EVGA

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD display drivers crashing to solid black screen

Author
bouncypear
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/02/25 14:08:54 (permalink)
Okay, so here's the full story. Make sure you're sitting.
Last summer, I was out shopping at garage sales, and I went and stopped by a house. Seemed normal enough. However, a guy was selling older computer parts. Pretty out of the ordinary. At the time, I was not very knowledgeable in computer hardware, so I bought the EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Superclocked he was selling for $15, still in its box, used, but with the ESD bag and everything, minus the driver disc. I thought it was a motherboard (lol) but the guy said it worked, and upon receiving the rest of the parts for my new PC about a week ago, I installed it, and it has been working fine- most of the time.

In some games, at random times, the screen will go black and the display will go into power saving mode. Sometimes, this happens with the rest of the PC working (e.g. I can still move/ use voice chat)  but other times the sound will be stuck on loop and the PC freezes, but upon a hard reset everything goes back to normal (unless, of course I start up the game again, and play for a bit).

Here's a list of games I haven't had issues with:

Cities: Skylines
Peggle

These games will crash after a certain amount of playing:

Team Fortress 2 (The crash happens faster if I set textures to Very High, which doesn't affect the framerate that much)
Garry's Mod
Minecraft
Lego The Hobbit (I'm pretty sure this is due to this issue, it happened when the second cutscene began)

I'll probably test the Sims 3 and 4 as well, but this is the list of games I've tested so far. My games list matches others I've seen, like Cities Skylines being unaffected and TF2 crashing.

I have seen people say overvolting to 1025 mV or underclocking the GPU resolves the issue, but I don't want to overvolt until I know for sure it's safe, and if I underclock the GPU I'd lose frames, so I'd rather not (unless I have to, of course). As of now, nothing in my PC has been over/underclocked, and I have not messed with Precision X (which reads 913 mV for voltage).

I know this thread is similar to others, but being 2019 and because some of the links there are dead I'd like some help here- hey, for now, at least I can play Cities: Skylines!

Of course, here are my specs.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
MSI A320M Gaming Pro mATX Motherboard
EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 570 HD Superclocked graphics card (of course)
EVGA 750w PSU
TP-Link AC1300 Dual-Band Wi-Fi adapter model no. Archer T6E
Samsung 500GB 860 EVO M.2 SSD
8GB of RAM
Monitor is a Dell SE198WFP 16:10 with a native resolution of 1440x900, running through DVI.
OS is Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
The driver is the latest NVIDIA driver, 391.35.

That's it, minus the mouse and keyboard!

Regards, bouncypear
post edited by bouncypear - 2019/02/25 17:12:27

*fails tutorial*

12 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD display drivers crashing to solid black screen 2019/02/25 14:34:27 (permalink)
    OS with details ?

Nvidia Driver ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

bouncypear
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD display drivers crashing to solid black screen 2019/02/25 14:38:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for responding so fast- I've edited the first post.

*fails tutorial*
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD display drivers crashing to solid black screen 2019/02/25 14:47:06 (permalink)
    Underclocking the card is 100% safe.
    bouncypear
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD display drivers crashing to solid black screen 2019/02/25 14:48:29 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Underclocking the card is 100% safe.

Oh, yeah, of course, but I'd rather not sacrifice framerate, unless that's the only option I have.

*fails tutorial*
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD display drivers crashing to solid black screen 2019/02/25 19:17:43 (permalink)
    Well for testing purposes it's best to underclock the card to max negative values on the core & memory to see if that will help fix the problem.
    bouncypear
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD display drivers crashing to solid black screen 2019/02/26 16:49:00 (permalink)

Sajin
    Well for testing purposes it's best to underclock the card to max negative values on the core & memory to see if that will help fix the problem.

I tested out underclocking the GPU and memory to max negatives, and even with textures on Very High in TF2, there was no crash, and no slowdown as far as I could tell. Hope that helps!

*fails tutorial*
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD display drivers crashing to solid black screen 2019/02/26 18:15:34 (permalink)
    Perfect, ok, so now that we know that underclocking the card helped fix the issue you have several options to choose from...

#1 Play with the card underclocked, and call it a day.
    #2 Try all available nvidia drivers to see if one will allow you to play TF2 @ stock clocks on the video card without crashing.
    #3 Test the card in another known good working system to see if it will also crash in TF2 @ stock clocks. If it does crash in another system at stock clocks then you know 100% the card is at fault. If it doesn't crash in another known good system then you'll know there is something wrong with your system.
    #4 If the video card crashes in another known good system you could just simply replace the card with a new card, and call it day.
    bouncypear
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD display drivers crashing to solid black screen 2019/02/26 18:45:30 (permalink)
    Alright, cool! I'll take Option 1, since I'm still getting great FPS, and for games like Cities: Skylines I can just change to stock clocks. I'm just glad my card is working, I'll upgrade at some point for sure, but I really appreciate your help! I played with the underclocked settings most of my free time today, with no crashes at all. Just amkes me happy I can finally play video games, smoothly lag-free, and without any more issues. It's a huge relief!

Okay, I'm done yammering. Once again, thanks for your help (and I really appreciate the timely answers)!

*fails tutorial*
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD display drivers crashing to solid black screen 2019/02/26 18:52:53 (permalink)
    No problem.
    bouncypear
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD display drivers crashing to solid black screen 2019/06/13 09:43:16 (permalink)
    Hey, it's me again!

Obviously, the problem has persisted, and I have a few more games that I can categorize below.

Working, w/o underclock
    Cities: Skylines
    The Sims 3 (like 80% sure, the game can be unstable no matter the hardware)
    Older PC games (The Sims 2, Peggle, Plants vs. Zombies)
    Autodesk Inventor Pro 2018 (this is CAD software)
    Terraria
    Audiosurf

Working, w/ underclock
    Team Fortress 2 (as well as every other Source engine game e.g. CS:GO)
    The Sims 4 (non-extensive testing)
    Minecraft

There are some I didn't mention, and that's because I don't know whether or not I was underclocking when I was playing.
    I will be adding to this as I test more games, as well.

There is an issue, however. Source games (I was playing TF2) crash the drivers when recording with OBS, which is disappointing. I would love to record videos of these games and post them online, so this is something I want to get working.

Is it likely that the over-volting solutions shown in other forums are possible as a final solution? I've seen it so much I can't really ignore it.

My system specs have not changed, besides the addition of a DVD drive, as well. I should also clarify that my monitor is running at 75hz, and at the time of the original post it was running at 60hz. This change hasn't made any difference to crash frequency.

Anyways, thanks!
    post edited by bouncypear - 2019/06/13 09:51:49

*fails tutorial*
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD display drivers crashing to solid black screen 2019/06/13 09:50:31 (permalink)
    Maybe time to take the card apart Give a Good Clean Out and replace the TIM with some TF8 or MX-4
    Or maybe even time to upgrade your Graphics Card.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

bouncypear
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD display drivers crashing to solid black screen 2019/06/13 09:54:50 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Maybe time to take the card apart Give a Good Clean Out and replace the TIM with some TF8 or MX-4
    Or maybe even time to upgrade your Graphics Card.

I might give that a try if I find some free time at work, being under supervision would probably be smart as I haven't done anything like that before. In terms of upgrading, once I scrape up enough cash to do that I probably will.

*fails tutorial*
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile