EVGA

EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 takes forever to start drawing more power and upclocking.

Author
BolognaBruh
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/05/14 12:24:53 (permalink)
As the title states I have an XC3 Ultra 3080 that won't quite hit the power draw target for a really long times, and sometimes seemingly not at all. I have PX1 open and it idles at what seems like the norm for these cards at 210 MHz on the core clock, and 37% power draw. The problem is, when I go into a game, sometimes it'll either take FOREVER to start drawing more power, or just not start doing it at all. It's very strange, and I know my PSU is totally fine as not only does it sometimes eventually draw enough power, but it's an EVGA 850 GA Supernova that is basically brand new (though I still ran into these issues before i upgraded my PSU). This issue is extremely irritating, as sometimes I'll find myself opening a game like overwatch and sitting in the practice range for half an hour before the card decides it wants to jump above idle clocks and power draws. Any suggestions? Also yes before you ask my PX1 is on the latest version, as well as GeForce Experience. I am imagining this is some sort of setting that needs to be changed in precision x1 but I'm not really sure, and frankly I shouldn't have to be tweaking settings just to get my card to function properly in the first place. The card is great when it works but man has this gotten old. 

Pictures attached below of settings in PX1. 

Attached Image(s)

8 Replies Related Threads

kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 takes forever to start drawing more power and upclocking. 2021/05/14 12:59:54 (permalink)
    What resolution / scaling / refresh rate are you gaming at? 

You can manually set power mode per application in the Nvidia drivers, so it will immediately switch to full power / clock curve mode when you launch the exe.  Even though my card powers up just fine (4K120 VRR) I've started setting them manually for more consistency when tabbing out or very light loads in menus etc
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/05/14 13:02:44
    BolognaBruh
    Re: EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 takes forever to start drawing more power and upclocking. 2021/05/14 13:05:04 (permalink)
    kevinc313

You can manually set power mode per application in the Nvidia drivers, so it will immediately switch to full power / clock curve mode when you launch the exe.  Even though my card powers up just fine (4K120 VRR) I've started setting them manually for more consistency when tabbing out or very light loads in menus etc

1440, 165hz, so I feel like that should be more than enough for it to quickly realize it should pop up into a higher power usage. And also just to make sure, does everything in my PX1 settings look fine? I feel like PX1 can be a bit finnicky and worry that maybe just a simple tick somewhere would make it not take so long. And also when you say in the NVIDIA drivers do you just mean in GeForce Experience, or NVIDIA control panel? Thanks a ton!
    henrickd
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 takes forever to start drawing more power and upclocking. 2021/05/14 13:37:27 (permalink)
    In NVCPL -> Manage 3D settings -> Power management mode, make sure you're at "Prefer maximum performance".
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 takes forever to start drawing more power and upclocking. 2021/05/14 13:50:11 (permalink)
    BolognaBruh
    kevinc313

1440, 165hz, so I feel like that should be more than enough for it to quickly realize it should pop up into a higher power usage. And also just to make sure, does everything in my PX1 settings look fine? I feel like PX1 can be a bit finnicky and worry that maybe just a simple tick somewhere would make it not take so long. And also when you say in the NVIDIA drivers do you just mean in GeForce Experience, or NVIDIA control panel? Thanks a ton!

Yeah what henrick said above in the main Nvidia control panel, you can either do it globally which will make the card always idle high at 1700-1800mhzish, or you can click over to the program settings tab and apply by exe.

Your res/refresh should be plenty to load the card, unless the game settings/load are so low it's not kicking over to a high load state. 

X1 looks fine, but it shouldn't have any effect on the power state imho, HOWEVER, you could have accidentally set the power to the bottom of the range (26%) and applied it, then moved the slider back to 100% and NOT applied it, that would make the card do exactly what it shows in the screen shot, as I just did it on mine.  This does not persist after closing and opening X1, it shows the power setting properly.  Apply button is usually greyed out after applying, but not after freshly opening the program.

I don't install or use Geforce Experience, many people don't because they indicate it causes more problems than it's worth.  Make sure Exp isn't doing anything funny with itself in the background as far as audio processing or weird filtering or recording etc.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/05/14 14:00:28
    BolognaBruh
    Re: EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 takes forever to start drawing more power and upclocking. 2021/05/14 14:54:42 (permalink)
    Hm 
    kevinc313
    BolognaBruh
    kevinc313

Yeah what henrick said above in the main Nvidia control panel, you can either do it globally which will make the card always idle high at 1700-1800mhzish, or you can click over to the program settings tab and apply by exe.

Your res/refresh should be plenty to load the card, unless the game settings/load are so low it's not kicking over to a high load state. 

X1 looks fine, but it shouldn't have any effect on the power state imho, HOWEVER, you could have accidentally set the power to the bottom of the range (26%) and applied it, then moved the slider back to 100% and NOT applied it, that would make the card do exactly what it shows in the screen shot, as I just did it on mine.  This does not persist after closing and opening X1, it shows the power setting properly.  Apply button is usually greyed out after applying, but not after freshly opening the program.

I don't install or use Geforce Experience, many people don't because they indicate it causes more problems than it's worth.  Make sure Exp isn't doing anything funny with itself in the background as far as audio processing or weird filtering or recording etc.

Hm, I checked my NVIDIA Control Panel and it looks like it already says prefer maximum performance. That made me think to also check out my windows power plan settings, and it as well was set to performance already. I unslid and reslid my power limit in PX1 and hit apply just to be safe and that didn't do anything for me. I also went and set a specific prefer high performance for a game, and launched it and nothing changed. One thing to also note is that for whatever reason whenever I close my PX1 or haven't launched it my fans go on full blast immediately for some reason. 
    henrickd
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 takes forever to start drawing more power and upclocking. 2021/05/14 15:46:24 (permalink)
    BolognaBruh
    Hm 
    kevinc313
    BolognaBruh
    kevinc313

Hm, I checked my NVIDIA Control Panel and it looks like it already says prefer maximum performance. That made me think to also check out my windows power plan settings, and it as well was set to performance already. I unslid and reslid my power limit in PX1 and hit apply just to be safe and that didn't do anything for me. I also went and set a specific prefer high performance for a game, and launched it and nothing changed. One thing to also note is that for whatever reason whenever I close my PX1 or haven't launched it my fans go on full blast immediately for some reason. 

Worst comes to worst, if you think the issue is caused by PX1, you could close/uninstall it and use MSI Afterburner instead (although watch out for the fake malware link that's floating around). I personally tried PX1 and couldn't make heads or tails of the UI so I went back to AB.
    Also, it could be pertinent for you run GPU-Z and log the "Perfcap reason" while you're in game and it takes half an hour to ramp up clocks. You'd see if you're limited by power, etc.
    BolognaBruh
    Re: EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 takes forever to start drawing more power and upclocking. 2021/05/14 15:52:35 (permalink)
    henrickd
    BolognaBruh
    Hm 
    kevinc313
    BolognaBruh
    kevinc313

Worst comes to worst, if you think the issue is caused by PX1, you could close/uninstall it and use MSI Afterburner instead (although watch out for the fake malware link that's floating around). I personally tried PX1 and couldn't make heads or tails of the UI so I went back to AB.
    Also, it could be pertinent for you run GPU-Z and log the "Perfcap reason" while you're in game and it takes half an hour to ramp up clocks. You'd see if you're limited by power, etc.

Well oddly enough I just kind of opened GeForce experience, and then it decided to start working right. I will give an update after I turn off my pc and turn it back on tomorrow morning. 
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 takes forever to start drawing more power and upclocking. 2021/05/14 17:07:56 (permalink)
    BolognaBruh
    henrickd
    BolognaBruh

Well oddly enough I just kind of opened GeForce experience, and then it decided to start working right. I will give an update after I turn off my pc and turn it back on tomorrow morning. 

Interesting.  Like I said I don't use GE, maybe there is a power profile in there that is conflicting.  If global "prefer maximum performance" is set and working the idle clock will definitely go way up.  I screen capped my setting for RDR2 and attached it below, just to be abundantly clear.

If it's been a while and you get desperate, maybe you can do a fresh windows install, with no GE.  Not sure about GE removal process.

post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/05/14 18:41:14

Attached Image(s)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile