EVGA

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW GAMING ACX 2.0 inductor shifted?

Author
thebusguy
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/11/12 08:57:52 (permalink)
Hey all,
I purchased a GTX 970 FTW second hand last summer and it appears to have stopped working. When the card is placed in a system, the whole thing just will not boot up (power LED comes on for a split second, fans twitch, and the computer does not post). I've contacted EVGA support and it appears that this card is out of warranty and that EVGA no longer has an out of warranty repair service. With that in mind, I've decided to pull off its cooler and take a look at the components underneath and it seems like one of the inductors has shifted and may be causing the board to short circuit? I suppose it kind of makes sense that if this component were to shift while hot, it would do so in the direction of gravity (it was vertically mounted inside of an HTPC). What do you guys think, is this fixable? Is this a known issue for vertically mounted GPUs?

Attached Image(s)

4 Replies Related Threads

Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW GAMING ACX 2.0 inductor shifted? 2018/11/12 11:17:38 (permalink)
    pretty sure you looked at 970 ftw reviews and looked at pics as these to see what you noticed on that ?

https://www.overclockers.com/evga-gtx970-ftw-graphics-card-review/

if I had to guess   looks like maybe you got a card that went bad as in a burnt / caught fire  / sparking and smoking  as you see a lot of in the 900 series just here in the forums  .

then maybe the guy tried to ''FIX'' it  with a part out of another card  [ why it don't look to match up or fit in place correctly ]  as your pic shows ? + the R22 is not printed on the top as the rest / correct ones ?

then why it was sold off  to you  under that e-bay buyer beware  used parts deal kinda thing  and now maybe you got his card and he got your money  

one thing as well is at the pcie slot blade  [above golden fingers  ]   there is a sticker ?   should have evga as in the review/ pic I linked or it should be NVidia    

maybe wrong but I don't guess I ever got a evga card  or seen one like from my buddies that had a sticker in that spot  on the card   [opinion] ]?

in the end maybe you were lucky it lasted as long as it did and not a paperweight right out of the box when you first got it  for a positive point

that's the thing with 2ed hand / used   

thebusguy
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW GAMING ACX 2.0 inductor shifted? 2018/11/12 12:23:04 (permalink)
    The misaligned component seems to have R22 written on it as well, though it is harder to see. I suspect the component may have gotten really hot and caused it to fade...
    My card looks like the image on the right with EVGA written on it, but I'm not sure what the number on that sticker is. It is neither the serial or part number, which are on stickers on the back of the card.
    I suppose it is nice that the card lasted as long as it did, though I believe it probably should have still been under the transferable warranty period when purchased. So maybe I am unlucky that it survived just past that period, ha.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW GAMING ACX 2.0 inductor shifted? 2018/11/12 14:45:24 (permalink)
    Looks like it can be fixed.
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW GAMING ACX 2.0 inductor shifted? 2018/11/13 06:19:56 (permalink)
    I believe  the evga  logoed  are evga made / manufactured /parts , reference or aftermarket  PCB's   and  NVidia  labled ones use NVidia made speced reference PCB's   [??] 

I was thinking or wondering  if that sticker on the blade may be from some kinda  outside of evga / 3ed party referb shop or a china referb deal ?..lol.. maybe why when you turned in the warrantee  in they see that and declined any  or its just out of warrantee as normally ?  it would now pretty much need to be a later bought as new / evga referb  card to still hold some today 

anymore its no telling  and sold filtered through the used markets  .

if it was a early first released card  maybe this as a review stated with first released 970's 

Furthermore, as we mentioned in our GTX 980 review, GTX 970 has been a pure virtual (no reference card) launch, which means all of NVIDIA’s partners are launching their custom cards right out of the gate. A lot of these have been recycled or otherwise only slightly modified GTX 700/600 series designs, owing to the fact that GM204’s memory bus has been held at 256-bits and its power requirements are so low.
    [Anandtech .com] page 1 link below

''A lot of these have been recycled or otherwise only slightly modified GTX 700/600 series designs''

so what ever they had left over in the factory to slap one together with and sell it ...lol....   [wow]   that turned me off on buying one seeing that  at any full retail prices ..lol..

like sajin said it maybe able to fix  but at what cost if you cant do the job and took it to someone who could try ?  [unless he works for free maybe and you had all the parts needed?]

''Meet The EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0'' [page 2]

look at the guts / inductors of it and see not the same  r22 used in there picture as yours ?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga/2

I don't know outside of you may been lucky you got what you did out of it before it failed 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile