EVGA

EVGA X17 Mouse questions

Author
Timtee
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2023/01/19 13:37:21 (permalink)
I post this wanting to ask some questions of anyone with either same or similar hardware as I. And that is... For one, is there a way to make the X17 mouse not consume as much of the cpu's processing power as it does by default, and second off... Is there any particular reason why it hasn't exactly been optimized for older cpus such as the AMD FX family of CPUs, despite... how horrid in performance they can be, I would still like to be able to use my mouse because well... to put it simply, the other mouse I have the option of using, will likely end up frying my motherboard partially, and I don't want that as I don't have the money to spare getting new parts because some faulty mouse fried the last parts i had.

I would be greatly pleased to have any kind of answer regarding how to maybe get this mouse running correctly on my PC with as minimal lag to games as possible. Besides, from what I can gather, this mouse has been problematic to begin with anyways with consuming too many resources from the looks of it anyways from what others have said several years ago, and still seems to hold true.

7 Replies Related Threads

EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    • Total Posts : 1026
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: EVGA X17 Mouse questions 2023/01/19 14:40:02 (permalink)
    Where/how are you seeing the mouse is consuming CPU resources. The likely hood off a mouse "frying" a motherboard's USB port is extremely unlikely. It would help to provide exact details as to what issues you are having. 

Timtee
    Re: EVGA X17 Mouse questions 2023/01/19 16:17:16 (permalink)
    My issue mostly relies on the fact that, AMD FX series generally speaking lacks the performance to run both whatever the mouse internally does to link itself to the cpu and use some of it's resources, and also games or applications that rely on the cpu as well. As for the mouse that could fry my motherboard... Well it's a cheap mouse from like china or whatever. For some reason the "chrome" plated plastic is connected directly onto one of the usb lines to the usb controller itself. Meaning if it shocks me, and finds it's path to ground where it could go back to the usb controller... well, bam, motherboard gone. And this is also because of the fact that if it did that, it'd take out more than just the usb controller chip.

Anyways, put simply, My x17 uses half my cpu's resources even on a polling rate of 125, the lowest it'll go. Effectively, I need some way to switch whatever it is that the x17 has that uses the cpu itself, off completely. Because then I could shove the polling rate back up proper and not worry about lag. Since with the chinesium mouse, I think it might've had a decent polling rate. But it had nothing exactly special on it like the x17. Only just the typical DPI button, a button that triple clicks(which i can have on the x17 probably. Would have to look deeper into that on the software to see if i can.) and also the obvious back and forward page buttons. Also there was two other buttons. One that did the command that takes you to the desktop immediately... and the other i forget it's action. But anyways... Even then, the mouse itself only went up to like 4800 dpi. compared to the x17's 16000(which i still find funny and absurd to have on a mouse.)

Edit: If you like, I could also provide you with the specs of my system's hardware and whatnot. Whatever you need to know in order to help me properly.
    post edited by Timtee - 2023/01/19 16:18:40
    EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    Re: EVGA X17 Mouse questions 2023/01/19 16:35:36 (permalink)
    But where and how are you seeing that the mouse itself is using CPU resources. Unleash RBG software itself uses very little resources, in fact its not even required to be running in the background for the mouse to function since all settings are saved on to the x17 onboard memory profiles. The mouse doesn't require specific drivers to function so where are you seeing that the mouse itself is taking up CPU resources. 
    To be honest I've never heard of a mouse that would be or can be "optimized" for lower end or older CPUs
    post edited by EVGA_James - 2023/01/19 16:38:14

Timtee
    Re: EVGA X17 Mouse questions 2023/01/19 16:56:46 (permalink)
    Task manager primarily, which yes itself does use some resources but... I can just tell alone from running cpu heavy games that normally run at like 15~ish fps typically on my pc being dropped to sub 1 fps from even looking around in them, to be a result of the x17 mouse and whatever it does. Effectively, to put it simply, is that the x17 houses software that latches onto the cpu to utilize it's resources. Normally this would be fine if you had a ryzen cpu or intel cpu of fairly recent release. As for me however... my cpu comes from like 2015. The version of windows I have is from I think 2018 to 2019. I forget, but it's old because Microsoft tends to... not be great with the updates stuff. Nor do I have a very good opinion of them anyways to begin with. However I will spare you of hearing me ramble bout that.

AFAIK, the mouse itself in question i think has something in it that uses the cpu to run more efficiently maybe in games? I dunno, my dad did the research on it when I first got it originally and tried using it on my pc. Altho I don't think the one game that I get horrible fps in from just using the mouse alone would lag quite as badly if it were given an engine update but... dunno when that'll ever happen heh.

If you want my exact specs tho, here ya go:
    AMD FX 6300
    GTX 1650
    32 gbs of DDR3 ram.
    And also, as for the OS, Windows 10... I believe like version 1950 or 19Hc or something like that. Idk, it's from around 2018-2019 in terms of when the update was released.
    Just a basic~ish list of specs so you can get an idea of what i'm running, and why it runs as bad as it does with this mouse in it's default configuration. And yes... I'm aware that the RGB software is solely there to modify the mouse's settings and nothing more. It's basically the same as like Razor Synapse in a sense technically speaking. Which is the software that handles my keyboard's settings of course.
    EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    Re: EVGA X17 Mouse questions 2023/01/19 17:28:36 (permalink)
    Task manager is not going to show you that the mouse is taking up resources. It wont even have the mouse itself or any hardware listed at all. As mentioned earlier Unleash RGB is not required to be running in the background for the mouse. Even if it is running it uses very little resources. Any changes made to the mouse one would just click apply and close the software completely. The mouse itself has no "software that latches onto the CPU". That's just not possible on its own. If you are only getting 15 FPS in games you have bigger problem at hand. Generally speaking the minimum one would want to have a game running is at 30fps which is at console level. Anything below that is not going to be caused by the mouse taking up resources. 

Timtee
    Re: EVGA X17 Mouse questions 2023/01/19 17:44:58 (permalink)
    Well... If you want to understand why the game runs at 15 fps. Just to put it as simple as I can for you, the game itself is running on an nearly 6~ish or more year old version of Unity. It was abandoned as a result of the creator's personal reasons mostly. If the person who has taken his time to not only reverse engineer the game fully, but also has seen that putting it on the most recent version of Unity improves performance greatly, does go thru with updating that game, I'd have more like probably close to 60 by default. However I know it is the mouse itself. Because with that chinesium mouse, Moving it around never actually dropped fps. With the x17 however... That's a different story in a sense. Anything that consumes any of my resources beyond that game itself, which consumes a fair chunk of my processor's resources anyways to begin with, will make it unfortunately lag worse than it does on it's own. Such is the side effect of a cpu heavy game.

If you want to understand why, consider this. FX 6300 considers itself a 6 core processor, which is a partial lie. It is infact a 3 core processor on a physical level, the 6 core thing refers to the logical cores the cpu actually has. It's architecture however... does not benefit the processor much as one would otherwise think for what was supposed to be AMD's best of the time. Which ended up being the complete opposite heh. In short, while Task Manager does not show the mouse itself, obviously. And while the unleash rgb software doesn't do anything beyond act as an interface to the mouse's own memory and settings... That doesn't mean that the mouse itself has something on it that uses the cpu right? While I do not quite know the specifics of how the mouse actually functions on a digital level. I do understand that it is eating up my processor's resources. And I would like to know why from someone who actually designed that part of the mouse so that I can better understand it.

If anything, it's safe to say that my computer isn't exactly modern gaming anyways heh. Non cpu heavy games will run mostly fine as you would expect. But as soon as you get to games that require a good cpu... nah not gonna work out so easily heh.

Edit: had added some info regarding why the game was abandoned. In case I caused a bit of confusion with the initial wording that is.

Edit 2: Also for whenever you see this edit. I would like to inform you that... I know it is the mouse because messing with the polling rate did have an effect on cpu usage earlier when I did test it before coming here. So I know it is the mouse itself and whatever function that the mouse has in itself that causes it to communicate with the cpu and use it's resources like that so... There is no denying that. If the people who developed it thought they fixed it awhile ago, well... they may have for newer systems. But not for older systems like mine, And no upgrading isn't an option for me unfortunately. I wish I could, but I would need the money to afford a new motherboard and ram at the least for a cpu that I happen to have from a family member who didn't want it anymore since he had gotten a better one anyways.
    post edited by Timtee - 2023/01/19 22:08:40
    Timtee
    Re: EVGA X17 Mouse questions 2023/01/20 21:19:20 (permalink)
    EVGA_James
    Task manager is not going to show you that the mouse is taking up resources. It wont even have the mouse itself or any hardware listed at all. As mentioned earlier Unleash RGB is not required to be running in the background for the mouse. Even if it is running it uses very little resources. Any changes made to the mouse one would just click apply and close the software completely. The mouse itself has no "software that latches onto the CPU". That's just not possible on its own. If you are only getting 15 FPS in games you have bigger problem at hand. Generally speaking the minimum one would want to have a game running is at 30fps which is at console level. Anything below that is not going to be caused by the mouse taking up resources.

Let me also say this... In particular, I should say that, since I'm running a 3 core processor from basically like 2015 or so. Also means that it's capacity to process things is quite limited in comparison to modern processors. It's not that it isn't necessarily capable of doing things. It's that it lacks enough resources to spare for the mouse to run it beyond the lowest polling rate without making frames drop in games that require the main processor to function fully.

Furthermore, the usage itself... At polling rate 125, I see the lowest possible usage yes... with idle being between 10-25% or so. Moving the mouse around at 3200 dpi makes it take up 10% more. Altho DPI makes little to no difference in usage, so simply moving the mouse is enough really to make it take up 10% more. Furthermore, these values increase a fair bit dramatically the higher the polling rate. Especially beyond 1000. To put it simply, if I put it alongside my one game that I tend to play allot that does use my cpu quite a bit. Just in the main menu alone, where the game lags the least... Usage is around 40-50%, with the 10% increase when moving the mouse any, as per expected. And whilst actually doing stuff such as building machines or playing on a server with others... Those numbers also increase quite a bit. Making the already problematic behavior of the mouse consuming any of the cpu's resources to begin with at all to be worse. than it needs to ever be.

Anyways... I look forward to your answer, should you have one regarding why, and what I can do to make the mouse effectively behave and not use resources on my cpu unnecessarily for it's own stuff that is obviously. Either way, any response is good enough if I can at least get some answers.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile