EVGA

EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Fiv3Score
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/02/22 18:01:51 (permalink)
Same here.. just bought my 32gb card and haven't opened it because of this. 
slybunda
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/02/23 03:22:19 (permalink)
send feedback to NVidia directly from the tablet, hopefully they can resolve this.
exilelrrp
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 411
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/02/23 23:08:48 (permalink)
Why did the update change the font color to White!?
I was very happy with Blue color fonts until now!

Why do this without giving users the option to choose?

Anyone here know how to set the font color back to Blue?

*Lian Li PC-011D Mini (Black) *i9-10900K *ROG Strix Z490-G *Nzxt Kraken Z73/Lian Li UNI SL120 Series *Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 *Corsair HX1200i *EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ultra FTW3 *Samsung 970 Evo M.2 1TB *Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB *Samsung 840 Evo Series 1TB SSD *Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ *Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB *Corsair Dark Core *Corsair Gaming MM800 *Corsair ST100 *Razer Nari Ultimate.

xphyle
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/02/25 10:30:36 (permalink)
Ok.  Someone please help.  I updated to Kitkat.  I had a 32GB card almost filled with games that I had moved from the device to the card using the app to SD function.  Now, none of the games will start, or they will attempt to re-download the game data.  It's like they no longer see that the data is on the external SD.  My SD card is mounted and is currently recognized under storage.  A post from a different thread seems to indicate that the "path" was changed in the file structure.  Is there anything that I can do/change to get my 32GB worth of games working again?  Am I screwed?  Can I change the path of the SD card somehow so that the games that I try to run will find their associated data again on the SD card?
sistinaSmiles
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/02/26 16:12:22 (permalink)
since the update I have been unable to connect to my home network through wifi.  it continually says: Saved, secured with wpa, then: connecting, then: Saved, secured with wpa.  I have a laptop, Iphone4, ipad, and samsung tablet that all connect to the wifi just fine.  I have power cycled the router.  I have changed the passkey and retried, I've switched to no security - it still wouldn't connect to my wifi - it just says: saved.  I can connect just fine to the wifi at the coffee shop, and to my corporate wifi which also requires a passkey.  I've restarted the tablet with all kinds of combinations of forgeting, turning off wifi, etc.  I've also done two factory resets in an attempt to reset the wifi.   I'm running out of ideas.  beginning to realize that without wifi, a tablet is basically an expensive paper weight.  any advice would be appreciated.
bluesjammer
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/02/26 23:00:34 (permalink)
Why? That's what I want to know. Why??? Why would NVIDIA or Google or who the hell ever decided this, would they make the tablet less functional? Why can't an app write to my SD card? What effect does that have on them? Why do they care??? And since the update, my tablet is dog slow, freezes, and Acrobat reader has the text all blurry. What is wrong with these people? Why would you make a product LESS valuable?  So then the next question is WHY am I NOT going to stick this paper weight back in the box and send it back for a refund? Seems like the old bait and switch, which by the way is against federal law GOOGLE! 
Blasronin
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/02/27 20:35:01 (permalink)
I don't know if everyone is having the same issue as I am but after the update, when I use the app Sketchbook pro for my art and designs I get this random grainy distortion on my layers.
When I take a break and play a game that involves tilting the devise, to make the character go towards that direction it seems less responsive and extra tilting.
Also they need to add the featured theme color blue, I am not feeling this white theme on my tablet and we should have that option to choose from.

I don't get paid to be a troubleshooter for EVGA and I don't receive free items I am like everyone else here, we purchased this device and need to have the choice of updating the software with a guarantee of fully patched drivers. Or to be able to roll back if the tablet does not seem to functioning 100%. 

And why do I have to purchase a pro stylus pen every time I burn out my rubber nibs, really guys come one now sell a set of rubber nibs to your users a small pack of 10 nibs or more.
There are two things I don't like 1) being horse fed to do something I don't want to, 2) bugs on a fully purchased device I spend allot of my free time with.

Yes I purchased two Tegra note 7 and if the K1 10" comes out with more efficiency towards tablet drawing, I would support it but if the technicians start to slack of there are other competitors in this market. So lets make this work EVGA keep us .... or loose us?

Fiv3Score
  • Total Posts : 44
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/02/27 21:37:58 (permalink)
Blasronin
I don't know if everyone is having the same issue as I am but after the update, when I use the app Sketchbook pro for my art and designs I get this random grainy distortion on my layers.
When I take a break and play a game that involves tilting the devise, to make the character go towards that direction it seems less responsive and extra tilting.
Also they need to add the featured theme color blue, I am not feeling this white theme on my tablet and we should have that option to choose from.

I don't get paid to be a troubleshooter for EVGA and I don't receive free items I am like everyone else here, we purchased this device and need to have the choice of updating the software with a guarantee of fully patched drivers. Or to be able to roll back if the tablet does not seem to functioning 100%. 

And why do I have to purchase a pro stylus pen every time I burn out my rubber nibs, really guys come one now sell a set of rubber nibs to your users a small pack of 10 nibs or more.
There are two things I don't like 1) being horse fed to do something I don't want to, 2) bugs on a fully purchased device I spend allot of my free time with.

Yes I purchased two Tegra note 7 and if the K1 10" comes out with more efficiency towards tablet drawing, I would support it but if the technicians start to slack of there are other competitors in this market. So lets make this work EVGA keep us .... or loose us?

Totally agree with you. I also bought this device for artwork, and also to support nvidia/evga., knowing full well that the K1 will come out sometime soon. And yes, I'll only buy the K1 if the issues with the current model and update are fixed.

I haven't gotten around to using Sketchbook Pro or any stylus applications, because of all the other little problems from the update. It's really taken the excitement out of using my tablet. Having the buy the Pro Stylus whenever you wear down the nibs is incredibly inconvenient at the least.. I bought a couple extra just because I knew I'd need them down the road. But $25 is way too much if you just want the nibs. They really should have included some replacements in the base package
slybunda
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/03/05 06:55:44 (permalink)
this updated killed off any trust that was built up with nvidia. removing sd card support is just plain stupid. 
omegafirebolt
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/03/05 08:34:20 (permalink)
slybunda
this updated killed off any trust that was built up with nvidia. removing sd card support is just plain stupid. 

This wasn't Nvidia's doing, yes they should have checked it out and maybe offered a fix but this was google's doing from the start.  The code that caused this issue (which they are not calling a bug because it's how google intended it to work) was put in place back in 3.x for tablets and it wasn't used very much so it didn't get as much attention and they didn't start enforcing it until KitKat.  The problem comes from the way android is handling permissions to the SD card compared to how it has in the past and a new mounting point in the file structure.  Basically, even without the path change, every app has full read access to the SD card, but now each app that gets installed is given a folder on the SD card that is specific to it where it can have write access.  The biggest problem this causes is that now all of the file browsers are pretty much useless without root, apps that can edit another apps files are also going to have issues, media apps probably not as much since there's a different set of permissions.  As for the path change, without rooting then we pretty much either have to wait for the app devs to update to KitKat's new path standards or google/Nvidia/EVGA to come up with a fix.  I seriously doubt that google supplies one since, from what I understand, none of their newer devices have SD card slots.  That leaves Nvidia since I think they are the ones supplying the updates.  Unfortunately, I would say that this is more than likely going to be pushed back onto the app devs to fix on their end.
post edited by omegafirebolt - 2014/03/05 08:35:55
Blasronin
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/03/06 06:22:35 (permalink)
Great I don't know if other users like myself are experiencing a 64 gig SD card issue, like for instance being able to just read from the card but not being able to write or delete from it. This is really embarrassing it it official I am not supporting a buggy product like this. I feel like taking my Damascus katana and splitting this crap into two. "****"
omegafirebolt
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/03/06 11:41:03 (permalink)
Blasronin
Great I don't know if other users like myself are experiencing a 64 gig SD card issue, like for instance being able to just read from the card but not being able to write or delete from it. This is really embarrassing it it official I am not supporting a buggy product like this. I feel like taking my Damascus katana and splitting this crap into two. "****"

This is the same issue I posted above, it's not a buggy product, it's a change Google made to the Android OS code for handling SD cards.
mstickler1
  • Total Posts : 3
Do NOT install the latest update (4.4.2) kit kat if you use a sd card. 2014/03/06 21:53:10 (permalink)
With kit kat GOOGLE (not EVGA or Nvidia) changed the way apps are allowed to write the SD card. Most apps do not support the new method nor is moving apps to the SD card. 

Read the following

cdesp20
Re: Do NOT install the latest update (4.4.2) kit kat if you use a sd card. 2014/03/28 15:42:54 (permalink)
I have 4.4.2 and I have a 64gb SD card mounted. I didn't have it before the update though so I'm not sure on how to recover anything. 
deppman
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/04/01 15:37:51 (permalink)
From http://www.sammobile.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16041

"Found in xda and tested in my N900, work perfect.
1. Using a root-enabled file manager, navigate to /system/etc/permissions
2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...<group gid="media_rw" />
4. Save the changes to the file.
5. Restart."

Looks like one has to root the phone. I may do that just to change permissions. 
cluseau12340
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/04/01 22:33:15 (permalink)
How to open game mapper??? Pls help..
nick.gouthro
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/04/03 13:47:25 (permalink)
As it's been said, neither EVGA or Nvidia had anything to do with the SD card functionality being changed, KEY WORD: CHANGED.  The SD card works, just in the way Google is intending it to.  First of all, any apps you have moved to your SD card are no longer going to work after the update, move them back to your tablets internal storage before the update or you will need to reinstall them. 
Now the meat and bones of the issue. This is not a fault in the tablet, this is how KitKat works, Apps no longer have full rights to storage, they will only have access to the folders and files they create, be they on the internal storage or the sd card. Only system apps will have full rights to storage because the system needs to manage the file system.  The reason for this is security, how many of you use a banking app on your phone/tablet? Or any app that uses personal data? As it stands, any app that can write to your sd card, can steal your personal data.  It can see and copy and change anything you have on your phone.  KitKat might limit your access to your sd card, (only on your device, more on that in a moment) but it does it to protect your information. This way, apps can still see everything, but can only change what it needs to change. If you plug your tablet into your computer, you will still be able to view, make changes to, and copy/backup your files on your sd card.

*edit* As a side note, I'm pretty sure once KitKats Storage Access Framework is supported by more apps, and eventually all apps, it'll make this argument irrelevant.

There will be no patch or fix from Nvidia or Evga, if they change the way KitKat handles external storage, the device will no longer be google certified and will loose access to the play store and all google apps.

KitKat is new, give Google a chance to refine it, they have a plan.  That's not to say they didn't do anything wrong. The changes to the way the OS handles sd cards should have been much more publicized, the update should have had a warning that many apps, and any app that was on your sd card, would be broken.  Developers should have been made aware of the change so they could properly updated their apps. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is yes, Google pulled a d**k move, but it wasn't the change they made, it was how they surprised everyone with it, how they made the change and didn't tell anyone before the updates started rolling out and not offering an easy way to roll back.  And just to be clear, the change has been there since Honeycomb, but it wasn't enforced, and third party manufacturers made the changes necessary to the code to allow the SD card to operate the way you are use to.  Even Samsung is falling in line now though, it's not just the Tegra Note 7, it's every KitKat device.

Your options? Root, or don't update.  If you already updated, I don't want to sound mean, I really do understand your frustration, but you either need to root, sell/return your tablet, or suck it up and learn to use the OS they way it's built.  Anyone on here blaming EVGA and Nvidia has simply not researched the information, and it's not helping anyone.  And there's not point in bad mouthing google, really, I mean, your other options are iOS, and that's counterproductive since no iOS device supports any method of external storage, or Windows 8.1, and not at this price point.

As for the other issues, that's what warranties are for, and if you rooted, well you knew the risk when you did it, flash back to Jelly Bean.
post edited by nick.gouthro - 2014/04/03 14:04:44
tsbrewers
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 108
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/04/09 10:02:15 (permalink)
cluseau12340
How to open game mapper??? Pls help..

press and hold the start button on your controller while you are in a game.
Modz85
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/05/22 07:43:23 (permalink)
So I bought a new note 7 and a 32gb sd card for it last week with the intention of using it as a media center style device. I only found out about this SD card issue today when i tried to move apps over to the brand new card and they all failed to do so. I read up found out this issues is a google os problem everyone has. Now i am confused as to what on earth is the use for the SD card now? It's blank and i can;t put anything on it. When i tried to copy files onto it via my PC (example photos/media) i can't see or gain access to them within my tablet. VLC can see the SD card, but can't see anything on it. 

Can i ask what on earth is now the point of the expandable memory slot if we have no way to even use it as originally intended? It is seriously now a useless part of the device?

Telrunya
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/05/22 08:38:17 (permalink)
I'm still running 4.3, but I had heard that later OTA updates fixed the "Move App to SD" feature. Note that the app developer has to allow this feature. (Its always functioned this way.) Otherwise the option is grayed-out.

The tablet should be able to read files already on the SD card. KitKat changed write permissions, but not read. That's my understanding at least.
fm123
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 131
Re: EVGA Tegra NOTE Update - 4.4.2 2014/05/22 21:32:00 (permalink)
Modz85
So I bought a new note 7 and a 32gb sd card for it last week with the intention of using it as a media center style device. I only found out about this SD card issue today when i tried to move apps over to the brand new card and they all failed to do so. I read up found out this issues is a google os problem everyone has. Now i am confused as to what on earth is the use for the SD card now? It's blank and i can;t put anything on it. When i tried to copy files onto it via my PC (example photos/media) i can't see or gain access to them within my tablet. VLC can see the SD card, but can't see anything on it. 

Can i ask what on earth is now the point of the expandable memory slot if we have no way to even use it as originally intended? It is seriously now a useless part of the device?

You can still move apps, but you may have to update them or uninstall/reinstall them since they apparently need to be 4.4 compatible for the SD card.  I think one game I have changed the amount it allows to move.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile