EVGA

EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06

Author
KuntryBoy
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/02/27 20:34:25 (permalink)
Hello forum,

After several hours of research and several clean installs of Windows 20H2 installs I've come here. I've finally figured out what's causing me so much headache. I updated Windows 10 1909 to version 20H2 because my system seemed to fail to update past 1909. No errors in Windows updates yet it would never update to version 2004 or 20H2. I also started having issues with the computer entering sleep mode automatically. So I did a clean install. It updated to 20H2.

First install I had all networking disconnected and I manually installed the EVGA Z97 Classified Motherboard drivers. Installing the Intel ME driver immediately BSOD the computer forcing recovery and repair options. Unable to get out of a BSOD loop I had to reinstall Windows again. After doing this several times I tried connecting ethernet during the installation... Windows starts doing updates in the background during the installation process and in the middle of it... BSOD! So I assume it was trying to automatically get a driver for this Intel Management Engine Interface during updates.

I finally got a stable install by disabling networking during installation, installing all other drivers and then connecting to network... still got a BSOD but the computer went into recovery and actually started up. I was given a message saying some updates were postponed. I did all Windows updates installed all of my programs etc. Did a system image backup since this was about the 10th time I tried installing Windows. Well... I went into device manager to look and sure enough Intel Management Engine was yellow banged under "other devices". Any attempt to click and update it in device manager, uninstall it and restart, or run the EVGA Intel ME driver setup would BSOD the computer causing a hard reset into recovery mode. Or fatal error and then have to reinstall Windows again.

So... what's the answer to the riddle? The BIOS. I have the latest BIOS installed... version 2.06. It's supposed to be for security etc. However with Windows 10 20H2 running the latest BIOS there's no way I could figure out how to install the Intel MEI without a BSOD. I even reinstalled the BIOS from USB. I flipped the BIOS switch in my motherboard to the base BIOS 1.0X and it will successfully boot. I was also able to install the Intel ME with no issue while using that bios. What's wrong with that? Well it's not the latest patched BIOS that's supposed to be for security for the processor etc. Also, switching back to BIOS 1 with 2.06 causes a BSOD even after successfully installing the Intel MEI under the base BIOS. 

So... EVGA I know this is older hardware but there's a problem here and I'm not the only one who has it... There needs to be a BIOS update for these motherboards. 
post edited by KuntryBoy - 2021/02/27 20:39:35

EVGA SC 980ti
16GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

17 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102300
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06 2021/03/01 05:11:54 (permalink)
    In this case I'll ask that you contact EVGA technical support. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

KuntryBoy
    Re: EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06 2021/03/01 12:44:27 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    In this case I'll ask that you contact EVGA technical support. 

Thanks I have forwarded this post as a ticket to support. Hopefully they can get this sorted. I've seen similar posts on different forums and sites going around. Dealing with this issue. I just nailed down what it was for me and this board. 

EVGA SC 980ti
    16GB RAM
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06 2021/03/02 20:36:16 (permalink)
    KuntryBoy
    Hello forum,

After several hours of research and several clean installs of Windows 20H2 installs I've come here. I've finally figured out what's causing me so much headache. I updated Windows 10 1909 to version 20H2 because my system seemed to fail to update past 1909. No errors in Windows updates yet it would never update to version 2004 or 20H2. I also started having issues with the computer entering sleep mode automatically. So I did a clean install. It updated to 20H2.

First install I had all networking disconnected and I manually installed the EVGA Z97 Classified Motherboard drivers. Installing the Intel ME driver immediately BSOD the computer forcing recovery and repair options. Unable to get out of a BSOD loop I had to reinstall Windows again. After doing this several times I tried connecting ethernet during the installation... Windows starts doing updates in the background during the installation process and in the middle of it... BSOD! So I assume it was trying to automatically get a driver for this Intel Management Engine Interface during updates.

I finally got a stable install by disabling networking during installation, installing all other drivers and then connecting to network... still got a BSOD but the computer went into recovery and actually started up. I was given a message saying some updates were postponed. I did all Windows updates installed all of my programs etc. Did a system image backup since this was about the 10th time I tried installing Windows. Well... I went into device manager to look and sure enough Intel Management Engine was yellow banged under "other devices". Any attempt to click and update it in device manager, uninstall it and restart, or run the EVGA Intel ME driver setup would BSOD the computer causing a hard reset into recovery mode. Or fatal error and then have to reinstall Windows again.

So... what's the answer to the riddle? The BIOS. I have the latest BIOS installed... version 2.06. It's supposed to be for security etc. However with Windows 10 20H2 running the latest BIOS there's no way I could figure out how to install the Intel MEI without a BSOD. I even reinstalled the BIOS from USB. I flipped the BIOS switch in my motherboard to the base BIOS 1.0X and it will successfully boot. I was also able to install the Intel ME with no issue while using that bios. What's wrong with that? Well it's not the latest patched BIOS that's supposed to be for security for the processor etc. Also, switching back to BIOS 1 with 2.06 causes a BSOD even after successfully installing the Intel MEI under the base BIOS. 

So... EVGA I know this is older hardware but there's a problem here and I'm not the only one who has it... There needs to be a BIOS update for these motherboards. 

I believe you need to update the intel ME firmware on your board. Not the Intel Management Engine, but the actual board firmware.
    You should find the version you need and the instructions here:
    https://www.win-raid.com/...irmware-and-Tools.html

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

al2jzge
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06 2021/04/12 22:58:05 (permalink)
    KuntryBoy,

Did you hear back about your ticket to support?

I also tried the ticket route with support and no luck on getting an updated driver.  Below is what I submitted back in January and their reply below. Like you found the latest BIOS does not help. So I did not bother answering back. 

By the way, there's another thread here in the forums where someone figured out that disabling IME in the Device Manager helps resolve the BSOD - but no one is sure what vulnerability this leaves us in.  :(  Here's the thread... https://forums.evga.com/Z...2-update-m3146566.aspx

--------------------------

Question1/5/2021 2:12:04 PM

Hi,
    I believe that my EVGA Z97 Classified motherboard is outside of its warranty period.  It has been working great all these years
    But now Windows 10 20H2 Update requires a driver update for the Intel Management Engine (IME) in order for the motherboard to continue to be usable.  This driver does not seem to be available from Intel.  Please provide a link if it is. Otherwise, will EVGA be able to provide a driver for us customers?
    Please see forum thread...https://forums.evga.com/Z...2-update-m3146566.aspx
    Thank you,

Answer1/6/2021 7:58:06 AM
    Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your z97 classified. Unfortunately, the last update to the IME was in 2015. If you haven't already, you could try updating the BIOS to the latest version found HERE. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
    EVGA

Gaming: Corsair 760T, EVGA Z97 Classified, Intel i7-4790K, CM Seidon 240M AIO, 2x EVGA GTX 970 SSC (SLI), EVGA GTX 960 SC (PhysX), G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400Mhz 8GB x4, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, OCZ ARC100 SSD 250GB x2, WD Black 2TB x2, CM SPH-1050W, Dell S2716DG 27inch 1440p 144Hz G-Sync

VR/Home Theater: TMT Core v21, Asus ROG STRIX Z270G, Intel i7-7700K, Corsair H115i CPU AIO, EVGA 1080 Ti FE Hybrid, Corsair Dominator DDR4 3200Mhz 8GB x2, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB, WD Blue SSD 1TB, WD Black 6TB, EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Noctua Fans, Sony XBR65X850C 65inch 4K, HTC Vive
    no1warr1or
    Re: EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06 2021/04/18 21:57:22 (permalink)
    I just submitted a ticket ( I believe lol ) Wanted to confirm I'm having this issue on the Z97 FTW board, Havent tested audio as it goes through the display port cable on my GPU. I was able to update to 20h2 by disabling the device in device manager but now it looks like windows update is trying to update the driver for intel ME and is now bluescreening if I don't disable windows update entirely, so watch out for the "intel" driver that pops up in there. This is all just a mess... I really hope we hear something back from them... the 4790k I have in mine is still more than capable for what I do.
    no1warr1or
    Re: EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06 2021/04/18 22:23:49 (permalink)
    Well after a restart I can't get into windows. It bluescreens then goes to the recovery menu..

Interesting find though. Which may be causing the issue... after windows bluescreens and it automatically restarts and I enter into the bios it reports 120GB ram at 1171mhz. The problem is I only have 32GB ram at 1600mhz LOL After a manual restart it reports the correct amount and speed. I turned off XMP just incase with no luck. Not sure what to do now. Wondering if I set the boot mode to legacy if it will work. Will post updates as they come
    post edited by no1warr1or - 2021/04/18 22:31:23

Attached Image(s)

no1warr1or
    Re: EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06 2021/04/19 21:44:43 (permalink)
    I reverted back to bios 1.07 and the system booted right up, new intel ME drivers via windows update installed and the device enabled in device manager. This appears to be some sort of bios issue.. I heard back from EVGA support today with no useful information. They told me to reset the cmos and try sfc /scannow via CMD recovery, all options that were already tried. Then they tried to blame my RAM or HDD. I mentioned these threads but it doesnt seem like they listened or cared. Shame really, cant say I would go with an EVGA product again after this. Guess for now Im stuck on an outdated bios. Havent tried legacy mode but intend to just for curiosities sake 
    usbarlow@hotmail.com
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re: EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06 2021/04/23 22:03:26 (permalink)
    sorry for the double post....
    Decided to dust off the old z97
    z97 Classified 4790k
    750ti
    mini pci-e wifi card
    NVME M.2 drive in a riser card running the OS
    2.06bios with the newest PLX firmware (updated the PLX because I am running the NVME drive)
    Fresh install of win 10 worked fine till it connected to the internet, then would blue screen after 1-2 minutes if that long.
    Ended up doing what other did and just disable the PCI Simple Communications Controller (I have yet to re enable) before pugging into the internet.
    Running with all the current updates as of 4/23, even played with fire and used the windows driver updates.
    Fired up Apex Legends 1600x900 60+ fps
    post edited by usbarlow@hotmail.com - 2021/04/23 22:11:46
    sflanary
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06 2021/05/07 21:11:24 (permalink)
    So, I don't normally respond back to any of the threads like this. But after spending a few days trying to figure this problem out, I found a solution which was incredibly simple and got me to a booted state. Backstory that got me here:

Fresh install of win10
    Was running fine, until the BSOD "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" (which everything says it's bad RAM, but I knew it wasn't)
    Ran SFC, DISM, chkdsk, etc, etc, etc. 
    Srttrail.log file said no hard drive found in the WinRE command line, but I was accessing the file FROM the HDD that it said wasn't there... Rabbit hole.
    Used windbg.exe to finally find the BSODs were from a driver called "teedriverw8x64", which led me to the IMEI issue. I noticed issues in my device manager immediately prior to all this happening, so I was fairly certain this was the cause. 

Resolution to get to boot:
    In the WinRE command line, if your main drive is C:\,  :
    move C:\Windows\System32\teedriverw8x64.sys C:\
    ren C:\teedriverw8x64.sys teedriverw8x64.sys.bak

And that's it. Restarted and it booted right up. This resolution to get back to the desktop was much, much easier than anything else I had found and it worked first try. You might not even have to rename the file, but knowing C:\ can sometimes be in PATH, Windows might have still found it there. You might just be able to rename it inside the drivers folder, but I moved it just in case it was doing a regex check or similar to verify the file was there. Anyway, hopefully this helps. Good luck. 

grotzenkopp
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06 2021/05/14 02:19:46 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi

I believe you need to update the intel ME firmware on your board. Not the Intel Management Engine, but the actual board firmware.
    You should find the version you need and the instructions here:

i did all of this on my Z97 Stinger (the mini-ITX one) and ended up with ME 9.1 1.5MB v9.1.40.1000 from your link. I will outline the 'how' below, but in the end, it was to no avail... even with the upgraded firmware of the management engine the 20H2 update instantly runs into a BSOD and Win 10 goes back to 1909 :(

what did i do:
    install fresh harddrive
    install base Win 10 1909 image
    right after login i downloaded :
    • 7-zip (because some genius on win-raid thought it's awesome to pack everything in RAR archives...)
    • Section B1:
      ME 9.1 1.5MB v9.1.40.1000
      For systems running ME 1.5MB v9.1
    • Section C2:
      ME System Tools v9.1 r7 - (2018-09-01)
      For systems running ME v9.0 - v9.1
    unpack it, know where you unpacked it.
    open a command line as admin, go to the folder
    [wherever you unpacked it]\Intel ME System Tools v9.1 r7\FWUpdate\WIN64\
    and execute 
    FWUpdLcl64.exe -f [wherever you unpacked it]\9.1.40.1000_1.5MB_PRD_EXTR.bin
    if your system works like mine, it should tell you to restart. My Z97 then showed "9.1.40.1000" in BIOS

Let me know if anyone managed to get further from this point!
    Cheers, Grotze
    post edited by grotzenkopp - 2021/05/14 02:25:30
    magilla060
    Re: EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06 2021/09/11 08:40:41 (permalink)
    I don't know if anyone is still having this issue (BSOD error of a page fault in a non paged area), but I spent many days trying to figure out the issue. I tried disabling the IME like everyone suggested when it popped up on Device Manager, but that was only a temporary reprieve from the BSOD. After swapping out video cards, removing sound cards, doing multiple fresh installs of Windows 20H2, and multiple SFC scans, I remembered that the mobo had multiple BIOS loads controlled by a dip switch. I was on BIOS position 3 (v2.06). I changed the dip switch to position 1 (v1.01) and everything loaded with no BSOD. I have since reverted dip switch position 3 (v1.07) and everything is working fine and is stable. BIOS v1.07 is the latest BIOS that was intended for Windows Vista/7 but it's been stable for the last 3-4 weeks. I have been able to install Windows 10 Pro 21H1, it has been able to update with all the latest Windows updates, and I have not had any BSOD errors at all. I haven't tried to move onto BIOS version 2.XX because that's when Windows 10 starts to be supported and I simply don't have the time to troubleshoot anymore.

FIX: Rollback BIOS to v1.xx - I currently use v1.07 but have also been successful on v1.01
    KuntryBoy
    Re: EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06 2021/09/20 11:41:04 (permalink)
    magilla060
    I don't know if anyone is still having this issue (BSOD error of a page fault in a non paged area), but I spent many days trying to figure out the issue. I tried disabling the IME like everyone suggested when it popped up on Device Manager, but that was only a temporary reprieve from the BSOD. After swapping out video cards, removing sound cards, doing multiple fresh installs of Windows 20H2, and multiple SFC scans, I remembered that the mobo had multiple BIOS loads controlled by a dip switch. I was on BIOS position 3 (v2.06). I changed the dip switch to position 1 (v1.01) and everything loaded with no BSOD. I have since reverted dip switch position 3 (v1.07) and everything is working fine and is stable. BIOS v1.07 is the latest BIOS that was intended for Windows Vista/7 but it's been stable for the last 3-4 weeks. I have been able to install Windows 10 Pro 21H1, it has been able to update with all the latest Windows updates, and I have not had any BSOD errors at all. I haven't tried to move onto BIOS version 2.XX because that's when Windows 10 starts to be supported and I simply don't have the time to troubleshoot anymore.

FIX: Rollback BIOS to v1.xx - I currently use v1.07 but have also been successful on v1.01

Yes this issue still exists. I actually forgot I created this forum. Today I had some other issues with a new PCI network card and I thought... well maybe I should update my bios... and after I had BSOD after BSOD I realized I've been here before. Google search brought me right back to my own thread. Thankfully this board has 3 BIOS switches... v2.06 does not work for me. Even though there's been a few Windows updates since this thread. v1.07 is the only stable one besides the default it shipped with. EVGA customer service really didn't give me any hope that this would ever be fixed. They suggested to flash my BIOS back to the original. That did work but it doesn't have the security patch the newest one v2.06 has. v1.07 is at least a little newer than the default. I wish I could get the BIOS before v2.06 at least. They offer older drivers for other things... not older BIOS though other than v1.07

EVGA SC 980ti
    16GB RAM
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    magilla060
    Re: EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06 2021/09/28 20:18:56 (permalink)
    I started having stability issues a couple days after the last post, of course. No BSOD, but the computer just locks up in the middle of a game. I've only noticed it happening when gaming, but I don't do much else but game on the computer. I have to hard power cycle it with a long press the power button to get it to reboot. A couple weeks ago I found v1.08 on the Australian EVGA download site but I get the same results. Locking up in the middle of gaming. This was a 2014 build, so I guess it lasted me a while. I'm probably going to end up just building or buying a new rig this winter. The most frustrating part is that before 20H2 my current set-up could still play any of the games I like at the highest settings (GTA5, Warzone, WoT, etc.).  
    BiggyNewton
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 145
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06 2021/10/02 08:41:32 (permalink)
    Bit late to this thread but have you guys tried just disabling Intel ME in device manager and seeing if the bsods go away?

Associate code: EKA5I8R4C7M401L
    Thanks to anyone using my code!
    LithiumThunder
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06 2021/11/10 18:52:01 (permalink)
    BiggyNewton
    Bit late to this thread but have you guys tried just disabling Intel ME in device manager and seeing if the bsods go away?

I came up with a similar solution on my end, but had to take it a step further. For reference, I have an i7-4790k and an EVGA Z97 FTW, and am currently running Windows 10 Pro, 21H1 with no issues.

Even if I uninstalled the device/drivers (TeeDriverW8x64.sys) that triggered the BSOD (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA) Windows Update would incessantly read it as a missing / out of date driver and automatically try to reinstall the faulty drivers, instantly triggering the BSOD again. One solution would have been to just totally disable Windows from auto-installing all devices/drivers, but for critical drivers like this, it did not seem to care, and for the most part it is convenient to leave this on (to me anyway).

So what I ended up doing was changing a Group Policy setting that restricts installation for this particular Intel ME device.

First thing I did was go into Device Manager to find the Hardware ID. Without proper drivers installed, the Intel ME device just shows up under "Other Devices" using the "PCI Simple Communications Controller" driver. To find the Hardware ID: Right-click the device > "Properties" > "Details" > Change the "Property" dropdown to "Hardware Ids". Under the "Values" section it will show all of the relevant Hardware Ids for it; we want the one that includes the Vendor, Device, and Subsystem Ids: "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CBA&SUBSYS_103C3842". Copy that value; we will paste it elsewhere in a minute.

Next, we open gpedit.msc (Group Policy Editor). This requires Windows 10 Pro or above; there may be a Registry version of this workaround for Home users, but I have not looked into it. In GPEdit, in the left panel, we need to go to the following setting: "Computer Configuration" > "Administrative Templates" > "System" > "Device Installation" > "Device Installation Restrictions". Upon selecting the "Device Installation Restrictions" template, a bunch of settings will appear in the window to the right. We are looking for "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs". Double-click it or right-click it and select "Edit".

Once in the "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs" setting, at the top left, we will see by default it is set to "Not Configured". We want to change this to "Enabled". Once it is enabled, in the "Options" pane at the bottom of the same window, there should be an options that reads "Prevent installation of device that match any of these Device IDs" with a "Show..." button. Click the "Show..." button. This will bring up a list of the restricted devices (it is currently empty). Here is where we can enter/paste the device ID we copied earlier from Device Manager. So now there should be a field in here with its "Value" set to "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CBA&SUBSYS_103C3842". Click "OK" after entering the Device ID and then click "Apply" on the setting window.  This will restrict installation of any device that matches this ID (the Intel ME and its driver TeeDriverW8x64.sys).

YMMV, but this is literally the only thing keeping my system from constantly BSOD'ing due to this faulty driver in Windows 10. At one point before figuring out this workaround, I even had to fully re-install Windows because I could not get it to boot or recover without instantly blue screening with the "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA". After inspecting the dump files, I found it it was this driver (TeeDriverW8x64.sys). When I was reinstalling Windows, I actually had to disconnect my PC from the Internet to prevent Windows from trying to automatically install this as part of the initial updates.
    post edited by LithiumThunder - 2021/11/10 18:55:40
    BiggyNewton
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 145
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06 2021/11/19 06:51:20 (permalink)
    LithiumThunder
    BiggyNewton

I came up with a similar solution on my end, but had to take it a step further. For reference, I have an i7-4790k and an EVGA Z97 FTW, and am currently running Windows 10 Pro, 21H1 with no issues.

Even if I uninstalled the device/drivers (TeeDriverW8x64.sys) that triggered the BSOD (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA) Windows Update would incessantly read it as a missing / out of date driver and automatically try to reinstall the faulty drivers, instantly triggering the BSOD again. One solution would have been to just totally disable Windows from auto-installing all devices/drivers, but for critical drivers like this, it did not seem to care, and for the most part it is convenient to leave this on (to me anyway).

So what I ended up doing was changing a Group Policy setting that restricts installation for this particular Intel ME device.

First thing I did was go into Device Manager to find the Hardware ID. Without proper drivers installed, the Intel ME device just shows up under "Other Devices" using the "PCI Simple Communications Controller" driver. To find the Hardware ID: Right-click the device > "Properties" > "Details" > Change the "Property" dropdown to "Hardware Ids". Under the "Values" section it will show all of the relevant Hardware Ids for it; we want the one that includes the Vendor, Device, and Subsystem Ids: "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CBA&SUBSYS_103C3842". Copy that value; we will paste it elsewhere in a minute.

Next, we open gpedit.msc (Group Policy Editor). This requires Windows 10 Pro or above; there may be a Registry version of this workaround for Home users, but I have not looked into it. In GPEdit, in the left panel, we need to go to the following setting: "Computer Configuration" > "Administrative Templates" > "System" > "Device Installation" > "Device Installation Restrictions". Upon selecting the "Device Installation Restrictions" template, a bunch of settings will appear in the window to the right. We are looking for "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs". Double-click it or right-click it and select "Edit".

Once in the "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs" setting, at the top left, we will see by default it is set to "Not Configured". We want to change this to "Enabled". Once it is enabled, in the "Options" pane at the bottom of the same window, there should be an options that reads "Prevent installation of device that match any of these Device IDs" with a "Show..." button. Click the "Show..." button. This will bring up a list of the restricted devices (it is currently empty). Here is where we can enter/paste the device ID we copied earlier from Device Manager. So now there should be a field in here with its "Value" set to "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CBA&SUBSYS_103C3842". Click "OK" after entering the Device ID and then click "Apply" on the setting window.  This will restrict installation of any device that matches this ID (the Intel ME and its driver TeeDriverW8x64.sys).

YMMV, but this is literally the only thing keeping my system from constantly BSOD'ing due to this faulty driver in Windows 10. At one point before figuring out this workaround, I even had to fully re-install Windows because I could not get it to boot or recover without instantly blue screening with the "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA". After inspecting the dump files, I found it it was this driver (TeeDriverW8x64.sys). When I was reinstalling Windows, I actually had to disconnect my PC from the Internet to prevent Windows from trying to automatically install this as part of the initial updates.

Thanks for this detailed info.  I highly recommend that most users use the group policy editor to disable automatic windows updates for drivers.  Once you are set just update them yourself.  

Associate code: EKA5I8R4C7M401L
    Thanks to anyone using my code!
    t4thfavor
    Re: EVGA Z97 CLASSIFIED and Intel Management Engine Interface BSOD because of BIOS 2.06 2022/03/13 15:00:51 (permalink)
    LithiumThunder
    BiggyNewton

Here in 2022, just inherited a Z97 board with 4970K cpu, bsod constantly, this group policy fix worked like a charm. I probably didn't even need to go through 3 days of windows updates (over and over) if I would have installed this before swapping out the board in my machine :)

Thanks for the help!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile