Author
uplink_svk
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 144
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2022/09/07 06:37:07 (permalink)
Greetings EVGA!

Would it be possible for Your potential future iterations of new Intel motherboards, maybe even potential upcoming Z790 to make the "piano black" plastic surface into matt black as the rest of the plastic covers are? Or even better, nearly full metallic, as Asus has on their Extreme, Rampage, Hero, etc. counterparts?

EVGA design is very peculiar indeed, but it is somewhat really pretty [besides the yellow capacitors near the sound chip, those are really "not great not terrible"].

In case of usage of pure matt black surface, You'd completely avoid surface quality degradation. E.g. I never touched the plastic surfaces on my Z690 KP and there are already 2 - 3 hair thin scratches + dust I can't really remove [when I used microfibre cloth, it scratches the surace, I tried Metro Duster already with it's humongous power of a tornado or a hurricane, but it wasn't enough to clean it].

I know that You're the only one of a very few companies in the world that poses common sense, that's why I appeal to You.

I already gave up on companies like Samsung, Denon, MSi, AsRock, etc. They're designers and/or design department is simply filled idiots, dumb sheer morons who either troll their customers, or don't give a damn. The same goes for Electrolux washing machines, etc.

Piano black surface is a design cancer of our age. The surfaces barely work in cars and even that not everywhere. Cheap plastics used to cover Your beautiful boards don't have the ability to withstand even basic cleaning with superior cleaning tools and methods. It's not Your fault, not really. You'd hypothetically literally needed to invest dozens of dollars per board to use high quality plastic that'd able to withstand manipulation of normal manner in order to avoid this type of degradation [hair thin/micro scratches, etc.ä.

That's why I strongly suggest and literally beg You to use only:
  • anodized metal surface finish parts [You already do that! ]
  • matt plastic surface finish parts [You already do that! ]
  • please don't use piano black surface plastic surface finish
  • glass, carbon fiber and other durable and resistant materials, although, I believe You can do just fine #1 designs in the world with anodized metal and matt plastic surface [see Asus Maximus Extreme boards for Intel for the past few generations for reference].
Hope You'll take my advice into Your consideration,

Your hardcore fan,

uplink  

mobo: EVGA Z690 DARK K|NGP|N, 121-AL-E699-KR | bios: 1.14 | cpu: Intel® Core™ i9-12900T Processor | vga:  Nvidia GeForce RTX™ 3090 Ti Founders Edition | ram:  DOMINATOR® PLATINUM RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 6600MHz C32 Memory Kit — Black [SKU CMT32GX5M2X6600C32] | nvme ssd: Samsung 980 PRO NVMe™ M.2 SSD 1 TB & Samsung 980 PRO NVMe™ M.2 SSD 2 TB  | psu:  Asus ROG THOR 1000P2 GAMING cooler: Asus ROG RYUJIN II 360  | monitor #1: 31.5'' 4K OLED Display with Pixel Dimming and 1M : 1 Contrast Ratio [32EP950-B] | monitor #2: LG Ergo 27UN880 | mouse: Logitech Master 3S | keyboard: Logitech MX Mechanical + MX Palm Rest
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2365
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/07 06:42:38 (permalink)
where on the z690 Dark did they use "piano black" glossy plastics?

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
Bepzinky
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 281
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/07 06:46:32 (permalink)
Well, my request would be more technical
- smaller, easier to remove backplate.
- normal socket orientation or socket moved to the left as now the backplate of for example Arctic AIO's collides with the back of the case.

But something tells me Z790 KP/C are already long finished ;)
uplink_svk
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/07 06:51:35 (permalink)
They're literally everywhere, on every detail, etc.

I can't clean those surfaces like others [which I vacuum clean with special carbon fiber anti static vacuum cleaner and Metro Duster] and it's running me nuts.

For me, as for many fellow enthusiasts a PC is a Jewel, we pamper it, take care of it, e.g. I vacuum clean my PC 2 - 3x a day [it's an open air benchtable] and I dust it with electric duster 2x a day.

Classy and KP are designed for enthusiasts and people like me, not for normies who buy 80 - 150e mobo for their AMD rig and are happy it's delivering them the performance [nothing's wrong with that].

I clean my whole rig, every day, so it's super clean, no dust, no nothing. And these surfaces cannot be cleaned and it's running me completely mad.

When You look at my graphics card and rig/fans, they're very clean compared to those spots I snapped:

The reasons are simple. Halos are anodized aluminum [expensive, but beautiful], Noctua Sterrox Chromax fans are matt, not glossy, radiator and benchtable ditto. The same goes for RTX 3090Ti FE. Even her "shiny" surfaces are matt.

Thus, no harm done there when I'm cleaning these surfaces :)
post edited by uplink_svk - 2022/09/07 07:00:05

mobo: EVGA Z690 DARK K|NGP|N, 121-AL-E699-KR | bios: 1.14 | cpu: Intel® Core™ i9-12900T Processor | vga:  Nvidia GeForce RTX™ 3090 Ti Founders Edition | ram:  DOMINATOR® PLATINUM RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 6600MHz C32 Memory Kit — Black [SKU CMT32GX5M2X6600C32] | nvme ssd: Samsung 980 PRO NVMe™ M.2 SSD 1 TB & Samsung 980 PRO NVMe™ M.2 SSD 2 TB  | psu:  Asus ROG THOR 1000P2 GAMING cooler: Asus ROG RYUJIN II 360  | monitor #1: 31.5'' 4K OLED Display with Pixel Dimming and 1M : 1 Contrast Ratio [32EP950-B] | monitor #2: LG Ergo 27UN880 | mouse: Logitech Master 3S | keyboard: Logitech MX Mechanical + MX Palm Rest
uplink_svk
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/07 07:02:12 (permalink)
BepzinkyWell, my request would be more technical
- smaller, easier to remove backplate.
- normal socket orientation or socket moved to the left as now the backplate of for example Arctic AIO's collides with the back of the case.

But something tells me Z790 KP/C are already long finished ;)
Well, these are rather ambiguous.

E.g. for me the bigger the BP the better, best if it was super heavy like on Maximus Extreme and/or made out of carbon fiber like on my X399 Xtreme.

And secondly, I really enjoy the nonstandard orientation of CPU socket + its configuration, it's really easy to upgrade, remove CPU, etc. 

B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/07 07:27:51 (permalink)
I saw the two little spots and thought "surely that's not what they're complaining about"...but you also meant all the little chamfers that they made glossy. ok thanks for clearing that up.

Have you tried q-tips or cotton swabs? don't want to use those on the matte surfaces as they'll leave more dust behind, but sometimes can be helpful for glossy stuff. Maybe dip the q-tip in some distilled water to collect the dust? Wouldn't want to use any alcohol in case it eats at the plastic a bit.

post edited by B0baganoosh - 2022/09/07 07:47:54

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
uplink_svk
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/07 08:25:52 (permalink)
B0baganooshI saw the two little spots and thought "surely that's not what they're complaining about"...but you also meant all the little chamfers that they made glossy. ok thanks for clearing that up.

Have you tried q-tips or cotton swabs? don't want to use those on the matte surfaces as they'll leave more dust behind, but sometimes can be helpful for glossy stuff. Maybe dip the q-tip in some distilled water to collect the dust? Wouldn't want to use any alcohol in case it eats at the plastic a bit.
Cought up Your message before edit 

Yeah, I do suffer from OCD, but...I see no reason whatsoever to use these glossy plastic finishes anywhere. They're not nicer, au contraire, they're ugly. One of the nicest motherboards in the world are:

https://nzxt.com/product/n7-b550

It's simple, it's cheap, it's fully matt, there's no dust catcher, no place for scartches, etc.

Secondly, very many people in the world really hate this surface, there's no single reason for it's use only to degrade quality of products and make them less sellable few minutes after they've been removed from foils.

E.g. as I was selling some soundbards, that had piano black surface and they were super scratched [eventhough I cleaned them with compressed air and microfiber cloth only], people who bought them from me noticed them and some even didn't take them.

It's a brand new [it was] SC-HTB700 which I purchased for over 780e with VAT.

Thing is, I wasn't able to sell it for mere 400 - 500e a week after it's purchase. The side You see are scratches from single wipe with microfiber cloth. I use high quality microfiber cloth [20e/piece, or 20USD/cloth, if You want].

People told me that they'll take it for 300e due to, I quote: "its surface damage and scratched."

I'm sorry, but this is super crazy. So I coughed up nearly 800e/USD for a soundbar and I can't seel it after a week? [I can't return items I purchased as a company in 14 - 30 days].

I alternate many things in a year, Fold 2, Fold 3, Tab S7+, Tab S8 Ultra, tons of soundbars, televisions, monitors, keyboards, motherboards [all of MSi Godlike, Unify X, Asus Apex, Hero, Extreme, Aorus Xtreme, Tachyon, etc.] and I don't have a thing for more than a few weeks to test it, play with it and I sell it right away.

Motherboards and stuff are quite easy to sell, cuz they have foils and I never remove them, though, not EVGA.

And this is my third reason, why I rant about this. I sell a lot of stuff, and I mean a lot.

Thus, these little cosmetic things are making it really hard for me to sell things that possess piano black sufrace finish without foil and I also feel like an idiot when I seel such a thing, because as a rule, I always sell things as good as new or even in a better state. E.g. most of the motherboards and graphics cards have lot of finger prints all over them, new ones, not used, new ones, e.g. Titan X, each piece I've had was touched all over, and it was factory sealed, every single shoe box. So I cleaned them fully, buffed them, polished them and they were literally cleaner and nicer as new.

So, that's that. I'm gonna be definitely upgrading to Z790 from EVGA, if it won't be available, I'll try Tachyon and Unify-X [no more Asus for me], so I'm gonna be getting a rid of my sweetheart Z690 KP. And guess what...people will either see on my bazaar photos that there's dust all over the piano black surface, or that it's scratched to oblivion.

I'm sorry, but no one will pay me what I paid for the board [1200e with VAT and import and everything]. If the board was in cherry and pristine state, I could as 400 - 450e for her, now if I sell her for 250 - 300e I'll be glad.

And all and everything due to dumb design decision, which makes the product look good on a render, but once You build a PC [even with gloves] with such components, they get dirty within a week and that sucks.

P.S.: Cotton swabs destroy such surfaces, when You touch this surface with alcohol, You completely obliterate it, just like I did my washing machine surface some time ago, when I wanted to clean it with microfiber cloth and some rubbing alcohol.

Before I took these photos, I removed all dust from the surface, they're completely clean and this is how they look [I have two of them, it's a 1200e/USD washing machine]

Though, I give 0 about them. It's a tool, won't be selling them anytime soon, I'm just demonstrating what happens to piano black surface when You try to clean it with microfiber and a rubbing alcohol [I know You know not to use it, I accidentally spilled some on those plastics, when I was cleaning the washing machine surface with rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth].

Oh, and distilled water just scratches the surface 
post edited by rjohnson11 - 2022/09/08 06:20:28

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31001
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/07 08:36:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby uplink_svk 2022/09/07 08:38:27

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

uplink_svk
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/07 08:38:23 (permalink)
Cool GTX
EVGA form Complaints and Suggestions

Thank You!

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31001
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/07 08:45:34 (permalink)
uplink_svk
Cool GTX
EVGA form Complaints and Suggestions

Thank You!

your

Happy to Help

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/07 09:02:18 (permalink)
I am also not a fan of glossy plastics that scratch all too easy. I'm sorry you learned the hard way about rubbing alcohol and glossy plastics. My warning was really for those who haven't made that mistake before.

I've had better luck gently using a cotton q-tip than microfiber sometimes for tight spaces, especially if it isn't a fresh microfiber cloth from a package as when you wash them sometimes they pick up other items and as soon as you set them down they can pick up debris, which can then scratch things. Worth suggesting, I thought.

I couldn't disagree more about that NZXT board though. Maybe its because I'm an EE, but seeing some of the board and the traces on the board brings me great joy. Also, I'd much prefer the metal heatsinks and metal accents than just completely covering the board in plastic. Maybe I like a more industrial or mechanical look, but I also know I'm in the minority that doesn't mind the yellow capacitors at all.

uplink_svk
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/08 06:08:43 (permalink)
B0baganooshI am also not a fan of glossy plastics that scratch all too easy. I'm sorry you learned the hard way about rubbing alcohol and glossy plastics. My warning was really for those who haven't made that mistake before.

I've had better luck gently using a cotton q-tip than microfiber sometimes for tight spaces, especially if it isn't a fresh microfiber cloth from a package as when you wash them sometimes they pick up other items and as soon as you set them down they can pick up debris, which can then scratch things. Worth suggesting, I thought.

I couldn't disagree more about that NZXT board though. Maybe its because I'm an EE, but seeing some of the board and the traces on the board brings me great joy. Also, I'd much prefer the metal heatsinks and metal accents than just completely covering the board in plastic. Maybe I like a more industrial or mechanical look, but I also know I'm in the minority that doesn't mind the yellow capacitors at all.
Hah, don't get me wrong buddy, I'm a HUGE fan of metal, and if it were up to me, the whole motherboard would be covered in anodized aluminum, or some higher grade metal :).

I love[d] my Z490, Z590 and Z690 Extreme boards. They were HUGE, chunky, just like how I love them 

On the other hand, for me it's "the more the merrier" regarding covers. I wish all boards were monolithic and had some design accents on them, etc. As long as manufacturer sticks with metal, glass [true glass, not that scratchy cheap-ass plasticky stuff] and carbon, I'm all game.

For me, the two most beautiful boards [design wise] are AMD concept [I really have super bad experience with AMD though, regarding OS stability, drivers, etc. ]

And a standard pick of my choice for generations now:

Though, Asus screwed it up, for me at least. Made Extreme worse than Apex, made Hero burn down Your house and made Apex first two batches faulty and won't exchange for new batch, eventhough they promised! 

So it's EVGA for me, all the way. I mean I really enjoy Aorus and MSI, but they all lack stability and/or ease of use. Aorus has superior HW, but not as awesome as EVGA and MSi has superior overclockability of memories [at least Z690 generation] but terrible SW and I really don't like their dragon. Their boards would be the nicest in the world for me, if there wasn't that cheesy and slushy dragon, yuck!

post edited by uplink_svk - 2022/09/08 07:42:16

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/08 06:23:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby uplink_svk 2022/09/08 07:41:43
Just a friendly reminder that swearing/cursing is not allowed on the EVGA forums even if disguised and/or removed by the forum filters. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

EVGA_Lee
  • Total Posts : 4247
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/08 10:08:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby uplink_svk 2022/09/08 16:07:18
It's going to be a bit too late in the process for those sorts of changes to be added to a board this late in the process.  Best time to offer suggestions is shortly after launch or after things have calmed down a little post-launch.

With that said, we do listen to feedback.  No, it doesn't always mean we will implement them.  But some members campaign non-stop for certain features and sometimes they make it in.  Might not be the next iteration, but sometimes the generation after.
redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/09 06:09:37 (permalink)
OP, you dust your PC 2x a day?  holy cow.  

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
uplink_svk
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/09 06:11:15 (permalink)
redteamgo
Yes I do. I have open air bench table, so it's a must for me :). And it takes less than a minute a high detailed dedusting...

redteamgo
SSC Member
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/09 06:25:59 (permalink)
uplink_svk
redteamgo
Yes I do. I have open air bench table, so it's a must for me :). And it takes less than a minute a high detailed dedusting...

if you get a good layer of dust on the glossy plastic, it will look more matte :)

MOD Rigs!!!
Braegnok
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 173
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/10 08:25:01 (permalink)
uplink_svk
redteamgo

I also use an open air wetbench,..+1 all the dust is crazy. 

Best solution I have found is the DataVac variable speed ESD Duster: https://www.amazon.com/Extra-Filters-Variable-Electronics-Multi-Use/dp/B08VWKDRPD

uplink_svk
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/10 09:09:39 (permalink)
redteamgoif you get a good layer of dust on the glossy plastic, it will look more matte :)
Touché! 
BraegnokI also use an open air wetbench,..+1 all the dust is crazy. 

Best solution I have found is the DataVac variable speed ESD Duster: https://www.amazon.com/Extra-Filters-Variable-Electronics-Multi-Use/dp/B08VWKDRPD

I use this one. But I really like the design of Yours, mainly the potentiometer 

I mean it can be pretty silent, when You regulate the rpm down to the minimum, but it's still strong, right?

post edited by uplink_svk - 2022/09/10 09:12:43

b3l13v3r
  • Total Posts : 26
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/10 10:52:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby uplink_svk 2022/09/10 11:26:45
I would love to see no piano black on gear as well.  And I also clean my rig somewhere at least a few times a week.  But like the OP... I'm just particular.  I'll be checking out those dusters too.  I've been spying some this year but those look pro.  Thanks!

redteamgo
SSC Member
Re: EVGA Z790 DARK K|NGP|N / Classy logical design request 2022/09/10 11:12:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby uplink_svk 2022/09/10 11:27:00
truthfully, I also prefer a matte/ebony black vs a piano/glossy black. piano black looks better imo but is high maintenance and imperfections/scratches are much more visible

you guys inspired me! lol

post edited by redteamgo - 2022/09/10 11:16:47

MOD Rigs!!!
Jump to: