EVGA

Helpful ReplyEVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ]

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Systom
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 289
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 13:30:22 (permalink)
There's always been ways to circumvent methods such as captcha which is why there's so many different methods, and every time a new one comes out, a new anti-system eventually follows, therefor it needs to be a continuing growing/changing system.

this goes way way back and to do with the origins of spamming.

CPU & GPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / Nvidia RTX 3080 FE (Both EK Water Blocks)
MB & PSU: ROG Crosshair VIII Formula X570 / EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w
SSD & RAM: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & Western Digital Black SN850 1TB / G.Skill Trident Z Neo C14 3600MHz 4x8GB (32GB) 
Case & Fans: Lian Li O11 Dynamic / x9 EK-Vardar X3M
Rads: Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX 360mm x 54mm / Magicool 360S G2 Ultra 360mm x 45mm

Intoxicus
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 406
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 13:32:58 (permalink)
Unlox
Intoxicus
Unlox
Intoxicus
Unlox
                     Hey everyone,

I work in cybersecurity and just wanted to point out an issue in the implementation of EVGA's current anti-bot CAPTCHA implementation. The CAPTCHA at login is easily automated using tools like Selenium, PhantomJS or Puppeteer (to name basic ones) when it is only accepting the checkbox input. Selenium and other tools are great and blowing past those, obviously, since in my research the one EVGA has in use currently spawned the simple checkbox authentication majority of the time. The ones Selenium can not blow through are the "please check three fire hydrants or street lights". Tools like CAPTCHA and reCAPTCHA are only effective when utilized as a buffer since dedicated free tools are out there to defeat them (example 2Captcha). The harder to solve captchas appear if you're using recaptcha a lot. Generally, low frequency users should only see the checkbox and not need to solve captchas. This issue has been around for a bit meaning since you have tons of bots ready to pounce they will most likely get the easy checkbox instead of the ones that will actually keep the bots out.

EVGA your team would do well to implement a cascading solution to slow down the automated web scrapers since unfortunately you can't force CAPTCHA to always use a challenge image every time so most of the time you give the bots the easy CAPTCHA to get in. To combat this the team could toss in the normal CAPTCHA at account login, a reCAPTCHA v2 at add to cart, and a final reCAPTCHA v3 at time of purchase just for launch days as an idea. This cascading solution will offer more chances to your customers that the bots will have a higher probability of hitting a solution the bot will stall on. I hope this information is helpful in the future and maybe for the RTX 3090 launch as well since this code is easy to add to the specific webpages. 

I'm new here and just wanted to offer up some help. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Damn, I thought Captcha was better than that?
Didn't realize it could be fooled that easily.

Yeah it’s pretty wild! Go and google “Force challenge image for captcha” you’ll find many people that explain how there is not a flag to force captcha behavior it’s wild. Plus selenium and others can easily fool the checkbox captcha.

Wow, mind blown.
Had no idea how much Captcha oversells how good they are.
Is it really that easy?

Oh yeah, it’s even profitable!

www.2captcha.com as an example, it’s why I said you can stop it but you can slow them down.

Anything people can do, people can also undo.

Just didn't realize it was that easy. 

The idea of any lock & gate(physical or digital) is to make bypassing it more difficult than the time & effort investment is worth.

Captcha makes it look like you need some sort of advanced machine intelligence to break a Captcha.
Holy poop do they ever oversell themselves...

"Humans are not rational animals, humans are rationalizing animals." -Robert A Heinlein
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 13:51:11 (permalink)
A EVGATech posted this in another thread.

I honestly don't believe anything Newegg says. LOL

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Unlox
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 14:06:13 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer

oof, if I have some free time later I may make a video to show how fast even a terrible low-level bot can run through a checkout process and bypass simple checkbox bot protection.
HawkOculus
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 456
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 14:07:30 (permalink)
Newegg is so full of it that it’s absolutely beyond belief.
Intoxicus
iCX Member
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 14:09:26 (permalink)
Unlox
GTXJackBauer

oof, if I have some free time later I may make a video to show how fast even a terrible low-level bot can run through a checkout process and bypass simple checkbox bot protection.

please do

"Humans are not rational animals, humans are rationalizing animals." -Robert A Heinlein
Unlox
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 15:26:55 (permalink)
Intoxicus
Unlox
GTXJackBauer

please do

Well here is a selenium based bot I whipped up in real-time using reCAPTCHA like nothing and working through a fake EVGA order in about 28 seconds or less. Proper bots using optimized code and not Selenium can get this entire process down significantly faster and is only limited by the HTTP response rate.

This was to show how CAPTCHA and reCAPTCHA when setup in a single-use case can not detect even dead simple bots like this and why the entire internet sold out in less than a minute. Multiple CAPTCHA and reCAPTCHA instances in a cascading setup would provide more chances for the bot to encounter a challenge image. Other solutions would also provide more time for real users.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR2Pmf2CWTA
q5sys
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 153
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 15:32:33 (permalink)
Unlox
Well here is a selenium based bot I whipped up in real-time using reCAPTCHA like nothing and working through a fake EVGA order in about 28 seconds or less. Proper bots using optimized code and not Selenium can get this entire process down significantly faster and is only limited by the HTTP response rate.

This was to show how CAPTCHA and reCAPTCHA when setup in a single-use case can not detect even dead simple bots like this and why the entire internet sold out in less than a minute. Multiple CAPTCHA and reCAPTCHA instances in a cascading setup would provide more chances for the bot to encounter a challenge image. Other solutions would also provide more time for real users.

Selenium isn't really a bot though, it's just a way to test UIs.  Yea it can be used to automate things... which is kind of its purpose, but it's not really a bot in the way I think most of us are talking about.  Directly interfacing with API calls would be what I've been referring to, because that does away with the need of having any web browser action at all. 
With Selenium or other UI testers, anyone can pull that off.  There are even browser plugins where you record action and then it'll reply it on demand, all you'd need to do is go in and change the initial link and you'd be good.  But that wont work if the site is overwhelmed and web hosting is being redirected... API calls usually still work in those situations... assuming they're working on a different port.
Unlox
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 15:36:01 (permalink)
q5sys
Unlox

Selenium isn't really a bot though, it's just a way to test UIs.  Yea it can be used to automate things... which is kind of its purpose, but it's not really a bot in the way I think most of us are talking about.  Directly interfacing with API calls would be what I've been referring to, because that does away with the need of having any web browser action at all. 
With Selenium or other UI testers, anyone can pull that off.  There are even browser plugins where you record action and then it'll reply it on demand, all you'd need to do is go in and change the initial link and you'd be good.  But that wont work if the site is overwhelmed and web hosting is being redirected... API calls usually still work in those situations... assuming they're working on a different port.

The main point of that was that CAPTCHA/reCAPTCHA failed. Also while selenium to a normal user is basic, it has integration with python where a proper powerful bot can be made. If CAPTCHA cant detect a simple selenium solution then more advanced proper bots can easily shake the initial checkbox solution.

www.selenium-python.readthedocs.io/
q5sys
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 153
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 15:38:15 (permalink)
Unlox

The main point of that was that CAPTCHA/reCAPTCHA failed. Also while selenium to a normal user is basic, it has integration with python where a proper powerful bot can be made. If CAPTCHA cant detect a simple selenium solution then more advanced proper bots can easily shake the initial checkbox solution.

Understood.  Also... Obligatory post... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsF7enQY8uI
Unlox
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 15:39:34 (permalink)
q5sys
Unlox

Understood.  Also... Obligatory post... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsF7enQY8uI

lmao I swear I thought you were going to post this www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqnXp6Saa8Y

The selenium code was this btw:
{
  "id": "49a4d828-46e5-4cf0-b00b-4b95bfa768e6",
  "version": "2.0",
  "name": "evga",
  "url": "https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-3065-KR",
  "tests": [{
    "id": "52733568-b31b-41a2-8991-4a999a5ef456",
    "name": "evga bot",
    "commands": [{
      "id": "3d7c6c77-daaf-4b16-9c2c-3c3372fab83d",
      "comment": "",
      "command": "open",
      "target": "https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-3065-KR",
      "targets": [],
      "value": ""
    }, {
      "id": "6e6a1fc2-24e2-41b5-b054-6aa3103851da",
      "command": "setWindowSize",
      "target": "1936x1056",
    }, {
      "id": "5eeefa0d-2bab-48ce-8d21-ffce8671d834",
      "command": "click",
      "target": "css=.AddToChat",
      "targets": [
        ["css=.AddToChat", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//a[@id='LFrame_btnAddToCart']/span", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//div/a/span", "xpath:position"],
        ["xpath=//span[contains(.,'ADD TO CART')]", "xpath:innerText"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "5346897f-2467-4d93-a431-5a97cb5910cf",
      "target": "id=LFrame_CheckoutButton",
        ["id=LFrame_CheckoutButton", "id"],
        ["name=ctl00$LFrame$CheckoutButton", "name"],
        ["css=#LFrame_CheckoutButton", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//input[@id='LFrame_CheckoutButton']", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='LFrame_pnlMain']/div[2]/input[3]", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//div[2]/input[3]", "xpath:position"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "62f04179-13f5-4619-b4c5-37c229753ab3",
      "target": "id=evga_login",
        ["id=evga_login", "id"],
        ["name=evga_login", "name"],
        ["css=#evga_login", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//input[@id='evga_login']", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='EVGAContent']/div/div/div/div/form/div/div/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/input", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//td[2]/input", "xpath:position"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "bbc4232b-6a14-40b2-86a8-e791c1cd2b37",
        ["id=evga_login", "id"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='EVGAContent']/div/div/div/div/form/div/div/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/input", "xpath:idRelative"],
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "8c0be8b4-a342-4370-ba84-26e0fb8f6f3e",
      "command": "doubleClick",
        ["id=evga_login", "id"],
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "a80e98a3-9761-4a0d-b052-51b7f2380755",
        ["id=evga_login", "id"],
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "e5ae531f-be4b-43eb-995b-73805a55d116",
        ["id=evga_login", "id"],
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "70fbafa2-ee87-45b3-8506-f5a3d2553749",
      "target": "name=password",
        ["name=password", "name"],
        ["css=tr:nth-child(2) > td:nth-child(2) > input", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//input[@name='password']", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='EVGAContent']/div/div/div/div/form/div/div/table/tbody/tr[2]/td[2]/input", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//tr[2]/td[2]/input", "xpath:position"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "09963a2e-ad4d-4a87-a00a-158762d094cf",
        ["xpath=//div[@id='EVGAContent']/div/div/div/div/form/div/div/table/tbody/tr[2]/td[2]/input", "xpath:idRelative"],
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "0c05517a-3ccc-440d-b5c2-5a444f048b74",
      "command": "doubleClick",
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "15702351-134c-4bf8-b5e1-6d578bcb53c9",
      "command": "selectFrame",
      "target": "index=0",
        ["index=0"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "cb10166c-dae9-4ef5-8fb1-d29bc84ccc6f",
      "target": "css=.recaptcha-checkbox-border",
        ["css=.recaptcha-checkbox-border", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//span[@id='recaptcha-anchor']/div", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//span/div", "xpath:position"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "820b7c96-9bfa-456d-b73c-3f76b2354760",
      "command": "selectFrame",
      "target": "relative=parent",
        ["relative=parent"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "565e1f79-db07-4b9f-960a-498a8fac38c4",
      "target": "name=login_button",
        ["name=login_button", "name"],
        ["css=td > .button", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//input[@name='login_button']", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='EVGAContent']/div/div/div/div/form/div/div[2]/table/tbody/tr/td/input", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//div[2]/table/tbody/tr/td/input", "xpath:position"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "dcbaea05-ca46-4843-87c3-cd5543c8a31a",
      "target": "id=LFrame_CheckoutButton",
        ["id=LFrame_CheckoutButton", "id"],
        ["name=ctl00$LFrame$CheckoutButton", "name"],
        ["css=#LFrame_CheckoutButton", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//input[@id='LFrame_CheckoutButton']", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='LFrame_pnlMain']/div[2]/input[3]", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//div[2]/input[3]", "xpath:position"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "e1177536-8867-43d7-9473-5de8bcb3e0c4",
      "target": "css=.js-ship-buttons > .btnCheckoutContinue",
        ["css=.js-ship-buttons > .btnCheckoutContinue", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//input[@value='Continue']", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='doc']/div[3]/div[3]/input[2]", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//div[3]/input[2]", "xpath:position"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "ce73be63-e4f8-4fe5-8ff9-746c70431acd",
      "target": "css=.modal-content .btnCheckoutContinue",
        ["css=.modal-content .btnCheckoutContinue", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=(//input[@value='Continue'])[2]", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='modalSuggestAddress']/div/div[2]/input[2]", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//div/div[2]/input[2]", "xpath:position"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "faa986be-00ff-434f-96df-4c5a28491b58",
      "target": "id=cbAgree",
        ["id=cbAgree", "id"],
        ["name=cbAgree", "name"],
        ["css=#cbAgree", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//input[@id='cbAgree']", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='divShipFee']/p/input", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//p/input", "xpath:position"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "0d2070d6-b40a-4b55-943f-e4c7e1431e5c",
      "target": "css=div:nth-child(3) > label",
        ["css=div:nth-child(3) > label", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='divShipFeeList']/div[3]/label", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//div[3]/label", "xpath:position"],
        ["xpath=//label[contains(.,'UPS 2nd Day Air ($25.60)')]", "xpath:innerText"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "99a922f8-9601-4683-9c3d-c822bbfe5f2c",
      "target": "id=ctl00_LFrame_btncontinue",
        ["id=ctl00_LFrame_btncontinue", "id"],
        ["name=ctl00$LFrame$btncontinue", "name"],
        ["css=#ctl00_LFrame_btncontinue", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//input[@id='ctl00_LFrame_btncontinue']", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=//p[@id='checkoutButtons']/input[2]", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//p/input[2]", "xpath:position"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "0c44e735-a3f6-42d6-8310-0ee813cd8be3",
      "target": "id=rdoCreditCard",
        ["id=rdoCreditCard", "id"],
        ["name=ctl00$LFrame$rdoPaymentType", "name"],
        ["css=#rdoCreditCard", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//input[@id='rdoCreditCard']", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='creditOuter']/div/div/div[2]/input", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//div/div[2]/input", "xpath:position"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "3a3084da-9fb1-45b3-bf66-e3ba246fd482",
      "target": "id=ctl00_LFrame_btncontinue",
        ["id=ctl00_LFrame_btncontinue", "id"],
        ["name=ctl00$LFrame$btncontinue", "name"],
        ["css=#ctl00_LFrame_btncontinue", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//input[@id='ctl00_LFrame_btncontinue']", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='ctl00_LFrame_ctl00_LFrame_btncontinuePanel']/input", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//div[6]/div[2]/div/input", "xpath:position"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "c61042a7-397e-4244-b995-20411fb0b3aa",
      "target": "id=ctl00_LFrame_txtNameOnCard",
        ["id=ctl00_LFrame_txtNameOnCard", "id"],
        ["name=ctl00$LFrame$txtNameOnCard", "name"],
        ["css=#ctl00_LFrame_txtNameOnCard", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//input[@id='ctl00_LFrame_txtNameOnCard']", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='ctl00_LFrame_pnlCCInfo']/p/input", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//div[3]/div/div/div/p/input", "xpath:position"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "269c60fa-9758-4954-9326-e19d970d9e33",
      "command": "type",
      "target": "id=ctl00_LFrame_txtNameOnCard",
        ["id=ctl00_LFrame_txtNameOnCard", "id"],
        ["name=ctl00$LFrame$txtNameOnCard", "name"],
        ["css=#ctl00_LFrame_txtNameOnCard", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//input[@id='ctl00_LFrame_txtNameOnCard']", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='ctl00_LFrame_pnlCCInfo']/p/input", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//div[3]/div/div/div/p/input", "xpath:position"]
      ],
      "value": "John Doe"
    }, {
      "id": "50a5a7d2-1eb7-480e-a206-3eb6087b90a2",
      "target": "id=ctl00_LFrame_txtCardNumber",
        ["id=ctl00_LFrame_txtCardNumber", "id"],
        ["name=ctl00$LFrame$txtCardNumber", "name"],
        ["css=#ctl00_LFrame_txtCardNumber", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//input[@id='ctl00_LFrame_txtCardNumber']", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='ccNum']/input", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//div[5]/div[3]/div/div/div/div/input", "xpath:position"]
      ],
      "value": "555555555555555"
    }, {
      "id": "5801fce4-f227-4b19-a926-5b0b15f935ce",
      "command": "select",
      "target": "id=ctl00_LFrame_ddlYear",
      "value": "label=2023"
    }, {
      "id": "5a7c188f-1255-4364-80ce-780bb32b5fbc",
      "target": "id=ctl00_LFrame_txtCvv",
        ["id=ctl00_LFrame_txtCvv", "id"],
        ["name=ctl00$LFrame$txtCvv", "name"],
        ["css=#ctl00_LFrame_txtCvv", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//input[@id='ctl00_LFrame_txtCvv']", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='ctl00_LFrame_pnlCCInfo']/p[4]/input", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//div[3]/div/div/div/p[4]/input", "xpath:position"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "ef76fc52-dc5e-4691-a8c3-023d207918ce",
      "target": "id=ctl00_LFrame_txtCvv",
        ["id=ctl00_LFrame_txtCvv", "id"],
        ["name=ctl00$LFrame$txtCvv", "name"],
        ["css=#ctl00_LFrame_txtCvv", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//input[@id='ctl00_LFrame_txtCvv']", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='ctl00_LFrame_pnlCCInfo']/p[4]/input", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//div[3]/div/div/div/p[4]/input", "xpath:position"]
      ],
      "value": "123"
    }, {
      "id": "c428297a-386e-4418-8f74-0e03722f2658",
      "target": "id=ctl00_LFrame_ImageButton2",
        ["id=ctl00_LFrame_ImageButton2", "id"],
        ["name=ctl00$LFrame$ImageButton2", "name"],
        ["css=#ctl00_LFrame_ImageButton2", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//input[@id='ctl00_LFrame_ImageButton2']", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=(//div[@id='checkoutButtons']/input[2])[2]", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//div[3]/input[2]", "xpath:position"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "773c838a-f504-42ab-bee5-ddf83390fa98",
      "target": "id=ctl00_LFrame_cbAgree",
        ["id=ctl00_LFrame_cbAgree", "id"],
        ["name=ctl00$LFrame$cbAgree", "name"],
        ["css=#ctl00_LFrame_cbAgree", "css:finder"],
        ["xpath=//input[@id='ctl00_LFrame_cbAgree']", "xpath:attributes"],
        ["xpath=//div[@id='checkoutFooter']/p/input", "xpath:idRelative"],
        ["xpath=//div[5]/p/input", "xpath:position"]
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "a21c061e-f95d-4f25-9c1b-ae8569edc32f",
      "command": "mouseOver",
      ],
    }, {
      "id": "3af9e108-4717-4ffb-8d30-3ced71a43d40",
      "command": "mouseOut",
      ],
    }]
  }],
  "suites": [{
    "id": "b6cdab30-c446-4cd9-822e-e0fc95795371",
    "name": "Default Suite",
    "persistSession": false,
    "parallel": false,
    "timeout": 300,
    "tests": ["52733568-b31b-41a2-8991-4a999a5ef456"]
  }],
  "urls": ["https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-3065-KR"],
  "plugins": []
}

Looks like the main one was bouncealerts

www.pcmag.com/news/how-a-bot-bought-dozens-of-rtx-3080-units-before-consumers-could-grab-them
post edited by Unlox - 2020/09/17 16:00:13
Intoxicus
iCX Member
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 16:16:20 (permalink)
Was hoping you would explain how it works in the video. I'm very curious for an in depth technical explanation.

Crazy to see it in action though.

Unlox
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 16:20:18 (permalink)
Intoxicus
Was hoping you would explain how it works in the video. I'm very curious for an in depth technical explanation.

Crazy to see it in action though.

If you want to get into the weeds you can see this gentleman craft one:

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Xjv1sY630Uc

Hope that helps satisfy your curiosity.
Spurious_ECG
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 192
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 16:46:37 (permalink)
Basically if you can't beat them because sites are not taking appropriate action, you need to join them to buy a card for your own personal use 

yaggaz
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1509
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 16:51:02 (permalink)
m0camb0
As you work in cybersecurity, you must be aware that our work is always a compromise between convenience and security, adding 3 captchas adds a lot of inconvenience to legitimate users. 

I can't speak for everyone, but I'd be more than happy to go three 3 captchas if I knew it would increase my chances of getting the product AND as an added bonus, was screwing over bots and scalpers.

||  CPU: Intel 10700k   ||  GPU:  evga 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid ||  MB: Gigabyte z490 UD AC  || RAM: 2 x 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 SDRAM  || Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB   ||    Dell S2417DG Monitor    ||  Soundblaster AE-7  ||  Phanteks p400a Case  ||   be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler  ||  Corsair AX1600i PSU  ||  9 Fans total in system ||
Unlox
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 16:52:05 (permalink)
Spurious_ECG
Basically if you can't beat them because sites are not taking appropriate action, you need to join them to buy a card for your own personal use 

Yeah, its a weird situation because using automated tools like this isn't illegal or even penalized in terms of service so using a bot seems okay to most companies as long as they're making sales. Makes sense in times like this where companies are filing bankruptcy left and right due to the pandemic. The ethics of it are wonky as well, I feel it would be fun if some cards were raffled away and people could pay if they win the raffle. Probably the best chance a normal person would have agaisnt a professional bot lol

yaggaz
m0camb0
As you work in cybersecurity, you must be aware that our work is always a compromise between convenience and security, adding 3 captchas adds a lot of inconvenience to legitimate users. 

I can't speak for everyone, but I'd be more than happy to go three 3 captchas if I knew it would increase my chances of getting the product AND as an added bonus, was screwing over bots and scalpers.

Yeah same, I just think there are plenty of options. That was just off the top and I think using it for only launch days would be good. Still it's more about slowing them down than stopping them. Automatically measuring time between user actions and rate/speed of data entry after initial user login could also mitigate some of these bots.
post edited by Unlox - 2020/09/17 16:59:25
Intoxicus
iCX Member
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 22:21:47 (permalink)
Unlox
Spurious_ECG

Yeah, its a weird situation because using automated tools like this isn't illegal or even penalized in terms of service so using a bot seems okay to most companies as long as they're making sales. Makes sense in times like this where companies are filing bankruptcy left and right due to the pandemic. The ethics of it are wonky as well, I feel it would be fun if some cards were raffled away and people could pay if they win the raffle. Probably the best chance a normal person would have agaisnt a professional bot lol

yaggaz
m0camb0

Yeah same, I just think there are plenty of options. That was just off the top and I think using it for only launch days would be good. Still it's more about slowing them down than stopping them. Automatically measuring time between user actions and rate/speed of data entry after initial user login could also mitigate some of these bots.

The bots would adjust to mimic human speed. It could even things up to slow them down a little, but probably wouldn't do much.

A true Turing Test better than Captcha would be harder to implement, but more effective.

Omoeba
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 134
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 22:31:41 (permalink)
Intoxicus
Unlox
Spurious_ECG

yaggaz
m0camb0

The bots would adjust to mimic human speed. It could even things up to slow them down a little, but probably wouldn't do much.

A true Turing Test better than Captcha would be harder to implement, but more effective.

Bots slowing down to human speed will allow actual humans to have a chance though.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 2x16GB
Inland Performance 2TB SSD
EVGA Supernova 850 G+ PSU
Fractal Meshify C Case

Malkuth74
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 22:46:27 (permalink)
Only way this is ever going to stop is if dumb people stop buying the dumb triple priced cards off these people..
These people have way to much money to get through all this stuff.  Its a business in its own to break the system.  You can't beat that.. Unless they don't have the money.

But of course people are inherently stupid.. So they will keep buying them.

I7 8700K OC (4.7 GHZ)
EVGA CLS 240 MM AIO
AsRock 370 MB
EVGA 3080 FTW Ultra
32 Gigs Ram G-Skill RipSaws DDR4 3200
WD Black SSD NvMe 1 TB.
Seasonic Focus 750 80+ Gold
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/17 23:42:45 (permalink)
Omoeba

Bots slowing down to human speed will allow actual humans to have a chance though.

Than they'll just adapt and use bots at different speeds.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
jdinh0608
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/18 00:21:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Unlox 2020/09/19 12:18:46
I agree whole heartedly with OP. I'm currently using 2Captcha to run a bot for a pokemon discord game, I can verify that having multiple captcha throughout the whole buying process will help tremendously. Services that proxy solve captchas are not fast. They are run by real humans and has queues. A simple text/number captcha takes approximately 15 seconds to be solved by services like 2Captcha, which in reality can be solved within 2-3 seconds by any real person. I've seen some with such simple text and very easy to solve, but obfuscated with lines and dashes that will trip up almost every free and paid OCR out there. Please add some of these type of captcha into the process! Also if possible, throw Cloudflare in front with the 5s "bot check", that should at least stop some of the weaker bots, and can potentially prevent a crash.
808sting
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 462
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/18 02:09:59 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
I really hope NVidia would cancel all of these orders in mass, and ban the account of the users that used a bot.  NVidia could easily, and I really regret saying this, force people to use GEForce Experience to sell the cards, and verify the user.  This would allow NVidia to ban any user that buys more than the allotted cards in a set amount of time, or perma ban those that are obviously screwing others out of the ability to purchase.

Watch what you say...  Maybe FB may buy nVidia and force FB logins for everything.  I'm selling my Quest for an Index in the near future.  Look what happened with Oculus.

EVGA could tie it's Elite Membership to card purchases.  Set a limited 1st run quantity for retailers and give loyal existing owners first right of refusal for initial rollout.  It won't be perfect, but at least address the existing owners that value EVGA's business model.  They have all the info from the ones that register the products so they can forcast the demand for at least the US.

i9 13900KS, Asus ROG Hero Z690 MB, 32GB G.Skill DDR5-6400
Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC
External open-loop w/Velocity2 WB
Corsair 900D Case
Firecuda SSD 1TB & 2TB, EVO 970P 1TB, Black 8TB
Asus & LG BD-RE
Corsair AX1600i PS
LG 38GL950B-G
808sting
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 462
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/18 02:31:18 (permalink)
In the end with effort and deminishing returns, does EVGA want to support general buyers or loyal customers more when releasing new products.  Typing in a serial number that cross-checks with PII(personal identifiable Info) in their database could be way to take care of loyal customers first.

EVGA can run the numbers based on historical sales and set allocations for retailers and repeat EVGA customers for rollout.  I doubt they'll have adequate inventory, but at least it shows they value their existing customers.

i9 13900KS, Asus ROG Hero Z690 MB, 32GB G.Skill DDR5-6400
Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC
External open-loop w/Velocity2 WB
Corsair 900D Case
Firecuda SSD 1TB & 2TB, EVO 970P 1TB, Black 8TB
Asus & LG BD-RE
Corsair AX1600i PS
LG 38GL950B-G
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/18 04:56:26 (permalink)
I think the real problem is even if you put three layers of catcha before checkout we would run into the problem of thousands of people trying and crashing the site all at once. Also we would see a lot of people complain that they had it in the cart and are about to check out but they missed a bicycle rushing to check out and had to do bridges and when they finished that one they found it sold out.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Unlox
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/18 10:34:38 (permalink)
Hoggle
I think the real problem is even if you put three layers of catcha before checkout we would run into the problem of thousands of people trying and crashing the site all at once. Also we would see a lot of people complain that they had it in the cart and are about to check out but they missed a bicycle rushing to check out and had to do bridges and when they finished that one they found it sold out.

Yeah but that’s an easy problem to fix by spinning up more AWS instances dynamically or CDNs, that would be a far better single issue to contend with. The volume of traffic they said was over Black Friday so no one expected to need to spin up that much for the other day. They had no clue of the volume, it was more than any previous launch in history.

Steve mentions it here:

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=qHogHMvZscM
kalen37
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 305
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/18 11:15:38 (permalink)
 Or follow Nvidia's lead. They have stated they are going to manually go through all sales via their store and make sure they are all non-bot sales.

I mean you say one per a household, make the botters have a unique address per unit to ship to.

Do I look like a mushroom?.
No, then why do you keep me in the dark?.

An informed consumer is a happy one.
Unlox
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/18 11:19:46 (permalink)
kalen37
 Or follow Nvidia's lead. They have stated they are going to manually go through all sales via their store and make sure they are all non-bot sales.

I mean you say one per a household, make the botters have a unique address per unit to ship to.

Sadly the bot companies have this down, they offer their bot services for $75 to nab the item you want using your account information and purchasing preference. The bot executes the orders for the various people so majority of the time it’s not just one person buying all cards under one address which is why the goal should be to slow down and impede the bots in any way possible since they can’t be stopped outright.
vulcan1978
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 284
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/18 11:24:37 (permalink)
"EVGA please spend more money implementing an anti-bot solution that means less profit for you as the bots buy your cards 40x at a time without the 5% associate discount code!" 

Never going to happen. 

Like NV, EVGA DOESN'T GIVE A (removed) ABOUT YOU. 

At the end of the day EVGA is a Corporation. 

https://youtu.be/zpQYsk-8dWg

Edit language removed by Cool GTX

post edited by Cool GTX - 2020/09/18 13:28:59

8700k @ 5.1 GHz - 0 AVX @ 1.386v Dynamic Offset w/ EK Monoblock + Delid | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | EVGA 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra @ 2130 Mhz core, 7950 MHz memory @ 1.063v w/ 375W FTW3 vbios + Phanteks Glacier Block  | EK CE 420 + EK XE 360 | 2x16GB G-Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz 17-20-20-38 | 2 TB Sabrent Rocket | Corsair RM1000x | Thermaltake View 71 | Alienware AW3418DW + Asus ROG Swift PG278Q (for 3D Vision) on Amazon Basics Arms | Win10 Pro 1809

philosophersbunker.blogspot.com
Unlox
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/18 11:37:29 (permalink)
vulcan1978
"EVGA please spend more money implementing an anti-bot solution that means less profit for you as the bots buy your cards 40x at a time without the 5% associate discount code!" 

Never going to happen. 

Like NV, EVGA DOESN'T GIVE A (removed) ABOUT YOU. 

At the end of the day EVGA is a Corporation. 

https://youtu.be/zpQYsk-8dWg

Edit language removed by Cool GTX

Ease up. None of that is constructive. It’s just a graphics card, if you’re that upset go and take a step back and do something else. Have some overall perspective.
kalen37
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 305
Re: EVGA Team, Please implement a more robust anti-bot solution [ Possible solutions ] 2020/09/18 11:43:30 (permalink)
Unlox
kalen37

Sadly the bot companies have this down, they offer their bot services for $75 to nab the item you want using your account information and purchasing preference. The bot executes the orders for the various people so majority of the time it’s not just one person buying all cards under one address which is why the goal should be to slow down and impede the bots in any way possible since they can’t be stopped outright.

If they have buyers already where do they get cards to resell? From what you said the cards are already spoken for. And people actually give the botniks their personal information as well as credit cards?

Do I look like a mushroom?.
No, then why do you keep me in the dark?.

An informed consumer is a happy one.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile