Author
Neutro
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 425
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 11
2021/11/14 22:35:06 (permalink)
Hey guys,

Since winter and temperatures dropped i'm having a "cold boot" bug situation.

When i start my PC in the morning on the first boot my screen stays black, no uefi/bios screen displayed. Motherboard LED displays shows "3B" which translates to "Post-Memory South Bridge initialization is started" according to the MB manual and 2 red leds are lighted:

- PCIe LED for PCI-E 2. According to MB manual: "The LED will remain on when this PCIe slot detects an initialization failure in PCI-E 2."
 - PCIe LED for PCI-E 4. According to MB manual: "The LED will remain on when this PCIe slot detects an initialization failure in PCI-E 4."

In my PCIE 2 port my graphic card is plugged, in the PCI-E 4 there is nothing.

BUT! If i just let the computer like this for like 1 min, turn it off then back again the PC boots normally. If i then turn the PC off or just reboot it, it works perfectly. It only has this problem after staying off for a long time when i go to sleep. Dunno if cold temperatures in the morning play a role in this or not, but it seems it started to do this since winter came and temperatures dropped.

I didn't change anything before this happend, my CPU is a 9900k which i have put back to stock settings in case o/c was the problem but it didn't solve the problem. Also MB is running the latest bios.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

I do not work for EVGA - I just try to provide help on my spare time :)

If you require official support from EVGA please visit EVGA Service Center 

i9 9900k / EVGA Z370 FTW / EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra

2 Replies Related Threads

Neutro
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 425
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: EVGA Z370 FTW cold boot bug? 2021/11/15 12:26:52 (permalink)
    Update from today: same problem but different POST codes. I had to restart 3 times to get the PC to boot. The motherboard would hang onto these codes:

- 62 : Installation of the South Bridge Runtime Services
     - 79 : CSM initialization
     - 96 : PCI Bus Assign Resources

Looks kinda random. I've tried disabling fast boot yesterday in the bios but didn't change anything sadly.

I do not work for EVGA - I just try to provide help on my spare time :)

If you require official support from EVGA please visit EVGA Service Center 

i9 9900k / EVGA Z370 FTW / EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra

cotter32
    • Total Posts : 51
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EVGA Z370 FTW cold boot bug? 2021/11/24 22:40:33 (permalink)

Since no one is answering, and those peculiar malfunctions led me to ruminate a bit, I offer the following five
    lunatic theories in descending order of madness :|

1. Mooninites are reprogramming your CPU while you sleep .
    2. The cold, then hot is causing your MB to flex slightly, and has made one of your cards work loose in its slot .
    3. The cold computer, then warm air when you get up causes a little condensation on the circuit boards and pins .
        Just enough to make tiny shorts, and unwanted grounds .  Once it dries out it's back to normal .
    4. You have a delaminating circuit board, or capacitor .  Once warm the delamination closes and it's back to normal .
        If that's the case, then the component will continue to degrade, and ultimately fail :(
    5. You have a weak CMOS battery, and the cold stops it from working altogether, goofing up the BIOS .

... as seen from Mons Ampère

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile