EVGA

EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters

Author
davidg4l
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/11/19 11:54:23 (permalink)
Can't get rid of the audio stutters. Nothing I tried from other forums work. Please help
First off, I'm using; 
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8-Core Processor
MPG 570 Gaming Edge Wifi motherboard
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2070
Windows 1909 (OS Build 18363.476)

Next, the thing's I have tried;
-Changing the ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver version multiple times (116261, 116291 and the latest 116581). I saw how other people have 3 drivers for this like the ASMedia USB3.1 version but I just can't seem to get it no matter what. Numerous downloads and manual driver installs just wont work. I'm stuck with this one driver.
-Updating all my other drivers
-Updating my BIOS firmware 
-Disabling Audio Enhancement from BIOS settings
-Enabling/Disabling the A-XMP profile from BIOS (somehow more stutters when enabled so I'm suspecting this is an AMD issue)
-Updating Windows to the latest version
-Using old EVGA NU Audio drivers and the latest one, including the 2.1.1 beta
-Changing PCI-e slots
-Changing sample rate 
-Changing the power plan.

So i'm pretty stuck here guys, I don't know what else to do. I noticed some threads about the crackling noise when changing volume and I've seen it go away when I was trying different drivers ect, but at this point I dont care if it crackles like crazy when I'm changing the volume, I just want the audio stutters gone.
It's really unfortunate, the sound quality from this soundcard is amazing but the audio stutters are killing me. 

17 Replies Related Threads

jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 628
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters 2019/11/19 20:28:57 (permalink)
    I am wondering how many of these Audio "Drop Outs" and "Crackling" issues are being caused by DPC Latency issues that may or may not be caused by the NU Audio Drivers... Check out this link, https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/solving-dpc-latency-issues/.
    post edited by jasoncodispoti - 2019/11/19 20:31:35

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

davidg4l
    Re: EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters 2019/11/20 13:52:24 (permalink)
    Wow, that link was really good, I haven't seen anything related to it mentioned in any of the forum threads here. I did try the program and it did say;

"Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates. "

So far I've only tried disabling Windows Defender or msmpeng.svc and disabling page files but its still the same. 
    I looked at the highest DPC count and ASMedia xHCI Host Controller Driver is up there with 1016968. So I figured this is solely the driver, but again I dont know what version should I get, already tried the old one and the updated one but its just slight differences with major dropouts still being there.
    EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    Re: EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters 2019/11/20 15:28:13 (permalink)
    davidg4l
    Wow, that link was really good, I haven't seen anything related to it mentioned in any of the forum threads here. I did try the program and it did say;

"Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates. "

So far I've only tried disabling Windows Defender or msmpeng.svc and disabling page files but its still the same. 
    I looked at the highest DPC count and ASMedia xHCI Host Controller Driver is up there with 1016968. So I figured this is solely the driver, but again I dont know what version should I get, already tried the old one and the updated one but its just slight differences with major dropouts still being there.

I know we reached out to ASMedia at one point regarding this issue.  Let me follow up again.

jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    Re: EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters 2019/11/20 20:31:45 (permalink)
    In my experience almost all cases where people report having audio "drop outs", "clicks", and "pops" its related to DPC Latency issues. I would imagine that most of the reported cases for the NU Audio card are also related to DPC Latency issues, as we are seeing with your case. The question and than the subsequent issue is, what is causing the DPC Latency issues? And how do you fix it, if you even can?  It is certainly possible that the NU Audio card is a factor however I would say its probably not in most cases, especially yours. It would appear that the software you ran is indicating that you may have some issues with power settings and buggy BIOS. However it appears that you have already installed the newest BIOS... 

Have to warn you, troubleshooting DPC Latency issues is an absolute nightmare and even if you can determine what is causing it most likely you will not be able to do anything about it....

My suggestion is as follows...
    1. Update the BIOS to the most current version available especially since you are running AMD. 
    2. Re-install Windows 10, clean install delete everything off of the PC. You are going to want to create a media disk with Windows 10 on it (can be USB). 
      • Do NOT connect the PC to the internet at all during this process. This is a critical step as you need to prevent Windows from downloading and installing any drivers. This means that you are going to need to download all of the drivers for your PC onto a USB Drive prior to re-installing Windows. You are also going to need to make sure that you download the DPC Latency checker software as well and save that to the USB Drive. 
      • Prior to installing Windows physically remove and/or disable as much hardware as you possibly can; SD Card readers, optical drives, non critical PCIe cards, USB 3.1, USB 3.0, SATA controllers if possible, NU Audio card, etc.. 
      • If your PC has integrated graphics remove your Nvidia RTX 2070 from the PC as well. 
      • Any RGB lighting or lighting of any kind also needs to be removed as well as fan controllers if you are using them. 
    3. After re-installing windows, but prior to installing any drivers or any software on the PC, run the DPC Latency checker software. 
    4. Install all drivers; ONLY for the hardware that is installed and enabled. At this point this would include basic things like USB 2.0 and Chipset drivers everything else should be disabled or disconnected. 
    5. Run the DPC Latency checker software. 
    6. One at a time enable/connect any additional hardware...
      1. Physically connect the hardware/enable the hardware in the BIOS.
      2. Run the DPC Latency checker. 
      3. Reboot
      4. Install the driver for said hardware
      5. Reboot
      6. Run the DPC Latency checker. 
      7. Repeat this process for all of the hardware that you need to install/enable. 
    7. Once all of the above has been done than you can allow the PC to connect to the internet. Of course if at any point you encounter high DPC Latency STOP and report back on here. 
    post edited by jasoncodispoti - 2019/11/20 20:36:44

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

lewisgrimshaw
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters 2019/11/24 15:23:22 (permalink)
    Have followed all the reads with similar issues, new card here

amd 3600x
    msi x570

lags every 20 seconsds and audio drops out? Is there a fix?
    jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    Re: EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters 2019/11/25 05:50:30 (permalink)
    lewisgrimshaw
    Have followed all the reads with similar issues, new card here

amd 3600x
    msi x570

lags every 20 seconsds and audio drops out? Is there a fix?

Have you used the software/guide above to pin point what is causing the issue? Fixing these types of issues as mentioned above is not exactly easy and really has to be done in two parts; Part One, identify what is causing the issue. Part Two, determine if there is anything that you can do to resolve or mitigate the issue. 

lewisgrimshaw
    Re: EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters 2019/11/25 07:21:30 (permalink)
    Yep went through most it seems like a hardware issue, have initiated a return
    dgahhhn
    Re: EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters 2019/11/25 08:45:56 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    davidg4l

I know we reached out to ASMedia at one point regarding this issue.  Let me follow up again.

Lee, did ASMedia respond to you yet?
    I have been experiencing the same stuttering and suspect the driver may be the cause... :(
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters 2019/11/25 10:39:56 (permalink)
    The challenge for us is that we're not able to reproduce it on a similar test configuration.

Our main engineer would like to know if disabling C-States in the motherboard BIOS helps at all.  Otherwise, we're still looking into it, but it's a bit frustrating at the moment since we can't seem to recreate the issue.

If any of you want to give more detail about your system and/or the steps you're taking to recreate the issue, that helps. 
    AnunnakiVimana
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters 2019/11/26 09:20:17 (permalink)
    I am running an X470/3900X AMD system and have no lags or drops so far.

What I did prior to driver installation was (general mandatory for AMD systems):
    - update to latest BIOS
    - clear CMOS
    - load standard optimized settings
    - set desired parameters
    - disable onboard audio device
    - save, exit, reboot
    - remove folder "AMD" in c: root
    - reinstall latest AMD chipset drivers
    - reboot
    - reinstall RyzenMaster
    - reboot
    ---------
    - install EVGA drivers (had to run setup twice)
    - reboot

Asus Dark Hero | AMD Ryzen 5900X
    XFX RX 6900 XT 319 BLACK| EVGA Nu Audio 5.1
    64GB GSkill TZ 3200 CL14 | Windows 10 Pro H21H2
    dgahhhn
    Re: EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters 2019/11/26 10:37:53 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    The challenge for us is that we're not able to reproduce it on a similar test configuration.

Our main engineer would like to know if disabling C-States in the motherboard BIOS helps at all.  Otherwise, we're still looking into it, but it's a bit frustrating at the moment since we can't seem to recreate the issue.

If any of you want to give more detail about your system and/or the steps you're taking to recreate the issue, that helps. 

Lee, I disabled C-State in my BIOS and now the music had been playing for as smoothly as it could be. No stuttering in the last 15 minutes, which was unimaginable just a few mins ago... (the sound was thrilling and beautiful)
    Please say thanks to Jose for me if you see him. He had spent a huge chunk of time helping me over the phone yesterday. We covered a ton of grounds together but we did not go into the BIOS. Maybe we should add that to the "things to try" list (and definitely before suggesting to reinstall the OS)...
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters 2019/11/26 11:21:26 (permalink)
    dgahhhn
    EVGATech_LeeM

Lee, I disabled C-State in my BIOS and now the music had been playing for as smoothly as it could be. No stuttering in the last 15 minutes, which was unimaginable just a few mins ago... (the sound was thrilling and beautiful)
    Please say thanks to Jose for me if you see him. He had spent a huge chunk of time helping me over the phone yesterday. We covered a ton of grounds together but we did not go into the BIOS. Maybe we should add that to the "things to try" list (and definitely before suggesting to reinstall the OS)...

Thanks for the feedback.  Good to know that this works.
    Raijin09
    Re: EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters 2019/11/26 13:07:09 (permalink)
    I am running an i5 4670 / MSI H97 GAMING 3 / Killer LAN E2205 / Windows 10 64bit system.

While I listening music and when network download speed is going to high or taking network speed test on internet, audio is start to stuttering. in the test, I noticed a short stutter noise occurs while browser is launched either.

I guessed it could be a system's latency problem, so I tested it with on-board audio and but this didn't happen.

Nu Audio has bugs that result in audio stutters as the network download speed increases.

Just done a clean install of Windows 10. I disabled C-State options on BIOS already and tried different Nu Audio and ASMEDIA drivers, changed to USB power keeping settings on device manager, processor state to 100% on power settings but nothing solved this issue.
    post edited by Raijin09 - 2019/11/26 13:14:47
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters 2019/11/26 13:38:34 (permalink)
    Raijin09
    I am running an i5 4670 / MSI H97 GAMING 3 / Killer LAN E2205 / Windows 10 64bit system.

While I listening music and when network download speed is going to high or taking network speed test on internet, audio is start to stuttering. in the test, I noticed a short stutter noise occurs while browser is launched either.

I guessed it could be a system's latency problem, so I tested it with on-board audio and but this didn't happen.

Nu Audio has bugs that result in audio stutters as the network download speed increases.

Just done a clean install of Windows 10. I disabled C-State options on BIOS already and tried different Nu Audio and ASMEDIA drivers, changed to USB power keeping settings on device manager, processor state to 100% on power settings but nothing solved this issue.

How are you listening to audio?  What sort of program or application?  ASIO?
    Raijin09
    Re: EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters 2019/11/26 14:04:29 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    Raijin09

How are you listening to audio?  What sort of program or application?  ASIO?

I use foobar2000 and other media players(like PotPlayer) in DS (or WASAPI shared mode) settings.

Audio stutter does not occur much in normal use, but when download speeds go up rapidly from 0 to 480Mbps, the audio stutter also occurred rapidly.

I saw it happens in any programs that i use.
    Forde
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters 2019/11/28 11:55:06 (permalink)
    I can confirm there is a conflict with power saving settings in bios, at least with the asus tuf z390m pro gaming motherboard. I've bought this card today and have been troubleshooting it the entire afternoon because when I started to play a song in foobar it just hanged after a second of playing and I couldn't play any kind of media with sound in it, I thought at first it was a driver conflict with something else. When I was about to give up I went to the bios and disabled any power saving option I could find and finally it came back to life.
    skinnywigs
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: EVGA Nu Audio audio stutters 2021/06/05 13:50:56 (permalink)
    Just want to say that C-States fixed this issue for me on a dell optiplex =) 
    Thank you. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile