EVGA

EVGA SC17 1070 GPU voltage broken

Author
Nikola Ghanty
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/12/03 01:26:48 (permalink)
So recently the EVGA GTX 1070 in my SC17 laptop has been going Hitler. When I first got my laptop (about May 2017) my clock speeds were normal when gaming and benchmarking (1700MHz-2000+MHz)  Five months later the GPU clock speed started to fall when gaming, and my fps was going down slightly. A month later, my Clock bounced up and down constantly from 700mhz and 1300-1400MHz. A month or two later again after a few driver updates, the clock speed was stable, 1400mhz when not gaming, but as soon as I start gaming or the gpu gets under load, the clock speed falls down dramatically, to about 600mhz and stays like that when under load. As soon as the GPU stops being under load, it goes back to the normal idle 1400mhz. (that is the state it is right now) The voltage at idle is 700-785mV when under load it goes DOWN to 500-600mV, I'm suspecting that the voltage is the cause of this problem, please help me!

13 Replies Related Threads

Nikola Ghanty
    Re: EVGA SC17 1070 GPU voltage broken 2017/12/03 02:16:04 (permalink)
    Also is there an update for the sc17 1070 Video BIOS?
    AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: EVGA SC17 1070 GPU voltage broken 2017/12/03 11:05:46 (permalink)
    I'd say seriously overheating?? Any gpu monitoring thst would show the temps of the chip?

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA SC17 1070 GPU voltage broken 2017/12/03 15:12:11 (permalink)
    Does the issue occur on both ac & battery?
    Nikola Ghanty
    Re: EVGA SC17 1070 GPU voltage broken 2017/12/04 04:03:42 (permalink)
    AHowes
    I'd say seriously overheating?? Any gpu monitoring thst would show the temps of the chip?

No temps are below 65c, even on full load for a long time
    Sajin
    Does the issue occur on both ac & battery?

Yes, it occurs on both AC and Battery. I can't game on battery anyways
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: EVGA SC17 1070 GPU voltage broken 2017/12/04 04:09:52 (permalink)
    Have you tried using DDU in safe mode and reinstalling the GPU drivers that didn't give you this issue?
    Nikola Ghanty
    Re: EVGA SC17 1070 GPU voltage broken 2017/12/04 05:11:57 (permalink)
    arestavo
    Have you tried using DDU in safe mode and reinstalling the GPU drivers that didn't give you this issue?

I've tried that, still didn't work
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: EVGA SC17 1070 GPU voltage broken 2017/12/04 07:12:13 (permalink)
    Nikola Ghanty
    arestavo

Then I'd either restore Windows to a time that you didn't have this issue, if you can't then try a reinstall of Windows. This will eliminate the software being the culprit, whether Windows itself or third party software. Save your important files to a removable drive first, of course. 

There is even the possibility that a mandatory Windows 10 update, like the Fall Creators update, is the culprit.

If you don't want to try that, then it's time to contact EVGA and see about warranty replacement - https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/
    Nikola Ghanty
    Re: EVGA SC17 1070 GPU voltage broken 2017/12/05 03:11:36 (permalink)
    arestavo
    Nikola Ghanty
    arestavo

Then I'd either restore Windows to a time that you didn't have this issue, if you can't then try a reinstall of Windows. This will eliminate the software being the culprit, whether Windows itself or third party software. Save your important files to a removable drive first, of course. 

There is even the possibility that a mandatory Windows 10 update, like the Fall Creators update, is the culprit.

If you don't want to try that, then it's time to contact EVGA and see about warranty replacement - 

I will try that very soon, for now, I'm contacting EVGA support. It could be the overclock I put on it. I put +175 on the core and +800 on the memory
    EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: EVGA SC17 1070 GPU voltage broken 2017/12/05 10:01:42 (permalink)
    Moving to the Laptop section.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: EVGA SC17 1070 GPU voltage broken 2017/12/05 17:30:39 (permalink)
    Nikola Ghanty
    arestavo
    Nikola Ghanty
    arestavo

If you don't want to try that, then it's time to contact EVGA and see about warranty replacement - 

I will try that very soon, for now, I'm contacting EVGA support. It could be the overclock I put on it. I put +175 on the core and +800 on the memory

800 on the memory is quite high, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if that is causing issues. However, you can't damage the components using PrecisonX or MSI Afterburner to overclock - but corrupting software due to instability is possible.

When you have issues you should always start by setting everything back to stock - the CPU, GPU, RAM, voltages... all should be stock for testing when a problem crops up. Then, if everything works at stock settings, you can start finding stable overclocks one component at a time.

If you were running everything stock, then that's when you ask for help from users on the forums or from EVGA directly.
    post edited by arestavo - 2017/12/05 17:33:37
    Nikola Ghanty
    Re: EVGA SC17 1070 GPU voltage broken 2017/12/06 07:27:37 (permalink)
    arestavo
    Nikola Ghanty
    arestavo
    Nikola Ghanty
    arestavo

800 on the memory is quite high, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if that is causing issues. However, you can't damage the components using PrecisonX or MSI Afterburner to overclock - but corrupting software due to instability is possible.

When you have issues you should always start by setting everything back to stock - the CPU, GPU, RAM, voltages... all should be stock for testing when a problem crops up. Then, if everything works at stock settings, you can start finding stable overclocks one component at a time.

If you were running everything stock, then that's when you ask for help from users on the forums or from EVGA directly.

I have tried that too. Still doesn't work. I've tried to update and reset my EVGA BIOS, doesn't work. I've installed latest NVidia drivers, t doesn't work. The only thing I could do is to reset the VBios but I don't know how.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: EVGA SC17 1070 GPU voltage broken 2017/12/06 07:50:48 (permalink)
    Nikola Ghanty
    arestavo
    Nikola Ghanty
    arestavo
    Nikola Ghanty
    arestavo

I have tried that too. Still doesn't work. I've tried to update and reset my EVGA BIOS, doesn't work. I've installed latest NVidia drivers, t doesn't work. The only thing I could do is to reset the VBios but I don't know how.

Then the next step is a fresh install of Windows, or contacting EVGA about a RMA. 

As for the VBIOS, there isn't a reason to reset it as long as you didn't flash a modded version since PrecisionX and Afterburner are software only (after uninstalling them, their settings aren't applied within Windows).
    post edited by arestavo - 2017/12/06 07:52:04
    Nikola Ghanty
    Re: EVGA SC17 1070 GPU voltage broken 2017/12/10 22:48:21 (permalink)
    arestavo
    Nikola Ghanty
    arestavo
    Nikola Ghanty
    arestavo
    Nikola Ghanty
    arestavo

Then the next step is a fresh install of Windows, or contacting EVGA about a RMA. 

As for the VBIOS, there isn't a reason to reset it as long as you didn't flash a modded version since PrecisionX and Afterburner are software only (after uninstalling them, their settings aren't applied within Windows).

I've moved my games to the drive D: and removed the 2.5 in hhd, reset windows with keep personal files on, put the HHD back in and reinstalled latest drivers, but nope the voltage is still broken at 620-780mV. I'm still getting bad performance out of the card with only 70-110fps on destiny 2 at med-high settings 1080p :\ 
    post edited by Nikola Ghanty - 2017/12/10 22:49:41
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile