EVGA

EVGA Z87 FTW no post, post code C

Author
Lednix
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/02/27 16:58:25 (permalink)
Last July I bought parts to build a computer from scratch. It never worked. Fast forward through several RMA's I've tried 3 ASUS motherbords and replaced the processor once. Giving up on ASUS having the first show no picture and the latter two fail to post I tried the Z87 FTW. Same behavior as the last 2 ASUS. 

It will turn for less than a second and display the post code "C_". An EVGA tech over the phone said I might have a DOA on the mboard (if not the processor) and might have to RMA the mboard. Considering my history I'm not fully convinced RMA'ing another mboard will fix this. I suspect that the power supply may be the culprit.

How can I tell if its the PSU? If my new EVGA mboard is shot? The new processor? Could my case be shorting out something every time? 

Unplugging power to the CPU gives error code FF and PC stays on, no video. Third ASUS worked once before it had the same problem. I had a friend try one of his PSU on it. Nothing.

New MB:
EVGA Z87 FTW LGA1150 ATX 4 DIMM Dual-Channel DDR3 2666MHz Motherboard (141-HW-E877-KR)

First 3 MB:
ASUS Z87-PRO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (gave post code 00)

CPU:
Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics

PSU:
SeaSonic X-SERIES X-1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

Case:
Cooler Master HAF 922 - High Air Flow Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and All-Black Interior

Please help me with this $2000 paperweight (and still growing).

15 Replies Related Threads

cateno
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 979
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: EVGA Z87 FTW no post, post code C 2014/02/28 05:56:21 (permalink)
    hello

try with one old dim ex drr 1333  possible you need bios update for use your 2666 ,  possible your ftw come with first  version bios

make a reset bios to first boot   with no disk attached

Z690 classified start build

X299 DARK  7900X 7740x soon 7980X
    X299 APEX
    X299 rampage Extreme

E762 W3520@4.2  E679 2600k
    E760 X980 
    E761 I920
    E770 I950
    and SR2's  and SRX's
    Z87 classified , MVIE built with 4770K
    Z97 classified , ftw Z97 ,  MFVII  only wait for gigabyte LN2 
    X99 series.... classified , FTW , RE5 , oc formula, profesional , X11 , soc force , msi gaming9ack

X79 classified, dark and RIVE, RIVBE,, xtreme11
    and many classified a panel from EVGA  no just one sample

and other  DFI giga etc  

JoeyC
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 1703
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA Z87 FTW no post, post code C 2014/02/28 08:16:00 (permalink)
    Good morning,

Generally with the C post code it has to do with something with/around the CPU. This could be related to the motherboard, CPU, power supply, over-tighten cooler or possible a grounding issue. The first thing I would recommend, if using a aftermarket CPU cooler, is remove the screws and just let is rest on the CPU. The computer will need to be on it's side for this. If the issue continues try removing the motherboard from the case and place it on a piece of wood/cardboard. All you need to hook up is the CPU, cooler and power supply to see if you can get pass the C code. Judging by the power supply you can try swapping out modular CPU cables and use the other CPU port to see if that makes a different. Let us know the results and if you have any other questions 24/7. 

Rate my service by going to: http://www.evga.com/myevga/rateus/

Lednix
    Re: EVGA Z87 FTW no post, post code C 2014/03/02 11:56:12 (permalink)
    Okay, I only have the default CPU cooler that came with the CPU so I couldn't do much there. With 1 stick of RAM with the motherboard out of case and on the foam it was packaged in I've tried both modular CPU cables that came with the PSU. Same result both times. Just post code C and shuts off. As for a BOIS update I looked everywhere but I couldn't find instructions for updating the bios onboard, without the use of the OS or DOS.
    Gomez99
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2637
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: EVGA Z87 FTW no post, post code C 2014/03/02 16:08:24 (permalink)
    Can you put in only one stick of ram and test. If it doesn't post swap the sticks and try again. To diagnose the PSU we have two options: Find someone who can lend you their machine, and hook up your PSU to it and test. another is to buy a digital multimeter and test the voltages:

1)Flip switch on the back of PSU to OFF
    2)Unplug all components from PSU
    3)Take a paper clip and unfold it
    4)Place one end of paper clip into the PS_ON# connector and the other into any ground plug (This allows the PSU to turn on without the need of a motherboard): 

5) Take the multimeter and test each of these voltages: +3.3VDC, +5VDC, +12V1DC

The voltages should be within ATX spec(Better closer to what it says though) if it is out of spec this could be causing your problems

Lednix
    Re: EVGA Z87 FTW no post, post code C 2014/03/04 15:23:53 (permalink)
    Alright. I've tried both RAM sticks in all the slots just in case (1 stick at a time). Acquired a multimeter and tested the voltages. everything fell within standard ranges so I guess that rules out the PSU. I still haven't found a way to update the bios on board (is that possible?). Is there any way to rule out the motherboard or CPU at this point? Is it possible that it either doesn't work properly that it could destroy the other?
    I can still RMA the (4th) motherboard but if I have to replace the (2nd) processor I'll have to buy another one ($340) and I have no idea if that's the problem. Also, if it is the processor and I RMA the motherboard could the faulty processor "fry" a new motherboard?
    sk2play
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4437
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: EVGA Z87 FTW no post, post code C 2014/03/04 21:32:19 (permalink)
    Are you posting with a add-on PCIe graphic card?  If so, remove it and use onboard only for your first POST attempt.

Corsair R500 Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N78TGHZ-3GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 16GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 2TB HDD x2, Creative SBz to Onkyo TX-DS676, Bose 201's, Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W8.1
    Lednix
    Re: EVGA Z87 FTW no post, post code C 2014/03/05 05:10:55 (permalink)
    Nothing else on. Just 1 stick of RAM and the CPU out of the case. 
    JoeyC
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 1703
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA Z87 FTW no post, post code C 2014/03/05 07:56:48 (permalink)
    Lednix
    Alright. I've tried both RAM sticks in all the slots just in case (1 stick at a time). Acquired a multimeter and tested the voltages. everything fell within standard ranges so I guess that rules out the PSU. I still haven't found a way to update the bios on board (is that possible?). Is there any way to rule out the motherboard or CPU at this point? Is it possible that it either doesn't work properly that it could destroy the other?
    I can still RMA the (4th) motherboard but if I have to replace the (2nd) processor I'll have to buy another one ($340) and I have no idea if that's the problem. Also, if it is the processor and I RMA the motherboard could the faulty processor "fry" a new motherboard?

I do apologize but you are unable to update the BIOS prior to the motherboard completing post. Given your testing history and use of hardware I would recommend contacting Intel for further support with the CPU. However if you would like I can work with you on a RMA for the motherboard to help further isolate the issue. I can even request extended testing on the replacement board to issue it is 100% prior to shipping out. If you would like me to get the RMA process started for you, please send email me at JoeyC@evga.com to confirm your shipping address.

Also one other thing to try, is you can toggle to the secondary BIOS chip. Please refer to the picture on were the switch is located. Simply move it to position two to be on the secondary position. 

Have a nice day 
    post edited by EVGATech_JoeyC - 2014/03/05 08:03:45

Attached Image(s)

Rate my service by going to: http://www.evga.com/myevga/rateus/

Lednix
    Re: EVGA Z87 FTW no post, post code C 2014/03/06 14:52:33 (permalink)
    OK new problem (kinda). Now when I turn it on (bare bones 1 RAM stick, out of case) it will display the C code as per usual however instead of shutting off it continuously "blinks" on/off (with the C code each time), lights flashing, and fans spinning on and off as if I was holding the power button or something. The only way to make it stop is to turn the power off on the back of the PSU. The only difference about this configuration is that the PSU is no longer mounted in the case and is on the table. I tried to put the PSU back in the case to see if that was it but it still "blinks".
    sk2play
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: EVGA Z87 FTW no post, post code C 2014/03/08 11:23:35 (permalink)
    There is one constant between the Asus MB's and EVGA Z87ftw you've tried.  You are getting a CPU era message every time and have not RMA's your CPU.  Intel is good with RMA's.  Your CPU could have fried during your initial Asus MB installation attempt for whatever reason.

Corsair R500 Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N78TGHZ-3GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 16GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 2TB HDD x2, Creative SBz to Onkyo TX-DS676, Bose 201's, Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W8.1
    Lednix
    Re: EVGA Z87 FTW no post, post code C 2014/03/08 11:32:54 (permalink)
    I did RMA the CPU between the 2nd and 3rd ASUS MB so the 2nd CPU was a first time use along with the 3rd MB. It worked once then never again. Maybe the 2nd CPU fried in the 3rd MD and now it does not work on the EVGA MB? I doubt Intel would be willing to RMA again as they seemed hesitant the first time.  Assuming it is the processor would a new one fix the problem or could it have fried the EVGA MB and I need to replace that too?
    sk2play
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: EVGA Z87 FTW no post, post code C 2014/03/08 11:51:17 (permalink)
    Did Intel let you know if the first RMA CPU was dead?  You are having either terrible luck or using a improper installation method.   Are you installing with proper ESD rules, using a proper amount of TIM, heatsink mounting?  Sorry is I am sounding off simple minded questions, just have to be sure sometimes of these things.  It could also be that your PC Case is shorting out and damaging your CPU/MB's after mounting them.

Lednix
    Re: EVGA Z87 FTW no post, post code C 2014/03/08 13:32:28 (permalink)
    Its alright.
    I haven't heard anything from Intel since receiving the RMA so I'll try to see if there is anything there. I need to contact them anyways for troubleshooting. As far as ESD rules and thermal paste I'm fairly confident that I've done those right. I've built computers before without problems.
    The case however is the final constant. I haven't once tried a first boot with a motherboard outside of the case. Only after nothing worked have I tried a "bare bones" test and I'm getting more suspicious of the case. 
    Its also given me issues when removing motherboards where the standoff unscrewed instead of the screw making removal a real hassle.
    I looked up customer review for the case a while back and couldn't find anyone with a similar problem so I ignored the possibility for a while. I also don't know how to tell if the case is the problem as I don't see any damage on the underside of the motherboards.
    gscualo
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: EVGA Z87 FTW no post, post code C 2015/03/06 20:10:00 (permalink)
    Lednix
    Its alright.
    I haven't heard anything from Intel since receiving the RMA so I'll try to see if there is anything there. I need to contact them anyways for troubleshooting. As far as ESD rules and thermal paste I'm fairly confident that I've done those right. I've built computers before without problems.
    The case however is the final constant. I haven't once tried a first boot with a motherboard outside of the case. Only after nothing worked have I tried a "bare bones" test and I'm getting more suspicious of the case. 
    Its also given me issues when removing motherboards where the standoff unscrewed instead of the screw making removal a real hassle.
    I looked up customer review for the case a while back and couldn't find anyone with a similar problem so I ignored the possibility for a while. I also don't know how to tell if the case is the problem as I don't see any damage on the underside of the motherboards.

Hi Lednix.

I am really interested on your final workaround and fix on this issue, since I am facing the same one. I got two Asus mobos before I get a EVGA just like you, so how should I proceed from your last post?. Changing PSU, CPU, case?. All?.

I do really appreciate your experience and final resolution on how you could fix this frustrating issue finally.

Thanks in advance man.
    post edited by gscualo - 2015/03/06 20:14:07
    Lednix
    Re: EVGA Z87 FTW no post, post code C 2015/03/07 19:55:38 (permalink)
    In the end I had to replace the PSU. Although I used a new (RMA) motherboard and new CPU so I did all three at once with no interaction with any of the old parts. The case/ram had no factor. Thing is I never tested out my new PSU on any of the supposed faulty equipment for fear of continuing the "chain of disaster" and the motherboard was being RMAed before getting the PSU anyways so I didn't have it. I was told that it is possible for one to break the other and vice versa between MoBo and CPU creating the "chain of disaster" that I experiences. Although if I remember correctly I had replaced both at one point with no success (with the bad PSU) so it may have been the PSU the whole time. So I would recommend replacing all three. I think you can try just replacing the PSU but it may have already done the damage to the other 2. And I don't recommend testing the old one out on another rig because it could destroy that one too. I had tried a friends PSu on dauy one so I'm fairly confident that the mobo/CPU can't damage a PSU that way. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile