EVGA

EVGA PSU's causing tripping of AFCI breakers

Author
contoursvt
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/08/13 19:06:26 (permalink)
So I've got a couple dedicated lines put in and my main machines have EVGA supplies - EVGA 1000GQ and the other is an EVGA 850BQ.  They are both 5950x systems. The 1000GQ system has a 6800XT graphics card and the 850BQ has a 6600XT.  

Both systems cause tripping of the breaker (one or both on the same circuit - doesnt matter.  Also note that this is a dedicated AFCI breaker, not the breaker in the panel itself.   

Last ditch effort, I swapped the supplies with spare units from work (One is an Antec 750W Pro - I think made by Seasonic) and the other is a 650W Seasonic.  Neither of those in the same systems will trip the breakers.  Swapped back the EVGAs and I get tripping.

I came across another thread somewhere online about people with EVGA supplies having some issues. Can anyone else confirm anything like this?

7 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA PSU's causing tripping of AFCI breakers 2022/08/13 20:59:03 (permalink)
    Did you try replacing the AFCI breaker? They are notorious for going bad and tripping for nuisance faults. Just a consideration.
    Is an AFCI breaker required for that circuit? AFCI breakers are notorious for being incompatible with certain loads. Even a simple surge protector may be incompatible. The PSU has high frequency circuitry inside which can cause abnormal harmonics on the line which the AFCI doesn't like.
    I wouldn't use an AFCI unless it is required for some reason, or you have reason to believe that hasty or cheap electricians mutilated that circuit.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2022/08/13 21:10:37

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Michapolys
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 199
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: EVGA PSU's causing tripping of AFCI breakers 2022/08/13 21:52:01 (permalink)
    Do they trip when you flip the PSU switch, or when the system is running?
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: EVGA PSU's causing tripping of AFCI breakers 2022/08/14 02:30:54 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Did you try replacing the AFCI breaker? They are notorious for going bad and tripping for nuisance faults. Just a consideration.
    Is an AFCI breaker required for that circuit? AFCI breakers are notorious for being incompatible with certain loads. Even a simple surge protector may be incompatible. The PSU has high frequency circuitry inside which can cause abnormal harmonics on the line which the AFCI doesn't like.
    I wouldn't use an AFCI unless it is required for some reason, or you have reason to believe that hasty or cheap electricians mutilated that circuit.

+10000000..... great advice here. If you can replace them, there not legally required or some other stupid policy etc..., then do it cause in the future they will only give you more headaches.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    contoursvt
    Re: EVGA PSU's causing tripping of AFCI breakers 2022/08/15 10:10:37 (permalink)
    I have not tried replacing them, only because its only tripping with the EVGA supplies for some reason, but fine with the other power supplies. Unfortunately its required for my area for anything considered a living space. 

So I guess I'll sell the EVGA PSU's and move on. Thanks again btw.

ty_ger07

ty_ger07

contoursvt
    Re: EVGA PSU's causing tripping of AFCI breakers 2022/08/15 10:12:48 (permalink)
    Michapolys
    Do they trip when you flip the PSU switch, or when the system is running?

Seems to be only when running and its not all the time, might be a few hours in or a day later but it trips, but if I swap to the other PSUs (non EVGA), its fine for weeks. So only thing I can think of is the EVGA supplies produce some noise on the line that the AFCI thinks is an arc so I guess I'll have to just sell the EVGA supplies and go with something else. At least in this case the Antec Pro and Seasonic dont seem to cause issues.
    Michapolys
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 199
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: EVGA PSU's causing tripping of AFCI breakers 2022/08/15 15:26:38 (permalink)
    Thing is, the GQ and the BQ have nothing in common in terms of design. The topology is different, although one is a derivative of the other. The OEM is different. The FETs and even capacitor layout is different.

You do have a point regarding noise though. Forward topologies are somewhat noisy on the line (both bq and gq are forward derivatives). It might as well be them introducing emi/rfi noise and the circuit breaker being overly sensitive to such interference.
    contoursvt
    Re: EVGA PSU's causing tripping of AFCI breakers 2022/08/15 17:10:27 (permalink)
    Michapolys
    Thing is, the GQ and the BQ have nothing in common in terms of design. The topology is different, although one is a derivative of the other. The OEM is different. The FETs and even capacitor layout is different.

You do have a point regarding noise though. Forward topologies are somewhat noisy on the line (both bq and gq are forward derivatives). It might as well be them introducing emi/rfi noise and the circuit breaker being overly sensitive to such interference.

Whats interesting is that as I've been doing research, it does seem pretty common and though I guess it can happen with any manufacturer, it seems more posts about this happening online with EVGA - unless its because EVGA is a very popular PSU brand and thats why.

I wish there was an actual study done about the type of noise that can trip AFCI's and what PCU's emit more of it. I'm trying to poke around and see what I find. So far the Seasonic Focus has been rock solid - which I borrowed from work so I think I'll just buy one of those for now to get by this issue. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile