EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW2 GAMING iCX - Only GPU Fan Spins

Author
Lyhtmyst
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/01/12 15:30:49 (permalink)
Hello,

I'm having an issue with this card. The GPU fan spins up fine, but I am unable to make the Power/Memory fan spin up whatsoever. I used EVGA Precision X1 to monitor the temps, and they get above 70C, and it seems it sets the speed to 100% but X1 consistently reports the RPM as 0, even when manually trying to set it to 100%.

I've filed a support ticket, and they advised me trying another PSU, but I don't have a spare to test with, I did change the order of the PCI-E cables but it didn't change anything.

I've also tried switching the VBIOS using the switch on the GPU itself, no luck.

Could this potentially be an issue with the power supply or is it an issue with the fan controller itself that would warrant an RMA of the card? And is it possible to unplug the fan connector on the GPU and plug it into the motherboard header just to test it to bypass the card's fan controller?

Thank you!

EDIT: For the temporary work around I just have the GPU fan manually set to 100% so nothing gets too hot.
post edited by Lyhtmyst - 2021/01/12 15:35:53

6 Replies Related Threads

safan80
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 322
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW2 GAMING iCX - Only GPU Fan Spins 2021/01/12 19:43:43 (permalink)
    seems like  a software issue related to maybe the video card driver?

Try reinstalling your drivers with the DDU method.
    remove the EVGA Precision X1 software first and reinstall it after you reinstall your drivers.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSiJkMnDcg4
    Get the latest version of DDU from:
    https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Get latest Nvidia drivers first before you go through the uninstall process

https://www.nvidia.com/Do.../index.aspx?lang=en-us
    Lyhtmyst
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW2 GAMING iCX - Only GPU Fan Spins 2021/01/13 08:18:51 (permalink)
    safan80
    seems like  a software issue related to maybe the video card driver?

Try reinstalling your drivers with the DDU method.
    remove the EVGA Precision X1 software first and reinstall it after you reinstall your drivers.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSiJkMnDcg4
    Get the latest version of DDU from:

Get latest Nvidia drivers first before you go through the uninstall process

Hello, thanks for the response.

I uninstalled X1 (using the Steam store version), ran DDU, then ran the GeForce driver installation, and then reinstalled X1.

No change. And it's not a display issue, I've verified the fan does not spin physically either in my case.
    Athian
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 352
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW2 GAMING iCX - Only GPU Fan Spins 2021/01/13 08:38:37 (permalink)
    Lyhtmyst

Hello, thanks for the response.

I uninstalled X1 (using the Steam store version), ran DDU, then ran the GeForce driver installation, and then reinstalled X1.

No change. And it's not a display issue, I've verified the fan does not spin physically either in my case.

Is the fan physically hard to move? If you set the fan speed to aggressive in Precision X1 and link all the fans. Does it still not spin? It is possible it is seized up due to dust, blow some air on it and you can also use WD-40 to lubricate it (mind you this is a temporary fix and will need better lubricant to keep the fan running long term). See if that does anything. If Precision X1 is set to default or not installed. The fans will not spin until the area for the other fans gets too hot.
    Lyhtmyst
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW2 GAMING iCX - Only GPU Fan Spins 2021/01/13 08:44:22 (permalink)
    Athian

Is the fan physically hard to move? If you set the fan speed to aggressive in Precision X1 and link all the fans. Does it still not spin? It is possible it is seized up due to dust, blow some air on it and you can also use WD-40 to lubricate it (mind you this is a temporary fix and will need better lubricant to keep the fan running long term). See if that does anything. If Precision X1 is set to default or not installed. The fans will not spin until the area for the other fans gets too hot.

The fan is not physically hard to move, both seem to spin freely. I believe I've tried that before in X1 but I'll try the aggressive fan curve and linking them again and take more screenshots of what occurs.

From other posts on the forums the Power/Memory fan should spin up depending on if the iCX sensors go above 60, but I want to reconfirm it gets that hot first.
    Lyhtmyst
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW2 GAMING iCX - Only GPU Fan Spins 2021/01/13 09:02:04 (permalink)
    Ok, here's some results.

Lyhtmyst
    Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW2 GAMING iCX - Only GPU Fan Spins 2021/01/21 15:26:48 (permalink)
    As a follow up, just did a cross-ship RMA (thanks EVGA!), replacement card is working as intended.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile