly to “C,” and nothing else, that is an
indication of a CPU-related issue. It is not likely a
faulty CPU, although it is possible; instead, it is most
likely a CPU power issue. Above the CPU socket,
there will be one or two 8-pin power connectors

Goes straight to C. I checked the power per the manual. Both 8-pin cables are plugged in, snugly. 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EVGA x299 FTW - CODE C, Power is good, CPU detected. 2022/11/02 09:46:44 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby a11out 2022/11/02 11:41:57
What BIOS version are you running?

Bent socket pins?

CPU cooler was not kept level while tightening? ... (might cause a pin to be out of proper location)

Try backing Off on the CPU mounting screws - as long as the springs are under any compression it should be tight enough

Ck power cables on PSU?  Use only cables that came with PSU

Test with a second PSU & cables, if you have one.

You mention removing Coil Cell battery, did you test it?

Test your "other" BIOS position(s) on MB

Find another CPU to test with, your might have an issue

Strip the build to a bare bones, 1-RAM, CPU cooler & Boot drive.  Unplug & remove everything else connected to the CASE.  Test with a second Mouse & KB

Maybe someone else will have a few ideas

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee
RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK 2xEVGA2080Ti EVGA1200P2  Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra 1600P2
Everyone Saves $$$ @EVGA.com use ANYONE's Associate code @ checkout -->  SAVE (on most items) 3% - 10%
a11out
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA x299 FTW - CODE C, Power is good, CPU detected. 2022/11/02 11:51:09 (permalink)
Cool GTX
What BIOS version are you running?

Bent socket pins?

CPU cooler was not kept level while tightening? ... (might cause a pin to be out of proper location)

Try backing Off on the CPU mounting screws - as long as the springs are under any compression it should be tight enough

Ck power cables on PSU?  Use only cables that came with PSU

Test with a second PSU & cables, if you have one.

You mention removing Coil Cell battery, did you test it?

Test your "other" BIOS position(s) on MB

Find another CPU to test with, your might have an issue

Strip the build to a bare bones, 1-RAM, CPU cooler & Boot drive.  Unplug & remove everything else connected to the CASE.  Test with a second Mouse & KB

Maybe someone else will have a few ideas

Solved

The CPU was delidded (and NOT glued back together, so IHS was loose). So, every time I socket the CPU, I have to put the die in, then IHS, then lock it all with the mounting bracket. However, since the IHS is not glued back to the die, any tiny IHS misalignment would cause an uneven pressure from the mounting bracket to the socket, which in turn causes a Schrödinger's state of the CPU, when it's both recognized in the socket, but is unable to run (both dead and alive). To complicate the manner, even if you play with the IHS and the mounting bracket and figure out the correct alignment and pressure - when you put the cooler on, it might cause misalignment due to uneven pressure AGAIN, this time from the cooler. 

The whole thing turns into diffusing a bomb. Once you make a perfect alignment of CPU Die, IHS, Mounting Bracket, and Cooler - it should be fine.

Next time I do delid (if ever) I'll invest in direct die mounting. 

post edited by a11out - 2022/11/02 11:52:43
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EVGA x299 FTW - CODE C, Power is good, CPU detected. 2022/11/03 09:05:42 (permalink)
"Schrödinger's state"

that sounds like a painful process - Good to see you got it sorted & assembled with IHS in the proper location this time

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile