EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 26
Author
Luigi408
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 331
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 18:46:36 (permalink)
Dejanh, how similar are the Asus, Gigabyte, and EVGA bios? If they are very similar then wouldn't it be easy to "copy" eachother bios? I don't know ANYTHING about code and stuff like that but I'm just wondering. If Asus takes out a fix with their next bios update then wouldn't it be easy to compare it to Evga to see the difference?

Thanks

P.S. Thanks Jacob for answering. I really hope you guys can find the fixes for the bugs you mentioned.
Topboy007
  • Total Posts : 65
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 22:54:49 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF

Here are some of the comments to the questions/concerns. I will continue to update this as I have more info:

Here are a few responses to some of the questions/concerns, I will continue to update this as I have more information.

1. Broken C6 and HPET causing high DPC and ISR latencies.  We are investigating this.
2. S3 mode not always wakeup monitor, after wakeup, fans do not change rpm in smart mode. Need more details here, many factors can impact S3 resume, including bclock, PCI/PCI-E devices, etc.
3. Double pump issue when resetting CMOS. This is normal to reset the clockgen.
4. Speedstep : downclock CPU Mhz is OK but CPU vCore doesn't change. Looking into this.
5. Double-pump/hard reset with Intel Virtualisation enabled in the BIOS. This is expected when VT is enabled.
6. Intel RAID ROM Needs updating to latest ROM. If not possible because of BIOS size, replace bios chip for larger size and send to customers. BIOS size is the wall we have hit now, but we continue to look into alternate solutions.
7. Marvell Sata 3 Bios needs updating to latest to fix RAID & NON RAID speed issues. We are looking into this.
8. JMicron ROM needs updating to latest ROM. We are looking into this.
9. Phoenix ACHI ROM needs updating to latest if available. We are looking into this.

Hi Jacob

Thanks for the update and we look forward to the continuous updates that will follow.

I asked another important question in the original message that has not been answered.

There is also a feeling that the recently released E770 X58 Classified 3 board is now seen by EVGA as End of Life and that it will NOT be receiving future updates. Please can you comment on this theory with an official EVGA statement.

Please could we have an official statement on this?

Many thanks again

Topboy

Intel Core i7 980x Cooled with Corsair H70
6Gb Corsair Dominator 2000Mhz GT DDR3
EVGA X58 Classified 3 E770 
3 EVGA GTX 580 SC in 3 way SLI
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Corsair Obsidian 800D Case 
3 Acer GD245HQ 3D Vision Ready in 3 way surround with Nvidia 3D Vision
No_Limit
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 120
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/04 23:21:33 (permalink)
Xtrem

4. Speedstep : downclock CPU Mhz is OK but CPU vCore doesn't change
My voltage drops to 1.00 volts when it downclocks to 2400 Mhz, I don't see a problem here

Classified 3 ????
http://forums.evga.com/fb.ashx?m=833566
mipko
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 200
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/05 04:03:30 (permalink)
We react passionate because we care. I don't know any other brand in PC arena other than EVGA that has such loyal consumer group.
It would be very unwise to loose such ppl by being ignorant for their requests.
Anyway, if all of us participating on this forum go for another brand - it won't kill EVGA instantly. However, it will ruin the reputation for very long time.
It is enough to post links to this threads on three forums in my country and a lot of ppl would start rethinking their picture about EVGA.
So, EVGA do what you can & want regarding X58 MB BIOS updates, EOL, etc.. It is your business not mine, I'm "just" holding the wallet ;) 
Having hardcore consumers being bitter is not good for any company. 
This is nothing personal against JacobF or other EVGA employees involved on this forums - on the contrary they are the ONLY bright spot in this unpleasant story.
Jacob, thank you for all your personal efforts and time devoted to this community. I hope EVGA management will recognize this.

Now, update intel RAID ROM :)

M.

i7 920 @3.6GHz w/HT 
Megahalems NFP-14 push/pull 
12GB Mushkin Redline 1600MHz (7-7-6-18-1) @ 1.53V
EVGA E760
2 x EVGA GTX 580  + EVGA GTX 285 Classified
2 x Kingston SSD SNVP325-S2/128 - RAID 0
ASUS Xonar Essence STX + AKG K272
Lian Li 2120
Antec HCP 1200
martigen
  • Total Posts : 22
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/05 05:11:28 (permalink)
>EVGA_JacobF

Firstly, thanks for jumping in Jacob and at least letting us know EVGA is looking at these issues. It is much appreciated.

Secondly:
> 5. Double-pump/hard reset with Intel Virtualisation enabled in the BIOS. This is expected when VT is enabled. 

No, this is not expected. No other X58 motherboard on the market does this, nor even is there any technical reason why this should occur. Whoever told you this is unfortunately talking out of their rear end.

Please fix this.

It's likely a very simple fix to do, too -- but as your customers we don't have access to the same tools and documentation you do.

EDIT: Just to be clear and in case there's some confusion (please pass on to the mobo team Jacob): Double-pump/hard reset with VT enabled exiting the BIOS is not a problem. One can expect some changes to prompt a hard reset when BIOS settings have changed. The issue is when rebooting (soft reset) by selecting for example 'Reboot' in Windows or Linux. Usually a soft-reset occurs as it should, but with VT enabled a hard-reset (powers off/on) occurs instead. This shouldn't happen (again, no other motherboards suffer this issue with VT enabled) and is clearly an oversight of some sort in the setup of the EVGA version of the BIOS.

post edited by martigen - 2011/02/05 05:31:48
zalbard
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 194
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/05 05:40:16 (permalink)
martigenEDIT: Just to be clear and in case there's some confusion (please pass on to the mobo team Jacob): Double-pump/hard reset with VT enabled exiting the BIOS is not a problem. One can expect some changes to prompt a hard reset when BIOS settings have changed. The issue is when rebooting (soft reset) by selecting for example 'Reboot' in Windows or Linux. Usually a soft-reset occurs as it should, but with VT enabled a hard-reset (powers off/on) occurs instead. This shouldn't happen (again, no other motherboards suffer this issue with VT enabled) and is clearly an oversight of some sort in the setup of the EVGA version of the BIOS.

Yep, that's clearly not normal and needs addressing...
Good explanation, BTW.
Alucard666
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6164
  • Ribbons : 12
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/05 07:03:11 (permalink)
zalbard

martigenEDIT: Just to be clear and in case there's some confusion (please pass on to the mobo team Jacob): Double-pump/hard reset with VT enabled exiting the BIOS is not a problem. One can expect some changes to prompt a hard reset when BIOS settings have changed. The issue is when rebooting (soft reset) by selecting for example 'Reboot' in Windows or Linux. Usually a soft-reset occurs as it should, but with VT enabled a hard-reset (powers off/on) occurs instead. This shouldn't happen (again, no other motherboards suffer this issue with VT enabled) and is clearly an oversight of some sort in the setup of the EVGA version of the BIOS.

Good explanation, BTW.

+1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB Crucial Ballistix PRO RGB 3600mhz| ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC | ASUS X570i STRIX | 2TB Sabrent Rockit M.2 SSD| NZXT H1 w Ghost Sheets Mesh Front | Noctua 140mm & 2 40mm | Samsung Odyssey G7 32" | Logitech G Pro Wireless | Logitech G915 | SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless | Logitech G560 RGB Speakers |
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6681
  • Ribbons : 27
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/05 07:52:09 (permalink)
martigen

>EVGA_JacobF

Firstly, thanks for jumping in Jacob and at least letting us know EVGA is looking at these issues. It is much appreciated.

Secondly:
> 5. Double-pump/hard reset with Intel Virtualisation enabled in the BIOS. This is expected when VT is enabled. 

No, this is not expected. No other X58 motherboard on the market does this, nor even is there any technical reason why this should occur. Whoever told you this is unfortunately talking out of their rear end.

Please fix this.

It's likely a very simple fix to do, too -- but as your customers we don't have access to the same tools and documentation you do.

EDIT: Just to be clear and in case there's some confusion (please pass on to the mobo team Jacob): Double-pump/hard reset with VT enabled exiting the BIOS is not a problem. One can expect some changes to prompt a hard reset when BIOS settings have changed. The issue is when rebooting (soft reset) by selecting for example 'Reboot' in Windows or Linux. Usually a soft-reset occurs as it should, but with VT enabled a hard-reset (powers off/on) occurs instead. This shouldn't happen (again, no other motherboards suffer this issue with VT enabled) and is clearly an oversight of some sort in the setup of the EVGA version of the BIOS.

My 762 never does that using reset from inside windows 7 Pro 64..  I should know as i'm constantly resetting it cause of BSODs while overclocking too far.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
Tazzi
  • Total Posts : 30
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/05 09:25:20 (permalink)
When this Firmware flashes the RAID ROM, I won't lose my RAID1 Array (OS) will I?

Taskforce
  • Total Posts : 68
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/05 09:26:27 (permalink)
Well release a bigger bios chip and be done with it, intel raid ain't the only thing that needs fixing, fan controller doesn't work properly plus need more features like setting shut down on max temp, even my old Asus Maximus had this along with others, you cant even fit EVGA logo due to size limitation... that's pitiful!
loveha
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10497
  • Ribbons : 65
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/05 09:47:23 (permalink)
Tazzi

When this Firmware flashes the RAID ROM, I won't lose my RAID1 Array (OS) will I?

You are updating the BIOS, that's all. You just need to go back and select RAID for your drives in the BIOS and you are good.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
HRPuffnstuff
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1321
  • Ribbons : 4
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/05 09:54:01 (permalink)
I've been a loyal evga buyer for the past few years however the last two pc's I build were based on asus mb's.  When it comes time to replace my x58 system I'm going to take a long hard look at what is available before I buy my parts.

MSI MEG Z790 ACE, Intel i9 13900k, G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32gb 6600, ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 420 ARGB in push/pull, Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, EVGA Nu Audio, Samsung 990 & 980 Pro's, WD SN850X & Black hdd, EVGA Supernova 1300 G2, Windows 11 Professional, Thermaltake Level 20 XT w/Antec Prizm X 120mm argb fans

dejanh
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1553
  • Ribbons : 3
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/05 09:59:33 (permalink)
lcabezas
Dejanh, how similar are the Asus, Gigabyte, and EVGA bios? If they are very similar then wouldn't it be easy to "copy" eachother bios? I don't know ANYTHING about code and stuff like that but I'm just wondering. If Asus takes out a fix with their next bios update then wouldn't it be easy to compare it to Evga to see the difference?

Thanks

P.S. Thanks Jacob for answering. I really hope you guys can find the fixes for the bugs you mentioned.

Quite different I'm afraid for somebody who has only makeshift tools and understanding.  I have no ability to actually view the individual modules in anything but HEX and disassembled Assembly code (very confusing) making it basically impossible to trace anything down.  Adding to it, I have no idea where I should be looking even as I am not certain what is in fact responsible for invoking the Intel RAID option ROM.  I have asked this question several times, directly to Jacob and Shannon, but I did not get an answer...not sure why they do not want to give this information.  It could be that Taiwan is not giving it to them and that they just don't know.

Anyway, I already sent copies of working Gigabyte X58 Phoenix-Award 6.00PG BIOS (same as EVGA X58 boards) with Intel RAID option ROM larger than 64K so that they can hopefully try to emulate what Gigabyte has done to overcome this problem.  However, I am not sure that they have actually looked at it.

I just wish somebody could tell me what actually invokes the ROM to execute, which module, so that I can maybe trace backwards and possibly identify the differences/issues.

Crash Override
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/06 04:14:27 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF"We are investigating this", "Need more details here, many factors can impact ...", "This is normal ...", "Looking into this", "This is expected ...", "we continue to look into alternate solutions", "We are looking into this"
are hollow meaningless words coming from a PR rep, they are sales talk specifically crafted and designed to make the customers THINK that the reported problems/issues are being dealt with while, in fact, nothing is being done about it and everything stays like it was.

vulcZIt's crazy how quickly loyal customers will turn on ya... 

Thanks for the hard work EVGA <3
It's even more crazy to see how quickly some loyal customers fall for standard PR crap to appease the customer base.
Telling things like "we are investigating this" or "we are looking into this" hardly classifies as "hard work" where I live.

If evga is REALLY taking action to do something about these issues then why don't they post detailed - regularly (if possible : daily) updated - progress reports so that we, the customer base, can actually see what's being done about the problems we report ???
Some of these issues/problems have been reported OVER A YEAR AGO (cfr. all previous BIOS update threads for more info) and are still unresolved. Some of these issues have been correctly resolved by the competition, or even resolved by customers (like dejanh : see this very own thread for details), yet evga PR reps ignorantly insist on telling us that they can't be resolved. It seems like evga's stance of "looking into things" resembles "vertical archiving" (i.e. the "throw it in the trash bin and forget about it"-approach) and telling us lies to soothe our minds (because they don't care because they got our money for these products already).

WE WANT TO SEE PROOF, NOT HOLLOW MEANINGLESS WORDS.
mipko
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 200
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/06 04:33:12 (permalink)
customer--

i7 920 @3.6GHz w/HT 
Megahalems NFP-14 push/pull 
12GB Mushkin Redline 1600MHz (7-7-6-18-1) @ 1.53V
EVGA E760
2 x EVGA GTX 580  + EVGA GTX 285 Classified
2 x Kingston SSD SNVP325-S2/128 - RAID 0
ASUS Xonar Essence STX + AKG K272
Lian Li 2120
Antec HCP 1200
lancelot7519
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/06 06:03:16 (permalink)
I am new to the boards, but I have owned the X58 SLI board pretty much as soon as it came out. I have to say, I have had more problems with this board then any other. After reading this thread, it looks to be it could be bios related. I installed a couple of 2 TB drives and the BIOS takes forever to load and then the Intel ROM hangs forever. Been a total nightmare with this board.

Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Rev. 2.0 BIOS FD |  i7 920 |  CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX | Cooler Master V8 | Cooler Master HAF X | 12GB The Patriot Viper Xtreme Triple Channel Memory | Intel 120GB X25-M SSD | EVGA GTX 470 | Windows 7 x64 

loveha
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10497
  • Ribbons : 65
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/06 06:18:00 (permalink)
Crash Override

EVGA_JacobF"We are investigating this", "Need more details here, many factors can impact ...", "This is normal ...", "Looking into this", "This is expected ...", "we continue to look into alternate solutions", "We are looking into this"
are hollow meaningless words coming from a PR rep, they are sales talk specifically crafted and designed to make the customers THINK that the reported problems/issues are being dealt with while, in fact, nothing is being done about it and everything stays like it was.

vulcZIt's crazy how quickly loyal customers will turn on ya... 

Thanks for the hard work EVGA <3
It's even more crazy to see how quickly some loyal customers fall for standard PR crap to appease the customer base.
Telling things like "we are investigating this" or "we are looking into this" hardly classifies as "hard work" where I live.

If evga is REALLY taking action to do something about these issues then why don't they post detailed - regularly (if possible : daily) updated - progress reports so that we, the customer base, can actually see what's being done about the problems we report ???
Some of these issues/problems have been reported OVER A YEAR AGO (cfr. all previous BIOS update threads for more info) and are still unresolved. Some of these issues have been correctly resolved by the competition, or even resolved by customers (like dejanh : see this very own thread for details), yet evga PR reps ignorantly insist on telling us that they can't be resolved. It seems like evga's stance of "looking into things" resembles "vertical archiving" (i.e. the "throw it in the trash bin and forget about it"-approach) and telling us lies to soothe our minds (because they don't care because they got our money for these products already).

WE WANT TO SEE PROOF, NOT HOLLOW MEANINGLESS WORDS.

+1

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
Rgallant
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 605
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/06 06:57:28 (permalink)
lancelot7519

I am new to the boards, but I have owned the X58 SLI board pretty much as soon as it came out. I have to say, I have had more problems with this board then any other. After reading this thread, it looks to be it could be bios related. I installed a couple of 2 TB drives and the BIOS takes forever to load and then the Intel ROM hangs forever. Been a total nightmare with this board.

-no details -  just rant , nice first post ,why not take it to the mb section not the bios 78 section. as bios 78 just came out I doubt it's been your 1.4year problem.

3770k [KL370]|| 3xMCR320[basement] || ek bay res|| 655x2 ek-tops || 9xSFF21F || Vl4n
MVF WC || Evga GTX 780 sc 941 sli EK block,s
Sam 256gb 840 Pro|| HAF 932 || 8 gb Tridents 2400
W7HP-64 || 27"A850D || AX1200w || G15,G13,G500s
SB-Z -analog >Yamaha 765 AVR, 4x PSB alpha b1 ,1 x PSB alpha C1 ,10" sub
Shockjockey
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4928
  • Ribbons : 18
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/06 08:08:52 (permalink)
I am glad some people shed some light on things.I always assumed that when there was a bios update everything was updated to the latest version.Sorry EVGA but I will have to consider this on my next build.I am very disappointed.

Asus Sabertooth x99
5930k (4.5ghz)
16gb Corsair DDR4 (3000)
EVGA 1000w psu
Zotac 980ti x 2
Samsung 850 pro 500 SSD
HPLP3065 30in Monitor 2560x1600
RonSMeyer
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/06 08:43:07 (permalink)
Alucard666

zalbard

Good explanation, BTW.

+1

+2 
It kinda makes you wonder if they even use their own motherboards on their own systems. Like, they can't see this happening themselves? You hit restart in Windows and the whole system powers off and powers back on. That's normal and expected? If that's "expected", WHY is that expected if no other MB does it?

post edited by RonSMeyer - 2011/02/06 10:59:25
kingofsorrow
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1904
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/06 13:57:13 (permalink)
Having read the x58 forum thourouly I remembered why I didn't choose evga when I was initially building the x58 chipset based system and I also got an impression that mr.Jacob is the only person who is still working at evga right now... Oh, and the e762 I ordered arrived last week and it has a bent pin ..... An expected start, honestly speaking.

i7 990x@ 4.41Ghz 1.375v | Evga Classified E762 | 12Gb CM12GX3M3A2000C9 | GeForce Titan X SLi | HAF-X | ST1500

Alucard666
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/06 17:28:25 (permalink)
kingofsorrow

Having read the x58 forum thourouly I remembered why I didn't choose evga when I was initially building the x58 chipset based system and I also got an impression that mr.Jacob is the only person who is still working at evga right now... Oh, and the e762 I ordered arrived last week and it has a bent pin ..... An expected start, honestly speaking.

That's a tad harsh....

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB Crucial Ballistix PRO RGB 3600mhz| ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC | ASUS X570i STRIX | 2TB Sabrent Rockit M.2 SSD| NZXT H1 w Ghost Sheets Mesh Front | Noctua 140mm & 2 40mm | Samsung Odyssey G7 32" | Logitech G Pro Wireless | Logitech G915 | SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless | Logitech G560 RGB Speakers |
5thduke
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3343
  • Ribbons : 3
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/06 21:02:23 (permalink)
i am  monitoring  this page on the hour every hour looking for a magic 79 number
post edited by 5thduke - 2011/02/06 21:10:38

never attempt to remove a fly from your friends head with a meat cleaver .  

Alucard666
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/06 22:46:31 (permalink)
5thduke

i am  monitoring  this page on the hour every hour looking for a magic 79 number

+1

I fear it may be a long long wait however....

MvdL79
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 550
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/06 23:39:59 (permalink)
We are looking into it

equals
640K ought to be enough for anybody

EVGA used to be a great company (I've been a customer since early 2005). But after 2017 it went completely downhill. EVGA doesn't treat customers as customers, but as complete idiots! I used to own over 30 EVGA products (videocards, motherboards, PSU's and so on). Not anymore. #evga #pathetic
abecker
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 160
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/07 05:41:15 (permalink)
I like to give a good complaint every once in a while, but I haven't run into any of the issues besides the VT double pump.

Slightly annoying, but not the end of the world.

Obsidian 800d
i7 980X @ 3.87 GHz - 1.2375V
EVGA x58 Classified3 (E770)
Gskill 24GB 9/9/9/24 1333 
EVGA GTX 580 SC/BlackOps SLI 822/1644/2046 
Corsair AX1200
OCZ Vertex2 120GB - Boot
Seagate Barracuda 2TB - RAID5

ezetsnd
  • Total Posts : 34
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/07 07:41:57 (permalink)
Finally got BIOS 78 working, was causing my PC to freeze trying to go into the BIOS screen. Installed older BIOS, Cleared CMOS, reset to defaults, installed BIOS 78, cleared CMOS, set my OC again, now it works just fine. Don't know what the original problem was but its fixed now.

78 has a much faster start up and shut down time. Brought my WEI score from 7.8 to 7.9 even without installing Intel RST drivers. Still afraid to try RST 10.1, last time I installed it with an older BIOS it would just hang on the windows loading screen and I couldn't even do a restore. I hope we get this latest RAID OROM, if going from 8.0 to 8.5 makes this big a difference then I want to see what switching to 10.1 will do.

Core I7 3930k 4.4 @ 1.3v Corsair H100i Delta fans
16gb Samsung low pro DDR3 1.35v
eVGA X79 FTW
eVGA GTX Titan SC stock
Antec HC1200 pro
2 Samsung 830 128gb Raid 0
Creative SB Titanium HD
Antec 1200 case
martigen
  • Total Posts : 22
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/07 07:47:40 (permalink)
abecker 

I like to give a good complaint every once in a while, but I haven't run into any of the issues besides the VT double pump. 

Slightly annoying, but not the end of the world. 

No, just the longevity of your hardware :)

And I don't expect to buy a prestige product like EVGA and have annoyance or risk of hardware damage as part of the experience. If that's the what EVGA stands for, and had I known this, I would have bought a competitor's product.

In all honesty because I do use VT and reboot frequently, I really would have gone with my other close choice in Gigabyte had I known of this bug. It's that important. The irony is that when I first discovered it I was chuffed I had chosen EVGA saying to myself "Oh that'll be fixed in the next BIOS update" because this was EVGA, the perennial cream of the professional crop, and a simple bug like this -- that no other X58 board on the market suffers -- was going to get squashed quicksmart.

And so I dutifully registered my product. And I joined the forums. And I discovered that no, EVGA isn't at the cutting edge, doesn't appear to be interested in honoring its product, and that the VT bug has been reported in previous BIOS threads and still hasn't been fixed yet. Maybe I should send a copy of the EVGA BIOS to Gigabyte and ask them for help? It would certainly make a newsworthy story if they came back with a fixed BIOS for a competitor's board, cementing their brand at the expense of EVGAs.

post edited by martigen - 2011/02/07 07:49:42
Arctucas
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1026
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/07 07:54:39 (permalink)
martigen
<SNIP>
It would certainly make a newsworthy story if they came back with a fixed BIOS for a competitor's board, cementing their brand at the expense of EVGAs.

That would be EPIC!

DO IT!

MB: eVGA Z170 Classified K
CPU: i7-6700K
RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZ
GPU: eVGA GTX970SSC
HDD: 4xSamsung 830 RAID 0
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Cooling: D5, PA140.3, XSPC dual bay res, HK 3.0
EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 16946
  • Ribbons : 26
Re:EVGA X58 Motherboards - BIOS 78 Released 2011/02/07 13:53:58 (permalink)
Well if you guys remember with VT, in BIOS 49 we removed the shutdown when VT was enabled behavior. This did work for some, however, we found that in some cases VT does not work properly so we reverted to the shutdown with VT.

Perhaps in the future we can have two versions, VT shutdown and non VT shutdown.

I am sorry we have already exhausted all other workarounds, and this is the final outcome.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 26
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile