Helpful ReplyEVGA GTX 980TI PC restarting issue

Author
keenstefo
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/01/31 13:23:18 (permalink)
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has had the same experience with a 980TI as i'm having now.

I've had a faithful EVGA 980TI for more than 2 years, and it was running great until recently when the following issue emerged,

Under heavy loads it started restarting my PC, mainly when playing more demanding games after several minutes my PC reboots. This would occur regularly after the first restart (the first restart during the day takes a bit longer, this led me to believe it was a temperature issue).

So i did a few tests to find the culprit component such as removing everything but the CPU, main SSD, 1 RAM, etc, etc.  Tried out with a different PSU with 980TI (still the problem is there), different GPU(PC worked fine with another GPU).
Put the 980TI in another PC and the same problem occurred. So the GPU is the problem...

Which leads me to my question, has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a solution for this? or is are the days numbered for the ol' faithful 980TI?

It currently works fine under normal loads, when I set a custom user defined max temp to 70c and fan speed to 40% it works normal for hours without a restart.

PS.
I cleaned it a few days ago completely, took it apart, cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, replaced the thermal paste with Thermal grizzly Kryonaut, put it together and the problem is still there. (Idle temp is down for about 2-3c as a result).

Sorry for the long post and looking forward to your replies!
joeymir
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 732
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA GTX 980TI PC restarting issue 2019/02/01 18:47:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby keenstefo 2019/02/02 08:32:31
It does indeed sound like the card is failing. You can always try and underclock the card some and see if that helps stability, or if it's under any warranty still, warranty it out. Worst case there is always the oven method, but I wouldn't go there until a last resort.

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

keenstefo
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GTX 980TI PC restarting issue 2019/02/02 08:34:40 (permalink)
joeymir
It does indeed sound like the card is failing. You can always try and underclock the card some and see if that helps stability, or if it's under any warranty still, warranty it out. Worst case there is always the oven method, but I wouldn't go there until a last resort.

Thanks for the reply!

I might keep using it underclocked until I find a solution or get a new card, then ill bake it as a last option. If all else fails, go for the oven ^^
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile