EVGA

Helpful ReplyEVGA Supernova 650GS Power Supply - Powering down after around 0.5 seconds

Author
xtzile
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/12/20 07:14:34 (permalink)
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me - My build is roughly 6 months old, no problems until today.

I've tried to power my PC on and the PC boots for around 0.5 seconds and then turns immediately off, upon doing such as re-seating RAM, trying one stick, ensuring all cables are working, ensuring Fan header is connected etc etc I decided to try my old PSU from an older build and have found the PC boots from this, upon re-connecting the 650GS i've tried other wall outlets to ensure it isn't the connection to the PSU, however this also results in the PC booting for 0.5 seconds and shutting down.

Before I look into how to get a replacement, is there anything else that could be causing the PSU to have this issue that I'm not aware of? 

Thanks in advance
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: EVGA Supernova 650GS Power Supply - Powering down after around 0.5 seconds 2018/12/20 07:27:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby xtzile 2018/12/20 08:22:42
Welcome to the EVGA Forums

As your old PSU works correctly when you swapped it back in - it seems to be an issue with your 650GS or its cables

Clearing the CMOS is about the only "test" that comes to mind with the limited information that you did post

Some MB will cycle their BOOT several times - when adjusting themselves for various reasons, including OC failure, RAM testing .......

Would be nice to have more details:
MB & BIOS version ?
CPU
GPU
OS

If the PSU is shutting down it could be a "safety feature" that is being tripped and your old PSU may not have this "feature"

Disconnect the PSU and test if it will start & run by its self 
https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59582

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

xtzile
Re: EVGA Supernova 650GS Power Supply - Powering down after around 0.5 seconds 2018/12/20 07:52:21 (permalink)
Hi Cool GTX,

Thanks for the reply,

I Have a Z370-I - unsure as to the bios as i've removed the old Power supply as i don't trust it in my newer system
CPU - 8600K
GPU - 1060 2GB
Win10 - 64 Bit

The system isn't currently running an overclock, I'll find a paperclip and run the test now and let you know the results.

Thanks for all the help.

xtzile
Re: EVGA Supernova 650GS Power Supply - Powering down after around 0.5 seconds 2018/12/20 08:21:47 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Welcome to the EVGA Forums

As your old PSU works correctly when you swapped it back in - it seems to be an issue with your 650GS or its cables

Clearing the CMOS is about the only "test" that comes to mind with the limited information that you did post

Some MB will cycle their BOOT several times - when adjusting themselves for various reasons, including OC failure, RAM testing .......

Would be nice to have more details:
MB & BIOS version ?
CPU
GPU
OS

If the PSU is shutting down it could be a "safety feature" that is being tripped and your old PSU may not have this "feature"

Disconnect the PSU and test if it will start & run by its self 

Ok so,

I've reset the cmos - no boot

I've followed the paperclip test - there is a noise that happens very quickly and then nothing happens, no fans spin.

Thanks,

xtz
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EVGA Supernova 650GS Power Supply - Powering down after around 0.5 seconds 2018/12/20 08:38:28 (permalink)
RMA time - Make sure it is registered First

start by opening a Ticket  https://www.evga.com/support/ticket/support.aspx

https://www.evga.com/warranty/rmaprocess/

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

xtzile
Re: EVGA Supernova 650GS Power Supply - Powering down after around 0.5 seconds 2018/12/20 08:43:49 (permalink)
Cool GTX
RMA time - Make sure it is registered First

start by opening a Ticket 

Just opened up a ticket with the information - sucks to be without a computer over the holidays,

Do you recommend advanced RMA?

Thanks for all the help.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EVGA Supernova 650GS Power Supply - Powering down after around 0.5 seconds 2018/12/20 09:01:36 (permalink)
What is that old PSU you speak of ?

Brand, model, Watts, age

the current Holiday timeline is working against you - for this to happen Fast
https://www.evga.com/holiday/

xtzile
Re: EVGA Supernova 650GS Power Supply - Powering down after around 0.5 seconds 2018/12/20 09:05:53 (permalink)
It's an OCZ Stealth X Stream 2 700w - Around 8 years old I think?

Thanks
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EVGA Supernova 650GS Power Supply - Powering down after around 0.5 seconds 2018/12/20 09:17:11 (permalink)
A very quick web search, did not see any in depth reviews for that OCZ PSU

Not sure if I'd want to "risk" my new PC build with that ....  (found this on  jonnyguru)

OCZ GameXstream 700W

(excerpt from link above) 
"The Bad.... Ripple that exceeds tolerances documented in the ATX specifications"

If you do not have a friend with a quality spare PSU, it might be worth the advanced RMA fees if that is an option ... ask EVGA Customer service.

Otherwise:
- you ship your PSU (from where & Christmas shipping delays & schedules.....)
- EVGA gets your PSU & add about 3 or 4 business days for the item to be inspected (but nothing during announced shutdown )
- then the shipping back to you .... however many days that takes

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile