EVGA GTX1080 Classified shutdown

Author
Irmdall
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/05/06 10:28:31 (permalink)
Hello!
I hope someone here can help me with my Card since support did not respond to my problem...

My Card is a GTX1080 Classified with the Thermal Pad Mod applied. The Card is not overclocked or any other parts of my computer.
Sometimes when i play Games like Destiny 2 or League of Legends, my Screen turns black and the fans on my Card turn to 100% power. i can't do anything but restart my PC. I tried to underclock it, cleaning it completly and even got a complete new system. Since the new Cards are near impossible to get, thx fking scalpers and bots, i want to use it as long as i can till i get my hands on a 30-Series Card. Every Driver is up-to-date and a clean install of everything has already been done. FurMark ran without any problems for over 1 hour on max settings and VRAM-Test did also run without any problems. Temps are also in perfect range...

I list my Systems here, since on both this problems happens:

Old System
-Intel Core i7-6700k
-ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Impact
-Corsair Vengeance LED 16 GB DDR4 3.200 MHz
-EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Classified
-Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
-Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
-beQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 650W
-Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2
-2x Corsair Air Series SP120 PWM
-2x beQuiet SilentWings 2
-Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

New System:
-Intel Core i7-11700k
-Asus MAXIMUS XIII HERO Z590
-Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600MHz
-Samsung 980 PRO 500 GB
-SAMSUNG 860 EVO Basic, 1 TB
-Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
-Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
-Alphacool Eisbaer 420
-5x Noctua NF-A14 PWM
-bequiet Silent Base 802

I really hope someone here can help me fixing my Card...

7 Replies Related Threads

abagailsflorist
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re: EVGA GTX1080 Classified shutdown 2021/05/06 11:07:57 (permalink)
    Since you've put the card in a new system and the problem still persists, I would say it's def something with the card.
    Now, that being said - what could it be?  If I had to guess I would say thermals. I'd replace the pads/paste and see what happens.
    Perhaps (just perhaps) those 2 games access a different part of the GPU memory?  I dont know how that works, so it's speculation on my part. 
    Maybe uninstall the Nvidia driver and see what happens with the plain jane Windows Update one?
    At any rate, yeah it sucks.....sorry you have to go thru this. Good luck!

Edit: Oh - couldn't hurt to look at the contacts on the card up close.....maybe clean them. I usually use a pencil eraser, but YMMV

Does the card sit 'level' in the slot?  I have a RAID card that if you push it in all the way, the back part of the card will rise up just a little bit. I have to fenangle it a bit to get it to seat good in the slot.
    post edited by abagailsflorist - 2021/05/06 11:11:00
    Irmdall
    Re: EVGA GTX1080 Classified shutdown 2021/05/06 14:35:20 (permalink)
    abagailsflorist
    Since you've put the card in a new system and the problem still persists, I would say it's def something with the card.
    Now, that being said - what could it be?  If I had to guess I would say thermals. I'd replace the pads/paste and see what happens.
    Perhaps (just perhaps) those 2 games access a different part of the GPU memory?  I dont know how that works, so it's speculation on my part. 
    Maybe uninstall the Nvidia driver and see what happens with the plain jane Windows Update one?
    At any rate, yeah it sucks.....sorry you have to go thru this. Good luck!

Edit: Oh - couldn't hurt to look at the contacts on the card up close.....maybe clean them. I usually use a pencil eraser, but YMMV

Does the card sit 'level' in the slot?  I have a RAID card that if you push it in all the way, the back part of the card will rise up just a little bit. I have to fenangle it a bit to get it to seat good in the slot.

Thanks for your answer!

Pads and Thermal Paste got already replaced when i applied the thermal Mod years ago. The thermals are Just as i Said completly normal around 50-60°C while running Games. And this only happens while gaming

I tried rolling Back some drivers and with the June Windows Update also.

I can try looking for the contacts yes.

The Card was installed directly into the Motherboard Slot in my old build, but now i use a Riser for the vertical Installation and i'm pretty sure that everything is in its place. Nevertheless it happened in both systems...

I got some Pads and paste and reapply everything again and Look for anything that could be loose. But as i Said, i've already done that.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA GTX1080 Classified shutdown 2021/05/07 01:19:40 (permalink)
    abagailsflorist

+1
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: EVGA GTX1080 Classified shutdown 2021/05/07 01:43:15 (permalink)
    Irmdall
    Hello!
    I hope someone here can help me with my Card since support did not respond to my problem...

My Card is a GTX1080 Classified with the Thermal Pad Mod applied. The Card is not overclocked or any other parts of my computer.
    Sometimes when i play Games like Destiny 2 or League of Legends, my Screen turns black and the fans on my Card turn to 100% power. i can't do anything but restart my PC. I tried to underclock it, cleaning it completly and even got a complete new system. Since the new Cards are near impossible to get, thx fking scalpers and bots, i want to use it as long as i can till i get my hands on a 30-Series Card. Every Driver is up-to-date and a clean install of everything has already been done. FurMark ran without any problems for over 1 hour on max settings and VRAM-Test did also run without any problems. Temps are also in perfect range...

I list my Systems here, since on both this problems happens:

Old System
    -Intel Core i7-6700k
    -ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Impact
    -Corsair Vengeance LED 16 GB DDR4 3.200 MHz
    -Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    -Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
    -Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2
    -2x Corsair Air Series SP120 PWM
    -2x beQuiet SilentWings 2
    -Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

New System:
    -Intel Core i7-11700k
    -Asus MAXIMUS XIII HERO Z590
    -Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600MHz
    -Samsung 980 PRO 500 GB
    -SAMSUNG 860 EVO Basic, 1 TB
    -Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    -Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
    -Alphacool Eisbaer 420
    -5x Noctua NF-A14 PWM
    -bequiet Silent Base 802

I really hope someone here can help me fixing my Card...

It appears you're using the same PSU which is quite a few years old. Unstable under load can also be caused by a power supply.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

tattude69
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 465
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: EVGA GTX1080 Classified shutdown 2021/05/07 05:56:55 (permalink)
    i have the same gpu. i have seen cases with my gpu where having HDR on causes the driver to crash. Honestly if you can run furmark i would be leaning towards drivers . Are those the only 2 games that crash? (try different game) can it run free  benchmarks like heaven,Valley? When HDR crashes my system. I can sometimes reset using (WIN+CTRL+Shift+B) (If you are using a power link remove it). Also try to test a different PSU just to rule it out. 53 to 60c was normal temps for mine prior to water cooling. Also try running the game without XMP on your ram. (default is 2133mhz) Running your ram at 3600mhz is an overclock. Anything above 3200 mhz is an overclock on that cpu.  Also try playing the game without corsair link running in background. I do not play either one of those games so i can not offer anything on those. I was also under the impression that Trident Z Neo was optimized for AMD are those sticks approved for the motherboard? From their website (Trident Z Neo brings unparalleled memory performance and vibrant RGB lighting to any gaming PC or workstation with latest AMD Ryzen CPUs and AMD DDR4 motherboards) Not saying they wont work just wondering if they need fine tuning to work well. I would check their part number. i see they have lots of variations (voltage and timing) Just trying to offer some suggestions.
    Here are the part numbers for the 3600mhz 32gb Kits from Asus for your motherboard
    F4-3600C19Q-32GSXW
    F43600C16Q-32GTZRC
    F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
    F4-3600C16Q-32GTZN
    F4-3600C17Q-16GVK
    post edited by tattude69 - 2021/05/07 06:53:40

Irmdall
    Re: EVGA GTX1080 Classified shutdown 2021/05/07 13:39:58 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    It appears you're using the same PSU which is quite a few years old. Unstable under load can also be caused by a power supply.

A new 850W PSU is already on it's way.
    Irmdall
    Re: EVGA GTX1080 Classified shutdown 2021/05/07 13:47:19 (permalink)
    tattude69
    i have the same gpu. i have seen cases with my gpu where having HDR on causes the driver to crash. Honestly if you can run furmark i would be leaning towards drivers . Are those the only 2 games that crash? (try different game) can it run free  benchmarks like heaven,Valley? When HDR crashes my system. I can sometimes reset using (WIN+CTRL+Shift+B) (If you are using a power link remove it). Also try to test a different PSU just to rule it out. 53 to 60c was normal temps for mine prior to water cooling. Also try running the game without XMP on your ram. (default is 2133mhz) Running your ram at 3600mhz is an overclock. Anything above 3200 mhz is an overclock on that cpu.  Also try playing the game without corsair link running in background. I do not play either one of those games so i can not offer anything on those. I was also under the impression that Trident Z Neo was optimized for AMD are those sticks approved for the motherboard? From their website (Trident Z Neo brings unparalleled memory performance and vibrant RGB lighting to any gaming PC or workstation with latest AMD Ryzen CPUs and AMD DDR4 motherboards) Not saying they wont work just wondering if they need fine tuning to work well. I would check their part number. i see they have lots of variations (voltage and timing) Just trying to offer some suggestions.
    Here are the part numbers for the 3600mhz 32gb Kits from Asus for your motherboard
    F4-3600C19Q-32GSXW
    F43600C16Q-32GTZRC
    F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
    F4-3600C16Q-32GTZN
    F4-3600C17Q-16GVK

I also Play Star Citizen where this does indeed Not happened so far...

XMP ist off and i do Not use HDR, since my old Monitor does Not Support it. And yes the Trident Neo ist optimized for AMD, but runs perfectly with my Intel CPU (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC).

I cleaned everything today and replaced the thermal Pads again with also New Paste, made Sure that the Card sits thight in the Slot and it still happened twice today. First time after about 1 hour of Destiny and then after about 30mins.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile