EVGA

Helpful ReplyEVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue

Author
metalmilt
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/12/15 17:17:40 (permalink)
Hello, hope everyone is having a good day. I just recieved a EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra that was B Stock in the mail today and let's just say it's a complete lemon. The main symtoms i'm experiencing is black screens, artifacts and freezing when trying to run multiple games. Desktop and day to day tasks seem to work as expected but upon logging into windows when the screen briefly turns black there are green looking artifacts before it shows the desktop. 

Pretty bummed out as i was kinda looking forward to relaxing over the holidays with this new gpu in my hands but then 2020 said we won't be having that. I'm not sure this is the right place to post this as this is the first time i've ever had a major issue with a GPU in my 25 years of fooling with computers.

I troubleshooted my gaming pc and even stuck the rtx 2080ti in my htpc in the living room and it still showed the same symtoms as i described above. Other things i troubleshooted are as follows.

Troubleshooting:
- tried out new power supply 850w
- updated Mobo Bios to latest version
- made sure to use two dedicated PCIE 8pin cables without the daisy chain/pigtail
- switched psu from single rail to multi and vice versa
- swapped ram
- reset bios to default settings to rule out stability issues from my modest OC.
- swapped out my main system ssd for a spare so i could install a fresh windows 10 installation as to rule out OS issues.
- tried different drivers and always cleaned with DDU
- underclocked the GPU which seemed to very very slighty lesson the artifacts and freezing in games
- disconnected all external devices from the pc as to rule out external issues.
- monitored thermals of the systems i tested in and made sure to focus on the GPU temps which were fine with no signs of overheating.
- I put the GPU in my HTPC and it showed the same symtoms as my gaming setup.
- I put my old GPU back in my gaming setup which is a EVGA GTX 1070 FTW and it runs great.
- I was going to test a few more things but i have a day job to attend to.

System Specs:
- CPU: i5 8600k @ 4.5GHz
- RAM: Corsair DDR4 LPX 3000MHz CL15
- SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
- MOBO: Asus Z370 Prime-A
- PSU: Corsair RM850x
- CASE: Corsair Obsidian 750D
- COOLER: Corsair H100i
- Monitor: BenQ EX2780Q 27 Inch 1440P 144Hz
- Noctua Case Fans

I did make a small video and uploaded it to my Youtube channel showing the fun i've been having. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5tvLh8PE1E

post edited by metalmilt - 2020/12/26 05:43:23
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2020/12/16 06:00:43 (permalink)
Contact EVGA and start the warranty replacement process.

https://www.evga.com/rma/

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

metalmilt
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2020/12/16 06:28:28 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Contact EVGA and start the warranty replacement process.

https://www.evga.com/rma/

Thanks for the reply and link, i put in my RMA request a few hours ago, just playing the waiting game for now. Have a good holiday!
metalmilt
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2020/12/16 06:48:59 (permalink)
I got approved for my RMA, now in the process of sending my card off to EVGA tomorrow. Here's hoping i get a working one in return. $53.07 for FedEx Express Saver® with insurance and the works, don't let a brotha down EVGA.

Let the gaming gods praise me! 

post edited by metalmilt - 2020/12/16 20:37:51
metalmilt
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2020/12/24 09:41:22 (permalink)
I think EVGA may be sending me a brand new RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra because under "My Products" it's now showing a card registered to my account with a full 3 year warranty, advanced rma option and the step-up program being available. Also i noticed the new card has the model number 11G-P4-2383-KR and the old B-Stock one that i RMA'ed is listed as 11G-P4-2383-RX. I guess we'll find out on the 30th when it makes it to my home.

*EDIT* Well i checked the warranty of the card that's being sent to me on the EVGA Warranty Check page with it's serial number and it says 1 year warranty, strange as it says in the "My Products" section that it has 3 years of warranty. 
post edited by metalmilt - 2020/12/27 06:35:19
ctiger2
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2020/12/24 11:24:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby metalmilt 2020/12/24 13:03:36
KR = RETAIL
RX = REFURBISHED
KB = Retail Best Buy
metalmilt
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2020/12/29 13:16:05 (permalink)
I got my replacement card today, everything appears to be working so far, i did some 1440p high refresh rate gaming for a couple of hours and my initial impressions are good and it smokes my old GTX 1070 FTW, will have to test it some more when i have some more free time. Thanks EVGA for getting me sorted.
Kngspace
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2020/12/29 19:38:13 (permalink)
Great to hear.
metalmilt
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/02 17:36:16 (permalink)
Little update, i got some more free time from work to fool with my replacement card yesterday and had a problem. Upon powering up my gaming setup, the PC turned on like normal but i got no display signal, the GPU led lights turned off and the fans on the GPU shot up to full speed. I was like.. Hmmm? I then turned off the system and tried again and same thing happened. Since i didn't have time to fool with it further, i just called it a day and went onto my other daily activities.

Today i had couple hours to kill so i put my old GTX 1070 FTW back in the system and had no problems. I stuck the replacement RTX 2080 Ti back in the system, turned the system on and this time is made it to the login screen on Win10 before screen went black and gpu fans went into full speed meltdown mode. I tried powering up the system again and the same thing happened.

My next adventure was putting the RTX 2080 Ti replacement card in my HTPC, i put in it, turned on the system and it did the same as described above, I next unplugged the system from the wall and held the power button for 30secs to drain any residual power from the system, plugged it back it back in and the HTPC system booted no problem to win10. I was baffled and left confused as you can imagine, i was thinking maybe it's a video bios issue, so i reflashed the vBIOS with the same version that it came with and it seems to be working good so far but i'm still testing it as we speak.

The one thing i noticed is that the card likes to do this upon a cold boot after the computer has been sitting off all night because once i got the card to actually boot and got it warmed up then i saw no issues with restarting/shutting down and powering up the computer. Very odd stuff because when i first got the card on Dec 28th, i plugged it up and played some games on it for a couple hours and it was solid with no issues, so who knows.

I'm going to be pissed if i have to blow another $50-60 to ship this back to EVGA. I'm not going to lie but i'm kind of regretting my purchase at this point and i don't have time to waste on downtime.

I hope everyone is having a good New Year so far, take it easy!

*EDIT*
It's doing it again 
post edited by metalmilt - 2021/01/02 21:40:34
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49167
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/02 22:52:48 (permalink)
Time to rma again.
metalmilt
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/02 23:31:39 (permalink)
Sajin
Time to rma again.

Yep, i'm already in contact with support, they replied very quickly. Let the good times roll! 
yoadknux
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/02 23:37:17 (permalink)
Damn dude. I'm sorry that you have to go through this. 
metalmilt
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/03 06:35:22 (permalink)
Just wanted to add a minor note, i just woke up this morning and turned on the computer and it booted fine from a cold start this time, i'm not sure what to think of this GPU, there must be gremlins in it. Just for my own curiosity and since it's Sunday i'm going to test it a little more today to see if i can get the issue to present itself again before shipping it back to EVGA.

I'm going to record a small video and share it if i can get it act how i described in my previous replies. I should of done that to begin with but i was deep in my thoughts at the time trying to figure out what the problem was and i didn't even think to document the issue.

My only theory is maybe there was a brownout or some dirty power in my area with the electricity but i'm not 100% sure as it could very well just be a real issue with the card. Does anyone know if these cards are super sensitive to power fluctuations even if minor? I'm no expert on these matters but i still find it interesting to think about.

*UPDATE* 
So far today in my testing the card has been working fine, i'm not seeing any problems with it flaking out on a cold boot like before. I'm not sure if it's something i did or if it's becoming self-aware. If i RMA it now, EVGA is going to think i'm nuts. Is it possible to cancel a RMA? I've not had much experience with RMA's over the years due to having mostly good luck with various components.
post edited by metalmilt - 2021/01/03 10:03:14
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49167
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/03 14:31:10 (permalink)
Give it some more time. It'll probably act up again.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/03 14:38:52 (permalink)
Can you monitor / read the Voltage from your outlet ... try another outlet .. are you using a UPS ?

How old is your PSU ?  RE first post: "switched psu from single rail to multi and vice versa"

check 12V on your PSU

FAQ

How do I test my power supply?

How can I check my power supply's 12v rail voltage in my motherboard's BIOS?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

metalmilt
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/03 15:38:18 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Can you monitor / read the Voltage from your outlet ... try another outlet .. are you using a UPS ?

How old is your PSU ?  RE first post: "switched psu from single rail to multi and vice versa"

check 12V on your PSU

FAQ

How do I test my power supply?

How can I check my power supply's 12v rail voltage in my motherboard's BIOS?

I didn't check the voltage from the wall yet but i did try different outlets and had the same issue with the card farting out on a cold boot. I'm not using a UPS but been meaning to get one sometime in the future.

The Corsair 850w PSU is from late 2017 in the i5 8600k build. The PSU in my HTPC has recently got replaced due to the old PSU sligtly overvolting the 3.3v rail and thus tripping the motherboard overcurrent protection making the system shutdown, it now has a Corsair 750w that i got at the end of 2019. I did check the 12v readings in both systems and everything looks good from my observations.

So far it's still working (knock on wood!). I'm not sure what changed, the only thing i can think of was the vBios flash, strange thing is i flashed it once early in my troubleshooting stage and it was still having the cold boot issue and then later on after trying everything i could think of, out of desperation i said screw it and flashed the vBios a second time, to be more specific, i made a backup of the original vBios and then reflashed that backup, i didn't get some random vBios from from shady part of the internet or anything. I played about 6 chapters of Mafia: Definitive Edition on my lazy Sunday and everything has been rosey thus far, so who knows. If it acts up again then i'm going to for sure RMA it without hesistation. Thanks for the reply buddy!
post edited by metalmilt - 2021/01/03 15:58:42
micfogas
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/03 18:58:09 (permalink)
I'm wondering if there's an issue with your card seating, even though you're using different systems.

One thing to definitely try. If your good supports setting the PCIe slot lanes, try forcing it to 8x. Also, try using the 2nd PCIe full size slot on your motherboard instead. Even try adding the 1070 into the 2nd slot to force both into 8x. Would be curious to see if the issue persists with only using 8 lanes instead of 16. Next time you have the issue,try as many of these options as possible.

I wonder if something is up with your primary PCIe slot, like debris or a bent pin. Something just enough to damage a pin on the gfx card, which would then intermittently affect the card in ANY slot. Just bouncing ideas around that haven't been mentioned yet.
micfogas
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/03 19:07:54 (permalink)
Also be sure to go with a Line Interactive UPS if/when you get one. A Standby type (most basic cheap ones that don't have displays, but there are some LI type without displays) is not going to offer you the protection you need.
metalmilt
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/03 23:33:13 (permalink)
micfogas
I'm wondering if there's an issue with your card seating, even though you're using different systems.

One thing to definitely try. If your good supports setting the PCIe slot lanes, try forcing it to 8x. Also, try using the 2nd PCIe full size slot on your motherboard instead. Even try adding the 1070 into the 2nd slot to force both into 8x. Would be curious to see if the issue persists with only using 8 lanes instead of 16. Next time you have the issue,try as many of these options as possible.

I wonder if something is up with your primary PCIe slot, like debris or a bent pin. Something just enough to damage a pin on the gfx card, which would then intermittently affect the card in ANY slot. Just bouncing ideas around that haven't been mentioned yet.

micfogas
Also be sure to go with a Line Interactive UPS if/when you get one. A Standby type (most basic cheap ones that don't have displays, but there are some LI type without displays) is not going to offer you the protection you need.

I'll be sure to take these tips into consideration if it acts up again, looking into the LI UPS also. i kindly thank you for your input buddy. 

metalmilt
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/05 08:58:17 (permalink)
The gremlins are back up to their old tricks again and this time i remembered to document it. This is off a cold boot after the system has been powered off overnight for around 11hrs. If i keep fooling around with restarting it and sometimes by draining the power from the system it will eventually boot into windows and the card works as normal with no other issues. This is the only issue i've been having with this card, i streamed and gamed with the card for about 3 1/2 hours with no issues yesterday from 11AM - 2PM EST, it's been a solid performer in that regard, it just has a obvious issue when the card sits for a extended ammount of time and then is powered up again is when the issues arise. I'm not sure what else to do and i'm not looking forward to another RMA to be honest considering the first card i got before this replacement was a dud also with the black screens, freezing and artifacts as i documented in this thread. I'm thinking about just selling it for parts on Ebay and moving on. Back to my trusty EVGA GTX 1070 FTW! Video link below for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCCILwtZmyk
metalmilt
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/06 18:40:46 (permalink)
EVGA offered to give me a Advanced RMA and i got approved to submit my debit card information for collateral but the site is not taking my card. i'm going to call my bank in the morning. If it's not one thing it's something else. haha.

It says the following when i submit my card details...

Mastercard Identity Check Authentication Failed, In order to protect you against potential eCommerce fraud, this card cannot be used to complete this transaction at this time.

Please contact the customer service number for your financial institution, which is typically found on the back of your card.
metalmilt
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/07 06:55:44 (permalink)
I called my bank and they said everything looks good on their end and the women i talked to took her sweet time and even called some places to see what the problem could be, so now what? This is getting kind of ridiculous at this point in the game.

metalmilt
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/07 09:46:25 (permalink)
Welp called EVGA support and they couldn't do anything besides offer me a standard RMA because for whatever reason their system won't accept my card even though it's works everywhere else Mastercard is accepted which is like everywhere besides at EVGA apparently. I'm embracing the downtime at this point.
aka_STEVE_b
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 17692
  • Ribbons : 69
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/07 10:51:48 (permalink)
You have some fairly awful luck , it seems.

I'll try to wish some of my Good luck  your way ....

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
metalmilt
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/07 14:17:17 (permalink)
aka_STEVE_b
You have some fairly awful luck , it seems.

I'll try to wish some of my Good luck  your way ....

That's life, i've been through far worse, this is more of an annoyance than anything. Thanks for sending me good vibes. 
metalmilt
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/27 16:06:43 (permalink)
I got my replacement card today, everything seems to be in working order for now. The card looks like brand new and was manufactured this year. Thanks EVGA and the community. Hopefully this is the end of this thread. Take is easy everyone!

- Milt
xiZeroPoinTix
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/01/28 16:10:35 (permalink)
Hope you figure it out man!
metalmilt
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/02/18 03:46:49 (permalink)
Just a little update, card is still working great. I've beat the hell of it since i got it in the mail, let's hope it stays that way. 
freakdaddy64
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 784
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra: B-Stock Issue 2021/02/19 04:48:30 (permalink)
i rma a 2080ti xc i got from bstock for overheating and they didnt have one so they sent me a 2080ti xc ultra at original purchase i paid for overnight shipping so they sent me xc ultra overnight so i would have it by thanksgiving ,so it was a 10 day turn around which was great and my xc ultra is a beast and running great now for almost 3 months. when i boot up pc i hear the fans crank up for a second and once im  up it settles down i think its part of the starting process and while im gaming in codcw temps never go higher then 60 and it runs cooler then my ryzen 5 3600. i hope it works out for you because its really a awsome card, i just hope it out lives its 1 year warranty lol.

asus rog strix b550 f gaming ryzen 7 5800x3d cpu gskill trident z neo rgb ddr4 3600 ram sabrent 2tb ssd m.2 storage sabrent 1tb boot asus rog 4080 oc corsair 5000d case evga supernova 1000 t2 psu
nzxt x73 rgb 360 cooler
asus rog xg349c 34 inch display
asus rog xg27aqm 27 inch 1440p 270 hz monitor THE SMOOTH OPERATOR
Associate Code: YLOPU45V2M8FQL9

Elite ID: 2RWCT4B87YQYR15NNQO

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile