Hot!EVGA Precision X1 Causing Stuttering

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
EVGATech_JacobB
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 503
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: EVGA Precision X1 Causing Stuttering 2019/03/16 18:56:10 (permalink)
Hello,

I have seen some user report that Precision X1 can cause stuttering in games, and it also seems that if you lower the process priority in Task manager, this has helped some people with this issue. As this is something that can mess with Windows and how Windows operates, this is not something I can strictly recommend, but is something available for you to test at your own risk to see if this helps.

Regarding to the issue of stuttering, I was unable to personally replicate this issue in two of our bench systems, as well as my own personal system. If you are having an issue with stuttering with Precision X1 open, please provide me the following information:

System Specs:
  • Mobo:
  • CPU:
  • GPU:
  • RAM (+ speed):
  • Hard Drives:
  • PSU:
  • Windows Version:
  • Any overclocking (Y/N):

What games this is noticed in:

Any other relevant information you think we should know:

I will try and compile this information and monitor this to try and get this looked into and replicated. 

-Jacob B.

My System Build - Lian Li O-11 Dynamic case
Always improving. As of 02/09/19 these are my best Benchmarks: Time Spy | Time Spy Extreme | Fire Strike Extreme
MSI X299 Gaming M7 ACK | i7-7820X @4.78 GHz - 1.245v | 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 | G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (4x8GB) @3866 MHz | Corsair AX1200i

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via email or by phone at 1.888.881.3842. Our customer support office is open 24 hours a day, 7 days week.
>You can leave feedback for me here<
AHowes
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4739
  • Ribbons : 15
Re: EVGA Precision X1 Causing Stuttering 2019/03/16 20:53:40 (permalink)
Yeah I've yet to.see stuttering on my week old 2080ti ftw3 ultra using px1.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Dual Custom Water Loops.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra w/ Evga Hydro Copper 2205/8450Mhz Max clock.   
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Tower 900 w/ 2x EK D5 pump/Res combo, 2 EK XE 480 Rads.
Sphericube
  • Total Posts : 41
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA Precision X1 Causing Stuttering 2019/03/17 06:28:17 (permalink)
EVGATech_JacobB
Hello,

I have seen some user report that Precision X1 can cause stuttering in games, and it also seems that if you lower the process priority in Task manager, this has helped some people with this issue. As this is something that can mess with Windows and how Windows operates, this is not something I can strictly recommend, but is something available for you to test at your own risk to see if this helps.

Regarding to the issue of stuttering, I was unable to personally replicate this issue in two of our bench systems, as well as my own personal system. If you are having an issue with stuttering with Precision X1 open, please provide me the following information:

System Specs:
  • Mobo:
  • CPU:
  • GPU:
  • RAM (+ speed):
  • Hard Drives:
  • PSU:
  • Windows Version:

I will try and compile this information and monitor this to try and get this looked into and replicated. 

-Jacob B.

Hello Jacob,
as you know my 2080ti FTW3 is dead just after few days :( but I had enough time to test Precision X1
The micro stutter I was mentioning is very subtile. 
Indeed you probably won't notice it during a normal game play, but it really exists.
You can check it with benchmarks like Time Spy where you get always lower score with Precision X1 running in background.
During benchmark, check the fps counter and you will see an instant drop every second, thus resulting in lower average fps and lower final score.
Normally, fps should vary smoothly in this benchmark, but with PX1 it's like shaking every second.
I guess it's related to the monitoring, because when you start your Windows with PX1 minimized, then there is no stutter because monitoring has not yet started, until you click on its icon in the task bar.
I tried to disable all monitored values, or to increase monitoring delay to more than 1s, but the shaking remains every second.

From my long experience with MSI Afterburner, it's the same behavior only if you enable "Power" monitoring in Afterburner.
It's like if PX1 is doing some power monitoring in the background every second.
You can check all the Nvidia statement about it in their driver release note:
"Using power monitoring in GPU monitor tools causes micro stutter. [2110289/2049879]"

post edited by Sphericube - 2019/03/17 06:48:21

"J'adorerais changer le monde, mais ils ne veulent pas me fournir le code source"

dsublett
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: EVGA Precision X1 Causing Stuttering 2019/03/17 08:18:47 (permalink)
EVGATech_JacobB
Hello,

System Specs:
  • Mobo: Asus Maximus VIII Hero
  • CPU: Intel i7 6700
  • GPU: EVGA 2080ti ftw3 ultra
  • RAM (+ speed): Corsair 32 gbs DDR4 at 1600
  • Hard Drives: 2 SSD / 1 4TB Seagate/ 1 4TB HGST
  • PSU: EVGA 750
  • Windows Version: Win 10 1809 17763.379
  • Any overclocking (Y/N): N

What games this is noticed in:  Source Engine specifically Team Fortress 2

Any other relevant information you think we should know:  G-sync monitor could be relevant

-Jacob B.

I disabled all power monitoring as well and still had the stutter.  It's completely repeatable all I have to do is turn x1 on and off.  On = stutter and Off = smooth. 
I did some further testing with HWM on again and when I set the process priority to below normal and low the stutter went away.  I tried this with gsync on and off and had the same results. Hopefully this helps.

Can we set the process to low and still have x1 function properly?

post edited by dsublett - 2019/03/17 08:46:44
EVGATech_JacobB
EVGA Tech Support
Re: EVGA Precision X1 Causing Stuttering 2019/03/17 12:24:20 (permalink)
dsublett
I disabled all power monitoring as well and still had the stutter.  It's completely repeatable all I have to do is turn x1 on and off.  On = stutter and Off = smooth. 
I did some further testing with HWM on again and when I set the process priority to below normal and low the stutter went away.  I tried this with gsync on and off and had the same results. Hopefully this helps.

Can we set the process to low and still have x1 function properly?

I have not seen reported issues with this, but again it is an "at your own risk" thing to try.

-Jacob B.

Always improving. As of 02/09/19 these are my best Benchmarks: Time Spy | Time Spy Extreme | Fire Strike Extreme
MSI X299 Gaming M7 ACK | i7-7820X @4.78 GHz - 1.245v | 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 | G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (4x8GB) @3866 MHz | Corsair AX1200i

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via email or by phone at 1.888.881.3842. Our customer support office is open 24 hours a day, 7 days week.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 35896
  • Ribbons : 191
Re: EVGA Precision X1 Causing Stuttering 2019/03/17 13:26:14 (permalink)
EVGATech_JacobB
Hello,

System Specs:
  • Mobo:
  • CPU:
  • GPU:
  • RAM (+ speed):
  • Hard Drives:
  • PSU:
  • Windows Version:

-Jacob B.

Want to save 5 to 10% on your next EVGA purchase? Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it.

Fratox
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: EVGA Precision X1 Causing Stuttering 2019/03/18 09:37:26 (permalink)
X1 is not mandatory for use the card right ?
Sphericube
  • Total Posts : 41
Re: EVGA Precision X1 Causing Stuttering 2019/03/18 09:54:02 (permalink)
Fratox

Not mandatory but highly recommended because it's the only tool made by EVGA compatible with their own technologie like ICX2.
In my case (2080ti FTW3), bios 1 fan profil is too loud, and bios 2 is even worse!
Only with PX1 I can take control over the 3 asynchronous fans.
It's why we are counting on the developement team to fix and improve this essential tool :)
post edited by Sphericube - 2019/03/18 09:57:32

"J'adorerais changer le monde, mais ils ne veulent pas me fournir le code source"

Fratox
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: EVGA Precision X1 Causing Stuttering 2019/03/18 10:02:19 (permalink)
In my case the bios fan profil 1 is ok, i dont hear the card so I will keep X1 uninstalled until a new version then try.
EVGATech_JacobB
EVGA Tech Support
Re: EVGA Precision X1 Causing Stuttering 2019/03/18 12:56:52 (permalink)
Fratox

No, not mandatory. The card has a fan curve in the vBIOS that will adjust itself based on the temperature of the card, and the card will also boost itself on its own as well.

-Jacob B.

dsublett
Re: EVGA Precision X1 Causing Stuttering 2019/03/21 17:16:25 (permalink)
Is this issue going to be addressed?

psychoRez
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA Precision X1 Causing Stuttering 2019/03/23 03:59:30 (permalink)
I can't believe it.

I suspected my windows 10. My CPU being a bottleneck. My Hard disk (Ssd on the way) and simply the vid card itself. Only to turn out it was the percision X1 software all a long!

Goddamn games finally running butter smooth without it. Thank you for this thread. Fixed it for me
dsublett
Re: EVGA Precision X1 Causing Stuttering 2019/03/23 06:14:29 (permalink)
psychoRez
I can't believe it.

I suspected my windows 10. My CPU being a bottleneck. My Hard disk (Ssd on the way) and simply the vid card itself. Only to turn out it was the percision X1 software all a long!

Goddamn games finally running butter smooth without it. Thank you for this thread. Fixed it for me

You're welcome. I have spent a lot of time investigating this issue myself.  Unfortunately, as usual I feel like EVGA has been dismissive once again.  I know above Jacob says he is looking into it, but after I found the exact symptom / problem he went silent. I feel like EVGA thinks if having x1 on normal priority causes the stutter then the user can simply lower the priority every time they resart their pc.  I would rather see the issue get fixed.

Since there is no simple way to lower the process priority permanently I am forced once again to rely on MSI Afterburner.  I would much prefer to have x1 functioning properly so that I can control all of the fans and monitor icx sensors.
psychoRez
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA Precision X1 Causing Stuttering 2019/03/23 06:52:18 (permalink)
Yeah it was causing me stress.  I mean if this piece of software is causing so many issues how about just owning up and giving your customers alternatives/advice. You'd get more respect.

So MSI afterburner doesn't give you this issue?  I thought I read somewhere it's the same issue.    TBH I'll just run without and rely on the default vanilla fan setting.    Had this card for more than a week and I finally feel like I'm getting my money's worth.   Here's hoping they do fix Precision x1 because some of the features are nice.

Again,  Really appreciate it!
dsublett
Re: EVGA Precision X1 Causing Stuttering 2019/03/23 08:11:11 (permalink)
psychoRez
Yeah it was causing me stress.  I mean if this piece of software is causing so many issues how about just owning up and giving your customers alternatives/advice. You'd get more respect.

So MSI afterburner doesn't give you this issue?  I thought I read somewhere it's the same issue.    TBH I'll just run without and rely on the default vanilla fan setting.    Had this card for more than a week and I finally feel like I'm getting my money's worth.   Here's hoping they do fix Precision x1 because some of the features are nice.

Again,  Really appreciate it!

Afterburner absolutely has no issues. However, it only controls a single fan -- but completely dependable.  I'd be fine with the vbios curve on the fans and no software but EVGA is too conservative for my tastes and I don't want my gpu and memory to run that hot.

GTXJackBauer
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4713
  • Ribbons : 24
Re: EVGA Precision X1 Causing Stuttering 2019/03/23 18:52:57 (permalink)
Setting up what you need in PX1 and closing it fixes it for me for the time being.  You could try that.

Looking to purchase a EVGA 2080 Ti Kingpin and a EVGA KingPin Waterblock? 

Use this Associate Code to get 5%-10% discounts on all your EVGA purchases:  LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Use this Rewards Code below when registering your EVGA products.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile