EVGA

EVGA Supernova GT 750w faulty?

Author
Hatchtopher
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/05/13 07:49:39 (permalink)
I purchased an EVGA Supernova GT 750w PSU to replace the one in my gaming PC which had a fan which was failing. I received it and hooked it up and had problems from the beginning. For context: I plugged the MB plug into the motherboard, I used both VGA ports/cables and connected the 2-6+2 pin adapters into my GPU (rather than using one daisy chain), plugged in the 8 pin power to the motherboard, and plugged in my sata and molex peripherals. My motherboard has a second 4-pin power slot but I've never had to use it with any previous PSUs. My PC started as a prebuilt and the company didn't use the 2nd 4-pin power slot either.

I tested the PSU with the included tester before installing and the fan spun for a second and then stopped...which appeared to be fine as the fan won't spin in ECO mode.

After hooking everything up to my PC, I turned on the power switch on the PSU and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then I powered on my computer. Everything appeared to be fine until my PC went black and shutdown after being on for about a minute. I double checked all my cables and connections and checked for any possible shorts and there were no issues there. I powered my PC back on and it shutdown after about 8 seconds and then kept cycling on and off, each time shutting down after about 8 seconds.

So I took an older PSU that I have and hooked it up to my PC and unhooked the EVGA PSU. On the old PSU, my computer fired right up and ran fine.

Is this likely a faulty PSU? I purchased it through Amazon and was within my return/replacement window so I am just exchanging it for another identical PSU rather than filing an RMA because, quite frankly, Amazon has a speedy return service. My replacement will be here in a couple days and hopefully that one won't have the same issues.

Has anyone else ever had this issue? Was I right in determining that the PSU was defective?

P.S. I have an EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3060ti which has never had an issue so I have confidence in the EVGA brand but was a little disheartened by my experience with the PSU

CPU: Intel i7-10700k
GPU: EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3060ti
RAM:Crucial Ballistix 32GB (4 x 8GB)
PSU: EVGA Supernova GT 750w
AIO: EK 240mm aRGB CPU Cooler
EVGA REFERRAL ID:  7EQIF1AJ017KOE9S1MX3 
Come visit me on Twitch: Twitch.tv/Hatchtopher

3 Replies Related Threads

lastsamurairick
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2419
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: EVGA Supernova GT 750w faulty? 2022/05/13 08:42:36 (permalink)
    I had this happen years ago but warranty was not honored but was not EVGA brand back than I bought other brand for price. You got 2 ways to get warranty honored which is a ++ in my book. 
    This year alone I bought 3 EVGA PSU's first I bought was cheaper model 750watt works fine ,750watt works fine,  Current build 1000watt. all working fine no issues. Anyways EVGA would honor it's warranty so glad you safe both ways. Yea I buy in Amazon too they are fast. 

Intel 10900k @ 3.7 Stock
      EVGA Z490 Dark 
      EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3070Ti FTW3
      G SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL 32GB
      EVGA 1000G5
    Hatchtopher
    Re: EVGA Supernova GT 750w faulty? 2022/05/14 14:49:38 (permalink)
    I received the replacement PSU today. I will post again after I get it hooked up and tested. I'm hoping and praying that everything goes well this time. Fingers crossed! If this one fails, im returning it and going with a Corsair. Fail me once, shame on you. Fail me twice, shame on me.

Hatchtopher
    Re: EVGA Supernova GT 750w faulty? 2022/05/14 18:20:19 (permalink)
    I got the replacement PSU, it tested fine.  I installed it and it works like a charm.  Even under stress testing it didn't get warm enough to even kick the fan on!  

The truly impressive part of the story here is Amazon's return and replacement process.  I went online and filed for a replacement late Thursday evening (11:30pm'ish). They shipped it out on Friday.  It arrived on Saturday.  That's pretty incredible considering the part of the country I live in.  With Amazon's 30 (60?) day return policy and the added warranty from EVGA, I'm confident I'll get years and years of use outta this GPU.  

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile