EVGA

EVGA GTX780 w/ 980Ti Hybrid AIO Install........

Author
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 40
2017/05/09 10:39:28 (permalink)
   Ok, so I just wanted to make a quick thread and give everyone a update on what happened with the 980Ti Hybrid AIO Cooler I won from Scarlet-Tech, a big thanks to you again by the way ST. :) If anyone has any questions ask away and ill do my best to give you whatever info you need.
   So I received the package from ST and it was in perfect shape. No crushes, tears, scratches etc.... in the outside box which I was happy to see. So I opened it the first day I got it and just out of curiosity I pulled the block/pump out and compared the mount on it to the spring screw positions in my old 8800 GTS 320's, GTX 260 Core 216's and a 560Ti and the mount matches up with the same positioning on all those cards also. So really, you could mount this on probably any Nvidia card at least from the 8xxx series and up. So before I started this project I decided to set some extra time aside to clean everything I could in the case with this install, which ended up delaying me a extra week almost to be able to put enough time aside plus I wanted to have the time to manufacture any parts I might need to get this done.
   So Friday night I started tearing down the card and the case for cleaning and didn't get everything done until Sunday. THe whole PCB got swabbed and cleaned, I added some Fujipoly pads to some extra spots on the card, removed the factory TIM that came on the block and used some CM Thermal Fusion 400 instead. So then I had to put the cards base plate back on and I ran into the big question of what I wanted to do with the shroud. Its a 780, so I really didn't like the idea of having the 980ti shroud on it plus the shroud that came with the kit I don't really like the style of. So that leaves me with the original shroud but the front end where the block/pump mounts wont work without cutting up the original shroud and, even though im out of warranty on this card, I really didn't want to ruin the stock shroud. So I decided I would use the original but fabricate my own front end piece of shroud out of sheet aluminum, cut it by hand using the original piece as a template and see if it works or not. So I got it all made and the whole card buttoned back up and mounted in the case in a push/pull config, and I decided to leave the 560Ti in for now too for PhysX.  I also swapped out my EVGA Sc CPU Cooler for my Xigmatek Balder for now so I can clean that cooler cause it was a mess.
   So before first boot I went thru the whole case and wire runs to make sure there wasn't anything loose, broke, etc.... and finally booted. I get to the desktop and see that its idleing at 19c and the 560Ti was idleing at 27c. The CPU was at 31c at 4.2 ghz. Normally, the 780 idled at 32c and so did the cpu, more or less. Before I got this cooler for the gcard I had gotten Batman Arkham Knight and tried to play it in my last config. Well, that wasn't happening! On Low everything, the game beat my card up bad, even with adaptive vsync, it ended up hitting 72c in the first 5 mins with 100% fan and the cpu was at 62c, so I shut that down and that was the end of that. What a difference a cooler makes!!! After installing this cooler, I was able to put the settings in Arkham Knight on Medium and it never got higher than 38c and the cpu didn't get above 44c!!! I played for 2 or 3 hours easy. I mounted the rad unit right behind my cpu cooler setup which def seems to have helped cool my cpu too, lol. So a happy accident id say cause I def didn't plan that. I didn't have to put the fans higher than 70% in Afterburner either which has made the whole rig much quieter and the pump is super quiet. You would never even know it was working really. If I had known that I would really see this dramatic of a effect I would have purchased this unit myself awhile ago. As far as the shroud goes, I didn't paint it or clean it up etc.... yet cause I wanted to test everything first before I went that far just in case it turned out to be a disaster, so I will be painting this DIY shroud in a month or two probably when I break down the rig a little for a good cleaning. So thanx again to ST for the hardware and a pat on the back to EVGA for making a fantastically performing product that was so good on first boot that I actually was thinking either the temp sensors were broke or the software was borked, lol. \m/ 

Attached Image(s)

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile