EVGA X99 Micro 2 build--need cooling advice

Author
DiGiTaLdAzE
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 136
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2019/12/18 09:52:20 (permalink)
I am in the process of building a system with an EVGA X99 Micro 2 board. I am unsure what to choose as a CPU cooler at this point. This board is very limited in the choice of air coolers if you need to use the first PCIe slot, which in my case I do as I am planning to use two GTX 970s that I am moving from my current X58 rig. The problem is that most air coolers will overhang the top card slot rendering it unavailable for use. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 BE will work according to EVGA tech support, but is a VERY close fit with only a couple of mm. clearance.
So, I am now considering to use an AIO cooler--the EVGA CL24, which also appeals to me for the improved aesthetics. I have already ordered an EVGA DG75 case. With this board and case it is apparently not possible to mount the radiator on the CL24 in the top of the case--at least one EVGA rep has indicated that in that configuration it will be blocked by the heat sink at the top of the board. The other option would be to mount the rad in the front of the case with the two fans on the opposite side of the radiator from default (opposite side from the lines), having them setup as intake fans. One EVGA rep has stated that this should offer adequate cooling (although he suggested using 4 fans in a push-pull setup--I would rather not incur that added expense, and noise level).  But, here is one of my concerns--watching a YouTube video review of the CL24, it is quite loud if the fans are running at medium or high speed. At low speed the noise level is quite good. So, I am wondering if with the above mentioned setup with just two fans, if the fans would have to be running at high speed much of the time to keep temps acceptable, and thereby leading to a continuously noisy machine. 
I would likely have 2 or 3 120 mm. fans mounted at the top as exhaust. My hardware would be as follows.:
EVGA DG75 case--EVGA X99 Micro 2--i7-5930K--EVGA SSC GTX 970 x 2 sli--16 GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 Mhz ram--Seagate Firecuda 2.5 inch sshd--2 TB HDD--Crcial (or other) M.2 500 GB ssd. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggested alternate setup any forum users might provide.
post edited by DiGiTaLdAzE - 2019/12/18 09:55:50

3 Replies Related Threads

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: EVGA X99 Micro 2 build--need cooling advice 2019/12/18 10:08:42 (permalink)
    DiGiTaLdAzE
    I am in the process of building a system with an EVGA X99 Micro 2 board. I am unsure what to choose as a CPU cooler at this point. This board is very limited in the choice of air coolers if you need to use the first PCIe slot, which in my case I do as I am planning to use two GTX 970s that I am moving from my current X58 rig. The problem is that most air coolers will overhang the top card slot rendering it unavailable for use. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 BE will work according to EVGA tech support, but is a VERY close fit with only a couple of mm. clearance.
    So, I am now considering to use an AIO cooler--the EVGA CL24, which also appeals to me for the improved aesthetics. I have already ordered an EVGA DG75 case. With this board and case it is apparently not possible to mount the radiator on the CL24 in the top of the case--at least one EVGA rep has indicated that in that configuration it will be blocked by the heat sink at the top of the board. The other option would be to mount the rad in the front of the case with the two fans on the opposite side of the radiator from default (opposite side from the lines), having them setup as intake fans. One EVGA rep has stated that this should offer adequate cooling (although he suggested using 4 fans in a push-pull setup--I would rather not incur that added expense, and noise level).  But, here is one of my concerns--watching a YouTube video review of the CL24, it is quite loud if the fans are running at medium or high speed. At low speed the noise level is quite good. So, I am wondering if with the above mentioned setup with just two fans, if the fans would have to be running at high speed much of the time to keep temps acceptable, and thereby leading to a continuously noisy machine. 
    I would likely have 2 or 3 120 mm. fans mounted at the top as exhaust. My hardware would be as follows.:
    EVGA DG75 case--EVGA X99 Micro 2--i7-5930K--EVGA SSC GTX 970 x 2 sli--16 GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 Mhz ram--Seagate Firecuda 2.5 inch sshd--2 TB HDD--Crcial (or other) M.2 500 GB ssd. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggested alternate setup any forum users might provide.

Push pull is really ideal and will get you much better temps not only when maxed out but when you are just surfing and can run them low. The only time your going to run them fast is when your gaming or benching. Maybe cancel the Evga case order if possible and do a little more research into full tower cases. You def dont want to rush decisions and half... butt it cause it will only cause you problems, money, time, and youll end up doing all over again.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    DiGiTaLdAzE
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 136
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: EVGA X99 Micro 2 build--need cooling advice 2019/12/18 18:31:37 (permalink)
    wmmills--I just got home many hours after my post--thanks for your reply. I cannot cancel the EVGA case, as it has shipped. It would be a headache to send back--expensive shipping, and I ordered it from the U.S., but I am in Canada. I cannot afford to by another case. I could do what the EVGA tech advised by mounting two additional fans to the CL24 (if needed--so 4 total in push/pull) with the rad mounted on the front panel of the DG75. When you said Push/pull is ideal were you meaning in that configuration? I would have to buy 2 additional fans, and an internal fan controller, as there are only 3 fan headers on the X99 Micro 2 (besides the CPU fan header). So, I could set the CL24 in the front with 4 fans push/pull, as many as 3 in the top as exhaust, and the one in the back as exhaust also. I would by quality fans like the Noctua NF-P12. What do you think re cooling, and noise level? Thanks for any further thoughts you may have.
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: EVGA X99 Micro 2 build--need cooling advice 2019/12/19 06:28:46 (permalink)
    Yes, push/pull means the first fan pushes air through the heatsink fins and then you put one on the back of the heatsink to help pull that air through faster, works great. If you have to you can buy a 3 pin fan splitter cable and run two fans off the one header. Heres a example of a cable thats setup to run four other fans off the one cable that goes to the mobo header. https://modmymods.com/phobya-3-pin-fan-to-4x-3-pin-fan-breakout-cable-60cm-uv-red-81041.html   Of course, you can look around and get whatever config you want, but i wouldnt run more than 4 NORMAL fans off one header. Dont try running Delta fans like that. Noise really wont be a issue at idle cause you can set them up to run slow, but if you do any gaming, benching etc.... either you will ramp them up to 80% or they will do it themselves, depending on how you set it up and that may be a issue for you but frankl;y id rather have my expensive pc equipment running cool and reliably for the little bit of noise they may produce than ruin things out of the need for quiet. Thats something that your going to have to decide yourself.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile