EVGA GTX 980 FREEZES SYSTEM

Author
oliveirc
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/05/26 19:14:32 (permalink)
Hello all. 

So I've had this EVGA GTX 980 since 2016. It came along with a system that I bought from a computer savvy acquaintance. When this card works, it's amazing. I love it and it gives me the best results for the games I play. (Skyrim, Overwatch, The Division, League of Legends, Apex Legends and etc.) I also stream/record game play and it works fantastic when it works. However, I have always had these issues for years now where the whole system freezes during game play or while watching videos on Youtube/Amazon Prime. It has gotten much worst recently since I began using my system more often. I have tried many things to try to fix this issue throughout the years but some fixes only work temporarily and others don't work at all. The best temporary fix I have attempted was to follow these directions in this famous post on this forums and I was able to go 2 whole months without a single crash or freeze: 

Basic troubleshooting steps. Windows clean boot, clean driver install, debug mode, etc.  
I can't post the link due to spam but I am sure you know what post I am talking about. I was a very happy man then but sadly this was only temporary and freezes still occur. These freezes can happen a few minutes into a gaming session or hours into a gaming session. It is very frustrating because I end up having to end the stream or redo recordings. My wife and I have been recently watching Rescue Me on Amazon Prime and it freezes every time, maybe 10 minutes in. During game play the screen just locks in place. Only background noises continue to play such as wind or nature sounds(during Skyrim). I am going to upload a picture of of my temperatures. The picture also includes my motherboard, processor and RAM. 

Whenever I update my GPU drivers, I always do a custom clean install and I only install the GPU driver and PhysX. I don't do the audio drivers or GeForce Experience because I heard these can cause problems too. I no longer overclock anything because I heard that can also be the cause of problems. 

I am currently running Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
2x 8 GB RAM. 
The rest of the information should be on the image I attached. Let me know if you guys need more information. 

I am not the most tech savvy person. I just chose to learn the minimum and would rather just buy a rig from someone instead of actually taking the time to learn. Well now I see that worked against me. Let me know if you can help. I am willing to learn and try to fix this issue. It could be that my card has been dying for a long time now but I would rather know for certain before getting a new one. 
post edited by oliveirc - 2019/05/26 19:16:58

Attached Image(s)

7 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA GTX 980 FREEZES SYSTEM 2019/05/28 15:07:36 (permalink)
    What Browser ?  Hardware acceleration turned off in browser ?

Have Any OC on your system ?

Test with CPU @ stock setings
    RAM turn off XMP & set volts & timing manually

GPU running any OC software ?

Run DDU to cleanup your drivers (use safe mode with reboot)

scan your system for malware

What have you changed in Nvidia Control Panel ?

Which port on the GPU card are you using to connect your monitor ?

What Monitor & resolution ?

Windows in Performance Mode ?

What Temp when it crashes ?

Room Temp ?  I see the photo of system temp - need to know room temp as a comparative

Could possibly need the TIM changed on your 980 - the thermal compound between the GPU chip & the heatsink

Win 10 what Version number ?  (like 1803)

What OS Build number ? (like 17134.706)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

oliveirc
    Re: EVGA GTX 980 FREEZES SYSTEM 2019/05/28 16:10:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for the response! I apologize in advanced if I miss any information. 

What Browser ?  Hardware acceleration turned off in browser ?
     Browser is Chrome. Hardware acceleration is currently on. I am assuming it needs to be off so I have done that. My main concern is crashes during game play but to have the system lock up entirely while watching videos is insane lol. 

Have Any OC on your system ?
     I used to run EVGA Precision XOC but I haven't in months. I felt like it caused more trouble for me so I kept it uninstalled when I followed the directions for DDU. Everything should be back at factory default settings including memory and processor.  

Test with CPU @ stock settings
    Has been running on stock settings for months. Still crashes.

RAM turn off XMP & set volts & timing manually
     Let me know what these should look like in BIOS just in case. 

GPU running any OC software ?
     NO OC software for GPU since I am afraid that will cause more issues. 

Run  to cleanup your drivers (use safe mode with reboot)
     I have ran DDU more times than I can count but do you suggest trying again?

scan your system for malware
    What do you suggest I use for this?

What have you changed in Nvidia Control Panel ?
     I believe I haven't changed anything. I have attempted Debug Mode but I didn't quite understand how to use it. 

Which port on the GPU card are you using to connect your monitor ?
     I currently have 2 monitors. I use duo link DVI for the main monitor and HDMI for the second. When the system locks up, they both freeze. 

What Monitor & resolution ?
    Main is ASUS VG248QE at 1920 x 1080 and I got it a few months ago after my old monitor fried.. probably due to overclocking for years but it's a beast. The secondary is just a tiny Acer S202HL at 1600 x 900 and I use it to just monitor temperatures and streaming software. Crashes happened before I added the second monitor for streaming. 

Windows in Performance Mode ?
    If you mean under the power settings then yes it's in high performance mode. 

What Temp when it crashes ?
    Temperature depends because it could crash during idle which stays around 58 to 61 C for the GPU or could be during a youtube session. Also happens during gaming where temperatures range from 65 C to 74 C. I have never seen the GPU go above 74 C since I started tracking during gaming. 

Room Temp ?  I see the photo of system temp - need to know room temp as a comparative
    I am not sure because I don't have a thermometer I can use. I live in the state of Georgia so it can get pretty hot outside. Currently the temperatures outside are lows of 69 F to a high of 93 F. I keep a fan running in this room just in case it is a temperature issue. 

Could possibly need the TIM changed on your 980 - the thermal compound between the GPU chip & the heatsink
    I hope that could be it. That would change everything. Any good way of testing or changing this? Let me know if you can point me to a guide. 

Win 10 what Version number ?  (like 1803)
     Windows 10 Pro 1809

What OS Build number ? (like 17134.706)
    OS Build 17763.529

Like I said please let me know if you need more information. And thanks for replying. 

post edited by oliveirc - 2019/05/28 16:18:05
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: EVGA GTX 980 FREEZES SYSTEM 2019/05/28 16:47:07 (permalink)
    oliveirc
    I have always had these issues for years now

happens during gaming where temperatures range from 65 C to 74 C. I have never seen the GPU go above 74 C since I started tracking during gaming.

Those GPU temps are good, shouldn't be an issue there..What you describe could be system memory-related, as well as other things..So let's play darts, I'll throw a few 

Have you made sure that the RAM is set to run at it's rated Speed/Timing/Voltage and with a 2T or 3T Command Rate in the BIOS?..Clear CMOS to return BIOS to default settings?

There's Memtest86+ to run and check for bad/failing RAM..Here is their site with info on memory testing and more optional downloads.

Listing all your hardware might be helpful.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

oliveirc
    Re: EVGA GTX 980 FREEZES SYSTEM 2019/05/28 17:08:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply. as far as memory I got these back in July of 2017. I still had issues with my system locking up before I purchased these and they continued to happen after I put them in. I'll take a look a BIOS to see what I have. 

Memory - Corsair CMY16GX3M2B2133C11 Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 DRAM 2133MHz (PC3 17000) C11 Memory Kit - Black 1.5V

Motherboard - ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

Processor - AMD FX(tm)-9590 Eight-Core Processor, 4716 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

I'm not sure what other information I could provide. I attached a picture of how I put it in. I believe it's the correct slots. 

Attached Image(s)

oliveirc
    Re: EVGA GTX 980 FREEZES SYSTEM 2019/05/28 17:36:12 (permalink)
    For some reason I am not able to post Imgur links or multiple images at once to show what I have on my BIOS. Not sure what I'm doing wrong in this forum so I will only upload this one for now.
    post edited by oliveirc - 2019/05/28 17:39:27

Attached Image(s)

oliveirc
    Re: EVGA GTX 980 FREEZES SYSTEM 2019/05/28 17:59:05 (permalink)
    I just suffered a crash since my last post while playing The Elder Scrolls Online. Since my screen freezes I can actually take pictures of my temperatures during the crash. Hope it helps. I am so confused. 

Attached Image(s)

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: EVGA GTX 980 FREEZES SYSTEM 2019/05/28 18:22:02 (permalink)
    There is a BIOS Update available (Version 2201, looks like you have 2101 now) you should install, not sayin' that's the problem but it's best to have the latest one..Use USB BIOS Flashback and a flash drive, that's the simplest and safest way, rename the BIOS file to C5FZ.CAP or it won't flash, don't flash in Windows..See page 2-12 in the Mobo Manual.

The RAM should be manually set in BIOS to the Tested Speed/Latency (Timings)/Voltage specs on the left and at a DRAM Command Rate of 2T..Command Rate is important.

Run Memtest86+ from a flash drive to be sure there's no errors.

Get the RAM set to what it should be and with no errors so that can almost certainly be ruled out.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile