EVGA Z15 keeps defaulting to rainbow pattern

Author
chumeniuk
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 176
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/03/22 08:06:42 (permalink)
I'm using this keyboard without the software and setting the LED pattern using Fn + left arrow.  However, after a period of time it resets back to the rainbow pattern.  Without using external software, how can I force the keyboard to stay as a solid color?

14 Replies Related Threads

Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8328
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: EVGA Z15 keeps defaulting to rainbow pattern 2021/03/22 09:02:02 (permalink)
    Why not install the software...set the keyboard the way you like...(make sure to apply settings, which will save to the memory on the board) and then uninstall?  My Unleash RGB is set NOT to run on Windows startup.
    I have 5 profiles set up for assorted reasons...all loaded into the memory.  I can uninstall Unleash RGB and the keyboard settings are now in the keyboard and all five profiles work.  I have different colors for each profile...
    post edited by bobmitch - 2021/03/22 09:04:33

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i RGB 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  Lian Li Lancool III; EVGA Z15 Keyboard; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

chumeniuk
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 176
    Re: EVGA Z15 keeps defaulting to rainbow pattern 2021/03/22 09:09:07 (permalink)
    It's a work laptop so nearly impossible to install software.  However, I can try the software on one of my computers and see if that helps.

EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    • Total Posts : 1026
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: EVGA Z15 keeps defaulting to rainbow pattern 2021/03/22 09:28:32 (permalink)
    chumeniuk
    It's a work laptop so nearly impossible to install software.  However, I can try the software on one of my computers and see if that helps.

I would strongly recommend connecting the keyboard to another computer that you can install Unleash RGB software as there will be firmware updates that may fix or improve the function of the keyboard. You can also adjust all your settings within Unleash RGB and apply which will save it to the keyboard and carry over to another system without the need for Unleash RGB to be running or installed. 

gameoffuture
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: EVGA Z15 keeps defaulting to rainbow pattern 2021/05/20 13:44:06 (permalink)
    bobmitch
    Why not install the software...set the keyboard the way you like...(make sure to apply settings, which will save to the memory on the board) and then uninstall?  My Unleash RGB is set NOT to run on Windows startup.
    I have 5 profiles set up for assorted reasons...all loaded into the memory.  I can uninstall Unleash RGB and the keyboard settings are now in the keyboard and all five profiles work.  I have different colors for each profile...

WHAT??? my Z15 does not remember anything I set at all if the software is not constantly running in the background... NOTHING is saved to the keyboard (and that is one of my major complaints about this keyboard)... am I mistaken? or my device is defective? As soon as the software is not running it goes back to rainbow or whatever the default on that profile is... 

Edit: My X17 mouse is also behaving like this... all the DPI settings are lost as soon as the software is not running... Forget the RGB settings on that...  If there is a fix for that, then I'll really become a huge fan of Z15 and the X17... because this is a major source of headache and heartache for me... 
    post edited by gameoffuture - 2021/05/20 13:49:56
    EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    Re: EVGA Z15 keeps defaulting to rainbow pattern 2021/05/20 13:45:55 (permalink)
    gameoffuture
    bobmitch

WHAT??? my Z15 does not remember anything I set at all if the software is not constantly running in the background... NOTHING is saved to the keyboard (and that is one of my major complaints about this keyboard)... am I mistaken? or my device is defective? As soon as the software is not running it goes back to rainbow or whatever the default on that profile is... 

Only thing that can not be saved to the keyboard is any custom lighting. 

gameoffuture
    Re: EVGA Z15 keeps defaulting to rainbow pattern 2021/05/20 13:54:54 (permalink)
    EVGA_James

Only thing that can not be saved to the keyboard is any custom lighting. 

Oh darn... that is my use-case for the RBG lighting... to color-code application and game key bindings and shortcuts... -.-" thanks for clarifying that... I guess I'll switch back to my other keyboards for that... Maybe I'll gift this keyboard... 
    Are the DPI level settings saved in the mouse? That one is really annoying... I don't care about RGB in the mouse since it has no utility for me... 
    Are there documentation on what settings are stored in the devices and what cannot be stored somewhere? 
    EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    Re: EVGA Z15 keeps defaulting to rainbow pattern 2021/05/20 13:59:02 (permalink)
    everything else can be saved to the devices except custom lighting. 
    For custom lighting Unleash needs to be running in the background. 

gameoffuture
    Re: EVGA Z15 keeps defaulting to rainbow pattern 2021/05/20 14:11:45 (permalink)
    EVGA_James
    everything else can be saved to the devices except custom lighting. 
    For custom lighting Unleash needs to be running in the background. 

I just verified this for the X17 mouse... definitely the DPI settings are not saved to the mouse... I know that because the default high DPI is something like 16k DPI or something crazy high that I cannot actually control. I set the highest DPI to be at 4500dpi for the size of my single monitor, yet as soon as I quit the application the mouse cursor starts darting across the screen really fast... so it looks like DPI profiles are not saved in the X17 either. 
    gameoffuture
    Re: EVGA Z15 keeps defaulting to rainbow pattern 2021/05/20 14:18:17 (permalink)
    OK I think I figured what was wrong... In the software I was setting the settings for Profile number 1, yet when the software closed the mouse switched to another profile. I can't tell from the LED's what profile number it was on, because I'm not sure if it is counting from top to bottom, or bottom to top... anyways, hit the profile button on the mouse till it got to one that I can control, that seems to be the settings I had set in the software... wow... I have been suffering from this since I got this... Thank you for your help. 

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA Z15 keeps defaulting to rainbow pattern 2021/05/20 14:36:28 (permalink)
    gameoffuture
    OK I think I figured what was wrong... In the software I was setting the settings for Profile number 1, yet when the software closed the mouse switched to another profile. I can't tell from the LED's what profile number it was on, because I'm not sure if it is counting from top to bottom, or bottom to top... anyways, hit the profile button on the mouse till it got to one that I can control, that seems to be the settings I had set in the software... wow... I have been suffering from this since I got this... Thank you for your help. 

It’s something you can color code all the profiles so you know which one you are on. Or you could set them then hit default after seeing which way the profiles rotate. Another idea would be set a profile for rainbow clockwise, counter clockwise, right to left, left to right and the other for the profile you want to be your gaming one. That way you can tell which profile is which.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

gameoffuture
    Re: EVGA Z15 keeps defaulting to rainbow pattern 2021/05/20 15:11:11 (permalink)
    Thank you for the suggestion. This was issue on the X17 mouse. As long as it stays on this profile so I could use it cross my computers I'm a happy camper... :) Maybe I'll change all the profiles to the way I like and it becomes a non-issue :D I really need to thank you, having solved this makes me really happy and saves me a lot of heartaches. I was really close to give up on the X17 and go back to my old Logitech G500.
    ajchai
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: EVGA Z15 keeps defaulting to rainbow pattern 2021/06/02 12:27:43 (permalink)
    i've had the same issue with mine just make sure you are on the right profile
    dagamer2020
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: EVGA Z15 keeps defaulting to rainbow pattern 2021/06/12 09:02:56 (permalink)
    Does EVGA have any intentions on letting users being able to save the keyboard's CUSTOM COLOR LIGHTING to the keyboard's onboard memory like other manufactures let you do? Its a pretty basic feature, its nice to be able to save it to onboard memory and unload the software like other manufacture's let you do, especially if you dont run windows as your main operating system.
    Airwolf24
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 202
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: EVGA Z15 keeps defaulting to rainbow pattern 2021/07/20 22:00:44 (permalink)
    gameoffuture
    Thank you for the suggestion. This was issue on the X17 mouse. As long as it stays on this profile so I could use it cross my computers I'm a happy camper... :) Maybe I'll change all the profiles to the way I like and it becomes a non-issue :D I really need to thank you, having solved this makes me really happy and saves me a lot of heartaches. I was really close to give up on the X17 and go back to my old Logitech G500.

I figure that out too, as long as I don't run the software again after I set up my custom profile on my Z15 keyboard it won't mess it up back to default after I close the software

if I want to change the custom profile I have to set the keyboard back to default then make my new custom profile

R9-5900X (PBO2, curve optimizer -15, +200MHz) 
    G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 32GB (2x16GB) 1.35v @3600MHz
    EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 12GB FTW (Nvidia Driver V536.40)
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master (Rev 1.2) (Bios: F37c)
    WD Black SN850X 4TB SSD
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 PSU
    Corsair H115i RGB Platinum
    EVGA Z15 (cherry mx brown switch mod) Keyboard
    ASUS TUF VG28UQL1A

Associate code: IFDS2OB0MO06ULW
    Affiliate Code: GK750VPSU9
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile