EVGA

EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1 won't power up (no RGB lights and no clicking)

Author
likeucare
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/04/19 22:51:24 (permalink)
Hi there EVGA forum!

I've acquired this nice piece of technology on the last 2019 Holidays and used it on my previous computer without issues.

However, I've built a monster of a new computer lately and unfortunately, the EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1 soundcard won't power up. There's no lights (RGB) nor any clicking sound.

Windows 10, 1909 is fully updated to this date. I've installed all drivers for my peripherals.

Anyhoo...

Here's my specs for my new machine:
CASE: Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL ROG Certified (White) ATX Full Tower
MB: MSI AMD Ryzen MEG X570 GODLIKE
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-CORE, 32-THREAD 3.5 GHz Base Clock / 4.7 GHz Boost Clock
CPU COOLER: Gigabyte AORUS LIQUID COOLER 360 (AIO Liquid Cooler with Circular LCD Display, RGB Fusion 2.0, Triple 120mm ARGB Fans)
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Silver Royal Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3600
GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080Ti Founder's Edition
VIRTUAL REALITY: Oculus Rift Consumer version 1 + Oculus TOUCH
AUDIO: EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1
PSU: Corsair HXi Series High Performance ATX 1200 PLATINUM Certified
MAIN NVMe SSD: Corsair Force Series MP600 2TB Gen 4 PCIe X4
SECONDARY NVMe SSD: Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe Gen 4 X4
HDD0&1: Western Digital Black 3TB
HDD1&2: Western Digital RED PRO 6TB

Specs of my older machine:
CASE: MAINGEAR SHIFT Chassis
MB: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 3960X Six-core 3.3GHz/3.9GHz Turbo 15MB L3 Cache /// OverClocked to 4.225GHz
CPU COOLER: EPIC SuperCooler E3-180 CPU Cooler Sealed AIO Maintenance-Free; 180mm (MAINGEAR Exclusive discontinued CPU Cooler)
RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB GDDR5
AUDIO: Asus Xonar Essence STX
PSU: 1200 Watt Corsair Professional Series AX1200

I've been trying to troubleshoot it for the last few days and I'm seeking more clarity here!

So far, here's what I've been attempting to diagnose:
1) I tried inserting the card into a different PCI-E slot but alas, no dice.
2) I tried to change the PCI-E Generation setting to the GEN2 for the soundcard but nope... no changes.
3) I plugged it back in my older computer to troubleshoot it further and all works without any issues.
4) I've also used an older soundcard, the Asus Xonar Essence STX on my new machine and it works without problems.
5) I've also updated to the latest version for the MSI GODLIKE motherboard... no changes for the soundcard.

I've noticed that the MEG X570 GODLIKE motherboard uses Nahimic drivers for its onboard soundcard. 
6) Nonetheless, I've tried both using the ONBOARD drivers and without them (uninstalled and disabled in windows)... no changes on the EVGA soundcard. (even disabling the onboard soundcard doesn't change anything).

The EVGA soundcard is plugged directly from the PSU with it's own SATA cable. Nothing else is plugged into it.
I tried different SATA cable and no changes... besides, if the ASUS soundcard was working with that SATA cable, that possible issue was eliminated fast.

The EVGA soundcard is the only problem right now before I can finally use this sweet new machine.
Thank you very much in advance for your help!

PS: For in-depth specs information, you can have a look at my Steam profile here:  
post edited by likeucare - 2020/04/20 06:18:12

13 Replies Related Threads

cyber44030
    • Total Posts : 56
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1 won't power up (no RGB lights and no clicking) 2020/04/20 00:26:16 (permalink)
    Does the sound card click when you first power on pc.?
    likeucare
    Re: EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1 won't power up (no RGB lights and no clicking) 2020/04/20 03:32:38 (permalink)
    cyber44030
    Does the sound card click when you first power on pc.?

Hi cyber44030.

Negative. No clicks, no RGB  
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1 won't power up (no RGB lights and no clicking) 2020/04/20 04:43:14 (permalink)
    What is the setup for storage in the computer? Would you happen to be using an M.2 SSD since that can sometimes disable PCI-E slots but normally just one would be shared.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

likeucare
    Re: EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1 won't power up (no RGB lights and no clicking) 2020/04/20 06:16:55 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    What is the setup for storage in the computer? Would you happen to be using an M.2 SSD since that can sometimes disable PCI-E slots but normally just one would be shared.

Hi Hoggle,

I've updated the information of the new computer specs.

To answer here, I use 2 NVME out of 3 spots. 3rd storage is empty. I also use 4 HDD.

Would using a different M.2 spot to a another one change anything?

However, as I've pointed out in my tests... when I use an older Soundcard, the Asus Xonar Essence STX, it works without any issues.

Also, I tried using only one part of the dual PCI-E cards and no dice. 
    cyber44030
    Re: EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1 won't power up (no RGB lights and no clicking) 2020/04/21 14:06:12 (permalink)
    Sound like its not getting power to me. when you first power on the relays for the audio out and headphone cycle. might have to remove your graphics card, m.2 drives and power it with just the ram and cpu and see if it kicks on then. if it doesn't then the card might be dead
    cyber44030
    Re: EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1 won't power up (no RGB lights and no clicking) 2020/04/21 14:08:31 (permalink)
    Also have you tried updating your motherboards bios. latest bios version for that board is 7C34v18

cyber44030
    Re: EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1 won't power up (no RGB lights and no clicking) 2020/04/21 14:24:35 (permalink)
    Forum for your motherboard manufacturer with the same issues you are having. https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=323855.100 and a answer if link does not work. (((Quote from user on MSI forum "Found out why my sound card is messed up including my external sound card when using it on my MSI Creation x570 with MSI Mech 5700xt.  I was reading on AMD official support forum that other users are having problems with their sound cards with their x570 motherboards when using their new Ryzen 7 cpu like my 3700x... It seems to be related to PCIe 4.0 if you have 5700 series card it defaults to PCIe gen4.... for some reason it causes our sound card to drop or stutter or crash. The users advise setting your PCIe from Auto to gen3...   So I went into bios and instead of auto PCIe I picked gen3 on all my PCIe settings in bios. Restarted my computer and bang my sound card (Sound Blaster Ae5) is working again!

I than tried out my external Sound BlasterX G6 (it always bombs) when I play any YouTube video, it worked! I even tried out Sound Blaster Connect program to see if I could use the preset audio mods that enhance your sound it worked with no issue... So I wanted to make sure it was not a fluke when changing your PCIe to Gen3... I restarted my computer and changed the setting back to auto (Uses gen4)... tried out my sound card and bang, it crash and burn, restarted the pc again and changed it back to PCIe gen3.... sound card working again with no issue.

So if any MSI mods see this and have contact with the MSI tech people please tell them about the issue with using PCIe gen4... causing conflicts with our sound cards.....I guess that is why they took away gen4 from later motherboards due to some issues with PCIe gen4...")))

hope that helps

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1 won't power up (no RGB lights and no clicking) 2020/04/21 16:39:18 (permalink)
    Why 3 posts in a row, in two different threads, on the same day? You know, you can edit your post as many times as you want in order to keep adding information.  Trying to reach a certain post count at an accelerated rate?

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1 won't power up (no RGB lights and no clicking) 2020/04/21 16:45:40 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Why 3 posts in a row, in two different threads, on the same day? You know, you can edit your post as many times as you want in order to keep adding information.  Trying to reach a certain post count at an accelerated rate?

This is correct. Try to make your point in less posts. No need to be repetitive. Thanks.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    likeucare
    Re: EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1 won't power up (no RGB lights and no clicking) 2020/04/22 00:52:30 (permalink)
    cyber44030
    1) Sound like its not getting power to me. when you first power on the relays for the audio out and headphone cycle. might have to remove your graphics card, m.2 drives and power it with just the ram and cpu and see if it kicks on then. if it doesn't then the card might be dead

2) Also have you tried updating your motherboards bios. latest bios version for that board is 7C34v18

3) Forum for your motherboard manufacturer with the same issues you are having. and a answer if link does not work. (((Quote from user on MSI forum "Found out why my sound card is messed up including my external sound card when using it on my MSI Creation x570 with MSI Mech 5700xt. I was reading on AMD official support forum that other users are having problems with their sound cards with their x570 motherboards when using their new Ryzen 7 cpu like my 3700x... It seems to be related to PCIe 4.0 if you have 5700 series card it defaults to PCIe gen4.... for some reason it causes our sound card to drop or stutter or crash. The users advise setting your PCIe from Auto to gen3... So I went into bios and instead of auto PCIe I picked gen3 on all my PCIe settings in bios. Restarted my computer and bang my sound card (Sound Blaster Ae5) is working again!
    I than tried out my external Sound BlasterX G6 (it always bombs) when I play any YouTube video, it worked! I even tried out Sound Blaster Connect program to see if I could use the preset audio mods that enhance your sound it worked with no issue... So I wanted to make sure it was not a fluke when changing your PCIe to Gen3... I restarted my computer and changed the setting back to auto (Uses gen4)... tried out my sound card and bang, it crash and burn, restarted the pc again and changed it back to PCIe gen3.... sound card working again with no issue.
    So if any MSI mods see this and have contact with the MSI tech people please tell them about the issue with using PCIe gen4... causing conflicts with our sound cards.....I guess that is why they took away gen4 from later motherboards due to some issues with PCIe gen4...")))

hope that helps

Hi there cyber44030,

1) The soundcard is getting power. I can confirm this about changing the PCIe Gen setting (changed to Gen 3 and even Gen 2). I could install the drivers and it loaded for once... but the card wasn't functional though (no RGB lights nor any clicking).
    The card is not dead... it works flawlessly on my older computer that's based on Intel tech.
    2) I have updated the MSI X570 MEG GODLIKE BIOS to the latest version (which is the 7C34v18) in the beginning and no luck.
    3) The card still doesn't power on and doesn't do any clicking. As I've pointed out in point #1, I changed the PCIe Gen setting to Gen 3 and it was a short lived hope. It seemed to be heading in the right direction though!
    4) I tried different SATA cables: No changes.
    5) I tried different output on the PSU: No changes.
    6) I tried different PCIe lane: No changes.
    7) I tried changing the ASMEDIA drivers and no changes here too.
    8) I even unplugged all parts from the PSU except the motherboard, CPU and soundcard: No changes.
    9) Oh and I did give it a shot with another PSU... alas, no luck here either.

...I do believe the EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1 soundcard has issues with AMD systems... especially X570 and the PCIe Gen 4. Seems to point out in the interface connection with the PCIe and ASMEDIA drivers.

I plugged it back in my older Intel system for testing again and... it Works as expected.

I've now reinstalled it on my new system... awaiting a solution...
    post edited by likeucare - 2020/04/23 10:42:20
    likeucare
    Re: EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1 won't power up (no RGB lights and no clicking) 2020/04/24 13:41:51 (permalink)
    Situation RESOLVED.

I've unplugged and replugged everything back again and somehow, the soundcard works now.
    I've waited a few more hours and tested the card. All is fine now!

Maybe the card had interference or something but the important point is that it works!

Thanks for your help!
    EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1 won't power up (no RGB lights and no clicking) 2020/04/24 14:35:07 (permalink)
    likeucare
    Situation RESOLVED.

I've unplugged and replugged everything back again and somehow, the soundcard works now.

Maybe the card had interference or something but the important point is that it works!

Thanks for your help!

I can't tell you how many times doing something like that fixes things.  Maybe something wasn't originally connected or fully connected, maybe something didn't really want to work as assembled, or maybe enough swear words hadn't yet been said.

Please keep us updated if you continue to have issues.
    likeucare
    Re: EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1 won't power up (no RGB lights and no clicking) 2020/04/25 11:59:53 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    likeucare
    Situation RESOLVED.

Thanks for your help!

I can't tell you how many times doing something like that fixes things.  Maybe something wasn't originally connected or fully connected, maybe something didn't really want to work as assembled, or maybe enough swear words hadn't yet been said.

Please keep us updated if you continue to have issues.

For real! Thing is, I have done it a few times already and I truly don't know how or why... it just works now... "minus the 16 times the details" ;) 

Surely the quantity of swear words helped!

Thanks for all the pointers and help... I really wanted to keep using that amazing soundcard! Love the EVGA products and support!

Y'all have a good day!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile