EVGA

EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Bobmitch
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8327
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 47
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 04:46:32 (permalink)
rjohnson11
With EVGA out of the picture I might consider AMD. I was really hoping EVGA would be an AMD partner. 

Here's hoping!  That could be a major plus for AMD

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk;  Ryzen 9 5950X; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Corsair H115i Pro; 32 GB  Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600; Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z; Corsair HX 850i;  Lian Li Lancool II;  EVGA Z15
RGB Keyboard; and Razer Viper 8K Mouse
Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 05:04:44 (permalink)
i'll hold the candle and say that this might be part of the negotiation with NVIDIA.  you never really want to make your contract disputes customer visible.  if NVIDIA is making it impossible financially and EVGA terms, perhaps NVIDIA capitulates a bit, EVGA signs, we are all happy.

the reality is that NVIDIA margins and volume will never be what they were.  mining is on the way out, CBDC is coming.  making major cap ex in mining is very foolish right now.  NVIDIA thinks they're going to beat EPS consensus on rate?  just a desperation move to kick the can, really.  mining is never coming back and if it does it surely wont be using GPUs and the extreme energy waste we've seen thus far.

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 05:28:29 (permalink)
Either Nvidia apologizes and changes it's toxic policies against AIBs and gives them a heads up and more freedoms or (hopeful) they join Intel GPUs but after watching the tech jeebus video, it sounds like the EVGA CEO is definitely done with GPU manufacturing.

What's even more bothersome is the possible downfall this decision may caused because most people come here to purchase a GPU and think secondly that they need a PSU to power said GPU and whatever else they may need.  EVGA's CEO is going based on the other component sales and not realize it was the GPUs that helped those sales happen.  My point is, consumers always thought EVGA as a GPU powerhouse and with that ingredient gone, I don't think they can survive because no one sees EVGA as a PSU or a keyboard/mouse company. 

I really don't think EVGA's CEO thought this through or might have health issues or what have you.  I'm starting to think this decision might have killed the company.
post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2022/09/17 05:38:29

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30975
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 05:55:56 (permalink)
Brad_Hawthorne
GaianElite
...and now it's already closing up?

I think people are confused. EVGA isn't going anywhere. They got a divorce from Nvidia. The brand is worth more away from Nvidia than with them at the moment. With Nvidia doing some really shady stuff with inventory and price points lately I can't say I blame EVGA for the move. Keep to your core values and learn from the past.

+1

GPU were 80% of revenue BUT only 3% of corporate Profits

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 06:00:36 (permalink)
redteamgo
i'll hold the candle and say that this might be part of the negotiation with NVIDIA.  you never really want to make your contract disputes customer visible.  if NVIDIA is making it impossible financially and EVGA terms, perhaps NVIDIA capitulates a bit, EVGA signs, we are all happy.

the reality is that NVIDIA margins and volume will never be what they were.  mining is on the way out, CBDC is coming.  making major cap ex in mining is very foolish right now.  NVIDIA thinks they're going to beat EPS consensus on rate?  just a desperation move to kick the can, really.  mining is never coming back and if it does it surely wont be using GPUs and the extreme energy waste we've seen thus far.

EVGA gave notice to Senior management @ Nvidia back in April

So, if your thinking Nvidia will blink .... unlikely as Nvidia can still sell every 30 series Die @ a steep discount & still make way more than 3% EVGA was making ---> before the latest EVGA price cuts where EVGA looses 100s of $$ per sale ---> Forced by Nvidia's fire sale of current over stocked 30 series GPU

Nvida can easily sell the 40 series capacity to others

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 06:41:11 (permalink)
Cool GTX
redteamgo

So, if your thinking Nvidia will blink .... unlikely as Nvidia can still sell every 30 series Die @ a steep discount & still make way more than 3% EVGA was making ---> before the latest EVGA price cuts where EVGA looses 100s of $$ per sale ---> Forced by Nvidia's fire sale of current over stocked 30 series GPU

thats right but the margin squeeze is because NVIDIA isnt providing discounting on previously committed sales to AIBs.  nvidia's cost is the labor and raw materials

evga's cost is set by nvidia.  if nvidia changes the floor for their own products, it should be changed for everyone with retro discounting on previously committed sales to AIBs.  of course thats the crux of the matter.
post edited by redteamgo - 2022/09/17 06:43:49

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
dragomirc
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 760
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 07:07:15 (permalink)
Brad_Hawthorne

I think people are confused. EVGA isn't going anywhere. 

I think you are Dazed & Confused. EVGA is going down the toilet (pushed by incompetent CEO).

On topic:
1. ASUS,
2. Gigabyte,
3. NVIDIA
kc191938
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 07:07:53 (permalink)
Most likely reference for the future if its available. Probably going to sit this generation out though as I have a perfectly good 3080ti right now. 
z1nonly
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 244
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 07:09:00 (permalink)
I don't think any other manufacturer has a consistent-enough record to make a call before seing what they offer.
Emparus
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 217
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 07:09:46 (permalink)
Lazaredz
I've bought from EVGA since the 8800 days.  Who do I turn to now?

Discuss.

AMD for me for the time being. Will skip 40 anyway, happy with my 3090s.

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 07:11:40 (permalink)
redteamgo
Cool GTX
redteamgo

thats right but the margin squeeze is because NVIDIA isnt providing discounting on previously committed sales to AIBs.  nvidia's cost is the labor and raw materials

evga's cost is set by nvidia.  if nvidia changes the floor for their own products, it should be changed for everyone with retro discounting on previously committed sales to AIBs.  of course thats the crux of the matter.

Nvidia's "internal cost" for the Die is a huge advantage for Nvidia's cost structure ...... nobody can compete with that

Nvidia makes a bigger margin on just the Dies, than AIB make on the finished product

kc191938
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 07:19:12 (permalink)
Brad_Hawthorne
GaianElite

EVGA isn't going anywhere. They got a divorce from Nvidia. The brand is worth more away from Nvidia than with them at the moment. 

They built their company on selling quality Nvidia GPU's.  People buy their other products because they own their GPU's.  The Brand is honestly nothing without High Quality GPU's. Doesn't matter how good there other stuff is, we were drawn here by the GPU's and continue buying products because we have the GPU's.  No GPU's? why make a special trip to buy something from EVGA to pay more shipping when I can order everything from newegg or amazon and take one hit. No GPU's will be their end but I don't think the CEO really cares to stay in business so it is what it is. 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 07:28:36 (permalink)
GPU was 80% of revenue - BUT - Only 3% of Corporate profits

EVGA can survive this .... & EVGA sells through many online retailers

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5208
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 07:32:12 (permalink)
kc191938
Brad_Hawthorne
GaianElite

EVGA isn't going anywhere. They got a divorce from Nvidia. The brand is worth more away from Nvidia than with them at the moment. 

The real problem is two-fold. Nvidia competing directly against EVGA and all card manufacturers. Nvidia also saying your limited in what custom designs you can make with our chip. In otherwords, pretty much only the power side of things (ala Kingpin) and don't futz around with the PCB layout. There is also the problem of not knowing how many chips you'll actually get and when. Drivers go to tech channels first for some reason.  All in all I think Nvidia wants the market to itself and will eventually realize their foot is bleeding from having shot it so many times.

dragomirc
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 760
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 07:39:26 (permalink)
Cool GTX

So other 20% of revenue generate 97% corporate profits.
Considering scope of EVGA products, hard to believe.
rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3214
  • Ribbons : 21
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 08:37:44 (permalink)
First Evga GPU 6800 Ultra AGP

I made the jump from Evga to Asus for my mobo's back when I got a X79 RIVE w 3930K....always great mobo's since.

As for Customer Service I had to deal with Asus Canada once, it was completely painless, quick phone call and given an RMA number.
It was actually fine as Asus has a warehouse / supplier in Canada (although shipping cross border has been painless really).

Next GPU will be Asus Strix OC edition.....waterblock from EK.

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

z3r0t0l0rence
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 9599
  • Ribbons : 20
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 09:14:00 (permalink)
Over the years of hearing about the bs about Nvidia's treatment of AIBs, this isn't a too surprising announcement IMO. I'm surprised it went on this long to begin with. I expect other AIBs may follow seeing how much influence EVGA has. This just might be the straw the broke the camels back. So do NOT be surprised if others follow EVGA's lead by other board partners in the near future. As a consumer of many EVGA components, I will continue to support the company in the future. Props to EVGA for taking a stand on matters this important. Shows they have a backbone and speaks to their leadership and brand name in the industry.

i7 930 OC 4.21 
EVGA E758 
GSkill 12GB
Evga GTX 780 SC
2x Kingston 240 Raid 0
2x Seagate 4TB

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 09:39:13 (permalink)
Expect that in a couple days the 40XX series will be announced and probably on sale within a month after that. Imagine if you are MSI, ASUS or Gigabyte and you are securing 40XX series chips from NVIDIA thinking EVGA is going to be on the market next to your cards. I am not sure that the board partners are ready for the vacuum that not having EVGA at launch created. If it wasn’t for the Crypto crash and the end of GPU ETH mining I would feel that they would be ordering as many chips as possible, but now I think companies have to look at the fact they have inventory of the 30XX series they are trying to sell off and based on the videos posted yesterday it’s likely below cost.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

electrosoft
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 120
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 09:39:17 (permalink)
I plan on riding my 3090ti till at least the 5000/8000 series cards anyhow so we'll see where EVGA (and the industry) stands at that point.

I'll continue to purchase other items from EVGA as I have done so in the past and it has nothing to do with it being tied to GPU purchases but I can certainly see the logic behind that.

Asus Z690 Strix D| 12900k 5.2 P-cores

MSI Suprim X Liquid (2835 boost, 3135 OC)| Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
G.Skill B-die 4133 2x16GB G1

EVGA P2 1600W | Arctic Cool LF II 420mm

Samsung Odessey mLED 43" 4k

kc191938
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 10:10:21 (permalink)
I mean it's a pretty common practice for manufacturers to lower the MSRP of an outgoing product to sell off the remaining inventory before the new product is released. While it stinks to get stuck with inventory and lose on it, the writing has been on the wall for a long time with GPU sales dwindling and crypto mining coming to an end. It's understandable the CEO would want to get out of the GPU business but it's pretty hard to pivot when your company was built on being one of the top providers for Nvidia GPU's though. Hope they get back into it for my warranties sake. Honestly most of us bought the warranties because we know EVGA was always good about honoring it by fixing the product or sometimes replacing it with a newer line with similar performance.  I have no doubts in the quality of my EVGA cards, just sucks there is no future with them. 
PhoenixSpyder
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 10:39:56 (permalink)
What ever direction EVGA takes now...we'll see if the CEO can steer the company in a better for business direction. I've never had any liking for AMD (both GPU or CPU) due to drivers and other items, so I'll stick with Nvidia...I'm just not sure which AIB i'll go with next time. I'm in no hurry for a GPU, but will be doing the CPU upgrade in the next month or so. If EVGA releases a new line of MB's or complements their current ones, I'll be looking...hint, hint EVGA.
kc191938
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 10:47:29 (permalink)
Honestly AMD's cpus have been great lately and Intel really doesn't have an answer for the 7000 cpu's they are dropping this month.  As far as GPU's are concerned I picked up a 6700 when it came out last year just to check it out and it performed better than my 3070 at the time in everything accept when ray tracing was turned on.  It did have driver issues from time to time though which is what AMD is known for sadly. Usually their drivers are finally fixed when a card is about a year old or so. Running a 3080 ti in my rig now and would not bat an eye at putting an RDNA 3 card in my system if it ran better.  I am no longer brand loyal and could care less about anything but performance.  Next CPU upgrade will probably be the AMD 7900x and whatever GPU is available next year, 
agramonte
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 11:16:09 (permalink)
Liquid Devil... unless EVGA jumps ship. What a day 
meathead2001
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 11:58:48 (permalink)
Colorful cards. I so want to get my hands on an Igame Vulcan gpu. Hopefully Colorful will enter the US gpu market and fill in the void.
tresnugget
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 570
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 12:00:35 (permalink)
RDNA 2 was really good and makes me think RDNA 3 could out power 40 series. I'll probably go Asus Strix 4090 but I really want a Galax HOF OC Lab however they're very difficult to get in the US and you pretty much need an intermediary in China to ship it to you. If RDNA 3 releases before I can land a 4090 I want I might go that route depending on the performance.

My associates code is O1RWT3TOQ5NNXP8 if you wanna help !e get my EVGA score up :)
talon951
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1026
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 12:20:02 (permalink)
Hoggle
Expect that in a couple days the 40XX series will be announced and probably on sale within a month after that. Imagine if you are MSI, ASUS or Gigabyte and you are securing 40XX series chips from NVIDIA thinking EVGA is going to be on the market next to your cards. I am not sure that the board partners are ready for the vacuum that not having EVGA at launch created. If it wasn’t for the Crypto crash and the end of GPU ETH mining I would feel that they would be ordering as many chips as possible, but now I think companies have to look at the fact they have inventory of the 30XX series they are trying to sell off and based on the videos posted yesterday it’s likely below cost.

This is my concern as well.  Unclear how much warning the other AIBs got in order to increase production.  Strix will be hard to get for sure, at least for a while.
kongfra
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 135
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 12:47:35 (permalink)
rchiwawa
Agreed. I am going to refresh my PSU with them just to give some support. I hope they pick up Amd or Intel GPUs but given what was said to Steve and as relayed by him I have my doubts they will.

I like their PSU, but no way I would purchase another one from EVGA, for fear they won't be around in case of warranty and plenty of other PSU that are just as good quality.  

I am thinking for the future I will go with ASUS or Gigabyte nvidia cards, but really don't know I guess whatever I can get my hands on.

3080 TI XC3, i9-10850K, Noctua NH-D15S, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram DDR4-3200 CL16 , EVGA Supernova G6 1000W 80+ Gold, Windows 10 Pro,  LG 27GP83B-B with Dual Dell S2716DG Monitor, 2 TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case
kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3034
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 15:49:43 (permalink)
Hoggle
Honestly it will probably be NVIDIA. If EVGA can be the biggest supplier of NVIDIA cards and say not anymore I honestly can’t see any other board partner being happy. Not sure though since maybe NVIDIA would make a change. Hopefully for the board partners still with NVIDIA it results in better relationship on the news.

Probably, NVIDIA controls the chips and has been making a bigger push expanding its own cards that bypass AIBs with every generation. They are in the perfect position to capitalize. I wouldn't touch an FE card though, form-over-function. PCB and VRAM run hotter on those cards and just a three year warranty. 

dragomirc
Cool GTX

So other 20% of revenue generate 97% corporate profits.
Considering scope of EVGA products, hard to believe.

If you understand what the numbers mean it's not hard to believe. EVGA's CEO said this himself, their margin is so low that they are selling higher-end Ampere GPUs at a loss right now. Selling products at a loss is what creates those kinds of lopsided balance sheet figures.

Have water, will cool. 
toyking22
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1169
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 18:17:31 (permalink)
Flybye
Does OCZ and BFG still make video cards? I haven’t shopped around in a VERY long time. 🤣

I bought one of there last gtx GeForce core 216's when they went out of business ages ago..

when ever I get a new card I will most likely get a Asus,, but id prefer a evga :(

Cpu= I7-9700k
Cpu cooler= Nzxt Kraken x62
GPU= Evga Hybrid 2080 ti
Motherboard= Asus Prime Z390 a (dont recommend)
Ram=G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB
Ssd/Hdd Samsung 970 pro 2T / Intel 660 1t
Monitor= Gigabyte M28U 144Hz 28" 4K
Power Supply= EVGA SuperNOVA 850 PQ 
Dynak
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: EVGA is out of the graphics card market. Who do you buy from now? 2022/09/17 18:20:19 (permalink)
Founder's Edition or Asus probably at this point.  Maybe someone else will step up and fill EVGA's shoes, or sort of become the new EVGA, but I don't think that's happening for awhile at least not for the 4000 series.  I am using a 3090 and will not upgrade until the 5000 or 6000 series, probably.
post edited by Dynak - 2022/09/17 18:22:57
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile