EVGA

EVGA precision is killing my FPS on gtx 1080ti fe

Author
oneofusjustin
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/04/06 09:01:00 (permalink)
https://youtu.be/8auNTODB4V8 Here is a quick and shaky video that shows the process

IF evga precision is running i get 180ish fps  once i go in task manager and close it out i get over 300. This is repeatable  and as the video shows all i do is close out the EVGA tool. I have the latest version of drivers and EVGA Precision. I even reinstalled both to make sure yesterday. Any ideas?

post edited by oneofusjustin - 2017/04/06 09:03:43

15 Replies Related Threads

FattysGoneWild
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2660
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: EVGA precision is killing my FPS on gtx 1080ti fe 2017/04/06 10:58:47 (permalink)
    Its really bad/buggy software. Don't use it. Afterburner works fine and I would suggest using that. 

HP Omen 880-160se custom ordered
    MOBO: HP Tampa2
    CPU: Intel i7 8700k @4.8GHz
    RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400
    GPU: PNY XLR8 RTX 3080
    PSU: Delta 750w 80 Plus Platinum 
    NVMe M.2 SSD: Samsung 512GB MZVLW512HMJP
    SSD: 250GB Samsung 860 EVO
    HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001
    Sound: Logitech Z623 THX 2.1 Speakers
    Monitor: Dell S2716DG 2560x1440 @144Hz G-Sync calibrated with ColorMunki Display
    Keyboard: HP Omen 1100
    Mouse: HP Omen 600

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA precision is killing my FPS on gtx 1080ti fe 2017/04/06 14:25:11 (permalink)
    By the way, 180 FPS versus 300 FPS: what's the real difference? A torn image on your screen with one part of the tear 0.001 seconds more recent than the other part of the torn image?
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2017/04/06 14:27:42

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

oneofusjustin
    Re: EVGA precision is killing my FPS on gtx 1080ti fe 2017/04/06 14:41:26 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    By the way, 180 FPS versus 300 FPS: what's the real difference? A torn image on your screen with one part of the tear 0.001 seconds more recent than the other part of the torn image?

i have a 165hz monitor for 180 is close to going below my refresh rate. but i mean thats 120fps difference its clearly effective peformance, why would i not be worried about it?
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA precision is killing my FPS on gtx 1080ti fe 2017/04/07 07:13:54 (permalink)
    My question is whether there really is a performance difference. You say that there is clearly a difference. But is there really?

At 165 Hz, each image on your monitor is updated every 0.006 seconds. At 180 FPS, your monitor displays one part of a torn image which is up to 0.006 seconds old with the other part of the torn image which is 0.0005 seconds newer. At 300 FPS, your monitor displays one part of a torn image which is up to 0.006 seconds old with the other part of the torn image which is 0.0027 seconds newer. 0.0022 seconds is a measurable difference, sure, but I doubt that it is perceivable and is nothing in comparison to your computer's and game engine's combined lag easily exceeding 0.05 seconds.

Devil's advocate: if Precision is only capping your framerate from exceeding ~180 FPS, it is not reducing your performance by any perceivable amount. That makes the performance impact very unclear. If you can show me that Precision has a performance impact under higher load at lower framerates, then you would be onto something. But as it is, it appears that you are only experiencing a frame capping effect reducing the total frames for what would only be garbage/unused frames anyway.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

oneofusjustin
    Re: EVGA precision is killing my FPS on gtx 1080ti fe 2017/04/07 10:21:25 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    My question is whether there really is a performance difference. You say that there is clearly a difference. But is there really?

At 165 Hz, each image on your monitor is updated every 0.006 seconds. At 180 FPS, your monitor displays one part of a torn image which is up to 0.006 seconds old with the other part of the torn image which is 0.0005 seconds newer. At 300 FPS, your monitor displays one part of a torn image which is up to 0.006 seconds old with the other part of the torn image which is 0.0027 seconds newer. 0.0022 seconds is a measurable difference, sure, but I doubt that it is perceivable and is nothing in comparison to your computer's and game engine's combined lag easily exceeding 0.05 seconds.

Devil's advocate: if Precision is only capping your framerate from exceeding ~180 FPS, it is not reducing your performance by any perceivable amount. That makes the performance impact very unclear. If you can show me that Precision has a performance impact under higher load at lower framerates, then you would be onto something. But as it is, it appears that you are only experiencing a frame capping effect reducing the total frames for what would only be garbage/unused frames anyway.

im not sure if you are insane, or trolling me here. why would it ever be acceptable for software to reduce GPU performance by 60% it isn't just " capping it" like some type of vsync or fps limiter it is just reducing my overall system performance. When im standing still staring at a wall getting 180fps, what do you think happens when i actually play the game and hits the fan? i drop way below my refresh rate. Where as with it off and I have that additional 60% performance back i never go below 200. I get it, you probably have a 60hz monitor and love EVGA but come on man you cant be that thick to say this is a feature not a bug.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: EVGA precision is killing my FPS on gtx 1080ti fe 2017/04/07 10:25:52 (permalink)
    Keep in mind, vulgar language is not allowed. Posts will be edited to remove any vulgar language.

Yes, the forum software edits the vilgar language into asterisks, no, it doesnt block it when the language is later quoted by someone else, so it becomes visible until the next post is submitted. It's easier if you just follow the forum rules.
    oneofusjustin
    Re: EVGA precision is killing my FPS on gtx 1080ti fe 2017/04/07 10:34:44 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    Keep in mind, vulgar language is not allowed. Posts will be edited to remove any vulgar language.

Yes, the forum software edits the vilgar language into asterisks, no, it doesnt block it when the language is later quoted by someone else, so it becomes visible until the next post is submitted. It's easier if you just follow the forum rules.

my bad didn't know a word allowed on basic cable was considered "vulgar" but lesson learned.

Anyways i switched to MSI after burner. same overclock same OSD settings. problem is fixed EVGA precision confirmed bloatware
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA precision is killing my FPS on gtx 1080ti fe 2017/04/07 12:17:08 (permalink)
    oneofusjustin
    ty_ger07

im not sure if you are insane, or trolling me here. why would it ever be acceptable for software to reduce GPU performance by 60% it isn't just " capping it" like some type of vsync or fps limiter it is just reducing my overall system performance. When im standing still staring at a wall getting 180fps, what do you think happens when i actually play the game and hits the fan? i drop way below my refresh rate. Where as with it off and I have that additional 60% performance back i never go below 200. I get it, you probably have a 60hz monitor and love EVGA but come on man you cant be that thick to say this is a feature not a bug.

I never claimed that it was a feature. As I don't use Precision and I have not duplicated your complaint, I cannot comment on whether or not it is a bug. All I am saying ("Devil's advocate") is that what you reported is a pretty insignificant complaint since it has zero perceivable impact on the operation of your computer.

Give us some load figures. Then, you could be onto something.

If the load at 300 FPS is 99% but the load at 180 FPS is 60%, I would say that it is simply some sort of frame cap. On the other hand, if the load at 180 FPS is also still at 99%, then that is a very big issue.

Additionally, along the same lines, can you please verify whether you fear that the FPS will drop below 165 FPS when otherwise they would not, or whether you have actually noticed them dropping below 165 FPS when otherwise they would have not? Because, as mentioned fear of performance inpact isn't the same as realizing a performance impact. If it is simply a FPS cap, perfomance shouldn't actually be affected when it matters.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2017/04/07 12:23:16

oneofusjustin
    Re: EVGA precision is killing my FPS on gtx 1080ti fe 2017/04/07 12:21:48 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    oneofusjustin
    ty_ger07

I never claimed that it was a feature. As I don't use Precision and I have not duplicated your complaint, I cannot comment on whether or not it is a bug. All I am saying is that what you reported is a pretty insignificant complaint since it has zero perceivable impact on the operation of your computer.

If the load at 300 FPS is 99% but the load at 180 FPS is 60%, I would say that it is simply some sort of frame cap. On the other hand, if the load at 180 FPS is also still at 99%, then that is a very big issue.

if it was a frame cap there would be a setting to turn off said "cap" but it isn't. its just bad software. using afterburner with no issues proved that, case closed. Go buy a 300 horse power car and use watered down gas that can barley make 200hp  and tell me you wouldn't  switch gas stations....
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA precision is killing my FPS on gtx 1080ti fe 2017/04/07 12:30:01 (permalink)
    See edit above.
    Provide some real numbers please.

oneofusjustin
    Re: EVGA precision is killing my FPS on gtx 1080ti fe 2017/04/07 12:35:50 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    See edit above.

real numbers for what? did you not see the video in top post?
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA precision is killing my FPS on gtx 1080ti fe 2017/04/07 14:41:35 (permalink)
    oneofusjustin
    ty_ger07
    See edit above.

real numbers for what?

GPU Load %.

did you not see the video in top post?

Yes, I saw it.  It doesn't provide any useful information.

This is what I said above.  Maybe you missed it:

If the GPU load at 300 FPS is 99% but the GPU load at 180 FPS is 60%, I would say that it is simply some sort of frame cap. On the other hand, if the load at 180 FPS is also still at 99%, then that is a very big issue.

Additionally, along the same lines, can you please verify whether you fear that the FPS will drop below 165 FPS when otherwise it would not, or whether you have actually noticed it dropping below 165 FPS when otherwise it would have not? Because, as mentioned, fear of performance impact isn't the same as realizing a performance impact. If it is simply a FPS cap, as I am inclined to believe, performance shouldn't actually be affected when it matters.

For example:

My best guess is that Precision's software developer team unintentionally caused a frame rate cap to exist.  My best guess is that this apparent framerate cap issue does not negatively affect your system's gaming performance in any perceivable way.  My best guess is that when your system actually requires your video card to be used effectively (not playing an old outdated game like CS which is just idling your GPU at high FPS), your video card will be ready to handle the grunt without any additional slowdowns.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2017/04/07 17:44:05

oneofusjustin
    Re: EVGA precision is killing my FPS on gtx 1080ti fe 2017/04/07 23:24:51 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    oneofusjustin
    ty_ger07
    See edit above.

real numbers for what?

GPU Load %.

did you not see the video in top post?

Yes, I saw it.  It doesn't provide any useful information.

This is what I said above.  Maybe you missed it:

If the GPU load at 300 FPS is 99% but the GPU load at 180 FPS is 60%, I would say that it is simply some sort of frame cap. On the other hand, if the load at 180 FPS is also still at 99%, then that is a very big issue.

Additionally, along the same lines, can you please verify whether you fear that the FPS will drop below 165 FPS when otherwise it would not, or whether you have actually noticed it dropping below 165 FPS when otherwise it would have not? Because, as mentioned, fear of performance impact isn't the same as realizing a performance impact. If it is simply a FPS cap, as I am inclined to believe, performance shouldn't actually be affected when it matters.

For example:

My best guess is that Precision's software developer team unintentionally caused a frame rate cap to exist.  My best guess is that this apparent framerate cap issue does not negatively affect your system's gaming performance in any perceivable way.  My best guess is that when your system actually requires your video card to be used effectively (not playing an old outdated game like CS which is just idling your GPU at high FPS), your video card will be ready to handle the grunt without any additional slowdowns.

i feel like you are the kind of person that says things like " the human eye cant see more than 30 frames per second" . If i was getting 180 fps staring at a wall what do you think happened when i actually played the game? how do you think i originally noticed the issue? in an actual online game the fps was dropping much lower.  180 is just what it was showing in my test video in an empty server looking at a wall, that's like best case scenario right there, when you actually played the game it only went down from there.... I really cant fathom why you are so staunchly defending the software when it was clearly at fault.  Doesn't matter tho, am using MSI after burner and haven't seen below 200 fps in online play
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA precision is killing my FPS on gtx 1080ti fe 2017/04/08 06:11:14 (permalink)
    If you refuse to provide any useful information, your complaint can not be verified, and you can not be helped.

Do you think that 300 FPS is the full potential of your GTX 1080Ti in Counter Strike?  No!  It was being FPS capped the whole time.  Why weren't you complaining about the 300 FPS cap versus 1000 FPS?  Because you don't care about more than 300 FPS?  Why do you care about 180 FPS so badly?  You don't need a GTX 1080Ti to play Counter Strike; I can obtain the same level of performance using my laptop.  Your GTX 1080Ti is idling along doing almost no work in either scenario and is being artificially capped in both situations.  Why?  I was trying to show you that there is virtually zero difference between 300 FPS and 180 FPS and trying to teach you how to see for yourself given the facts that you would uncover in your quest to prove me wrong.

Now, if you honestly want to try to PROVE that there is a problem, provide the information necessary to do so.  As stated a few times above, you need to provide GPU load % figures to go along with those FPS figures if you want any useful correlation to be made. Otherwise, have a good day!

oneofusjustin
    i feel like you are the kind of person that says things like " the human eye cant see more than 30 frames per second" .

That's a garbage assumption.  I own a 120 Hz monitor.  Sure, it's not 165 Hz, but it isn't 30 Hz or 60 Hz either.  I couldn't have possibly wasted my money on 120 Hz if I believed that my eyes can only see at 30 FPS.

The thing I was trying to point you toward was 2.2 ms versus 50 ms.  One is the difference in time in the partial image you are seeing on your monitor and the other is the difference in time between the moment you click the mouse and the moment the the image updates on your monitor.  I was trying to put things in perspective.
    If i was getting 180 fps staring at a wall what do you think happened when i actually played the game? how do you think i originally noticed the issue? in an actual online game the fps was dropping much lower.

Prove it.  FPS and load %.  That's all we need.  How many times do I have to request for it?  Well, if you want, you can certainly provide core voltage and core and memory frequency as well.  That would be nice too.  Did you see my example screen cap above?  It took me less than a minute; and I don't even have anything to prove.

I really cant fathom why you are so staunchly defending the software when it was clearly at fault.

I am not defending Precision. I think the newer versions of Precision developed by this newer software development team are really quite awful.  Did you not notice that I said that I don't even use Precision?  "Unwinder" (the creator of the original versions of Precision) made a better product and fixed reported issues much faster.  But, in this case, I have to seriously question your judgement by picking this fight when you are clearly exhibiting all the signs of (1) lack of curiosity (2) lack of understanding (3) willingly choosing to bury your head in the sand (willingly choosing to be incompetent in this matter) and (4) choosing to pick a fight with one piece of software while wholly ignoring the bigger problem which existed all along.

The race to 1,000,000 FPS is always limited by something.  When you choose to enter that race with such an ancient game with very little technical rendering power, the limitation is rarely the hardware limitations of your video card.  Why is it that CS players are so often involved in this fruitless discussion and so often against doing anything productive to be a part of the conversation?  A whiner is not a whiner if he involves himself productively in the conversation and contributes to improvement.  You sir have not done that.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2017/04/08 10:12:19

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA precision is killing my FPS on gtx 1080ti fe 2017/04/10 19:19:51 (permalink)
    Precision XOC can limit your fps if framerate target is enabled. Are you sure framerate target is disabled?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile