EVGA

EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options!

Author
ArcherV2
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/01/21 22:03:53 (permalink)
Hello!

My first time posting here but I've been a long time EVGA customer due to the customer service and quality of the products overall! My faithful little GTX 970 FTW seems to have called it quits, I'm not electronically savvy enough to figure out what is going on and from the depth of online research I've been doing, I think a repair by my own hands may be a bit out of my comfort zone. I'm reluctant to try baking as I don't have a *spare* oven to cook electronics in and from what I read it's a fairly temporary fix! 

For the curious - my computer suddenly decided to stop booting one day, no power, no post, absolutely nothing. Frustrated I pulled it all apart, putting things back one by one. Lo and behold, anytime I had the GPU plugged in, the system refused to power on, the fans on the cooler would jitter and try to come to life but wouldn't even make a full rotation. No boot - popped in my spare 750ti and everything came back to life. Tried it in another system and had the same problems with no power.

Obviously this card is far out of warranty, but we're kind of in unprecedented territory right now with how the GPU is acting. No one truly knows when in-stock and affordable new GPU's will be available. So I'm really looking to anyone here that can suggest who I might look to for expert repairs? Would someone who specializes in small electronics have the know-how to repair a GPU? Or is this something that  could only be done by EVGA? My wife and I have been gaming during the various lockdowns in my city and with one of our GPU's dead, it's been a real bummer that we've had to stop playing any titles too demanding. 

Any help, ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again everyone. 

20 Replies Related Threads

Almighty_Moe_FR
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/22 01:43:16 (permalink)
    Hey ArcherV2.

I'm assuming you are US based?   Although it's pretty much the same around the world, do find that the US market is heavily dominated by bots, scalpers than for example for some sites in Europe.    
    Your situation isn't very different from many others, unfortunately I don't think there is a silver bullet solution here that's going to make it easy at all.   Other than rolling the dice for a 1/100,000 or 1/50,000 chance with newegg shuffle, finding deals on facebook markeplace (which I hate, and would never use), ebay, craigslist (ensure your credit card has buyer protection), or asking friends and family if they have rigs they really aren't using anymore (it happens), it's going to be difficult to recommend a suitable answer. 

Yeah, don't bother baking.   It does sound from your diagnosis that the 970 is a goner.   Obvioulsy you tried it in your wife's rig or she use a laptop?  (Jealous you play with your wife BTW, mine has zero interest).  

Regarding electronics repair - do you have experience in doing such repairs?   I recall when I was fixing up my 90s Pentium tower, and joined forums how to replace a simple clock chip that died that preventing it from booting, the phrase I heard over and over again was "you can't afford to have cheap (wrong) tools" which essentially meant until I stopped playing with a cheap soldering iron, solder wick, spring loaded solder sucker and got an affordable solder sucking station, it was much more stressful and difficult to do while not damaging the board or components.    That was even with a through hole mounted IC, not a surface mount part which is pretty much everything in a GPU.   It would probably not even be worth you pulling things apart unless you have some decent equipment.   Granted if it's dead and have nothing to lose, you wouldn't increase your chances of success my friend.

EDIT:  Expert repairs, to your question - have not heard of anyone mentioning getting GPU board repairs done.  Again depends on your location, but unless you are near like a Louis Rossman type person, my guess is the cost to fix it would probably be beyond what it would cost to buy a used one.   Then again this is unprecedented times, so may be wrong here.

In any case I really feel for you.   This is not an enviable position whatsoever, and really stinks.   
    Maybe someone else here will give some magical response which I would love to learn as well, but other than doing a hellva lot of searching, calling local best buys or if your in a lucky area with a microcenter - going to be hard to find new, and need to exercise caution if you buy used.

Good luck.
    post edited by Almighty_Moe_FR - 2022/01/22 01:50:26
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102253
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/22 03:03:26 (permalink)
    Almighty_Moe_FR
    Hey ArcherV2.

I'm assuming you are US based?   Although it's pretty much the same around the world, do find that the US market is heavily dominated by bots, scalpers than for example for some sites in Europe.    
    Your situation isn't very different from many others, unfortunately I don't think there is a silver bullet solution here that's going to make it easy at all.   Other than rolling the dice for a 1/100,000 or 1/50,000 chance with newegg shuffle, finding deals on facebook markeplace (which I hate, and would never use), ebay, craigslist (ensure your credit card has buyer protection), or asking friends and family if they have rigs they really aren't using anymore (it happens), it's going to be difficult to recommend a suitable answer. 

Yeah, don't bother baking.   It does sound from your diagnosis that the 970 is a goner.   Obvioulsy you tried it in your wife's rig or she use a laptop?  (Jealous you play with your wife BTW, mine has zero interest).  

Regarding electronics repair - do you have experience in doing such repairs?   I recall when I was fixing up my 90s Pentium tower, and joined forums how to replace a simple clock chip that died that preventing it from booting, the phrase I heard over and over again was "you can't afford to have cheap (wrong) tools" which essentially meant until I stopped playing with a cheap soldering iron, solder wick, spring loaded solder sucker and got an affordable solder sucking station, it was much more stressful and difficult to do while not damaging the board or components.    That was even with a through hole mounted IC, not a surface mount part which is pretty much everything in a GPU.   It would probably not even be worth you pulling things apart unless you have some decent equipment.   Granted if it's dead and have nothing to lose, you wouldn't increase your chances of success my friend.

EDIT:  Expert repairs, to your question - have not heard of anyone mentioning getting GPU board repairs done.  Again depends on your location, but unless you are near like a Louis Rossman type person, my guess is the cost to fix it would probably be beyond what it would cost to buy a used one.   Then again this is unprecedented times, so may be wrong here.

In any case I really feel for you.   This is not an enviable position whatsoever, and really stinks.   
    Maybe someone else here will give some magical response which I would love to learn as well, but other than doing a hellva lot of searching, calling local best buys or if your in a lucky area with a microcenter - going to be hard to find new, and need to exercise caution if you buy used.

Good luck.

In the USA there are a few small companies willing to make some GPU repairs. One of them is Northridgefix, but at this time they are no longer taking GPU repairs due to a backlog. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/22 03:41:37 (permalink)
    Found another company here but I do not know them. I do not know anything about their repair quality:

https://www.laptopmd.com/graphics-card-repair/

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Almighty_Moe_FR
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/22 04:45:06 (permalink)
    If anyone does decide to go the GPU professional repair route, would be very curious on what they quote, what card it is, what they find, and indeed if they fix it.   Any detail shared would be great!
    harley262
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 390
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/22 05:05:02 (permalink)
    use this guy if you in amerika, he makes movies, and fixes stuff.

https://www.techcemetery.com/request-a-quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fKbpZI-ltY&ab_channel=TechCemetery

harley262
    iCX Member
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/22 05:21:02 (permalink)
    and dont bake your card, that is a long shot, last ditch, hail mary and more.  only if after youve stabbed it, injected voltage, visually inspected, thermally imaged and more to which you find nothing could you try to swanson tv diner it.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/22 06:38:26 (permalink)
    harley262
    "... you try to swanson tv diner it."

LOL

ArcherV2
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/22 09:49:13 (permalink)
    WOW

I did not expect to get so many great replies in overnight! I didn't think people used forums all that often anymore - I am glad to see thee things are still kicking around for assistance on these things!

First off - I'm Canadian! 

Second - thank you so much for affirming a few of my thoughts regarding baking. I've been entering the NewEgg shuffle everyday not totally sure if they even allow Canadians to enter, but I thought I had read something about a Canadian being successful in winning a shuffle so I figure why not right? I may look into getting some quotes on GPU repair considering the market up here in Canada is bad if not worse than you guys have it down south. GTX 1060's are going for roughly $400 CAD! (320 Freedom Units) - I have tried HEAT GUNNING the back of the PCB to see if that would assist in anything - no substantial progress thus far. I did do a bit of Youtubing and stumbled across what harley262 mentioned "techcemetary" and he was able to replace one of the modules and get the card functioning again, I may pull out the multimeter and see if I can get just as lucky. I do a bit of DIY keyboard building on the side so I am pretty comfortable with a soldering iron but I think the level of complexity required here may be beyond my ability! Again - I suppose I can't work less than it already does now so any option is on the table.

Thanks again everyone for all the resources. I will keep you updated if anything changes!
    harley262
    iCX Member
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/22 12:55:22 (permalink)
    memory express keeps getting gpus in stock if you have one near you, in person only, no returns.
    AndrewGSQ
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/22 19:55:38 (permalink)
    I'd just get a cheap used replacement or just use your 750ti until you can actually get your hands on one of the new cards at a good price.
    AndrewGSQ
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/22 19:58:47 (permalink)
    harley262
    memory express keeps getting gpus in stock if you have one near you, in person only, no returns.

for real? I'm trying to get a 3060 at a good price but I've checked memory express and every single thing is not in stock. I live in Canada Calgary btw

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/23 02:06:23 (permalink)
    About the only GPU I could find online in Canada was this card, but it isn't cheap. Sadly it is not an EVGA card:

https://www.newegg.ca/zot...IADGEFE75838-_-Product

harley262
    iCX Member
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/23 04:12:58 (permalink)
    AndrewGSQ
    harley262

for real? I'm trying to get a 3060 at a good price but I've checked memory express and every single thing is not in stock. I live in Canada Calgary btw

yes, all of there stores have been getting stock in. you have to check everyday.
    Almighty_Moe_FR
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/23 05:05:10 (permalink)
    harley262
    use this guy if you in amerika, he makes movies, and fixes stuff.

Cool channel.   I subscribed to it.
    Now only wondering what he would charge for such services.  Both if it's subsidized as a YT vid and if it wasn't.
    harley262
    iCX Member
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/23 05:13:00 (permalink)
    Almighty_Moe_FR

Cool channel.   I subscribed to it.
    Now only wondering what he would charge for such services.  Both if it's subsidized as a YT vid and if it wasn't.

1080ti is $50 to diagnose or $200 plus parts to repair. you can contact him for a quote.
    AndrewGSQ
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/23 08:02:41 (permalink)
    harley262
    AndrewGSQ
    harley262

yes, all of there stores have been getting stock in. you have to check everyday.

i've been checking every store memory express, best buy, and newegg and I never see a 3060 or 6600 in stock. Can memory express have the card at a local store even though it says sold out in their website location thingy
    harley262
    iCX Member
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/23 09:00:27 (permalink)
    no, i think the website is accurate for in store availability. they just sell quickly at store open, and the cheaper cards dont last.
    AndrewGSQ
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/23 09:16:22 (permalink)
    harley262
    no, i think the website is accurate for in store availability. they just sell quickly at store open, and the cheaper cards dont last.

yeah I never see them instock for instore availability do they maybe sell so quick where they don't even update it?
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/23 10:14:12 (permalink)
    If you are friendly with store staff sometimes you can find an employee that will tell you when deliveries normally happen. It's important to know sometimes a winter storm happens but as long as you are nice and friendly to staff they will normally want you to get the card over the people who come in and are jerks to staff.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

AndrewGSQ
    Re: EVGA GTX 970 FTW - Out of Order and I'm out of options! 2022/01/23 10:50:06 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    If you are friendly with store staff sometimes you can find an employee that will tell you when deliveries normally happen. It's important to know sometimes a winter storm happens but as long as you are nice and friendly to staff they will normally want you to get the card over the people who come in and are jerks to staff.

Yeah seems like a good option, I'm also gonna be going for the EVGA bstock this week and planned to get a good shot at that. And the 3050 is releasing this week so that might make stores like Best Buy restock.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile